Garmin Oregon 400t battery life

I used the Oregon 400t for the first time on a 13 miles walk yesterday, for about 6 hours up into the hills near my home. It worked really well. I planned out my route and marked way points on the PC and then downloaded them to the 400t first. So each time I got the way point, it beeped, then gave me the distance and est time to the next one.

The only real down side is the battery life. I had it with battery save mode enabled, so the LCD screen turned off after 30 seconds, along with the backlight. I had WAAS and the compass enabled. It gave me the low battery warning after about 6 hours. I had Energiser 2100mA 1.5 batteries.

Is this normal?

I'm thinking about returning this device if the battery life is this bad, maybe get a 60CSx or PN-40.

Also, how do I stop accidentally creating way points when scrolling around the map?

Edited by jinj

http://www.gpsfix.net/battery-life-compari...egon-and-60csx/

You should be getting 10-12 hours with normal use (compass disabled, backlight on) if you use 2700mAh NiMH batteries and get a decent charger.

Couple things:

- new NiMH batteries required a few cycles to burn in

- a good charger (Maha/LaCrosse) makes a big difference in charge and battery life

- good 2700mAh batteries like PowerEx actually provide close to 2700mAh, a lot of other batteries do not

- make sure you battery type setting is correct on the Oregon (NiMH)

- turn off the compass

- make sure you have updated firmware, I'd recommend 2.85 to start.

You shouldn't be creating waypoints scrolling around the screen, you might be dropping the red pin, but that is just a reference, no waypoint is actually created. Is that what you are seeing?

I have a 400t

when I used alkalines, I agree, they sucked em up like my son with a blueberry slurpee. But once I bought Energizer niMH rechargables from Sams Club...They last much, much longer. Change the settign on the 400t to NiMH, though. Really...a huge difference.

http://www.gpsfix.net/battery-life-compari...egon-and-60csx/

You should be getting 10-12 hours with normal use (compass disabled, backlight on) if you use 2700mAh NiMH batteries and get a decent charger.

Couple things:

- new NiMH batteries required a few cycles to burn in

- a good charger (Maha/LaCrosse) makes a big difference in charge and battery life

- good 2700mAh batteries like PowerEx actually provide close to 2700mAh, a lot of other batteries do not

- make sure you battery type setting is correct on the Oregon (NiMH)

- turn off the compass

- make sure you have updated firmware, I'd recommend 2.85 to start.

You shouldn't be creating waypoints scrolling around the screen, you might be dropping the red pin, but that is just a reference, no waypoint is actually created. Is that what you are seeing?

Yep, tapping was creating the red pin, sorry, I thought was the creation of a waypoint.

The 2100 mAh batteries I used were a few years old, used them a little.

I picked up some Energizer 2450 mAh tonight from Walmart, best they had. I shall get the higher amp/hour ones online. Accupower has 2900 mAh ones one, wonder what they're like, its a shame we can't use the CR-V3 lithium batteries.

I know its best to charge them over a longer period of time instead of in a fast charger.

I have the correct MiMH setting on the 400t, with the latest beta firmware.

I like using the compass when using the 2d or 3d map, really helps when looking around from up in the hills. But I shall try seeing what the savings would be with it off.

With the Energizer 2450 mAh NMiH batteries, with the compass on, battery save mode, and sitting at my desk nothing, it reached 14 hour 10 minutes.

So if when using it, it lasts 8 hours in a day of use, it'll be ok.

I just picked up some Lenmar 2500 mAh batteries from Buy.com - $38.00 for a 20 pack / free shipping.

I've used their 2100 mAh equivalent in a digital camera for a few years. I'm testing them now after their first charge so I'll try to report back.

However my experience so far is consistent with what others have posted. 8 - 12 hours is typical for a properly charged set of NiMH batteries in the 2500 mAh range, even with backlight in operation. I've been using some Duracell 2450 mAh batteries over the past week and they have been doing OK.

I have noted that there seems to be significant drain (NiMH or Alkaline) when the unit is off so topping off a fresh set before you leave on a hike is a good idea.

I just purchased DURACELL rechargeable 2650mAh and I have left the unit on now for 21.5 hours (still have 2 battery lines left). Now I have played with the unit for about 3 hours and have been playing with it on and off on top of that. some times with backlight on high and sometimes low and I also have battery saver on. It was also left on all night. Hope this helps..............