Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Pocket Queries not downloading

#1 User is offline   fastrack20 

• Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

I just decided to try out pocket queries and purchase a premium membership. I did this so that I would be able to download pocket queries to my iPod touch using the Geocaching app. I am able to download some of the queries, but not all. For instance I can download one query of 50 caches but not another of 20 or even 10. I keep getting a message (Pocket query download failed. Please try again later.). I have been trying all day and "later" seems to never arrive. Are other people experiencing this as well?

#2 User is offline   Tequila 

• Geocacher

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

It works fine for me.

Make sure you have ran the PQ in the last 7 days. The way the download works is it downloads the data from the PQ that was run in the past. It is not a real time data extraction.

#3 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

View Postfastrack20, on Jul 7 2009, 02:55 PM, said:

I just decided to try out pocket queries and purchase a premium membership. I did this so that I would be able to download pocket queries to my iPod touch using the Geocaching app. I am able to download some of the queries, but not all. For instance I can download one query of 50 caches but not another of 20 or even 10. I keep getting a message (Pocket query download failed. Please try again later.). I have been trying all day and "later" seems to never arrive. Are other people experiencing this as well?

Pocket Queries are stored on the server for 7 days after being generated. If they are older than 7 days, you won't be able to download them. Conversely, if you've created a PQ but haven't run it, you won't be able to download it either.

When did you create/run these pocket queries?

#4 User is offline   fastrack20 

• Premium Member

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:38 AM

Well I have been generating 4 every day to test them and consistently the same ones do not work. Could there possibly be a problem with the file names of the caches that it is trying to save?

All of the queries were run this morning and two of them work, not the ones i need to work tho.

#5 User is offline   JoshLytle 

• Former Lackey
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:22 AM

View Postfastrack20, on Jul 8 2009, 07:38 AM, said:

Well I have been generating 4 every day to test them and consistently the same ones do not work. Could there possibly be a problem with the file names of the caches that it is trying to save?

All of the queries were run this morning and two of them work, not the ones i need to work tho.

Can you private message me about this? Maybe I can help you track down the issue. I'd like to know your username and the name of the pocket query.

#6 User is offline   StephenMWalls 

• Member of the Darkforest Alliance!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:22 AM

View Postfastrack20, on Jul 7 2009, 10:55 AM, said:

Yeah, every time I try to add my finds or any other query the application crashed back onto the home screen.

#7 User is offline   fastrack20 

• Premium Member

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:37 AM

All of a sudden the PQs seem to be working for me. I didn't change a thing. It must be magic.

#8 User is offline   serpico007 

• Geocacher

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

I did the same this morning, signed up for a premium account bought the app for my ipod touch and no pocket queries show up. I want to go out but can't because I'm wasting so much time on this at my desk. Getting a bit annoyed.

I finally got a PQ run successfully off the website this morning, it's sitting in my account but doesn't show up on the ipod touch app. The location address contact suggestion isn't working to find nearby caches also. So I'm stuck here at home and a storm is coming in. So you can feel my frustration. :S

#9 User is offline   serpico007 

• Geocacher

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

The preview worked fine on the site here, but never shows up on the app on my ipod touch.

#10 User is offline   skeezicks 

• Geocacher

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

View Postserpico007, on Jul 12 2009, 10:26 AM, said:

I did the same this morning, signed up for a premium account bought the app for my ipod touch and no pocket queries show up. I want to go out but can't because I'm wasting so much time on this at my desk. Getting a bit annoyed.

I finally got a PQ run successfully off the website this morning, it's sitting in my account but doesn't show up on the ipod touch app. The location address contact suggestion isn't working to find nearby caches also. So I'm stuck here at home and a storm is coming in. So you can feel my frustration. :S

Which geocaching app are you using on your ipod touch.I have all of the caches in my area already on my ipod touch,but was having trouble trying to get just the new ones to come up on my pocket query...I would always get some of the ones I already had as well.I found that if I put the ones that I wanted in my watchlist and then just checked the box to get caches in my watchlist for my pocket query,that it would just pull those that I was trying to get.

#11 User is offline   Allanon 

• Through Knowledge, Power...

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

View Postserpico007, on Jul 12 2009, 03:28 PM, said:

The preview worked fine on the site here, but never shows up on the app on my ipod touch.

I'm going to ask a dumb question, so forgive me.

