Lowrance Endura Out&Back

Abqroger

I just got my new GPS unit yesterday, 8-12-09, and am still figuring out to use it. I downloaded a few caches and went looking for them.

I am having a problem, I think, in that the arrow and compass seem to stop moving as I am walking. Sometimes it points in completely the wrong direction, no matter how much I move about.

Does anyone have the Lowrance Endura Out&Back and have a similar problem?

I have one and have noticed the same issue from time to time. My best advice (early on here ) is to let the unit sit in one place and sort of "warm" up for a few minutes before you start moving. Mine seems to behave much better when i do that. However a few random screen freezes of up to 20 seconds still occur. Might check out my other thread over in the unit forums....

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=227830

Feel free to add to it.

Hi & welcome to Geocaching :rolleyes:

Are you familiar with basic GPSr operation, is the Endura the first GPSr you've had or used?

The Out&Back model doesn't have a compass per-se, so the device has no way to know which way "North" is unless you are moving. Once moving the GPS can determine your heading based on satellite triangulation.

Summary: If you're stopped, the compass arrow can't point in any meaningful direction

I am having a problem, I think, in that the arrow and compass seem to stop moving as I am walking. Sometimes it points in completely the wrong direction, no matter how much I move about.

Yes, my Endura Sierra is doing this too. My unit doesn't seem to be frozen (I can change to other pages or menu items) but it seems to enter a state where it does not update my position.

Has anyone purchased any topo mapping from the Lowrance MapSelect site for this unit and if so, what is your opinion? What is the contour interval, etc. ?

I am trying to figure that out too. It looks like they want to charge for an image file that only covers a 3x3 mile area? I'd have to get a lot of them to cover the common places I fish and hike. And I do not know if they would even work with my Endura.

I just got my new GPS unit yesterday, 8-12-09, and am still figuring out to use it. I downloaded a few caches and went looking for them.

Not familiar with this line, but the Endura line really looks good on paper. Suggestion, check your settings to see if you have a battery save mode. If you do and it is turned on, turn it off and see if it behaves differently. Just a thought.

The MapSelect site isn't even updated to work properly with the Endura series yet. Just one of my pet peeves about this unit. The url shortcut is on the device but the page doesn't even exist yet on the webserver.

I don't own an Endura yet but I have visited the MapSelect site URL listed in the manual. I agree, the cost of detailed maps for the unit would add up quite fast if trying to cover large areas. Did you receive a MapSelect code of some sort with your device? Apparently a code is required to complete map purchases.

The MapSelect site isn't even updated to work properly with the Endura series yet. Just one of my pet peeves about this unit. The url shortcut is on the device but the page doesn't even exist yet on the webserver.

I don't own an Endura yet but I have visited the MapSelect site URL listed in the manual. I agree, the cost of detailed maps for the unit would add up quite fast if trying to cover large areas. Did you receive a MapSelect code of some sort with your device? Apparently a code is required to complete map purchases.

I don't see any code but an icon is presented when you plug the Endura into a USB cable. Clicking the icon takes you to the mapselect site but the page you go to does not exist and you get something like 'page not found.'

Correct, when you plug the device into a windows OS PC you'll get an autorun that will take you to the mapselect page to register the device by serial number but it's not available yet. I'm really hoping the soon update the Lowrance site with accessories and a firmware update and the MapSelect site so we can at least get the contour maps that the units were falsely advertised as having.

Yes, my Endura Sierra is doing this too. My unit doesn't seem to be frozen (I can change to other pages or menu items) but it seems to enter a state where it does not update my position.

I am having the same issue with my safari where it seems to enter a state where it does not update my position.

I am having the same issue with my safari where it seems to enter a state where it does not update my position.

Folks, we gotta keep calling Lowrance about these issues. I am going to call tomorrow with some of mine. Just will have to do it when I have time to sit next to a speakerphone so I can wait on hold. While I do that I will also send it in via their website support form. Buit I am going to make sure I talk with someone. They need to be hearing from all of us though or they won't fix it for just one dude....!!!!!!

