Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trouble with zip code / adress serch Zip code serch keeps showing Easter Island

#1 User is offline   Washingtonirving81 

• Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:07 PM

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or how to fix my geocaching app? When I run a cache serch by zip code or address I only get Easter Island caches. I live in Atlanta Ga so you can see how this might be a problem. It worked yesterday fine. I have deleted and reinstaled the app but that didn't fix the issue.

#2 User is offline   isuquinndog 

• Geocacher

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:43 AM

Are you on version 2.3.1?

#3 User is offline   pjn1969 

• Tadpole
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

I am getting this too. I am having to do the search on the PC and find the cache code and enter that in the search in the app. It is very frustrating. I am on the latest version.

#4 User is offline   JoshLytle 

• Former Lackey

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

View Postpjn1969, on Oct 9 2009, 07:06 AM, said:

I am getting this too. I am having to do the search on the PC and find the cache code and enter that in the search in the app. It is very frustrating. I am on the latest version.

What's the search string you're using? Also, can you post a screenshot (or at least describe) the caches you see when you input that search string?

#5 User is offline   Qbar 

• I try.....

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

yeah, but Easter Island would be an incredibly cool place to go geo-caching, don't you think.

(totally useless post towards solving the problem, I know

#6 User is offline   IJump 

• Just Geocaching

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

I am on v2.3.1. I get Easter Island with a search by postal code (40509) or full address. If I pull an address from my contacts, I still get the same Easter Island list.

The first cache in the list is GC1AGQT.

And yes, that would be a cool place to cache...

#7 User is offline   isuquinndog 

• Geocacher

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

I'm getting the same thing for that zip code.

In fact when I put mine it, I get the same results. I'm at 61761. Odd. I have an iPhone 3G.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by isuquinndog: 09 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

#8 User is offline   admo1972 

• "C" is for CALM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

Very weird. I am sure I did a search yesterday by zip code, and it was fine. Now it searches only Easter Island. Seems like a cool April Fools joke or something. Seems like Groundspeak needs to shop aroun dfor a new search provider...

#9 User is offline   JoshLytle 

• Former Lackey

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

We're looking into this now. It just stopped working last night for some reason.

#10 User is offline   gpleonard 

• Premium Member

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

View PostWashingtonirving81, on Oct 8 2009, 11:07 PM, said:

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or how to fix my geocaching app? When I run a cache serch by zip code or address I only get Easter Island caches. I live in Atlanta Ga so you can see how this might be a problem. It worked yesterday fine. I have deleted and reinstaled the app but that didn't fix the issue.

I was looking on the way home, hope it's fixed soon. Easter Island it a bit to far from Idaho.

#11 User is offline   BarrettFam 

• Premium Member

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

Yup same here, just got this app yesterday and was pretty tripped out that it wanted to send me out into the Pacific so soon...
No matter what zip, or address I enter it always comes up with the Easter island caches...would love to hit those but it's not in the cards just yet.
Thanks for looking into this.
Beau

#12 User is offline   BarrettFam 

• Premium Member

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:05 PM

The Island is calling us...

This post has been edited by BarrettFam: 09 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

#13 User is offline   Washingtonirving81 

• Premium Member

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

View PostBarrettFam, on Oct 9 2009, 09:05 PM, said:

The Island is calling us...

Maybe we should all go to Easter Island for a little caching. I don't have plans for the weekend.

#14 User is offline   BarrettFam 

• Premium Member

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:14 AM

Would be awesome... What I'd really like is for the most expensive app I've ever bought to work properly. :(

#15 User is offline   gpleonard 

• Premium Member

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

View PostBarrettFam, on Oct 10 2009, 04:14 AM, said:

Would be awesome... What I'd really like is for the most expensive app I've ever bought to work properly. :(

Is anyone working on this problem? Does the iphone use the same database as a pc? Seems to be a problem somewhere in that area.

#16 User is offline   VarsityRadio 

• Premium Member

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:22 AM

View PostBarrettFam, on Oct 10 2009, 03:14 AM, said:

I second that. Bought this app for ten bucks for an afternoon of geocaching in Smuggler's Notch, it kept sending me to Easter Island, and the whole time I had to hear about how I wasted TEN DOLLARS on a useless app. Thanks Groundspeak!

#17 User is offline   camper03 

• Premium Member

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

y

This post has been edited by camper03: 11 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

#18 User is offline   camper03 

• Premium Member

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

Yeh, i just did a search for the place we're going tomorrow morning. Might be a bit hard to get the motorhome there. HOWEVER I would not call this app worthless. It is probably the best money spent for an app. Mrs Camper and I have this on both of our phones. And when something like this happens we know that Groundspeak will fix it ASAP!! :(

#19 User is offline   gpleonard 

• Premium Member

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:14 AM

View Postcamper03, on Oct 11 2009, 08:35 PM, said:

Yeh, i just did a search for the place we're going tomorrow morning. Might be a bit hard to get the motorhome there. HOWEVER I would not call this app worthless. It is probably the best money spent for an app. Mrs Camper and I have this on both of our phones. And when something like this happens we know that Groundspeak will fix it ASAP!! :(

If users had trouble accessing data from db's I take care of for three days, I'd be down the road.

#20 User is offline   Trojax 

• Tadpole

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:36 PM

Hi there i am in the UK and am getting this to on my iphone 3gs first listing form post code is GC12BH9 8389 miles away lol

Trojax

#21 User is offline   gpsblake 

• Premium Member

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

Same problem here with the iphone app. Always takes me to Easter Island no matter what zip code I search from.

The geocaching.com search is messed up here also... I search by the 29006 zip code (Batesburg, SC), it leads me to Spain for my search. But if I put in the zip of 29070, it's correct in the search. The database geocaching uses must be really messed up.

#22 User is offline   gpleonard 

• Premium Member

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:38 PM

View PostJoshLytle, on Oct 9 2009, 01:23 PM, said:

We're looking into this now. It just stopped working last night for some reason.

Is this still being looked into? Seems the same six show up everytime. Are our searches being redirected?

#23 User is offline   jaroot 

• Geocacher

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

Same problem here. Using 59601, 59901 and 84041. I'd love to go caching on Easter Island but with only six caches it hardly seems worth the swi
:P

#24 User is offline   Bjg8 

• Tadpole

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

View Postjaroot, on Oct 12 2009, 06:16 PM, said:

Same problem here. Using 59601, 59901 and 84041. I'd love to go caching on Easter Island but with only six caches it hardly seems worth the swi
:P

yeah I'm in western ny and this has been frustrating trying to find good caches near my future destination only to be sent to Easter island everytime.

#25 User is offline   jon&laurs 

• Tadpole

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

I got the app on Saturday, I'm getting the same Easter island cache when searching any zip. Will this be fixed in an update?

#26 User is offline   runaway119 

• Premium Member

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

same thing here, happened a few months back. just recieved a email reply saying that they're working on it.

#27 User is offline   daktus 

• Premium Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:24 AM

Same problem in The Netherlands.

#28 User is offline   digdagdug 

• Tadpole

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:52 AM

Hi,

you do nothing wrong. Same problem here in Germany. The nearby-search works, the address-search doesn't - returns only easter island caches :P

Maybe it's a problem with the new iphone-firmware 3.1.2., because that's the only thing I changed after the address search did work.

Bye,

Donald Dug

This post has been edited by digdagdug: 13 October 2009 - 01:56 AM

#29 User is offline   gpleonard 

• Premium Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:28 AM

View Postdigdagdug, on Oct 13 2009, 02:52 AM, said:

Hi,

you do nothing wrong. Same problem here in Germany. The nearby-search works, the address-search doesn't - returns only easter island caches :D

Maybe it's a problem with the new iphone-firmware 3.1.2., because that's the only thing I changed after the address search did work.

Bye,

Donald Dug

It's not 3.1.2, I know someone who hasn't updated. They're having the same problems as everyone else.
Would someone from Groundspeak reply again and tell us what is going on? When it may be fixed, that would be nice. Thanks.

#30 User is offline   JoshLytle 

• Former Lackey

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

We're working on the problem. The next update to the app will fix this issue.

This post has been edited by JoshLytle: 13 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

#31 User is offline   Bryan 

• Groundspeak Lackey
  • Group: Lackeys

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

iPhone Geocachers,

We were mistakingly using the geohash.org service for geocoding, and just found out that it's not supposed to be used as a plain geocoding service, so we're working with them to fix the situation temporarily while we find a proper service.

Thanks for your patience.

#32 User is offline   gpsblake 

• Premium Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

The zip code is working here on the ipod as of midnight eastern time. Even the 29006 zip code is searching right on the ipod program. Thanks for the fix.

BTW: the 29006 zip code on geocaching.com still is searching in Spain... no biggie.

#33 User is offline   isuquinndog 

• Geocacher

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:54 AM

Yep, did my zip code and it did the correct caches showed up. Thanks for fixing!

#34 User is offline   allifradgley 

• Tadpole

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

I'm still having trouble with mine. I'm in the UK, I put a postcode in the UK into my iphone and I get caches in West Virginia, USA.

I have read all the replies and are we just waiting for an app update? I'm a newbie so please be gentle. ;)

Also my map is blank. Just grey squares. I have left the map to load for hours and nothing happens?

This post has been edited by allifradgley: 26 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

#35 User is offline   JoshLytle 

• Former Lackey

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:08 AM

View Postallifradgley, on Oct 26 2009, 10:32 AM, said:

I'm still having trouble with mine. I'm in the UK, I put a postcode in the UK into my iphone and I get caches in West Virginia, USA.

I have read all the replies and are we just waiting for an app update? I'm a newbie so please be gentle. :signalviolin:

Also my map is blank. Just grey squares. I have left the map to load for hours and nothing happens?

Could you tell me what the postcode you entered is?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic