Groundspeak Forums: Garmin 550 vs DeLorme PN-40 - Groundspeak Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Garmin 550 vs DeLorme PN-40 Can't decide between the two

#1 User is offline   Mike_Hawk 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 19-September 04

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

I have a $500 budget to get a new GPS and I can't decide between the Garmin Oregon 550 and DeLorme PN-40. Paperless geocaching, good electronic 3-axis compass, and great performance/accuracy are my main requirements. Learning curve is no issue. Touch-screen or buttons doesn't matter either. I don't want anything lower than the 550 or PN-40. If there's another model from a different brand, I'll take those into consideration too. I want the best and top-model for geocaching and hiking. I was going to just get the 550 until I came across the PN-40 and now I'm conflicted. The mapping options on the PN-40 are a big draw and the 550 seems like the "latest and greatest."

Can you please steer me in the proper direction? Thank you in advance!

This post has been edited by Mike_Hawk: 14 August 2009 - 10:45 PM


#2 User is offline   Tahoe Skier5000 

  • Super Premium Double Platinum Premier Plus Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 823
  • Joined: 06-July 03

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:21 PM

Both GPSr's are really, really good. The 550 is definitely the 'latest and greatest' as you say. So if you want to have the newest, the 550 would be your best bet.

However, performance and feature wise the PN-40 is solid competition. It can't hold as many geocaches and only carries half of the waypoints that the 550 can, but that really shouldn't be too big of a deal. Also, the 550 has a camera, not sure how important that is to you. I thought it was a little gimmicky at first, but after thinking about it, it does sound pretty handy! It is a 3.2 mpxl cam with 4x digital zoom and geotags your pictures. Could be pretty useful.

Cost wise though, there is no comparison. The PN-40 is far cheaper at less than $300. The 550 is over $480.

If I had to pick one, I would probably go with the PN-40. More bang for your buck right now, atleast until the price on the 550 comes down. Both units are solid though, and if you have the extra money, you might as well go for the 550. Just keep in mind that you won't be able to get any maps with your 550 if you want to stay under your budget of $500. The PN-40 on the other hand comes with the maps, which are street-routeable as well. It is a very good value.

This post has been edited by Tahoe Skier5000: 14 August 2009 - 09:22 PM


#3 User is offline   jotne 

  • Mostly Harmless
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1007
  • Joined: 11-May 03

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:42 PM

Nüvi 550
or
Oregon 550

Please correct heading.
Both have Geochacing mode
http://forums.Ground...howtopic=205575

#4 User is offline   Mike_Hawk 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 19-September 04

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

View Postjotne, on Aug 14 2009, 11:42 PM, said:

Nüvi 550
or
Oregon 550

Please correct heading.
Both have Geochacing mode
http://forums.Ground...howtopic=205575


My fault, I knew something felt wrong with my post. Oregon.

#5 User is offline   Rockin Roddy 

  • Please pay attention out there, LOOK for bikes!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8696
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:30 AM

View PostMike_Hawk, on Aug 14 2009, 10:47 PM, said:

View Postjotne, on Aug 14 2009, 11:42 PM, said:

Nüvi 550
or
Oregon 550

Please correct heading.
Both have Geochacing mode
http://forums.Ground...howtopic=205575


My fault, I knew something felt wrong with my post. Oregon.


I think most of us understood you were looking for a handheld! :laughing:

Haven't seen the 550 and have only a limited experience with the OR line...but LOVE the PN-40! If the camera and extra cache loading ability is the deal-maker, good luck and please report back with your experiences!! Personally, I found my OR 300 to be less than stable (but I suspect something could be wrong with it) while my now brand new PN-40 seems to be working just like my original...haven't had time to test it out fully yet and do plan to test both units togethet today...

#6 User is offline   Mike_Hawk 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 19-September 04

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:57 AM

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 15 2009, 03:30 AM, said:

View PostMike_Hawk, on Aug 14 2009, 10:47 PM, said:

View Postjotne, on Aug 14 2009, 11:42 PM, said:

Nüvi 550
or
Oregon 550

Please correct heading.
Both have Geochacing mode
http://forums.Ground...howtopic=205575


My fault, I knew something felt wrong with my post. Oregon.


