Take a Kid Geocaching Multi-event and geocoin

DresselDragons

Two years ago, we co-hosted a Take a Kid Geocaching (TAKG) event. We had a lot of fun with the kids and thought that it would be great if we could get other folks to host TAKG events elsewhere too. We will be hosting another TAKG event on Sunday, June 14, and invite geocachers everywhere to host a similar event on the same day. Our children hold the key to the future of geocaching…so, we’d like to see TAKG events held everywhere!

At GCF 2008, the GCF committee organized a Take a Kid Geocaching geocoin design cointest. Kids attending the event were given a blank coin template, and asked to draw what they would want to see on a geocoin, based on the theme “Take a Kid Geocaching”. The drawings were grouped into 2 age categories (0-7 years old, and 8-15 years old), and then evaluated by a very prestigious group of judges at the event (thanks AtlantaGal, Prntr1, Moustik, Dheninger and MustangJoni). The winning designs, by spyrothedragon (8-15 years old) and LittleLizard (0-7 years old), are currently being transformed by Oakcoins into the official, trackable event coin for the TAKG multi-events. Jamie of MadHattersNeverland did an excellent job of keeping true to the kids' original drawings…artwork is below.

Spyrothedragon's design - coin front

front3.png

LittleLizard's design - coin back

back2.png

Here are the specifics about the coin:

Size: 1.5 inch diameter

Trackable

Finish: TBD

Cost: The coins will be sold by Oakcoins for $7.97 on their site (event organizers can contact Pghlooking…Pghlooking@aol.com for special reduced pricing for orders of 10 or more)

If you are interested in joining us by hosting your own TAKG event, or have any questions, please contact either TMOCM or me thru our GC profiles or post here.

Edited by DresselDragons

I really like the geocoin. I will probably get one for each of my kids, so they can release them or do what they want. I don't think that there are any TAKG events in our area, but it sounds like a really good thing. My two older kids love geocaching, so I hope that it will be something that they do when they get families of their own.

I have just been given the opportunity to start classes for kids.

Mine will be included.

I have 700+ acres and a sponsor/promoter and owner of the land.

He has given me the task of setting up a course and some classes from now on or as long as I can handle it.

I will have to get on the ball and try to get something going this year but it may be later on in the year.

I have my hands full trying to get a MEGA Event going by July.

I have already mapped out almost the entire area and look forward to hopefully joining in.

I will stay tuned.

The coins went up for presale on the Geoswag site today...a little less expensive than we originally thought...$7.48 :rolleyes:. Although it was our hope to get folks to host their own TAKG events, no other events have been published yet. Although there is still plenty of time to host an event to coincide with ours on June 14, we opted to make the coin more generic and only included the event year on it. Therefore, the coins can be used for any kid-friendly event held at any time during this year.

Geocoin presale

Hello Everyone,

Please excuse the post here about a mission:

River Cacher, made a good point that;

This would be a good post for cachers to bring up at the Take a Kid Geocaching worldwide event on 6-14-09

That will give the kids two weeks to get signed up.

Glad to see this thread moving.

Please keep us posted on the amount of kids signed up.

MISSION JOIN THE JUNIOR CACHERS AGENCY, A MISSION that is just for the KID CACHERS

Please check it out i am starting to get some great e-mails signing up.

Fredhead :unsure:

Ours in The Netherlands will be held at the 14 of June too :)(GC1R2DF) - Not published yet, but in review very soon...

Very busy at the moment, making new caches and organising all this in such a sort notice, but very nice indeed to do so !

With my almost four year old daughter we have a lot of fun allready.

Greetz from IkbenMamma (meaning : I am a Mum :anibad: )!!!

And ofcourse a lot of fun on your TAKG event !!!

What a nice coin, good size and heavy. I just purchased 2 of these. One to keep and the other to start its journey on June 14th with a goal to travel to kid friendly caches so kids can move it along. Hopefully, there will be a TAKG event we can attend here in Maine. Since we started geocaching with our own kid (geodaughter) for the first time in 2009, this geocoin has a special meaning to us. Those two kids who won the coin design should be proud.

I'm a Gr. 4 teacher, who has been given a small budget to buy some gps. I'll be setting up some caches near our school, as we have a Nature Park as part of school property. Is the TAKG likely to be an annual event, as I'll try to organize something for next year.

I'm a Gr. 4 teacher, who has been given a small budget to buy some gps. I'll be setting up some caches near our school, as we have a Nature Park as part of school property. Is the TAKG likely to be an annual event, as I'll try to organize something for next year.

We hope to continue it as an annual event (at least locally)...and would love to see more folks join in on the fun (with TAKG events held elsewhere too). Also, just because our TAKG event is over does not mean that you have to wait until next year to host one. Some folks opted to host TAKG events later in the summer.