Google Earth 5.0 KML not working

2Dee2Dee

I searched the forum for others with same problem. Todays GE 5.0 upgrade from 4.3 no longer displays the Geocaching KML cache icons. The KML icon when refreshed does it's little loading dance and seems to be happy. I tried the tips recommended by previous posts.

Everything worked just fine in GE 4.3. Upgraded to GE 5.0, no caches, reloaded my Geocaching KML, no caches, tried the properties tip, no caches, rebooted, rechecked, tried all property changes and no caches showing.

Anybody have any other ideas why an upgrade to GE 5.0 isn't showing the Geocaching KML results?

Thanks, Dennis

I tried 5.0 and didn't like it so I've reverted back to 4.3.

Here's why - when I loaded the .gpx file to see where they were all located, only one showed up. Reason: Ver 5.0 has a timeline built in (top left corner of the screen - roll over it with your mouse). GE takes any file with dates in it and loads them to the timeline. In the .gpx case, it was using the "Date Placed" field. By default, the two timespan markers are together, usually keyed on just one date. So, only one icon showed because, usually, only one cache is placed per day (roughly). If you drag the timeline markers, you might see icons pop up here, there, wherever, in the order in which they were placed. You can play with the markers to expand the timeline to the full span of the database. I found that a real pain. And, I couldn't find a way to turn off the timeline (like you can in 4.3).

That's what happened here so I'm back to 4.3. Anyone else with that scenario?

I tried 5.0 and didn't like it so I've reverted back to 4.3.

Here's why - when I loaded the .gpx file to see where they were all located, only one showed up. Reason: Ver 5.0 has a timeline built in (top left corner of the screen - roll over it with your mouse). GE takes any file with dates in it and loads them to the timeline. In the .gpx case, it was using the "Date Placed" field. By default, the two timespan markers are together, usually keyed on just one date. So, only one icon showed because, usually, only one cache is placed per day (roughly). If you drag the timeline markers, you might see icons pop up here, there, wherever, in the order in which they were placed. You can play with the markers to expand the timeline to the full span of the database. I found that a real pain. And, I couldn't find a way to turn off the timeline (like you can in 4.3).

That's what happened here so I'm back to 4.3. Anyone else with that scenario?

Thanks, but I don't see a "timeline" with a mouse over unless you mean the "Histoical Imagery"

Uncheck VIEW/HISTORICAL IMAGERY to remove??

I'm using 4.3 and I can't make it display the caches today or yesterday. Don't know how to fix it and don't know who to contact to help.

fishguy2019

It is possible that the Geocaching KML server is having a problem and if so it will probably be resolved sometime on Monday. Someone said that they saw a thread in another post to this effect.

Wecache

Just suddenly started working for me after almost 2 days of not working. Anyone else?

YAHOO :blink: Yes...I'm using GE 5 Beta and it is working...not only working, but I'm showing the actual geocache icons, not just yellow pins! HUGE thanks to whoever fixed that "bug".

Bill

I'm seeing the right icons now with the new KML I just downloaded today, and the pushpins with the old one. It was down for a short while after it started working today, but it's back again. Obviously it's been being worked on, hopefully it works for everyone soon.