ebay pirate selling stolen cache loot

Don't pay the ransom, it will just encourage him to continue. Get his address. I'm sure someone has a couple of friends with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.

I and a Pshelto bought the tags today at 12:30 central time. I hope to have them in my hands in a few days. When and if they arrive we will log them and contact their owners.

:):D:unsure:

Edited by HOLLOWLOG

Yeah Hollowlog and I worked in a little anti-piracy negotiations and came up with the win. I look forward to seeing which bugs were jacked and if people don't want them...well we might just make the whole loot into a TB.

I agree that supporting the pirates was not the greatest idea, but he just wanted these things gone and if paying a disgruntled muggle will help him to not hate us so much, then so be it.

So did you have to send in your money by dropping it with a parachute?

Hope everything goes well.

Carrier pigeon.

No air drops or pigeons. We had to place small unmarked bills into a gym bag. Then from the payphone we had to drive to an over pass and toss it over.

:)

Edited by HOLLOWLOG

So did you have to send in your money by dropping it with a parachute?

Hope everything goes well.

Carrier pigeon.

No air drops or pigeons. We had to place small unmarked bills into a gym bag. Then from the payphone we had to drive to an over pass and toss it over.

:)

Should have asked here first. Lamp skirts would have worked just fine.

Seriously, thanks for doing that. In this case, I'm not concerned about "paying ransom". I'm actually guessing that he finally understood that he was wrong, at least in part. Doesn't sound like he's going to become the serial muggler that some here seem to thinks.

Now that I had a chance to read the whole thread instead of just page 1, lol, I wanted to state my opinion of this.

It's sad to hear about people putting up TB's for "ransom", but it's also good to see others buy those same TB to get them back into circulation.

However, by doing that, you may have inspired others to muggle caches and sell TB's like that. We have to be careful and not go too far about that, meaning, you should not have to pay for a TB that is not yours.

TB's get taken and muggled all the time. This situation is no different except that they were being put up on EBAY, which happens all the time too.

Just my opinion.

Edited by todd300

However, by doing that, you may have inspired others to muggle caches and sell TB's like that. We have to be careful and not go too far about that, meaning, you should not have to pay for a TB that is not yours.

Just my opinion.

I don't think we are going to see a big travel bug bubble in the market any time soon because of this. The P/E ratio is pretty small.

Happy to see that we bought the bugs. I was following the thread and had planned on bidding until the auction was pulled. Post the links when you get the bugs so we can all take a look.

The bugs are safe got them on july 1 2009. it looks like they were taken from more than one cache. My friend and I will have more info soon as we look up and contact the owners.

We did indeed get them back yesterday. There was quite a variety and it appears they came from three caches: Howard Barton's Travel Bug Resort, The Springs Travel Bug Motel, Bridge to Nowhere, and maybe one other. A majority are from Howard Barton's Travel Bug Resort. Hollowlog and I are puzzled as to why these came from multiple caches (all around Orlando).

We are going to spend the next couple of weeks trying to contact the owners; I believe we have close to 20 trackables here: 1 coin, 1 slug and the rest are dogtags (including some copies). We were able to recover one item that was attached to the dogtogs, but the rest are without companions.

It appears that whomever took these really laid into some of them; multiple tags have been bent pretty roughly.

We looked at them for the first time last night (I waited to open the package until hollowlog showed up). There are trackables from Australia, many from the UK, Germany and all over the US.

We will keep you updated on the status. If you think one of yours might have been ganked, shoot me a message and I will check. We've been pretty busy but we plan on contacting owners in the next couple of days/weeks.

I am so friggin mad right now, I could spit! I am the owner of the Howard Barton Travel Bug Resort that was muggled. The cache is not on private property, nor are any homeowners anywhere around! The cache was placed in a stand of trees, in an area that has been cleared for two blocks in each direction for new retention ponds that are going to be put in. The TB cache was a large plastic Coffee can, that was camouflaged to blend into its surroundings. The other two bugs purchased in this auction were in another TB resort that had been muggled so often he archived it when I put our TB resort out.

This guy is nothing but a thief and a liar, and if he didn't steal the bugs, he is selling stolen property! I want someone to tell me where this seller lives, I can figure out the rest from there.

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you so much for rescuing the tags!! It may be "junk" to this [person], but to the TB owners, its important!

[Edited by moderator for potty language.]

Edited by Keystone
This guy is nothing but a thief and a liar, and if he didn't steal the bugs, he is selling stolen property! I want someone to tell me where this seller lives, I can figure out the rest from there.

Seriously???