I think most of us understood you were looking for a handheld! :laughing:

Haven't seen the 550 and have only a limited experience with the OR line...but LOVE the PN-40! If the camera and extra cache loading ability is the deal-maker, good luck and please report back with your experiences!! Personally, I found my OR 300 to be less than stable (but I suspect something could be wrong with it) while my now brand new PN-40 seems to be working just like my original...haven't had time to test it out fully yet and do plan to test both units togethet today...

I wish I could just get both! I can't decide between the two.

#7 User is offline   NordicMan 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1498
  • Joined: 09-July 07

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:44 AM

You REALLY need to go to a store that has them both and fiddle with them, see which one "feels" better. Hopefully the store would even let you go outside with them so you can see how the screens look to you.

#8 User is offline   Mike_Hawk 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 19-September 04

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:24 AM

View PostNordicMan, on Aug 15 2009, 04:44 AM, said:

You REALLY need to go to a store that has them both and fiddle with them, see which one "feels" better. Hopefully the store would even let you go outside with them so you can see how the screens look to you.

Good idea! Looks like that'll be my plan for today.

I'm currently leaning towards the 550 right now with the hopes of firmware fixes. But I can't get the mapping options of the PN-40 out of my head. The aerials are really tempting because that's how I've been geocaching lately.

My Sidekick LX has Bing (aka Microsoft Live) built-in with nice aerial mapping. It would be my primary GPSr if it wasn't for the fact that it's a major battery hog when the GPS mode is turned on. 1-2hrs tops with full charge. It wouldn't kill just my GPSr, but my phone as well, and that isn't good.

Let's keep the experiences and advice flowing please.

#9 User is offline   Rockin Roddy 

  • Please pay attention out there, LOOK for bikes!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8696
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:44 AM

View PostMike_Hawk, on Aug 15 2009, 06:24 AM, said:

View PostNordicMan, on Aug 15 2009, 04:44 AM, said:

You REALLY need to go to a store that has them both and fiddle with them, see which one "feels" better. Hopefully the store would even let you go outside with them so you can see how the screens look to you.

Good idea! Looks like that'll be my plan for today.

I'm currently leaning towards the 550 right now with the hopes of firmware fixes. But I can't get the mapping options of the PN-40 out of my head. The aerials are really tempting because that's how I've been geocaching lately.

My Sidekick LX has Bing (aka Microsoft Live) built-in with nice aerial mapping. It would be my primary GPSr if it wasn't for the fact that it's a major battery hog when the GPS mode is turned on. 1-2hrs tops with full charge. It wouldn't kill just my GPSr, but my phone as well, and that isn't good.

Let's keep the experiences and advice flowing please.


If screen is a concern, I can say the OR screen isn't so bad it's not usable, but it is harder to see than the PN-40! For me, screen size isn't an issue either, I saw no problem using the PN-40 and little benefit of having the larger screen of the OR 300....YMMV. Touchscreen is a nice feature, but it truly does leave me wanting to clean my OR screen often, those fingerprints do bug me. I don't have a screen protector on the OR though, maybe that'd cut down on fingerprint issues?? Not sure, but seeing how the screen protector on my PN-40 did affect viewing a small amount, I would be leary about using one since it would then likely cut back on viewability of the OR....speculating here.

#10 User is offline   embra 

  • Often wrong, never in doubt
  • Group: +Charter Members
  • Posts: 5213
  • Joined: 07-March 02

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:39 AM

Mike, I don't think DeLorme begrudges you taking it for a trial spin for a couple of weeks. They offer a no-questions-asked 30 day return period. You're only out your time and return shipping costs. There are places like REI and Amazon that are good about accepting returns of either brand if they sell it.

I commiserate with the difficulty of your decision; they both seem to be good devices with strong geocaching support. And it's hard to make an informed decision without the benefit of hands-on experience. My guess is if you go with your gut feeling you'll probably be happy with whatever your choice is, but if you buy from someone with return privileges you will have a safety net in case it doesn't work out satisfactorily. So don't agonize *too* much! :laughing:

This post has been edited by embra: 15 August 2009 - 07:41 AM


#11 User is online   Team CowboyPapa 

  • I'm just here to help.
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1881
  • Joined: 26-February 07

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:28 AM

View PostNordicMan, on Aug 15 2009, 04:44 AM, said:

You REALLY need to go to a store that has them both and fiddle with them, see which one "feels" better. Hopefully the store would even let you go outside with them so you can see how the screens look to you.

