Request: "Special Tools Required"-attribute

jesperqvist

I think the 5* is only used for special transportation "tools" on a regular basis.

I think the OP is asking for advance warning when the cache is up a tree, or a magnet that is 20' up a lamp post requiring some sort of hook or pole?

Or you need water to float the cache out of a pipe that may have some strategically drilled holes in it.

Part of me agrees with him, most of me knows that the owners of these caches will never give the 'surprise' away by using that attribute, nor will they mention it in the text. It's a good thing that the big box retailers have fairly liberal return policies. :laughing:

I, too, think he's referring to TOTTs, not rappelling equipment. Things like tweezers for those dang nanos, pocket pick-up tools with magnets or claws on the end. I also carry a trekking pole and one of those "reacher-grabber" claws. Most cachers I know carry these things on a routine basis. And many owners will note the requirement (but not say exactly what kind of TOTT).

Now, ladders and such are outside the norm, I'd say. I may have to start carrying 16-foot extension ladders for some around here!

I doubt that a unique icon for such will get much use. Most of the attributes aren't used properly anyway. And they aren't included in any GPX file exported by the site (not yet anyway).

Edited by Cache O'Plenty
Most cachers I know carry these things on a routine basis. And many owners will note the requirement (but not say exactly what kind of TOTT).

This is kind of what I was getting at. You should be carrying several expected tools all the time. Things like a magnet on a stick, a magnet on a string, tweezers, pliers, pocket knife, multi-tool, mirror, digital camera (for "looking" inside areas you can't get your head), long poles, duct tape. Check out one of the frequent "What are you carrying in your bag?" threads for more ideas.

It's a good thing that the big box retailers have fairly liberal return policies. :laughing:

Very nice! Another "tool" to add to my toolbag :D

I wasnt thinking about any specifik tools, but merely more choices to choose from, since I dont think the ones that we have now covers the need.

And I do think people will give away the type of tool needed. I dont think the fun lies in making people come to see what kind of tool is needed and then having to come back later bringing the tool.

I think the fun in that kind of caches lies in giving people the good experience of not just finding ordinary plastic containers in the forest.

For starters, we could have an icon saying that special tool is needed.

I also need a nightcache attrib, which is not in my term the same as flashlight required