In the grand scheme of things, I think some missing bugs is waaaaay less important to the owners than you staying out of jail for doing something you might regret later.

120+ hides and you are going to let this bother you this much?

I've hidden 3, (yes 6 years, and only 3 hides) all three WAY off the beaten path, one was stolen, and one was vandalized by kids. so 2/3 of my caches have been messed with. There was no way these could have been found easily without knowledge of this site or Geocaching. I took care of the situation and moved on.

I understand that this guy's taunting etc has everyone in a "mood" but it's life... Some people are nice, and some aren't.

If I didn't know about Geocaching, and I found a box of stuff in the woods and took it, am I a thief? I understand we are under the assumption that he knows about the game, but it IS stuff left out in public... If a gardener/hunter/hiker who had no knowledge of the game found a box of stuff in the bushes, and took it, is he/she a thief? I don't want to hear the analogy's about stuff in your front yard being "in the public" etc, that's just foolish...

Yes, it sucks, yes, he doesn't seem nice, but is he a thief? He took something he found "in a stand of trees" and sold it. I've found all kinds of things while out and about, and taken them, and kept them. I could have easily sold these items. Does knowledge of "the game" make him a thief, or is it just because he seems like an unsavory character?

I'm seriously not trying to piss people off, all of this just seems a little extreme...

Also, nice work getting the stuff back in a legal way, and returning the items. There's a place upstairs for some of you.

Seriously???

In the grand scheme of things, I think some missing bugs is waaaaay less important to the owners than you staying out of jail for doing something you might regret later.

120+ hides and you are going to let this bother you this much?

I've hidden 3, (yes 6 years, and only 3 hides) all three WAY off the beaten path, one was stolen, and one was vandalized by kids. so 2/3 of my caches have been messed with. There was no way these could have been found easily without knowledge of this site or Geocaching. I took care of the situation and moved on.

I understand that this guy's taunting etc has everyone in a "mood" but it's life... Some people are nice, and some aren't.

If I didn't know about Geocaching, and I found a box of stuff in the woods and took it, am I a thief? I understand we are under the assumption that he knows about the game, but it IS stuff left out in public... If a gardener/hunter/hiker who had no knowledge of the game found a box of stuff in the bushes, and took it, is he/she a thief? I don't want to hear the analogy's about stuff in your front yard being "in the public" etc, that's just foolish...

Yes, it sucks, yes, he doesn't seem nice, but is he a thief? He took something he found "in a stand of trees" and sold it. I've found all kinds of things while out and about, and taken them, and kept them. I could have easily sold these items. Does knowledge of "the game" make him a thief, or is it just because he seems like an unsavory character?

I'm seriously not trying to piss people off, all of this just seems a little extreme...

Also, nice work getting the stuff back in a legal way, and returning the items. There's a place upstairs for some of you.

I don't have a dog in your current fight but I have to ask if you read the entire thread? The person who was trying to sell the bugs lied about where they came from and, further, only backed down when people threatened to report him to Ebay for selling stolen material.

Yes, I've read the entire thread, more than once, I also stated that I wasn't trying to anger anyone, so I'm not here to "fight" It's just that people get so heated over things they should just move on from. The Life's to Short deal comes into play here...

Yes he lied, yes he's this and that, but are we really at the point where a witch hunt to find out where he lives is the answer?

I want someone to tell me where this seller lives, I can figure out the rest from there.

No I don't have 5,000 finds, no I haven't hidden 100+ but even I realize that **** happens, and you move on..

people threatened to report him to Ebay for selling stolen material.

Stolen material to some is a box of toys found in the woods to someone else. Yeah him knowing about the game makes it that much more harsh, and mean, but if it was anyone else selling:

1 Box of Toys and Dog Tags Item No. 9287364374

Nobody would be threatening anything.

The fact that he knows, is what's upsetting. I'm sure I'd be upset too, but some things you just have to let go and move on. The more attention you put to something like this, the more trouble you cause over this, you're just increasing the likelihood that you are now a fun target for this type of thing, because it riles you up so much.

Yes, I've read the entire thread, more than once, I also stated that I wasn't trying to anger anyone, so I'm not here to "fight" It's just that people get so heated over things they should just move on from. The Life's to Short deal comes into play here...

Yes he lied, yes he's this and that, but are we really at the point where a witch hunt to find out where he lives is the answer?

I want someone to tell me where this seller lives, I can figure out the rest from there.

No I don't have 5,000 finds, no I haven't hidden 100+ but even I realize that **** happens, and you move on..

people threatened to report him to Ebay for selling stolen material.