I concur with this advice with one exception:
One still cannot see how the PN-40 works with the high resolution color aerial photographic imagery that is available on an all-you-can-download basis for an annual subscription of $30/year.

It is my preferred display for geaocaching, urban or back country.

I'm in Borrego Springs each fall if you want to check mine out. :laughing:

This post has been edited by Team CowboyPapa: 15 August 2009 - 08:30 AM


#12 User is offline   TotemLake 

  • Wherever I go, there I am.
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 9389
  • Joined: 12-April 03

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

View Postjotne, on Aug 14 2009, 11:42 PM, said:

Nüvi 550
or
Oregon 550

Please correct heading.
Both have Geochacing mode
http://forums.Ground...howtopic=205575

Once the topic is entered you're unable to edit it. Only the moderators have that power.

For all the generic topics that do pop up in this forum, this one is better than average. I knew he was looking at the handheld Oregon 550 rather than the Nuvi.

#13 User is offline   Rockin Roddy 

  • Please pay attention out there, LOOK for bikes!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8696
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

Just turned my PN-40 on and am readying to head out the door, it was on for a mere 3-5 minutes TOPS and I have a WAAS lock and +/- 6'! This is while I am still inside sitting here at the desk!!

Still haven't seen a WAAS lock on my OR, I wonder what one even looks like?

#14 User is offline   Tahoe Skier5000 

  • Super Premium Double Platinum Premier Plus Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 823
  • Joined: 06-July 03

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 15 2009, 03:34 PM, said:

Just turned my PN-40 on and am readying to head out the door, it was on for a mere 3-5 minutes TOPS and I have a WAAS lock and +/- 6'! This is while I am still inside sitting here at the desk!!

Still haven't seen a WAAS lock on my OR, I wonder what one even looks like?


So bitter towards the Oregon man... :anicute:

I just went out for a cache about an hour ago... hiked about 3 miles round trip. Worked like a charm. Haven't tried WAAS though. :laughing: What firmware are you running?

#15 User is offline   Rockin Roddy 

  • Please pay attention out there, LOOK for bikes!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8696
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

View PostTahoe Skier5000, on Aug 15 2009, 03:41 PM, said:

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 15 2009, 03:34 PM, said:

Just turned my PN-40 on and am readying to head out the door, it was on for a mere 3-5 minutes TOPS and I have a WAAS lock and +/- 6'! This is while I am still inside sitting here at the desk!!

Still haven't seen a WAAS lock on my OR, I wonder what one even looks like?


So bitter towards the Oregon man... ;)

I just went out for a cache about an hour ago... hiked about 3 miles round trip. Worked like a charm. Haven't tried WAAS though. :anicute: What firmware are you running?


You know what, I give honest feedback on my experiences and you think it's being bitter toward the OR...I find this comical. I can't help that the silly thing isn't doing as it should while my PN-40 is, sorry. If it were the other way around, I would report this (and be the happy owner of the OR...which I'm not and soon won't even be an owner). It's a shame that I have owned the OR for more than a week and not seen WAAS ONCE while I've seen it multiple times on the PN-40 I've owned for a mere two days...and it hasn't even left the house save once on the porch? It's also a shame it (the OR) has led me astray several times, a few of these times being severely off-course...but you think I'm stretching that truth, don't you!

Read my posts and you'd know I am running the latest and "greatest" non-beta. Since the temp has finally started to come down, I will be leaving to test out my two units! Maybe, just maybe, I'll even learn how to turn the OR on?? :P :o :laughing: :cry:

This post has been edited by Rockin Roddy: 15 August 2009 - 03:55 PM


#16 User is offline   Rockin Roddy 

  • Please pay attention out there, LOOK for bikes!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8696
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

I am thoroughly disappointed in my PN-40. While I have just checked and seen I have yet another WAAS lock (sitting on my desk), I am truly displeased that the +/- is 6' when my old PN-40 saw +/- 5' on a regular basis.

There, are you happy I reported a bad experience with my PN-40?? :laughing:

#17 User is offline   Tahoe Skier5000 

  • Super Premium Double Platinum Premier Plus Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 823
  • Joined: 06-July 03

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

Listen, I think the PN-40 is a great GPS, I'm not disagreeing. It is definitely one of my all time favorites. I just don't think the difference between the two (oregon vs PN-40) is as black and white as you think it is.

