BONES

FamilyGold

GC1M6AV "the leaky sprinkler"

February 4 by FamilyGold (63 found)

Our 63rd FIND!!! r

My First 1/2 FTF!!!

Wow! What a caching day.

So here I am again on the net trying to find a job. When I get this message a new cache 1 mile from my home. Yes this has to be it, middle of the afternoon, everybody's working, I have to be able to snag my First FTF. So off I go, Heading to a cool little park I know well. Jump out of the car and see nobody. Yes I'm first Here. Find the first coordinates, then the second, now I'm off to the woods for my first FTF. Jump into the woods where the cache its to be found. What no cache here? Using just the iPhone to cache, it doesn't have the best GPS so I expand my search area. Hmmmm let me see, the note said on a path, so I start looking closer to the path. Still no cache and then WHAT'S THIS! Well its BONES! Now I'm no MD but I can tell back bones, ribs and what look to be leg bones. No this can't be what I'm thinking. I'm also no great hunter but they must be from an animal. But then again they are about the size of a person. I just can't take that chance. So I called Rockledge P. D. The two officers that came out agreed they definitely looked like they could be human. Now in come another 10 officers and supervisors. Now I have to try to explain to them what I'm doing in the woods. I explain Geocaching to them, some still didn't get it. But the bones had been there long enough they figured I didn't do it. Well after about 2 hours a gentleman comes up, Doctor or Hunter I don't know. He explained that human vertebrate don't have the extra small bones coming from the sides so they were of some kind of animal. What a relief. Now can I get back to my FTF? Buy this time my boys are home from school. Nobody has been around. I can get them to help me look. I can get them and be back real quick before anybody else could finish the hunt. So off I go and back in a flash with the boys. Now all 3 of us are looking I'm telling them to stay on the trail but we can’t find it. Then we hear a voice. Ho No muggles have found us! But it turned out to be even worse! It was a robbiedobbie! Any way we let him catch up to where we were in the cache and agreed to share the FTF. Robbie puts the final coords in his GPS and boom he's off and sees it within a minute. Exactly where we had been looking. Well in this case more experienced eyes prevailed. At least I got half a FTF.

Well I'm still getting closer. Yesterday 2 second to finds. Today 1/2 a FTF. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Hopefully a job but if not maybe a FTF.

Congrats to Tony's Girl on a well placed, truly fun cache! I can't wait till your next! I'll be the lone FTF on that I'm sure!

GEOvloger Facebook

@GEOvloger

GEOvloger tumbler

LOL, that sounds like a crazy day. What would you have done if they were real human bones? I recently had a run-in with bones myself but i was supposed to. It was part of the cache container. The outer part of the container was made of what was likely cow vertebra. I was a bit surprised at first but then i remembered that the name of the cache was "My achin back" so it all came full circle.

You can see my adventure of finding the mentioned cache above by watch the below video and visit the link to see more GEOvloger videos.

GEOvloger - YouTube Channel - subscribe for content updates!

I would have definitely snagged the FTF before getting the cops involved.

I mean even if it IS human remains, even another hour isn't going to make a lot of difference in this case... :o

Agree. I had a similar experience while finishing up the field work on a map some time ago. The print deadline was rushing up on me so I kept working and reported it when I finished. After being there for a few months a couple more hours wasn't going to make a difference.

It sounds like the police in your area don't know any more about bones than those in mine.

I got to the access road to an area I had placed a cache to check my coordinates before submitting the cache for publication to find 2 sheriff cars with engines running and lights flashing. No one was around but a guy came out of the woods a few minutes after I got there. I finally got him to tell me someone had found some bones the night before close to where I had placed my cache. Eventually two deputies came out and I explained where I wanted to go. Their description of the bone's location indicated that was where I was headed and they weren't sure how to get back there so I had to show them the way. At their "crime scene" there was a pile of vertebra and ribs. While bagging the evidence they uncovered the jaw bone of what was obviously a deer. Crime solved... The kicker of the story is that the person who found the bones in the first place was a biology teacher from NYC who probably had a skeleton hanging in the corner of his room.