Stolen material to some is a box of toys found in the woods to someone else. Yeah him knowing about the game makes it that much more harsh, and mean, but if it was anyone else selling:

1 Box of Toys and Dog Tags Item No. 9287364374

Nobody would be threatening anything.

The fact that he knows, is what's upsetting. I'm sure I'd be upset too, but some things you just have to let go and move on. The more attention you put to something like this, the more trouble you cause over this, you're just increasing the likelihood that you are now a fun target for this type of thing, because it riles you up so much.

The word "fight" was in a terminology widely used. It doesn't mean a literal "fight". Sorry that it was construed that way.

Nobody would argue that the cache thief (whether or not he was acting lawfully) is a scumbag. OK, maybe somebody would argue that he wasn't.

I agree, the fact that he knew he was disrupting the "game" is what is upsetting. His further taunting in his listing didn't help.

I'm just glad that someone rescued these and is putting them back in the game. I hope Karma visits the thief in a manner befitting his actions.

Sorry I mis-interpreted the "fight"

I'm not religious, but I believe in karma, what you do to others affects what happens to you, and I'm sure he'll get his...

I agree that what he did was scummy.... Criminal, I don't believe so, but mean, rude, etc, yes....

It will all be better once the owners are notified, and all bugs are back in circulation.

It would be easy to make a comment like "People disappear every day" or some other 'smart' remark, but I will somewhat refrain. (Oops, too late)

I'm a Christian, and while I technically cannot believe in Karma, God makes it clear that people will get what they deserve. That sounds just like Karma to me.

I'm just sayin'...

I'm a Christian, and while I technically cannot believe in Karma, God makes it clear that people will get what they deserve. That sounds just like Karma to me.

I'm just sayin'...

"Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap" : biblical version of karma

"What goes around, comes around" : country wisdom version of karma

We did indeed get them back yesterday. There was quite a variety and it appears they came from three caches: Howard Barton's Travel Bug Resort, The Springs Travel Bug Motel, Bridge to Nowhere, and maybe one other. A majority are from Howard Barton's Travel Bug Resort. Hollowlog and I are puzzled as to why these came from multiple caches (all around Orlando).

We are going to spend the next couple of weeks trying to contact the owners; I believe we have close to 20 trackables here: 1 coin, 1 slug and the rest are dogtags (including some copies). We were able to recover one item that was attached to the dogtogs, but the rest are without companions.

It appears that whomever took these really laid into some of them; multiple tags have been bent pretty roughly.

We looked at them for the first time last night (I waited to open the package until hollowlog showed up). There are trackables from Australia, many from the UK, Germany and all over the US.

We will keep you updated on the status. If you think one of yours might have been ganked, shoot me a message and I will check. We've been pretty busy but we plan on contacting owners in the next couple of days/weeks.

I put out a Bridge To Nowhere TB Hotel here in Birmingham AL that was taken the same day I put it out. It's been a couple of years ago... I really hope the TBs from the Bridge To Nowhere that you have are the one's that were in mine. Unfortunately I do not now remember which TBs were in it.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
If I didn't know about Geocaching, and I found a box of stuff in the woods and took it, am I a thief?

Yes. If you know that it's not yours don't take it.

If a gardener/hunter/hiker who had no knowledge of the game found a box of stuff in the bushes, and took it, is he/she a thief?

For the gardener no, assuming that he or his management have control over the property. For the hunter or hiker, yes... If you know it's not yours, don't take it!

Yes, it sucks, yes, he doesn't seem nice, but is he a thief? He took something he found "in a stand of trees" and sold it.

Yes, he's a thief. He not only took something that was not his he decided to sell it rather than try to return it to its rightful owner, and he lied about where he found it.

I've found all kinds of things while out and about, and taken them, and kept them. I could have easily sold these items. Does knowledge of "the game" make him a thief, or is it just because he seems like an unsavory character?

Taking something that did not belong to him made him a thief.

Not at all extreme, there is an entire body of law that deals with salvage and recovery of property that essentially boils down to... If it isn't yours don't take it!

Ditto

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Why would you consider him not a thief? You seem to be arguing that the individual involved took what he assumed what abandon property. If this is true, then I would agree that he isn't a thief, at least in the spirit of things. If I'm walking out in the wood and discover a $20 bill in the ground and absolutely NO one around, I'm probably going to pick it up and stick in my pocket. Technically, I've taken someone else's property, but I can safely assume that finding the individual who dropped it to be nearly impossible so even if I wanted to get the money back to the owner, there's really no way to do it.

