Oregon vs PN-40

The Yinnies

...hit me up with a e mail and get me into the beta testing.

Thanks for the interest Fun for the family, we're moving quickly with our beta testing and hope to have something out to the public very soon. Unfortunately, we've recruited all the beta testers that we can keep up with right now. If you are interested in being added to our list of potential testers for the next product test cycle please check out the link here:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=801

I'd still encourage you to try out the PN-40, you can familiarize yourself with the device and check out the DeLorme forum to learn more about the basic functionality... we'll have the geocaching firmware update out soon and you'll be able to update to take advantage of the new functionality.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

I've had a PN-40 for a short period of time and I'm still getting to know the unit. I also have a 60CSx.

The PN-40 in an absolute bargain when compared to the Colorado or Oregon 400T. I had to pay big bucks for additional map software for my 60CSx and it's rather clunky. The PN-40 comes with topo maps for every state on the unit and the computer via Topo. The $30 annual Map Library subscription is awesome. They do need to improve the download process but Delorme has shown themselves to be very responsive to user feedback so I have high hopes it'll be addressed. Otherwise, Topo is pretty easy to use and very powerful.

I'm waiting for the Geocaching update before I decide for sure on the PN-40. As for everything else, it's great. The maps and imagery are amazing and very useful in the field. Topo maps tend to be sparse but when you can just look at a satellite photo of the area it gives you a huge amount of situational awareness. I wish the PN-40 had the 3D digital elevation data like the Colorado/Oregon units. The Delorme topo maps contain this information (and Topo uses it) so one can always hope.

One other thing... my first PN-40 had an issue and died on me. Delorme got me a new one the next day. Try getting that sort of service with Garmin.

Hiking, on par with each other as guidance tools, but the Delorme beats the poop outta the Oregon for available maps and imagery.

Depends where you live. The lack of Canadian map data makes the DeLorme unit a non-starter for us Canadians.

GeoBC

Edited by geobc

Can the PN-40 be used on a Mac? Amazon lists the platform as Windows only. I heard GSAK in this thread, is that necessary? (I know that GSAK won't work on a Mac). I have an Oregon 400t that I absolutely love, but the satellite imagery part intrigues me...

Check this:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=16498&start=0

And you might search there for RRLover psots, I think that he uses a Mac.

Norm?

Can the PN-40 be used on a Mac? Amazon lists the platform as Windows only. I heard GSAK in this thread, is that necessary? (I know that GSAK won't work on a Mac). I have an Oregon 400t that I absolutely love, but the satellite imagery part intrigues me...

Check this:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=16498&start=0

And you might search there for RRLover psots, I think that he uses a Mac.

Norm?

Thanks for the info! Do you know if they plan on making them Mac compatible right out of the box in the future? I'd rather not buy Parallels & a copy of Windows right now.

I have a Mac, I have a PN-40 SE, they will work together.

DeLorme supplies three DVDs of precut maps w/the device in addition to Topo USA 7.

One can connect the device to Mac, and see the device as an external HD.

Depending on settings in device it'll show as the SDHC card or the internal(EM) memory.

The (blue) DVDs are categorized as West, Central, & East.

Opening these DVDs in 'Finder' (similar to Windows Explorer) there'll be a bunch of Windows

files and a folder labeled "Maps".

Open the maps folder and two files will be found for each section that your state is broken into.

My state is broken into thirds, so six files, both the ".ybr" & the ".pn0" files need to be dragged

into a folder called "maps" either on device, or SDHC card(a card reader can be used and is a

quicker transfer). If the card hasn't been inserted into the device the maps folder won't be

present, you can create it in the 'Finder'. Card reader should be USB 2, and HC compatible.

I drug a box around the files I needed, and checked that they were size compatible w/my internal

memory by doing a "get info", then just "drag 'n' dropped" 'em on the folder in "EM"(or SDHC),

voilá, maps on board.

Currently, to access (via computer) the portion of memory where waypoints, tracks, & routes

are worked w/ one needs to have access to Windows, it would seem the most bulletproof

and problem free method using the Mac foundation is Bootcamp, connectivity seems the main

issues using emulation, USB implementation somewhere in the chain gives some users fits,

others none, seems arbitrary at best right now, I know of a couple w/ no isssues, wish I was

so lucky. I've accomplished more via Mac than I care to share. DeLorme has an initiative to

become as cross platform as possible, and are working VERY HARD at it, I've seen great progress.

