Deaf Cachers, how do you sign Geocaching?

Lately my wife and I have been talking about how to sign "Geocaching" when we are talking about a hunt. We've done it two different ways. Either just signing the letters "G-C", or I mimic holding my GPS and sweeping it around, as if looking for the cache. Just wondering what others do.

BTW: Any type of organized deaf Geocaching group out there?

Nighthawk700

We are a husband and wife team, Deafdillos. We often refered to GC as fingerspelling "G" and "C" quickly. It is easy and quick. You need to spell "geocaching" initially then use "GC" in a continuing conversation if other person does not know about GC. Sometimes, we uses a sign like you hold the GPSr while scanning right to left to right in reference to geocaching. The sign for GPSr is just holding the traditional GPSr in stationary postion. It is fairly adopted community wide yet since there are several deaf cachers. At least 10 Deaf cachers in Texas. We are sure that there are more Deaf cachers in USA...even World.... We got a email from Deaf Aussie cacher.

Richard and Natalie

Deafdillos

Texas

Just to mention for if you didn't know, sign languages differ in different countries. Deaf people can be multi lingual, but not always. Holding-the-GPS-while-scanning would transfer place to place because it is visual. Check out regional fingerspelling for different countries, there's a lot of variation. (e.g. we use 2 handed fingerspelling in UK).

Lately my wife and I have been talking about how to sign "Geocaching" when we are talking about a hunt. We've done it two different ways. Either just signing the letters "G-C", or I mimic holding my GPS and sweeping it around, as if looking for the cache. Just wondering what others do.

After reading this I like that L palm over R C method...

I admit that my first thought was... why not use the public Gx graphic (Leatherman?) By that I mean trace the CCW G, come into the center, back out a bit, followed by a quick down/up stroke in the middle. Done in front it works quick... That could easily be for GEOCACHING and use the two hand for cache and searching for as described...

I do little of this myself, but have some... way back... not a user. However the Gx seems like a good way to go, especially internationally. Also public domain graphic representation.

Doug 7rxc just thinkin'

Edited by 7rxc