On the other hand, let's say I'm out in the woods walking and I come across a wallet with a drivers license and various others things, plus a $20 bill. Now its really easy to find the owner. I should make an effort to contact the owner and get his property back to him. But let's say I didn't. Am I a thief? Perhaps not in the letter of the law. I didn't take it from the guy, he dropped it and I happen to find it later. But certainly in the spirit of a thief, I have something that doesn't belong to me. I know who the right full owner is, and it's pretty clear that this wasn't a case of intentionally abandoning property.

One could argue that the first paragraph describes a muggle coming across a geocache in the woods. He doesn't know what it is. Maybe it doesn't have anything in terms of identification on it. Maybe the sheet instead got wet and isn't readable describing geocaching. Maybe he can't read the language of the cache. Who knows? However, that's not what we're talking about here. The 'seller' on ebay knew what geocaching was. He knew that he could contact the owner through geocaching if he so desired. He choose not to. He's the guy who's found a wallet in the woods and kept it instead of trying to contact the owner.

Worse than that though, he's proceeded to sell the wallet on ebay. And he made up a story about how the wallet was left on his (or a friend's) property and repeated attempts where made to have it returned to (removed by) the owner to no avail. This makes him a liar and, if not technically a thief, certainly a thief in spirit.

Now, having said all this, I do agree that physical confrontation with this moron is not a suitable solution.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost,_misla...ndoned_property

This may or may not help clear up some of the legal or not aspects of this.

It was what I found on a quick Google search.

I understand it wasn't lost, misplaced or abandoned. But I think this may still apply.

You are correct. It wasn't lost, misplaced, or abandoned so it is still private property, no different than a bicycle or car parked on public property.

I understand it wasn't lost, misplaced or abandoned. But I think this may still apply.

You are correct. It wasn't lost, misplaced, or abandoned so it is still private property, no different than a bicycle or car parked on public property.

I am not arguing against the point made, but I would like to know if there is any legal precedent concerning geocaches and whether they can be considered legal property of the cache owner, OR, the TB's in a cache having legal ownership by the person who released them. There could be a strong argument that they are abandoned property in a court of law. If precedent has been made, then a criminal case could be made. I am not advocating that the person who did this (criminal to our standards) action be prosecuted by due process, I am merely asking questions raised by the discussion so far. If anyone can cite cases that would support the legal claim of cache/TB ownership, I would love to see them.

I am not arguing against the point made, but I would like to know if there is any legal precedent concerning geocaches and whether they can be considered legal property of the cache owner, OR, the TB's in a cache having legal ownership by the person who released them. There could be a strong argument that they are abandoned property in a court of law. If precedent has been made, then a criminal case could be made. I am not advocating that the person who did this (criminal to our standards) action be prosecuted by due process, I am merely asking questions raised by the discussion so far. If anyone can cite cases that would support the legal claim of cache/TB ownership, I would love to see them.

The claim of legal ownership of a travel bug is easy to establish. You bought it. It's unique based on the number on the travel bug tag, registered with a company as to ownership, and trackable. In essence, it is titled property.

Whether or not you could get any official law enforcement agency to take you serously over the loss of a $5 item, however, is unlikely.

no different than a bicycle or car parked on public property.

People rarely leave a bike or a car parked out in the woods and only visit it every few months to check up on it. :D Although in my travels, I've come across many bicycles, and abandoned (stolen) cars that the owners should have come and checked up on sooner. :D

no different than a bicycle or car parked on public property.

People rarely leave a bike or a car parked out in the woods and only visit it every few months to check up on it. :D Although in my travels, I've come across many bicycles, and abandoned (stolen) cars that the owners should have come and checked up on sooner. :D

It's not abandoned property. Groundspeak specifically requires that cache owners be capable of maintaining their caches (and the reviewers will or should not approve, or archive, a cache that is obviously not being maintained or can't be maintained). It doesn't matter that there's an interval of months between the time the owner places it and he/she checks up on it; the owner receives regular reports (in the form of "found it" or "didn't find it" or "needs maintenance" or, perish the thought, "should be archived") as to its status and is (supposedly) on call to go fix it if there's a problem.

If a cache actually is abandoned -- if the CO can't or won't maintain it and there's no one else able or willing to take it over -- Groundspeak will archive it (and if it's still physically there, I would say that it's up for grabs, though I would hope that conscientous area cachers would check it out, remove bugs, etc).

I'm making a huge assumption here, but I would liken this to a local government placing a mile marker by the side of the road or a survey benchmark in a remote location. That marker/benchmark is not abandoned property if the government doesn't regularly check in on it regularly.

