Ranking in this here club

KingBishop3

I figure folks are ranked here by number of finds. At 42 finds, what is my status, and what are the rankings?

Who ever is having fun wins!

Most of us only look at the number of finds as a general indicator of involvement in the game (how much free time do you have on your hands?). Others are driven by the numbers, but because there are no "checks and balances" in place to keep someone from "arm chair caching", you need to be careful about how serious to take that game. Play your own game and have fun! It is all about what you make it. :laughing:

You'll get mixed answers about how people rank other geocachers. Many will tell you its not just about the numbers. Many look at the quality of the caches that people hide and not so much at how many caches somebody has found. After finding over 10k caches myself, you get a sense of the quality of the cache you are looking for by who placed the cache. Some people just throw 35mm caches out the window (Ventura Kids :laughing: ) and others spend lots of time and money on a cache container. I'm getting a little off topic there, but you get the idea.

If you want to know more about geocachers that rank themselves by number of finds, check out this site:

http://www.cacherstats.com/index.html

The geocacher with the most finds is Team Alamo with (as of today) 31,500+ finds. There are also almost 50 geocachers in the world with more then 10,000+ finds. There are also several geocachers with over 1000 hides.

You'll get mixed answers about how people rank other geocachers. Many will tell you its not just about the numbers. Many look at the quality of the caches that people hide and not so much at how many caches somebody has found. After finding over 10k caches myself, you get a sense of the quality of the cache you are looking for by who placed the cache. Some people just throw 35mm caches out the window (Ventura Kids :laughing: ) and others spend lots of time and money on a cache container. I'm getting a little off topic there, but you get the idea.

If you want to know more about geocachers that rank themselves by number of finds, check out this site:

http://www.cacherstats.com/index.html

The geocacher with the most finds is Team Alamo with (as of today) 31,500+ finds. There are also almost 50 geocachers in the world with more then 10,000+ finds. There are also several geocachers with over 1000 hides.

The site mentioned has nothing to do with how cachers rank themselves by number of finds. It is simply a compilation of the number of finds cachers have. :blink:

Just work on having fun as you continue in the game. In my opinion that is really all that matters. You can have fun finding caches and you can have fun hiding caches. You can even have fun hunting caches and not finding them. You can attend events. You can participate in these forums. Some of us even think that is fun. :D

Some cachers pay lots of attention to find counts, others pay no attention to them, and lots of cachers claim to pay no attention to them. Same goes for the number of hides and for the time you have been in the game.

Have fun, meet other cachers, play the game.

I figure folks are ranked here by number of finds. At 42 finds, what is my status, and what are the rankings?

The only ranking here is how much fun you are having. If your fun comes from accumulating numbers, that's great. If your fun comes from the places you've discovered, getting outdoors and overcoming challenges, that's great too.

I've been caching for nearly 8 years and I have "only" 700 something finds. I've had a blast with most of them. There are however people who will knock off 700 finds in two months.

The only mistake you can make is thinking that reaching a certain number of finds will accord you some sort of status. It doesn't.

So if you are happy finding 50 caches a year, then great. If finding 50 caches in a day makes you happy, go for it.

It took me a full year to find my first 42.

I thought that was doing pretty good back then.

These days it takes me (on average) about 2 or 3 months to get to 42.

Some cacher came through this area last weekend and got 89 in a day.

I personally know 2 cachers that have found over 240 in 24 hours.

I once spent 9 hours driving, hiking, slogging through mud, hiking around a wash, over a burn area, started snowing on the way back to the Jeep - then driving home. Never saw another soul on the trail. All for just 1 cache. A six inch long tube tucked under a tree in a canyon. I still call that my best day ever for caching.

It took me a full year to find my first 42.

I thought that was doing pretty good back then.

These days it takes me (on average) about 2 or 3 months to get to 42.

Some cacher came through this area last weekend and got 89 in a day.

I personally know 2 cachers that have found over 240 in 24 hours.

I once spent 9 hours driving, hiking, slogging through mud, hiking around a wash, over a burn area, started snowing on the way back to the Jeep - then driving home. Never saw another soul on the trail. All for just 1 cache. A six inch long tube tucked under a tree in a canyon. I still call that my best day ever for caching.

Thanks to all who answered my question. Your reply nails the head on the hit.

And reminds me of "Second star to the right, and straight on till morning"

We're 770 in the 'official' New York standings but #1 in the eyes of our 9 and 10 year old kids.

With only 2 finds under my belt (today!) I'm the #1 geocacher in my home and in my boyfriend's eyes. :laughing:

You are also the premier geocacher in the world who uses the name "jynclr".

And not only in the minority of female cachers, but one with some kind of Huffman looking encrypted tattoo.

:laughing: Currently, I'm No 1!!! yes, it's true :laughing:

I have a newly published cache out, waiting for FTF - ah the happy anticipation

And there are TWO, count 'em TWO new big multicaches out near me, ready and waiting for me to go get 'em.

One is a rarity, two in the same week - both by hiders whose caches I always enjoy? dang, life is good.....