Folks, we gotta keep calling Lowrance about these issues. I am going to call tomorrow with some of mine. Just will have to do it when I have time to sit next to a speakerphone so I can wait on hold. While I do that I will also send it in via their website support form. Buit I am going to make sure I talk with someone. They need to be hearing from all of us though or they won't fix it for just one dude....!!!!!!

So, is there any way to currently add topo or imagery to the Endura Outback? Or do we just sit back and wait for Lowrance to fix the problem?

I just got my new Out & Back today and I've already got a problem. :huh: I uploaded several .gpx files to the the GPX directory via USB. Disconnected the unit and it spent a few minutes reading them all in. All worked like a charm at that point. Viewed a couple caches, ran though some basic position testing, all was well. I was really happy....

The I tried to delete what I had downloaded so I could download my "real" master GPX file. Now it not only doesn't have the originals, but it won't read in the new one. :blink:

Apperently it converts the XXX.gpx files into a XXX.gpx directory when it reads them in. The directories are now empty and I am unable to delete tehm. Worse yet, my new GPX file doesn't get noticed and any attempt to find geopcaches come back with "none found".

I'm really bummed. :) Thought this would be a great, reasonably robust standalone unit at a decent price that I could carry around in my pack, glove compartment, etc. for impromptu caching. NOw it's bascally a brick as far as caching is concerned (but the GPS function worls like a charm).

Anyone else have similar problems? Any way known to clear the internal memory?

Arrrrghhhhhh!!!!!

I just got my new Out & Back today and I've already got a problem. :) I uploaded several .gpx files to the the GPX directory via USB. Disconnected the unit and it spent a few minutes reading them all in. All worked like a charm at that point. Viewed a couple caches, ran though some basic position testing, all was well. I was really happy....

The I tried to delete what I had downloaded so I could download my "real" master GPX file. Now it not only doesn't have the originals, but it won't read in the new one. :laughing:

Apperently it converts the XXX.gpx files into a XXX.gpx directory when it reads them in. The directories are now empty and I am unable to delete tehm. Worse yet, my new GPX file doesn't get noticed and any attempt to find geopcaches come back with "none found".

I'm really bummed. :) Thought this would be a great, reasonably robust standalone unit at a decent price that I could carry around in my pack, glove compartment, etc. for impromptu caching. NOw it's bascally a brick as far as caching is concerned (but the GPS function worls like a charm).

Arrrrghhhhhh!!!!!

Have you applied the new firmware update? available here: I updated mine a couple days a go and now I can delete the directories and have Canadian roads! on my base map. I also noticed they have released a few topo mapsets on micro SD for all units. and turn by turn road maps for Canada & US but only for Safari and Sierra

Hi I have an Endura Out&Back as well, I had a few questions about it as well. Did your guys' come with the USB to miniUSB cord? Mine did not, and when I tried to hook it up to my computer, nothing popped up and was not shown as a device connected to my computer. It did however switch from battery powered to USB powered. Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know how I can fix it? Do I need a different USB and if so, which one?

Saw this thread and wasn't sure if the group was aware of the recent thread on the Endura 1.2 software update. It is supposed to provide a number of improvements or bug fixes.

Here is the link to the 1.2 thread.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...6&hl=Endura

There is also more information on this at the

Lowrance Endura web page.

I have done the update but haven't had a chance to check it yet outdoors (too darn cold).

I just got my new Out & Back today and I've already got a problem. ;) I uploaded several .gpx files to the the GPX directory via USB. Disconnected the unit and it spent a few minutes reading them all in. All worked like a charm at that point. Viewed a couple caches, ran though some basic position testing, all was well. I was really happy....

The I tried to delete what I had downloaded so I could download my "real" master GPX file. Now it not only doesn't have the originals, but it won't read in the new one. :D

I'm really bummed. ;) Thought this would be a great, reasonably robust standalone unit at a decent price that I could carry around in my pack, glove compartment, etc. for impromptu caching. NOw it's bascally a brick as far as caching is concerned (but the GPS function worls like a charm).

Arrrrghhhhhh!!!!!

If you go ahead and run the 1.1 update available using the following link you will be able to delete your GPX folders. http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Outdoo...OutBack-Update/

After running the 1.1 update which will fix your GPX folder issues and some other map issues, you should then run the newest 1.2 update which will fix other issues. http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Outdoo...ack-Update-1-2/

You should then be satisfied with your new Endura Out & Back device.

Hi I have an Endura Out&Back as well, I had a few questions about it as well. Did your guys' come with the USB to miniUSB cord? Mine did not, and when I tried to hook it up to my computer, nothing popped up and was not shown as a device connected to my computer. It did however switch from battery powered to USB powered. Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know how I can fix it? Do I need a different USB and if so, which one?

When it switched over to USB power were you able to see it using Windows Explorer? When the Endura GPS is connected to your computer it will show up as a Mass Storage Device under My Computer. If you wish to access the internal memory you will need to make sure that you have removed any microSD cards.

I hope this helps!

To the group that was having problems with the MapSelect.com site, you should be able to now access the site with your Endura units.

To answer the questions about the mapping detail available thru MapSelect, you can download true USGS 1:24k quads, as well as aerial imagery and BLM maps. The contour interval will vary depending on the location, in the US, of the USGS quad.

Another option for those of you who want topographic maps for your Out & Backs you can purchase preloaded microSD cards for 7 different regions of the US.

You can use the following link: http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Outdoors/...ck/Accessories/

Have you applied the new firmware update? available here: I updated mine a couple days a go and now I can delete the directories and have Canadian roads! on my base map. I also noticed they have released a few topo mapsets on micro SD for all units. and turn by turn road maps for Canada & US but only for Safari and Sierra

So, when you delete the directories, are the geocaches deleted from the GPS as well?

Edited by 23below

So, when you delete the directories, are the geocaches deleted from the GPS as well?

Yes, when you delete the GPX folder all of the geocaches, waypoints and other information stored in this folder will be deleted. The GPX folder will be created again when the unit is rebooted, but it will be empty.

The Endura line of GPS units will allow you to load upto 4000 geocaches as well as 4000 waypoints.

I also want to clarify that the topo mapsets on micro SD will work on all of the Endura units and that the turn by turn road maps for Canada & US will only work on the Safari and Sierra units.

I hope this helps.

Edited by EnduraExpert

Endura expert I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I haven't found anywhere what the price is to get the routable maps on the Sierra cost. I believe the maps area already on this unit. I haven't purchased the unit yet but am thinking about it.

No problem, the USA & Canada Road Turn by Turn Navigation microSd card is $99.95 and can be used in either the Safari or Sierra. The Sierra will get you a better base map than the Safari, 100 contour intervals.

I hope this helps.

Endura expert I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I haven't found anywhere what the price is to get the routable maps on the Sierra cost. I believe the maps area already on this unit. I haven't purchased the unit yet but am thinking about it.

Here are the best prices I've found for the 1:24K Topo's and their "Turn by Turn" autorouting mapping software on microSD "plug and play" cards:

http://www.cascadegps.com/store/product.ph...t=93&page=1

$69.49 (24k Topo)

http://www.cascadegps.com/store/product.ph...t=93&page=1

$82.23 (AutoRouting)

http://www.thehousewaresstore.com/cw-37558.html

$81.10 (24k Topo)

http://www.thehousewaresstore.com/cw-37559.html

$91.20 (AutoRouting)

http://www.nulime.com/Lowrance-Outdoor-Tur...-Series/p407516

$87.50 (24k Topo)

http://www.nulime.com/Lowrance-Outdoor-US-...-Series/p407515

$88.24 (AutoRouting)

The prices from Lowrance thru their LEI group are $99 regardless of whether you buy Topos or the Turn by Turn microSD's.

Good luck.

N

Edited by Native20559