While not technically a legal precedent, I did have a related conversation with our State Attorney.

His take: Someone with no knowledge of the game would not be prosecutable for taking a cache.

Someone who had knowledge of the game could be prosecuted.

His legal opinion centered around proving intent to deprive, a key element in Florida's theft statute.

Just cause I like to debate things for fun, let's take a look at this info. Let's start with this line:

The general rule attaching to the three types of property may be summarized as: A finder of property acquires no rights in mislaid property, is entitled to possession of lost property against everyone except the true owner, and is entitled to keep abandoned property. This rule varies by jurisdiction.

Of course we need to keep in mind the second part of that quote. But we have not ability to know what each and every area of the world has in terms of jurisdiction. So, let's assume the general rule above.

Let's tackle the easiest first: Lost property. From Wiki:

Property is generally deemed to have been lost if it is found in a place where the true owner likely did not intend to set it down, and where it is not likely to be found by the true owner.

This fails on both ends of the definition. A geocache is NOT set down in a place where the owner did not intend to set it down. Plus the cache is VERY likely to be "found" by the true owner. No way can it be called lost.

Okay, step two: mislaid property. From wiki:

Property is generally deemed to have been mislaid or misplaced if it is found in a place where the true owner likely did intend to set it, but then simply forgot to pick it up again. For example, a wallet found in a shop lying on a counter near a cash register will likely be deemed misplaced rather than lost.

If you had to classify a geocache as misplaced, lost, or abandoned, this would seem to be the most likely classification. It isn't totally correct in that the owner didn't forget to pick it up, but intended to leave it there. If you do classify it as mislaid, the finder has no rights to it.

And third: Abandoned property. Again from wiki:

Property is generally deemed to have been abandoned if it is found in a place where the true owner likely intended to leave it, but is in such a condition that it is apparent that the true owner has no intention of returning to claim the item.

Now a geocache meets the first part of the definition, but fails on the back end. ...but is in such a condition that it is apparent that the true owner has no intention of returning to claim the item. Geocaches are definitely not (at least originally) left in such a condition that it is apparent that the owner isn't coming back. Some do eventually become abandon, but that isn't the rule and certainly isn't the intend of the owner. I think in a court of law you could easily prove that a cache doesn't fit the definition of abandoned.

Now of course, the bigger point as others have made, is getting law enforcement involved. I can't imagine the police putting too much effort into investigating or prosecuting what amounts to very petty theft.

I am not a big blogger but I just have to say that I know the owner of the Howard Barton Hotel that was muggled. Someone said that they have 120+ hides and should just move on...life is too short...That to me is such a silly statement. War1man & MiMi are dedicated geocachers and take pride in their hides. They have never and will never abandon any of their hides. And for that cache to be muggled was a very personal thing. It wasn't just a plastic container or an ammo can with a log and swag in it. It held valuable travel bugs and coins. We all know what they cost especially the coins. And I can say that it was NOT on private property and there were no houses around. I also know that War1man was very upset when he wrote that blog and would never do anything to hurt anyone. He takes pride in making sure that both of his travel bug hotels are well maintained and stocked for all to enjoy and trade bugs. Okay i'm done now. Cache you all later and remember CITO :huh:

Okay, sorry I haven't updated. I emailed all the TB owners and most of them have not responded. A few want them back and some want me to just release them. The event is this weekend and after that I will appeal to the owners.

Here is the list of trackables. Sorry it's so crude; I didn't know another way to post which ones without typing everything.

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Adventure Woman TB Dog Tag

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Amy's Whale

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Aruba Bound

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Barbie Goes to London

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Big Silver Limo

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Bingham Where?

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Coming home

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Geocoin Club May 2006 Geocoin

Dropped off 7/27/2009 jawalk07's Vacation Trip

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Piplup

Dropped off 7/27/2009 RTH 4 Sue & Doug

Dropped off 7/27/2009 SCRUFFY

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Terkas Garfield

Dropped off 7/27/2009 The Reel Deal

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Tinkerbelle

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Travel Bug Dog Tag

Dropped off 7/27/2009 U.T.O. (Unidentified Traveling Object)

Dropped off 7/27/2009 Walker TB

Everyone at the event thought they were really cool. I published some of the posts from here and told everyone their story. I made them into a neat little trophy necklace and wore it for a little bit. I even used the travel slug as a piece to hold it together. Anywho, now I am going to release these back into the wild and mail some of them back. df9fe0f2-65ae-4f17-87a2-bd8342fd7602.jpg