But that is ok, we all have our own tastes :laughing:

This post has been edited by Tahoe Skier5000: 15 August 2009 - 04:27 PM


#18 User is offline   elrojo14 

  • Cache Master
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 186
  • Joined: 04-August 06

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

How many caches per pocket query for the two models?

I am currently using an eXplorist 500 so I am limited to 200. Going from eXplorist 500 to one of these two models, which one do you think I will like more?

I think I might be leaning Delorme. They gave me a free California Atlas at the 2008 SHOT Show so I think I owe them! I also used Streets and Roads for traveling across the country in 2007 and was pleased.

#19 User is offline   Rockin Roddy 

  • Please pay attention out there, LOOK for bikes!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8696
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

View Postelrojo14, on Aug 17 2009, 09:32 AM, said:

How many caches per pocket query for the two models?

I am currently using an eXplorist 500 so I am limited to 200. Going from eXplorist 500 to one of these two models, which one do you think I will like more?

I think I might be leaning Delorme. They gave me a free California Atlas at the 2008 SHOT Show so I think I owe them! I also used Streets and Roads for traveling across the country in 2007 and was pleased.


Only you can answer that question! I suggest you find a store (REI or Cabela's or such) and check out both models, maybe even buy one and test it (taking it back is an option should it turn out not to be your "fit").

The OR can hold 2000 caches, the DeLormes hold 1000. Now, the big difference is, the OR can hold a TON of waypoints where the DeLorme counts the waypoints against your total...meaning if you load a PQ which also has child waypoints (parking coords and such) these will go against the total number you can load on the DeLorme! Not a problem for me since I only load a PQ of the area I'm going when I need it, but it could be an issue for some!

A PQ holds 500 caches regardless of what unit, so the OR will hold up to 4 PQs while the PN series will hold 2 if no child waypoints are included. I hope I helped with that... :(

#20 User is offline   elrojo14 

  • Cache Master
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 186
  • Joined: 04-August 06

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 17 2009, 10:41 AM, said:

A PQ holds 500 caches regardless of what unit, so the OR will hold up to 4 PQs while the PN series will hold 2 if no child waypoints are included. I hope I helped with that... :(

Wow, that is kind of disappointing. My eXplorists have nearly all of my 200 cache PQs in them and it is nice to be able to switch back and forth if I need to. However I usually update them and only use them when I am caching in an area.

Then again 500 caches is a whole lot of caches considering the most I ever found in a day was 130. I could also purposely down grade some of my PQs just in case I was going on a long trip and needed PQ along a route on the way there and then a PQ for the area I actually want to cache.

I definitely like to store waypoints as I have been in cache planting mode and so I will mark the waypoints as I am out bicycling or driving around.

So is the reason for only 1000 or 2000 caches available because of the paperless caching? My eXplorist could hold so many PQs because it didn't have the more complex GPX data to contend with?

I think I could live with 1000 caches. I might just might make my PQs 450 each or even less just to allow for some wiggle room and honestly I don't need that many caches in the unit on any given day of caching. In fact I just ran my "closest 200 caches active and unfound" at 450 caches and that is far more caches than I could possibly run across in a day. I think it covers about 2500 square miles!

Anyone have any experience with bicylce mounts for these two units?

This post has been edited by elrojo14: 17 August 2009 - 09:59 AM


#21 User is offline   Mike_Hawk 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 19-September 04

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

View Postelrojo14, on Aug 17 2009, 10:50 AM, said:

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 17 2009, 10:41 AM, said:

A PQ holds 500 caches regardless of what unit, so the OR will hold up to 4 PQs while the PN series will hold 2 if no child waypoints are included. I hope I helped with that... :(

Wow, that is kind of disappointing. My eXplorists have nearly all of my 200 cache PQs in them and it is nice to be able to switch back and forth if I need to.


I'm thinking he meant fully loaded (500) PQ files.

#22 User is offline   Rockin Roddy 

  • Please pay attention out there, LOOK for bikes!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8696
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:02 AM

View Postelrojo14, on Aug 17 2009, 09:50 AM, said:

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 17 2009, 10:41 AM, said:

A PQ holds 500 caches regardless of what unit, so the OR will hold up to 4 PQs while the PN series will hold 2 if no child waypoints are included. I hope I helped with that... :(

Wow, that is kind of disappointing. My eXplorists have nearly all of my 200 cache PQs in them and it is nice to be able to switch back and forth if I need to. However I usually update them and only use them when I am caching in an area.

Then again 500 caches is a whole lot of caches considering the most I ever found in a day was 130. I could also purposely down grade some of my PQs just in case I was going on a long trip and needed PQ along a route on the way there and then a PQ for the area I actually want to cache.

I definitely like to store waypoints as I have been in cache planting mode and so I will mark the waypoints as I am out bicycling or driving around.

So is the reason for only 1000 or 2000 caches available because of the paperless caching? My eXplorist could hold so many PQs because it didn't have the more complex GPX data to content with?

I think I could live with 1000 caches. I might just might make my PQs 450 each or even less just to allow for some wiggle room and honestly I don't need that many caches in the unit on any given day of caching.

Anyone have any experience with bicylce mounts for these two units?


Either the Garmin or DeLorme have bike mounts, they're around $30 for either unit.

I truly don't know the reason for the limitation on PQs, but I would guess it is for the paperless feature...just speculating there though. I hear you on the cache planting mode, marking waypoints is something I do often as well. I have not had a problem though, since I only load a single PQ at a time which means I have plenty of room for marking waypoints when I want to. Currently, I have...waiting for the unit to boot...569 caches and waypoints from a PQ I did, plus I loaded 3 caches with send to. This means there was 66 child waypoints in the PQ I ran...

I sould add, removing caches from the DeLorme is simple with the use of Cache Register. I believe you can remove a PQ or any number of caches through that (speculating here, have not tried much). However, the Garmins seem to be a bit harder to remove the caches from....you may wish to check this out (maybe start a thread on this or check to see what threads discuss this).

This post has been edited by Rockin Roddy: 17 August 2009 - 10:05 AM


#23 User is offline   Rockin Roddy 

  • Please pay attention out there, LOOK for bikes!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8696
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

View PostMike_Hawk, on Aug 17 2009, 09:54 AM, said:

View Postelrojo14, on Aug 17 2009, 10:50 AM, said:

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 17 2009, 10:41 AM, said:

A PQ holds 500 caches regardless of what unit, so the OR will hold up to 4 PQs while the PN series will hold 2 if no child waypoints are included. I hope I helped with that... :(

Wow, that is kind of disappointing. My eXplorists have nearly all of my 200 cache PQs in them and it is nice to be able to switch back and forth if I need to.


I'm thinking he meant fully loaded (500) PQ files.


Absolutely. :)

#24 User is offline   Renegade Knight 

  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
  • Group: +Charter Members
  • Posts: 24762
  • Joined: 16-January 02

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

View PostMike_Hawk, on Aug 15 2009, 04:57 AM, said:

....
I wish I could just get both! I can't decide between the two.


Let the maps decide. Take a look at the offerings from both.

In my own opinion, for trail use the PN-40 has an edge in maps. For city use I'd give the edge to the 550.
For paperless caching they don't give good info as to what the PN-40 can do. The Oregon series does a reasonable job which is the first time I've been able to say that about a GPS.

#25 User is offline   elrojo14 

  • Cache Master
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 186
  • Joined: 04-August 06

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 17 2009, 11:02 AM, said:

Currently, I have...waiting for the unit to boot...569 caches and waypoints from a PQ I did, plus I loaded 3 caches with send to. This means there was 66 child waypoints in the PQ I ran...

What exactly are you referring to when you say child waypoints? Are you talking about something like my Historic 40 Stage Multi Cache where it is one cache but has 40 waypoints along with it? Or are you just talking about taking waypoints as you're out and about? I always though the child waypoints downloaded in a separate GPX and I stopped loading those a long time ago.

#26 User is offline   Mike_Hawk 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 19-September 04

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

So after having some time to think about it and do additional research, I've decided to go big and go with the Oregon 550. I'll get it from REI. I want to be 100% satisfied with my purchase!

I probably won't have it until about a week or 2. Can't wait!