Using the iTouch, are you connected to a Wi-Fi network and logged into the GC.com website...and have a PQ saved there?

This post has been edited by Allanon: 12 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

#12 User is offline   serpico007 

• Geocacher

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

I did the query on my imac first this morning then logged in with the Geocache app from here. Tells me no queries exist. But going to the website under my account I see it.

#13 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:15 AM

View PostAllanon, on Jul 12 2009, 06:54 PM, said:

View Postserpico007, on Jul 12 2009, 03:28 PM, said:

I'm going to ask a dumb question, so forgive me.

Using the iTouch, are you connected to a Wi-Fi network and logged into the GC.com website...and have a PQ saved there?

Also, have you actually run/generated the PQ? Simply creating it and previewing it will not work because that's not actually "making" the PQ. It just shows you what will be returned when you dorun it.

#14 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

View Postserpico007, on Jul 12 2009, 11:38 PM, said:

I did the query on my imac first this morning then logged in with the Geocache app from here. Tells me no queries exist. But going to the website under my account I see it.

Serpico, see my post above. It sounds like you need to run the PQ at least once. To do that, you pick one of the checkboxes for the day you want it to run. If you want it for today, pick Monday, and it should run/generate in a couple minutes.

Once it's created the PQ, you should see it in your iPhone available for download to your phone.

#15 User is offline   serpico007 

• Geocacher

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

Sorry I don't understand. I got the zipped file emailed to me but of course can't use that on the ipod touch. Perhaps the blackberry could use it with cacheberry or blackstar.

But if the file has been emailed to me, doesn't that mean the query has 'run'? I selected today, Monday, as you suggested and am waiting now to see what happens.

#16 User is offline   Allanon 

• Through Knowledge, Power...

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:45 PM

Yep, that's what "run" means to me.

So, this time after you get the email with the PQ, use the APP and you should be able to download that same one to your Touch (if I understand the process correctly).

#17 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

serpico, it seems like you did everything right and the PQ generated (ran) correctly since it was emailed to you.

In the GC app, go to the main page by tapping the "Search" tab on the main page and then tapping "Pocket Queries" at the bottom. A list should appear showing all the PQs you've generated.

If you've done that and nothing is there, then something is wrong. There would be at least 1 PQ showing since it seems like you did everything right.

#18 User is offline   geodug 

• Geocacher

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

Of course, we are confident that Serpico started his iPod Touch, has WiFi enabled, found a WAP, connected to the Internet, started the Geocaching app and logged into his account on GC.

Or are we?

#19 User is offline   serpico007 

• Geocacher

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

View Postgeodug, on Jul 13 2009, 08:19 PM, said:

Of course, we are confident that Serpico started his iPod Touch, has WiFi enabled, found a WAP, connected to the Internet, started the Geocaching app and logged into his account on GC.

Or are we?

Yes I did all that. :(

The PQ finally showed up. I guess when the site was slow that day for me, it was having errors. Yesterday I downloaded the PQ to the ipod touch and it appears to be working. I guess it was a hiccup with the system when it was crawling on Sunday.

#20 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

Glad you got it working.

#21 User is offline   ggmorton 

• Premium Member

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:01 AM

View Postfastrack20, on Jul 7 2009, 01:55 PM, said:

Sorry to resurrect a sort of old thread, but I am seeing this problem today.

I've never had this problem before. I thought it might be related to the name of the PQ, so I shortened it.
Still a no go. The PQ ran last night, but I always get the error "Pocket query download failed. Please try again later."

Any ideas?

#22 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:10 AM

I read in another thread that you need to make sure the "Include Pocket Query name in download file name" option is NOT checked on the PQ page. It's right above the "Submit information" button.

I think that might fix your problem.

#23 User is offline   ggmorton 

• Premium Member

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:31 AM

View PostSkippermark, on Nov 19 2009, 09:10 AM, said:

I read in another thread that you need to make sure the "Include Pocket Query name in download file name" option is NOT checked on the PQ page. It's right above the "Submit information" button.

Nope, still a no go. It appears to be something in the actual GPX file I believe. There must be an error in one of the caches, that is causing the iPhone app to barf on the download.

I also tried to get around the problem by saving the GPX file off, and uploading it to a saved GPX. and then re-download. It still wont download that way either.

