Geocache wedding proposal?

02teufel

Hello everyone.

I'm a nube, as is likely obvious. Anyway, I am going to propose to my girlfriend, but I want it to be special, unique, and related to something she really enjoys.

Enter Geocaching.

I'd like to hide several caches, each having clues to the next, ultimately ending with an engagement ring and me (cool, huh?!) :laughing: . However, obviously I need these caches to be "private," so no one else searches for them (after all, I can't buy engagement rings for every Geocacher out there!).

Is this a feasible idea?

I appreciate any and all responses, but be forewarned: you'll have to talk to me like I'm someone who knows almost nothing about Geocaching. Of course that's not the case...

Thanks!

- Hopeless Romantic

My wife did something like this, but on a smaller scale, for my birthday.

She hid each of my presents in the yard a different friend's home without my knowledge. When I got home from work, she and the kids handed me a card with the first coordinates and we were off! Each present had a slip of paper with the next coords. It took me just over an hour and my kids and each of our friends had a hoot watching me try and find the "cache" presents.

Good luck!

I did something like this with my wife on our wedding anniversary about three years ago. What I did was find a cache in the local area and printed the cache page to a acrobat pdf file. I then used Acrobat to edit the text description, coords, and hint. I even typed the hint in ROT13 encryption. I then used Photoshop to clean up things like maps.

(I suppose you could do the same thing by just printscreen the cache page window to a graphic file on disk, then use your favorite graphic package, like Photoshop, to modify it)

I then printed out the mock up of the cache page. Brought it to her as a cache that we should go find. She grabbed her GPSr and began to enter in the coordinates. We made it to the cache location and she decoded the hint and turned to me with a smile. After the find, she opened the ammo box to release her gift. It was awesome and very private.

good luck :)

It does work -- it has in the past for several cachers that spring immediately to mind -- but there's no way to do it with "private caches", because such things don't exist. At least, they're not allowed to be listed. You can always hide them yourself, give her the coords, and then submit them for publishing after she's through. If you want the least risk, keep the ring in your pocket and just put a note in the final stage with the big question printed on it in a curly romantic font. Good luck!

Private caches are just that. Give her the info you want to and take it from there. No problems with the GC.com listing as they wouldn't be listed there before she finds them, if ever. If you decide to list them on this site after she finds them I would think that would be a great way to share your joy and happiness with the caching community.

Here is another one from a couple of local cachers that recently got married-

Will You Marry Me

There are a lot of others and even some unique ideas about the wedding plans.

The owner of the world's oldest unfound cache hid a cache that celebrated the wedding itself in a unique way.

So go for it and many congratulations from this part of the world, it is a great idea.

It does commit you to being a long-term geocacher though. :)