#27 User is offline   Renegade Knight 

  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
  • Group: +Charter Members
  • Posts: 24762
  • Joined: 16-January 02

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

View Postelrojo14, on Aug 17 2009, 11:50 AM, said:

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 17 2009, 10:41 AM, said:

A PQ holds 500 caches regardless of what unit, so the OR will hold up to 4 PQs while the PN series will hold 2 if no child waypoints are included. I hope I helped with that... :(

Wow, that is kind of disappointing. My eXplorists have nearly all of my 200 cache PQs in them and it is nice to be able to switch back and forth if I need to. However I usually update them and only use them when I am caching in an area....


I suspect you don't have all 200 PQ's containing 100,000 caches active in your GPS at once. If I recall you can stuff them all on an SD card and have the Magellan load a different file meaning while you can access that many you can't do it all at once. Still swapping between GPX files on an SD card is a nice trick.

The Oregon is 2000 caches at once.

#28 User is offline   Rockin Roddy 

  • Please pay attention out there, LOOK for bikes!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8696
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

View Postelrojo14, on Aug 17 2009, 10:12 AM, said:

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 17 2009, 11:02 AM, said:

Currently, I have...waiting for the unit to boot...569 caches and waypoints from a PQ I did, plus I loaded 3 caches with send to. This means there was 66 child waypoints in the PQ I ran...

What exactly are you referring to when you say child waypoints? Are you talking about something like my Historic 40 Stage Multi Cache where it is one cache but has 40 waypoints along with it? Or are you just talking about taking waypoints as you're out and about? I always though the child waypoints downloaded in a separate GPX and I stopped loading those a long time ago.


Child waypoints are the parking coords and such that are given on some caches. Multi caches will not list all the waypoints or there'd be no point in going after the first stages, just go to the last. I would imagine I can fix it to not load the child points, I am too lazy to worry about it though since it really doesn't affect my caching in any way...

#29 User is offline   Rockin Roddy 

  • Please pay attention out there, LOOK for bikes!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8696
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

View PostRenegade Knight, on Aug 17 2009, 10:12 AM, said:

View PostMike_Hawk, on Aug 15 2009, 04:57 AM, said:

....
I wish I could just get both! I can't decide between the two.


Let the maps decide. Take a look at the offerings from both.

In my own opinion, for trail use the PN-40 has an edge in maps. For city use I'd give the edge to the 550.
For paperless caching they don't give good info as to what the PN-40 can do. The Oregon series does a reasonable job which is the first time I've been able to say that about a GPS.


Actually, for the cities, loading aerial imagery really gives an idea of what is behind the building in front of you since you can see it all from a bird's eye view!

Not sure what you mean on the paperless caching comment, but rest assured that anything you can do with the Garmin can be done with the PN series...paperless wise!

#30 User is offline   elrojo14 

  • Cache Master
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 186
  • Joined: 04-August 06

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:06 AM

View PostRenegade Knight, on Aug 17 2009, 11:15 AM, said:

View Postelrojo14, on Aug 17 2009, 11:50 AM, said:

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 17 2009, 10:41 AM, said:

A PQ holds 500 caches regardless of what unit, so the OR will hold up to 4 PQs while the PN series will hold 2 if no child waypoints are included. I hope I helped with that... ;)

Wow, that is kind of disappointing. My eXplorists have nearly all of my 200 cache PQs in them and it is nice to be able to switch back and forth if I need to. However I usually update them and only use them when I am caching in an area....


I suspect you don't have all 200 PQ's containing 100,000 caches active in your GPS at once. If I recall you can stuff them all on an SD card and have the Magellan load a different file meaning while you can access that many you can't do it all at once. Still swapping between GPX files on an SD card is a nice trick.

The Oregon is 2000 caches at once.


I don't have 200 PQs. I have about 30 PQs of 200 caches. Swapping the files back and forth is nice, but if I use more than 5 in a day I would be surprised.

So, I see the PN-40 comes with an SD card. Can I load two PQs onto one card and then swap them over from another? Or should I simply just take my lap top with me and swap them on the run if I couldn't figure out a way to break my trip up into smaller PQs?

I think the 1000 cache limit is workable. It will just take some pre-planning logistics if I am going to do a long trip or something. I also have the iPhone if there is reception and I just had my company buy me an air card for the lap top, which if I had the PQs already downloaded on the lap top I wouldn't even need reception.

I was just checking out the DeLorme website and the SE model has a 7 GB internal memory, but still only holds 1000 waypoints. WTH?

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 17 2009, 11:22 AM, said:

Child waypoints are the parking coords and such that are given on some caches. Multi caches will not list all the waypoints or there'd be no point in going after the first stages, just go to the last. I would imagine I can fix it to not load the child points, I am too lazy to worry about it though since it really doesn't affect my caching in any way...

Not necessarily. Check out my Historic 40 Stage Multi-Cache. You need info from all 39 stages before you can find the final. And you can do them in any order.

I just checked, the children are in the separate "-wpts.gpx" file included in the zip file. I have never run a PQ without compressing it into zip, so I assume it would still come as two files.

This post has been edited by elrojo14: 18 August 2009 - 06:32 AM


#31 User is offline   QuesterMark 

  • geocacher and waymarker
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 324
  • Joined: 27-April 06

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:41 AM

View PostRockin Roddy, on Aug 17 2009, 09:41 AM, said:

View Postelrojo14, on Aug 17 2009, 09:32 AM, said:

How many caches per pocket query for the two models?

I am currently using an eXplorist 500 so I am limited to 200. Going from eXplorist 500 to one of these two models, which one do you think I will like more?

I think I might be leaning Delorme. They gave me a free California Atlas at the 2008 SHOT Show so I think I owe them! I also used Streets and Roads for traveling across the country in 2007 and was pleased.



The OR can hold 2000 caches, the DeLormes hold 1000. Now, the big difference is, the OR can hold a TON of waypoints where the DeLorme counts the waypoints against your total...meaning if you load a PQ which also has child waypoints (parking coords and such) these will go against the total number you can load on the DeLorme! Not a problem for me since I only load a PQ of the area I'm going when I need it, but it could be an issue for some!



The Oregon 550 and 550T will hold 5,000 caches, up from 2,000 on the other Oregon models. That first startup after you dump that GPX file in there takes a while, but subsequent startups are fast.

For more on the overall question, check out this post by jeanne123.

This post has been edited by 0ccam: 18 August 2009 - 07:58 AM


#32 User is offline   embra 

  • Often wrong, never in doubt
  • Group: +Charter Members
  • Posts: 5213
  • Joined: 07-March 02

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:33 AM

View Postelrojo14, on Aug 18 2009, 10:06 AM, said:

So, I see the PN-40 comes with an SD card. Can I load two PQs onto one card and then swap them over from another? Or should I simply just take my lap top with me and swap them on the run if I couldn't figure out a way to break my trip up into smaller PQs?

Both the PN-40 and the Oregons have one area set aside for waypoints and/or geocaches in internal memory. Your 500 allowed 200 caches to be loaded into its corresponding area of internal memory, but the Magellans had the cool feature of allowing swapping in and out of memory the waypoint/cache files on SD card or other areas of internal memory. The PNs and Oregons lack this feature.

We've been lobbying DeLorme to add it, so I and others are hoping it will come to be. For now, you would need the laptop to swap files in and out.

#33 User is offline   elrojo14 

  • Cache Master
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 186
  • Joined: 04-August 06

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

All roads are pointing towards the PN-40. Now to just allocate the funds and find my best deal. I signed up with an electronic wholesaler through my retail business, but their $317 price for a PN-40 doesn't beat the eBay or even Amazon price of $300. So much for the electronics market!

#34 User is offline   TotemLake 

  • Wherever I go, there I am.
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 9389
  • Joined: 12-April 03

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

View Postelrojo14, on Aug 18 2009, 09:44 AM, said:

All roads are pointing towards the PN-40. Now to just allocate the funds and find my best deal. I signed up with an electronic wholesaler through my retail business, but their $317 price for a PN-40 doesn't beat the eBay or even Amazon price of $300. So much for the electronics market!

Be sure to buy from an authorized seller. As with other electronics, your warranty is void if you don't. Amazon is an authorized seller.

#35 User is offline   steelyken 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 10-October 08

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

Crutchfield has the PN-40 for 299.99 and there is a $20 off coupon posted at the Delorme forums that works.
Mine will be arriving tomorrow and it will be my first gpsr.

