Lady Cachers? How many are out there? Is this a guy centric hobby?

MoussiferRex

Just wondering how many femmes there are out there in the cache-verse. Also, do you think there is equality out there in terms of the the number of male and female cachers? We have a discussion among my friends that seems to be leaning toward it being a techno-geek activity and therefore leans toward being a "guy thing". I'm a techno-geek gal and am not too sure if that is true...but it may be, looking at the number of women on my floor where I work.

What do you all think?

I'm a female and I do this... and the only other person that I know that does this hobby is also a woman. I consider myself a dork with computers but I'm just a teacher. My friend isn't as tech-savy (she says) but her career has to do with parks and maps and such.

However, everyone that I've encountered (via e-mail) about this hobby has been a man.

We take our kids out - 3 of them - and they're all boys so we're adding to the male population of cachers....

I'm a woman, and my mom was the one who got me into caching. She and I would be all gung-ho about dashing of on FTF quests, while my dad and my brother had to be coaxed along. But I think our family is a bit of a statistical anomaly. Women cachers are definitely way outnumbered, but not amazingly rare. I'd guess maybe 1/4 -1/3 of all active cachers are women? It varies by location, too - I knew plenty of female cachers back in the states, but see far fewer here in Japan.

Edited by Happy Bubbles

In my area we have a pretty even mix. There may be more guys, but we have a large number of females caching in this area. Several of the new cachers are women, so our ranks are growing. This is NOT a hobby just for guys!!!!!

It's not even close to an even mix here, but we do have quite a lot of women in the AGA. A lot of married women who cache with or without their husbands, a number of widows, a lesser number of divorcees and a few college-age single women.

We're a very social group, with lots of events, and many of us prefer to cache in groups or at least with a friend or two, and I think that makes it more comfortable for women.

Since we started the AGA in '03 I have heard no complaints of women being 'hit on' by the male cachers, although some relationships and at least one marriage have come from our caching together.

We did have a caching woman with a non-caching husband and a caching husband with a non-caching wife who each dumped their non-caching partner and got married, but both couples were headed for divorce anyway and could just as well have met at the grocery store as at a caching event, so blame that one on Eros, not geocaching!

I think more married women with non-caching (or busy) husbands would cache if they knew someone they felt safe going with.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I can't speak for other parts of the country, but around here it doesn't seem to be a gender specific hobby.

If you go to events, there seems to be an even number of male, and female cachers. When I have met other cachers while on the hunt, seems to be as many of one gender as another.

Some of the most prolific finders and hiders in this area are women.

I am the mom in our family "team", and I am the one who is a cache - addict! My husband like geocaching but he's not obsessive like me, and our 6 yrd old son love the teasures he finds in the hunt.

At all of the events that we've attended, it has been a good 50/50 mix of the genders (even with the kids in attendance). The first 4 geocachers that we have meet have been women.

Woman here...I'm a new so I have only met one other cacher: he just found the cache and noticed me with my GPS. Sometimes I drag my BF along to cache, but that is when we are out on hikes. Which makes me wonder: this isn't just a techno-geek sport, right? I mean, I'm handy around a lot of electronics, but I'm also a hiker (and while I'm labeling, also a fisherman). So there is the techno-geek side of caching, dominated by men I guess, and the hiking crowd which might be more evenly distributed. Unless we expand that to outdoorsman (hunter/fisher/hiker/backpacker/camper) and we once again skew it towards men. (:D I'm not sure where I'm headed with this. Did I mention I have a bad head cold? That's enough thinking for me.)

Just wondering how many femmes there are out there in the cache-verse. Also, do you think there is equality out there in terms of the the number of male and female cachers? We have a discussion among my friends that seems to be leaning toward it being a techno-geek activity and therefore leans toward being a "guy thing". I'm a techno-geek gal and am not too sure if that is true...but it may be, looking at the number of women on my floor where I work.

What do you all think?

Nope, not a guy thing, I see lots of female cachers at group meetings all the time.

I'm not male and I'm definitely not a techno-geek. I can barely input coords into my GPSr. I am, however, an avid outdoor person.

I've been hunting and fishing since before I started school and have always prefered the outside of a house to the inside. I am the only cacher in my house, but it's okay. Hubby will occasionally drive me to a cache, but he would be perfectly content to ignore every piece of Tupperware hidden in the world.

I can't say if the ratio around here is even or not. I've never met another cacher in the field and the other 4 I know personally are 2 of each.

I'm a girl! And a little on the girly side... I hate spiders and bugs, i'm afraid of snakes... but what can I say- I'm hooked! I LOVE caching. I am willing to put all that aside and head into the woods (carefully now , since I walked into that bananna spider web once!! ICK!) I am also a bit of a geek... (well, I'd be more of a geek if money were not and object. )

I only know one other geocacher and she's a girl too....

I cache with my hubby... he enjoys it but isn't obsessed like me!

I'm the cacher in our family. I introduced my dad to it, and go with him sometimes. My husband isn't really a cacher, but will come with me on the hike if it's in an area I'm not comfortable going to by myself. He doesn't mind it, it's just not something he'd do himself. We're both geeks though!

I also plan to use caching as an activity for my daughter and I when she's old enough. I think it's a great way to get people and families outside.

I'm a girl. I cache with my boyfriend, I do less finding on days when he's busy b/c I like to take the opportunity to place some :laughing:

Going to events, it seems about even to me. But then again, I'm an engineer, I'm not used to seeing too many girls and I don't usually notice. It's usually somebody else who will point out when I'm the only female in a packed brewery (another hobby of mine)

I'd say it's about a 70/30 guy to gal ratio - at least from what I've observed in my area and in the forums.

I think that seems about right in my area or perhaps slightly more women. When I first started caching, my mother and I were practically the only women caching in our area. That changed rather quickly though. I know a decent number of single women who cache as well. So it isn't just wives of cachers.

Just wondering how many femmes there are out there in the cache-verse.

There's absolutely no way to know that. Even if this website wanted to know and was willing to scrape the site for it - just no way...

Also, do you think there is equality out there in terms of the the number of male and female cachers?

No, there are somewhat more men than women. It does seem to vary regionally - at least based on the responses here, and what I've seen in my modest travels since I started caching. Local to me (central Florida) I'd say there is very nearly a 50/50 gender split. Lots of caching couples. Some married people of both genders whose spouses don't cache.

We have a discussion among my friends that seems to be leaning toward it being a techno-geek activity and therefore leans toward being a "guy thing".

I don't think geocaching is particularly "techno-geeky" now. Perhaps in 2001 or 2002 when gps ownership was comparatively rare - but then it was more a "serious-outdoor-adventurer" thing then a geek thing (maybe a bit of both).

2009 and many many people are familiar with gps, and certainly most folks know how to use the internet. I see a lot of folks starting in caching with car navigation gps units (briansnat is endlessly explaining the upgrade options for those folks in the Getting Started forum).

I'm a solo female cacher unless you count my dog (who's also a chica). Yeah, I'm going throw a shot in the dark that I think most are men.... as with most outdoor pursuits. But the number of ladies getting out there, whether it is hiking, backpacking, climbing, geocaching, etc. is on the increase.

I got into it as a way to make my solo hikes more interesting. I hike 3 to 4 days a week and you can only do the same trails about 50 times before they seem dull. It's not everyday you can hike the Grand Canyon or Mt. Washington. So geocaching was a way to take the same tired old trails and add something new. It also helps me find undiscovered stomping grounds. I enjoy and am comfortable being in the woods by myself, an inspector by trade, and love puzzles so I can't believe I didn't get into this sooner. It should be added that I'm also a tech dork. What I'm reading is that the ladies are doing this fit into one of the above criteria... avid hiker, puzzle lover, tech nerd or some combination of all of the above. I'll go out on a whim to say we're not ladies too concerned about our manicures. :D

I'll go out on a whim to say we're not ladies too concerned about our manicures. ;)

Manicure? What manicure?? :)

my brother, got me (a guy), our father, and one of my male friends hooked....our hobby seems to just irritate the womenfolk in our lives

"Looks like the boys are up to that geo-money thing again."

:D

B) Woman here........though still a tomboy. I'm very athletic, play lots of sports; but I'm the only one of my friends who is a cacher. Though I suspect a couple of other woman in my search and rescue group. Don't think I'm a geek, but love technology. Also hate it and have to get to the backcountry several times a year backpacking.

Single Female here..... While still very new to the caching world I would have to say that I think it is a realatively even mix in our area. Just went to an event in our area where there was a very even mix of males and females. While I tend to be a very outdoorsy type and have done most of my hobbies by myself, other than my four legges kids, as I am extremely independant I have found that in our area this is truely a family hobby. I do not feel this is a "guy" thing however it may have started that way. I will say that the guys and gals I have recently met have all been more than willing to assist and teach this newcomer. I feel that the folks in my area NE Calif. have welcomed me and will welcome all newcomers with open arms. B)

I'm certainly not that worried about my manicure. I generally get tired of my fingernails and cut them off. I'm one of those strange girly/tomboy hybrid women. One moment all feminine and frilly, the next rolling in a mud puddle with my dog.

It does seem that there are a lot of femmes out there caching, judging from the response, and that's a happy thing to hear. I've been to events in my area as well and it seemed to be more or less a 70 - 30 split, men to women with most women being part of a caching couple. It also makes me wonder if some ladies are uncomfortable scrounging around by themselves, especially in the more isolated areas. I've never had issues with doing so, but some of my friends have looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned doing winter beach combing on the more isolated stretches.

Another female here. Hubby doesn't see the point of caching, and rarely goes with me. Yes, I do feel nervous sometimes to be isolated areas alone. I'm new to the sport and don't know any other cachers in the area yet, so the only alternative is to not go at all. I've even thought of getting a concealed weapons permit. Is that being paranoid?

No, there are somewhat more men than women. It does seem to vary regionally - at least based on the responses here, and what I've seen in my modest travels since I started caching. Local to me (central Florida) I'd say there is very nearly a 50/50 gender split. Lots of caching couples. Some married people of both genders whose spouses don't cache.

What's up with the ladies? I agree with IK, it's probably quite regional, and for no apparent reason. There are boatloads of female cachers in my area. It might even approach 50% of the big names of the most active cachers. I can't speak for the masses of casual cachers though. But in general I do think it's a more guy centric hobby that is likely to attract more men than women.

Our whole Team (Me, my kid, and my dog) are female. We were introduced to the sport by a girlfriend. I went to an event that was pretty evenly split gender-wise, so in my experience it is not just a techno-geek sport.

Besides, we found some of my favorite caches by kayak, and that's not really a geek activity. Or do techno-geeks dominate in urban caching? We cache out in the countryside.

I cache and I am also a woman. My husband caches but not as much as I do. IT and the Outdoors are still male dominated but time is closing that gap. Right now I think the biggest gap is in the perception of what's a "guy" and "girl" thing. When people assume an unknown cacher is a guy or assume the owner of the cache is male... I think the gap created in the perception is greater than the actual gap.

But I am grateful that there are no pink GPS receivers (yet). I'm going to cry the day somebody decides to grab the "female consumer demographic" by marketing pink GPSrs and cutesy charms and bling for them. *bleh*

I cache and I am also a woman. My husband caches but not as much as I do. IT and the Outdoors are still male dominated but time is closing that gap. Right now I think the biggest gap is in the perception of what's a "guy" and "girl" thing. When people assume an unknown cacher is a guy or assume the owner of the cache is male... I think the gap created in the perception is greater than the actual gap.

But I am grateful that there are no pink GPS receivers (yet). I'm going to cry the day somebody decides to grab the "female consumer demographic" by marketing pink GPSrs and cutesy charms and bling for them. *bleh*

You sayin' you got a problem with my GPS bling? I'll have you know that Hello! Kitty can be VERY rugged.