#24 User is offline   ggmorton 

• Premium Member

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:02 AM

View Postggmorton, on Nov 19 2009, 09:31 AM, said:

View PostSkippermark, on Nov 19 2009, 09:10 AM, said:

Nope, still a no go. It appears to be something in the actual GPX file I believe. There must be an error in one of the caches, that is causing the iPhone app to barf on the download.

I also tried to get around the problem by saving the GPX file off, and uploading it to a saved GPX. and then re-download. It still wont download that way either.

Ok, update. I recreated the PQ as a new one, and HAD the file name check box unchecked. It worked this time. I guess it might have worked with the old query, but it would have had to have it regenerated without the extended name. Thanks for the tips!

#25 User is offline   Trope 

• Premium Member

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:02 PM

[/quote]
Ok, update. I recreated the PQ as a new one, and HAD the file name check box unchecked. It worked this time. I guess it might have worked with the old query, but it would have had to have it regenerated without the extended name. Thanks for the tips!
[/quote]

This fix worked for me as well. :signalviolin:

#26 User is offline   DesertKat 

• Premium Member

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Yes. I have had the same problem. I have run the pocket query twice. I see it in my iphone geocaching app, but it keeps saying the download failed. I have had premium membershipf or over a year. I will try unchecking the save file name too.. but you would think that wouldn't affect it.

#27 User is offline   renruts 

• Premium Member

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

I seem to be having issues with queries over 500. I had a few PQs created that were 1000 centered on different National Parks we planned to hit. The Pqs of 1k seemd to download to the point that it extracted and started gathering trackables information then the phone crashed and rebooted.

Today I created one for Rocky Mountain National Park of 500 and thus far it seems to be ok.

Any suggestions as to how to get the PQs of 1k to work minus buying a new device?

#28 User is offline   JoshLytle 

• Former Lackey

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

We're working on the problem. We plan to release a bug fix build within a couple days, and we've made a change that should improve performance on the 3G for 1K PQs....however, we still need to really figure out how to make this whole thing as efficient as possible so you can expect us to continue to improve it over a few releases.

#29 User is offline   ZeLonewolf 

• Rhode Island

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

View PostJoshLytle, on Jul 13 2010, 05:46 PM, said:

[...]however, we still need to really figure out how to make this whole thing as efficient as possible so you can expect us to continue to improve it over a few releases.

What are you hinting at?

#30 User is offline   JoshLytle 

• Former Lackey

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

View PostZeLonewolf, on Jul 14 2010, 01:19 PM, said:

[...]however, we still need to really figure out how to make this whole thing as efficient as possible so you can expect us to continue to improve it over a few releases.

What are you hinting at?

I'm just saying we won't necessarily have every last issue fixed in this next build, but it should be better. We're going to keep our eyes on the Pocket Query feature and improve its performance whenever we can. But in the end downloading and parsing such a large amount of data just takes time.

#31 User is offline   weberslv 

• weberville

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

Ok here is my issue. The querys are showing up, but when I go to download it says it is inactive because it hasn't been generated lately. On the top it states it was just generated today..But the download bar is greyed out? Any ideas??

#32 User is offline   renruts 

• Premium Member

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:17 AM

View PostJoshLytle, on Jul 14 2010, 05:54 PM, said:

What are you hinting at?

I'm just saying we won't necessarily have every last issue fixed in this next build, but it should be better. We're going to keep our eyes on the Pocket Query feature and improve its performance whenever we can. But in the end downloading and parsing such a large amount of data just takes time.

Josh - Greatly appreciate you guys looking in to this and attempting to make it more efficient. Personally for me the time it takes to unzip, parse and download what ever it needs is acceptable for the underlying performance of the hardware and what I am asking it to do. What I find annoying is that the dang thing crashes versus just paging to local storage and and continuing to chug. :)

#33 User is offline   JoshLytle 

• Former Lackey

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

View Postrenruts, on Jul 21 2010, 09:17 AM, said:

View PostJoshLytle, on Jul 14 2010, 05:54 PM, said:

What are you hinting at?

Josh - Greatly appreciate you guys looking in to this and attempting to make it more efficient. Personally for me the time it takes to unzip, parse and download what ever it needs is acceptable for the underlying performance of the hardware and what I am asking it to do. What I find annoying is that the dang thing crashes versus just paging to local storage and and continuing to chug. :laughing:

We're already working on update 4.1 (which will come after 4.0.1 that's waiting approval in the App Store). In this new version we're further improving pocket queries and trying to track down the remaining issues.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked