Google Earth 5 and Geocaching KML - Problems?

Torgut

I just installed the latest version of GE, and I'm experiencing some troubles with the GeocachingNetworkKML.kml file. Is it only me? The boxes opening after a click in a cache some times are blank, and the caches icons randomly change to the default GE icon, a yellow pin. When that happens the whole thing goes crazy.

The ge .kml file is worthless anyway, since the coords are off.

I always just load PQs directly into GE, after running them through GoogleEarthTweaker.

Dear Benh57,

Talking about "worthless" I would easier associate it with your post. What is "worthless" to some is valuable to others. Excuse me if I use that feature so often. In a daily basis, for a quick overlook of an area where I vaguely may go. To decide between a dozen of spots for a Saturday hunt. Do you run a dozen PQ's in 30 seconds? Whatever.... I started this topic looking for a solution to the problem I just explained. Don't see anyone contributing for the topic so far.

Have to agree with Torgut.

I also use the GeocachingNetworkKML.kml to have a quick look at a region i "might" cache in. Running a PQ, just to notice "ahh, welll I' wont get there" is a waste of ressource and time.

I also experience the same problem like mentioned above. All Cache Icons are yellow pins at first and when I hover over the pin the change to the correct Geocach icon and back when the mouse leaves the icon.

I think I remember that there was a similar problem many month ago, and that GE eventually updated the kml file. I hope the wil do this again, soon.

Edited by Astartus

I don't see these as problems unique to the most recent version of Google Earth. I was having them two versions ago. Icons changing to yellow pins, icons not zooming with the map, etc.

Interesting, because it's the first time I experienced such problem. Did you manage to fix that?

I don't see these as problems unique to the most recent version of Google Earth. I was having them two versions ago. Icons changing to yellow pins, icons not zooming with the map, etc.

Interesting, because it's the first time I experienced such problem. Did you manage to fix that?

It's intermittent and exacerbated by me being on dial-up (yes, we live in a cave). Actually I just quit using GE for caches because, well there just wasn't a value add, if you know what I mean.

Hi all,

I have a related problem. I have just updated to GE 5 and now when I try to get geocaches the program sits for about a minute and then the caches come up, but at the same time a box pops up telling me that GE has experienced a problem and has to close. When I try to get rid of the box, GE closes.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? and, if so, can it be fixed. I did the obvious and reinstalled the program from Groundspeak without fixing the problem. I have put a similar question on Google Earth's forum and got a suggestion and directions to go back to the previous edition of Google Earth, but this would mean uninstalling edition 5 and I fear I will loose all my place marks, which I am reluctant to do.

Cheers,

Dan

I fear I will loose all my place marks, which I am reluctant to do.

You just have to save them as a Google Earth file and you will always keep them in a safe manner. Of course I could reverse and return to previous version but thing is that bookmark manager is much friendly now, and that was probably my main claim... to have a better bookmark manager.

Google Earth 5 and Groundspeak's network KML are indeed not playing nice at this time. Some analysis has been done, but the punchline for now is that 4.3 is probably the place to remain for now if this site's network KML is critical for you.

It's not yet clear if the fix will come from Groundspeak or Google.

I also love this tool for surfing around to see good areas for caching. Awesome for pre-trip planning.

I've never used it before but it sounds like it would be great for picking areas to cache. Does it "stream" caches to Google Earth as you move around to different areas?

Skipper that's correct. However I'm still experiencing the reported issue. I wonder Cricket got rid of it.

I also love this tool for surfing around to see good areas for caching. Awesome for pre-trip planning.

I've never used it before but it sounds like it would be great for picking areas to cache. Does it "stream" caches to Google Earth as you move around to different areas?

Skipper that's correct. However I'm still experiencing the reported issue. I wonder Cricket got rid of it.

Google Earth 5 and Groundspeak's network KML are indeed not playing nice at this time. Some analysis has been done, but the punchline for now is that 4.3 is probably the place to remain for now if this site's network KML is critical for you.

It's not yet clear if the fix will come from Groundspeak or Google.

I would like to add that a similar GE file used and developed previously by my national community website work's perfectly well with the new version of GE. I guess this says a lot regarding who has to correct what.

I hope Groundspeak will take this seriously - which apparently it's not happening so far - as Pocket Queries and THIS feature are the only things keeping me as a paying member. If I see no value for my money and especially no care and respect for a CUSTOMER needs, I will drop my subscription. I know this is regularly said by unhappy members, but beeing true is just one more case, I couldn't avoid it.

I hope Groundspeak will take this seriously - which apparently it's not happening so far - as Pocket Queries and THIS feature are the only things keeping me as a paying member. If I see no value for my money and especially no care and respect for a CUSTOMER needs, I will drop my subscription. I know this is regularly said by unhappy members, but beeing true is just one more case, I couldn't avoid it.

I'm not sure what else we could do to make you feel as though we are taking this seriously, apart from my earlier post mentioning we would look into it. We release bug fixes on a schedule here; something which any web team does if they are concerned about stability. Our next planned release is March 10th. I won't guarantee it is fixed at that time but I just wanted to illustrate that we have a schedule and need to stick to it.

If at all possible we'll work it into the release. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

If I recall right, Google Earth 5 is still only a beta which means there will most likely be changes to the program before it's full release. If it is something that Groundspeak needs to spend a lot of time on to make work than I would rather them do it once it's a full release in case things change and they have to start over again to make it work with the full release.

To both of the two last posts: I recognize that generically you are both right. I was a bit upset to learn that a Google Earth file prepared by people who just did it for the fun is working, while a professional one is still partially inoperative.

And that file helps A LOT and it's important... so as an addicted Geocacher I'm geting nervous :-)

Only one note: beta evaluation may be veeeeery long in Google Earth, so in the specific case, I guess it worths the effort.

Thanks both of you.

To both of the two last posts: I recognize that generically you are both right. I was a bit upset to learn that a Google Earth file prepared by people who just did it for the fun is working, while a professional one is still partially inoperative.

To be fair, that's comparing apples to oranges as they don't have to worry about the infrastructure, stability, etc. that OpinioNate mentioned above.

This happens everytime that Google updates GE and Groundspeak always fixes it:

- When GE is stable and locked down and isn't constantly changing

- They can fit it into the release schedule

A lot of people use this and they realize that. It WILL be fixed, just maybe not on your time table.

I'm sure you can make due until it's up and running again. Don't let one little thing stop you from going out and caching.

G'day All

I think I have a temporary solution to the problem of the Yellow Pins instead of the Geocaching symbols. I have found that by making the "Geocaching Network KML" folder non-expanding it will show the correct symbols. :)

Right click the folder and select properties. In the properties box, untick - "Allow this folder to expand".

I hope this works for everone.

Cheers