Using "end-run" tactics (to get around USB issues), I learned how, and loaded 400 geocaches in

under 25 minutes.

25 min. seems long, but that was figuring out how to generate a pq., request it, recieve it,

move it between platforms via a card (or common drop folder), follow embra's excellent tutorial

(I'd never done any of this before), and shoot 'em to the device.

I'm a happy camper.

My daughter received one (PN-40) for Christmas (thanks dad).

She only had "field use" experience w/my XL, nothing on the care & feeding end of things.

She brought it over, and I observed, non-interference policy in effect.

Un-coached, using Mac only she was ready to rock in ≥ 40 min., from open box, to open front door.

So, when she tires of hand entry of loc.s she'll be back over to visit. Basically she and SO are "big

into" bobtail Bronco-ing (another Serious Tool), maybe geocaching will strike their fancy, they are

interested.

Norm

Previous edits for spelling and punct.

this is to add :

The upcoming 'Cache Register', & 'Send to Device' button for Groundspeak are intended

to be crossplatform, very good news, that.

Some time soon I'll add the "Team" to my sig. ;^)

Too busy playin' right now!

Edited by RRLover

I recently got a 400T, and am very happy with it. However, I am also very impressed with the mapping capabilities of the PN-40. It would surely be a nice unit to have along, just with those satellite photos. I have wireless internet on my laptop which I use often to access Google Earth while on the road, but I can't take it with me on longer ventures from the Jeep.

That said, I have never had a lot of problem GETTING to the cache site...the thing that I have said MANY times is that I wished I had more cache information, and the Oregon delivers just that. It is always fun to be able to see the area I am in, but to me, it's much more important to know if the last few people to hunt for the cache were successful, and to have access to any notes or hints they might have posted in their log.

That said...I will have to check out the PN-40 and see if I might not want to add that to my arsenal. Could be fun. What I really hope will happen is that Delorme will give Garmin enough of a run for its money with this delightful functionality that Garmin will integrate that kind of flexibility in its own units.

Ain't capitalism great?

Edited by bunkerdave

I've had a PN-40 for a short period of time and I'm still getting to know the unit. I also have a 60CSx.

The PN-40 in an absolute bargain when compared to the Colorado or Oregon 400T. I had to pay big bucks for additional map software for my 60CSx and it's rather clunky. The PN-40 comes with topo maps for every state on the unit and the computer via Topo. The $30 annual Map Library subscription is awesome. They do need to improve the download process but Delorme has shown themselves to be very responsive to user feedback so I have high hopes it'll be addressed. Otherwise, Topo is pretty easy to use and very powerful.

I'm waiting for the Geocaching update before I decide for sure on the PN-40. As for everything else, it's great. The maps and imagery are amazing and very useful in the field. Topo maps tend to be sparse but when you can just look at a satellite photo of the area it gives you a huge amount of situational awareness. I wish the PN-40 had the 3D digital elevation data like the Colorado/Oregon units. The Delorme topo maps contain this information (and Topo uses it) so one can always hope.

One other thing... my first PN-40 had an issue and died on me. Delorme got me a new one the next day. Try getting that sort of service with Garmin.

I currently own the PN-40 and have had it for weeks now and I love it. I guess I should since I sell them.

I was considering getting the 400T but decided to get this one instead because of the dual processor and the anticipation of the caching features to come.

Once you do decide to get the PN-40 give me a ring and I will make you a deal!

I just need it put in plain english. I am OK on the computer and like the Garmin units so for but want to buy a new one. Is the PN-40 very hard to use? I will be using it mainly for hiking and caching, maybe a little outo routing.

Thanks

I have an Oregon 300 with a multitude of map data on an SD card.

Hiking - Terrain shading (on the Garmin) is nice for hiking, gives you a feel for the landscape in a way flat aerial imagery can not. Plus it's easier than pie to edit and add your very own overlay maps of trails to put in your unit. Freely available, up-to-date topo and trail mapsets adds to the completeness for this task.

Autorouting - Garmin with City Nav is the cat's meow when it comes to autorouting. That plus you have the advantage of a 3D street view, not found on a PN-40

Caching - Aerial imagery is the bee's knee's for this. You can see tree's, buildings, rocks, and other such hiding places right on your GPS. Not only does it give you a great reference for finding, but also for hiding.

Comes down to tradeoff's/interface/functionality and things like battery life, bonus features, intuitiveness. They both are just about as accurate as both have the same chipset.

Edited by yogazoo