GPSport 245 for Geocaching

gpsport245.jpg

For those of you who is using a Holux GPSport 245, I obtained an alpha test version that you can upgrade your firmware to allow your device to show standard Geocaching coordinates!

You may edit up to 5 Finder points into 5 geocaches in this version.

***** THIS IS AN ALPHA TEST VERSION, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! ******

:(Get files from here!!:D

New features

1. Finder points increased from 1 to 5

2. Added CO2 reduction / grow tree calculation

3. The analog speed meter can now be switched into large numeric display, speed+lap time, speed+distance, or speed+clock

Bug fixed:

1. Error distance display when Finder distance switching between Metric and Imperial.

2. Altitude is now able to display 5 digits for those who use it at high altitude

3. Totoal Odometer calculation error corrected

***** THIS IS AN ALPHA VERSION, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! ******

First, use ezUpdate to upgrade your firmware to this version.

I tried it few days and didn't find any problem yet! So, I decided to share it with you.

After update successfully, you will see the version number changed into "TEST"

IMG_0339.JPG

Press "Home" to see the wooden board

IMG_0341.JPG

Press "Up/Show" to see the current coordinates & your "Finder" coordinate. In this case all 0

IMG_0342.JPG

Press "Down" to convert between default coordinate & standard geocache coordinates

Format changed from: DDD MM SS.SSS to DDD MM.MMM !!!

IMG_0343.JPG

Press "Enter" to Edit the coordinate into a geocache coordinate

IMG_0344.JPG

Press "Up" to increase "Down" to decrease the numbers

Ok, my upper part is down

IMG_0345.JPG

Change the numbers accordingly, done!

IMG_0347.JPG

From the wooden board, press "Enter" to see a list of Finder point.

Press "Enter" again to see the coordinate

Press "Down" to Edit the name

Let's change the name into the same as the Geocache's name or CODE.

Press "Up" to increase "a-z A-z", "Down" to the other way around

IMG_0348.JPG

From the wooden board, select "Show" you will see your Geocache location

IMG_0349.JPG

:ph34r: Happy Geocaching! :)

Edited by stonez56

I'm interested. Where do I get ezUpdate from? How do I revert to V1.0 should I have problems?

I checked the website and there are 68 owners of GPSport 245.

No body is interested in upgrade their firmware to get more cahches?

Or people are reluctant to install firmware of unclear heritage. If it's alpha and actually did come from Holux, it may be covered by an NDA that's being broken, for example.

I'm surely not the only one that's reluctant to install firmware for a device that comes from a site other than the maker of that device.

I'm interested. Where do I get ezUpdate from? How do I revert to V1.0 should I have problems?

Download ezUpdate from here

Unrar it and use the ezUpdate in the folder.

Remember to upgrade to this alpha version in above link, not the v1.01 comes with this rar file.

If you would like to revert to your original version, just use ezUpdate to select the V1.01 file and update it.

In case, you lost the power during the update and mess-up the firmware.

Just click "Force update" button to re-update the firmware.

It comes with a mechanism to prevent the firmware being damaged!

Hope this helps!!

Let me know if you have other questions. :D

Stonez

Edited by stonez56

For those of you who is using a Holux GPSport 245, I obtained an alpha test version that you can upgrade your firmware to allow your device to show standard Geocaching coordinates!

You may edit up to 5 Finder points into 5 geocaches in this version.

I'm thinking of getting a GPSport 245 for biking/hiking. I like the fact it provides all that information on a screen and also works as a logger to review the rides later and map the pictures.

How do you like is accuracy overall? What about geocaching in particular? Does it guide you to the cache or close to it? Does it lose the signal under trees? Is this Alpha version stable enough to use?

Thank you.

Edited by jcgrv

I'm thinking of getting a GPSport 245 for biking/hiking. I like the fact it provides all that information on a screen and also works as a logger to review the rides later and map the pictures.

How do you like is accuracy overall? What about geocaching in particular? Does it guide you to the cache or close to it? Does it lose the signal under trees? Is this Alpha version stable enough to use?

Thank you.

The signal reception in this little device is great! When I was on trips, I put them in my pocket and it still did very good jobs! The device shows you an arrow to where the cache is. I think it's easy to understand.

This device is designed for outdoor use, running, jogging, and especially biking. The Geocaching function just an extra function to the product.

For the Alpha version, it's very stable and no issues being found yet.

Stonez

Edited by stonez56

Dear All,

As I know, there won't be any new version coming up for release. This alpha version is good to use.

However, you might want to check out Holux's new device GPSport 260. It allows you to store up to 10 points with geocaching cooridation format!

The best part is that it allows you to add these caches directly from the PC.

You should check it out!

stonez56

Thank you.

The signal reception in this little device is great! When I was on trips, I put them in my pocket and it still did very good jobs! The device shows you an arrow to where the cache is. I think it's easy to understand.

This device is designed for outdoor use, running, jogging, and especially biking. The Geocaching function just an extra function to the product.

For the Alpha version, it's very stable and no issues being found yet.

Stonez

Dear All,

As I know, there won't be any new version coming up for release. This alpha version is good to use.

However, you might want to check out Holux's new device GPSport 260. It allows you to store up to 10 points with geocaching cooridation format!

The best part is that it allows you to add these caches directly from the PC.

You should check it out!

stonez56

Edited by stonez56

I have the Holux GPSport 245 and it's a total revelation after caching on smartphones for so long.

BUT I just can't seem to figure out how to change the co-ordinate type from DDD MM SS.SSS to DDD MM.MMM. I've tried the very helpful tutorial at the start of this post but as my device is new I'm already on a newer version of the firmware, and there's no 'down' option when setting co-ordinates.

I have the Holux GPSport 245 and it's a total revelation after caching on smartphones for so long.

BUT I just can't seem to figure out how to change the co-ordinate type from DDD MM SS.SSS to DDD MM.MMM. I've tried the very helpful tutorial at the start of this post but as my device is new I'm already on a newer version of the firmware, and there's no 'down' option when setting co-ordinates.

I also have this, just got one today after being introduced to geocaching through a local activities thing. It is currently running fw 1.05, and I cannot find how to switch the co-ordinates type.It is not mentioned in the manual anywhere, and I thinking that support for this was not fully implemented officially.