#36 User is offline   Rockin Roddy 

  • Please pay attention out there, LOOK for bikes!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8696
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

View Poststeelyken, on Aug 18 2009, 01:23 PM, said:

Crutchfield has the PN-40 for 299.99 and there is a $20 off coupon posted at the Delorme forums that works.
Mine will be arriving tomorrow and it will be my first gpsr.


Congrat!! wish I had been able to start off with one of the best units on the market!! :rolleyes: Let us know how it works for you!

#37 User is offline   Mike_Hawk 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 19-September 04

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

UPDATE: Went with the Oregon 550, came in about 2 weeks ago. Coming from an ancient eTrex Vista, this thing rocks! Even turning it on at home and work (60 miles apart), I get locked on to GPS sats in seconds, literally. I love the paperless geocaching and it's 5000 geocache capacity.
Touchscreen is great, especially when making field notes. The field notes ability itself is great! I used to have a very cumbersome way of making notes of my finds.
The touchscreen also allows me to navigate around the map very quickly. Great for browsing geocaches.
I like the built-in camera, allows me to take geotagged pictures. It's not the greatest quality camera, but it does what I want.
Yes, the screen isn't perfect in the sun, but I don't mind consuming the extra battery power to use the backlight. It's a compromise of technology. I have Zagg's InvisibleShield on it as well.
Overall, I'm very happy with my new GPSr and hope it lasts a long time with no major issues.

#38 User is offline   elrojo14 

  • Cache Master
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 186
  • Joined: 04-August 06

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:12 AM

I got my Delorme PN-40 in from Amazon about two weeks ago. The GPS and pocket queries are easy to figure out. That was a snap. It is the Delorme Topo 8 that takes some work. However, after a week or so, I got it figured out and using my $30 map subscription, I got some aeriels and topos downloaded and they came in handy for a big cache planting trek whitefam5, lil brock, and I did by car and bicycle. I really like the RAM mounts for the PN-40 and now have one on my two bicycles and motorcycle.

The battery life didn't last the whole day, but just having it pluged into USB or a car lighter keeps from running down the battery and I will do that while I am traveling in the vehicle from now on.

Overall I am quite pleased with it. I would have to use the Oregon 550 for a while to give a comparison, but without that, I know the PN-40 is going to be great for caching anyway. I am looking foward to using it even more in the future.

#39 User is offline   Mike_Hawk 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 19-September 04

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:21 AM

In the end, you can't go wrong with either unit. One will just suit the user a little better than the other.

#40 User is offline   snakyjake 

  • Geocacher
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 38
  • Joined: 24-May 07

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

Besides for geocaching features, I'm mostly interested how the devices perform in the backcountry, mapping (including custom maps), and any features that assist in helping me get where I want to go when no roads or directions exist.

I have the PN-40 and have been mostly happy with the device. However, I wouldn't mind something that makes custom maps more intuitive, streamlined, and integrated. For example, I'd like to include off road vehicle parks on the GPS. Or perhaps ski trails. And I'd prefer good user supported custom maps so I don't have to create my own custom maps if someone else already did all the work...and if I do the work I can share my maps too.

Can anyone add comments comparing:

Screen
Quality
Size
Resolution
Sunlight
Brightness
I'm concerned that the Garmin touchscreen reflects too much sun or perhaps the touchscreen is too sensitive, or too slow, or something not as good as real buttons.


Usability
Intuitive
Quick
I don't want to be spending too much time navigating interfaces when I'd rather be viewing what I intended to see while on a trail.


Maps
Detail
Accuracy
Need 1:24000 detail, aerial, satellite, more info the better.
Delorme provides a lot of map detail for $30 per year. However, much of the maps are available for free online. Does Garmin offer free maps with equal or better quality...and as well integrated without much effort?


Battery
Nothing like having a dead GPS when you want it. I typically have to turn the device on/off to preserve power for long trips.


GPS Performance
And of course the devices need to be highly accurate, have WAAS, connect to GPS signal quickly, and maintain lock.


Desktop Software
Intuitive
Rich features
Custom maps
Delorme Topo has been okay, however it can be clunky and not streamlined. Maybe there's something better.
I also like to add a lot of notes and pictures to my points of interest with the desktop software. I typically like to link a POI with a word document. Or better yet, create a link to a Google Word Document that can be shared to others.

Thanks,

Jake

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic