Groundspeak Forums: Geosphere on the iPod Touch - My experience - Groundspeak Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Geosphere on the iPod Touch - My experience

#1 User is offline   ciarmer 

• Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

For those of you using an iPod Touch, I thought I’d post my recent experience.

I have now had the opportunity to use both Geocaching.com application and Geosphere on my iPod Touch. I use GSAK on my home PC and I needed to upgrade my Pocket PC which I used with Cachemate. I upgraded from my Pocket PC to the iPod Touch.

The Geosphere app has become my application of choice. I cannot comment on how these apps compare on the iPhone, but for the Touch, where I have WIFI access at home and no access in the field, I have found the Geosphere app to be far more powerful and useful. The following are the key differences as I’ve observed:

1. Geosphere maintains a database of caches on your Touch which you can update for changes in much the same way as you update GSAK on your PC or Cachemate on your pocket PC

2. Geosphere has the ability to read any GPX (zipped or unzipped) file. This includes not only pocket queries but also GPX files that you create from GSAK. You just use your email to retrieve them into the application. The new GPX file updates your current database rather than replacing it.

3. Geosphere has very powerful search, sort and grouping capabilities. You can search by name, distance (from your location or from another cache), waypoint, size and state. It also can filter your searches by cache size, difficulty, terrain and distance. You can also filter by found/not found and owned. In all of these sorts and searches you can choose to ignore specific caches.

4. While it includes all of the “child waypoints” in the GPX file, you also have the ability to enter your own additional cache-related waypoints including parking coordinates, coordinates for additional stages of a multi, a trailhead, etc. When you’ve found stage 3 of that 5 stage multi, all of the coordinates for the stages you have found (and entered) can be found with the cache information by clicking on “Related Waypoints”.

5. As in the Geocaching.com application, you can log your finds (or DNFs, etc.) and save your logs for when you have WIFI access at which point you can upload your logs directly to Geocaching.com field notes.

6. You can mark caches for inclusion into “Groups” that you create (for example – “My cache targets for today”). You can then sort by these groups so that during your caching outing, you can concentrate only on the caches that you’ve targeted for the day. Any cache in the database can be assigned to any number of groups.

7. Many other features including tracking of travel bugs, maps (which you can access while on line and “snapshot” so you have access when you’re in the field) and lots more.

Overall, Geosphere is a very feature-rich application.

I now have the ability to maintain a database on my Touch which is identical to my GSAK database on my PC. In this way, I have access to all the same information in the field as I have when I am at home on my PC.

#2 User is offline   CaptCosmic 

• Premium Member

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

I've been using Geosphere for a couple of weeks now, and I find myself using it more now than the Geocaching.com app for most of the reasons that you mentioned above. With an iPhone, the map and compass search modes work great, and I haven't had any issues with it.

It is a worthy alternative to the official app.

#3 User is offline   Riverwolf 

• Caching the Fever

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:33 PM

I was sure glad to see this. I got my iPhone this past week and had been debating on the merits of the Geocaching app to the Geosphere app...and everything I see here tells me that Geosphere is a superior app to the Groundspeak one.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

#4 User is offline   Team VCR 

• Premium Member

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

I bought Geosphere last friday in anticipation of trying it out in the field on my iPod touch. I've gotta say, it's a great app even without the GPS functionality of the iPhone. Now I don't need to buy a new GPSr to go paperless.

#5 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:32 AM

View Postciarmer, on Oct 9 2009, 07:16 PM, said:

1. Geosphere maintains a database of caches on your Touch which you can update for changes in much the same way as you update GSAK on your PC or Cachemate on your pocket PC

This is what I mainly use my iPhone for while caching. I like having all the cache info right there on hand. Is there a way to delete the old caches/database so you can start with only the caches you're going to send to it?

5. As in the Geocaching.com application, you can log your finds (or DNFs, etc.) and save your logs for when you have WIFI access at which point you can upload your logs directly to Geocaching.com field notes.

I love this feature of the GC.com app. I wonder if someone is using an iPhone, if the field notes will get sent live since there may be a data connection.

#6 User is offline   jmd65 

• Premium Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

View PostSkippermark, on Oct 12 2009, 09:32 AM, said:

This is what I mainly use my iPhone for while caching. I like having all the cache info right there on hand. Is there a way to delete the old caches/database so you can start with only the caches you're going to send to it?

Yes. Also, you can have named groups of caches and only delete on a group basis. I have groups for the various areas I go to (named by town). I download the PQs from my yahoo account. You can choose which groups you want displayed. You can also highlight caches and only display those, which I find to be very useful.

I like it that Geosphere has a smiley face on the caches I have found.

#7 User is offline   CaptCosmic 

• Premium Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

View PostSkippermark, on Oct 12 2009, 07:32 AM, said:

View Postciarmer, on Oct 9 2009, 07:16 PM, said:

You can. It requires that you download caches into a group. If you create a group for "Today's Trip", for example, you can go in an empty that group each time before downloading your new list of caches.

I love this feature of the GC.com app. I wonder if someone is using an iPhone, if the field notes will get sent live since there may be a data connection.

No. All Field Notes are held in the app. In order to upload them, you have to explicitly go to the data page and choose upload field notes.

John

#8 User is offline   Riverwolf 

• Caching the Fever

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

Does Geosphere timestamp and set as center the cache I've just marked as found (or un-found) thereby showing me the next closest cache to my (now) current location?

Also, with the .GPX files in Geosphere, do you get the encrypted hint and last five logs?

#9 User is offline   CaptCosmic 

• Premium Member

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

View PostRiverwolf, on Oct 14 2009, 03:07 PM, said:

Does Geosphere timestamp and set as center the cache I've just marked as found (or un-found) thereby showing me the next closest cache to my (now) current location?

It can either find caches around your current location, or a cache location. You can sort the list by distance. Gives you plenty of ways to slice and dice. And you can map them to see how close they are to you.

Also, with the .GPX files in Geosphere, do you get the encrypted hint and last five logs?

It will give you the hint and the last five logs. The hint is already decrypted, but it is hidden behind a Hints menu item.

John

#10 User is offline   Riverwolf 

• Caching the Fever

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

Could someone who uses this app upload some real world screenshots of the maps, lists and so forth?

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Riverwolf: 14 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

#11 User is offline   fegan 

• I'm Not Lost, I'm Geocaching!

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:59 PM

View PostRiverwolf, on Oct 14 2009, 07:24 PM, said:

Could someone who uses this app upload some real world screenshots of the maps, lists and so forth?

Yeah, I would appreciate that too. :D

There is no demo/free version to try it...and I'm a little hesitant to spend $7.99 (since I already have the Geocaching app, which I got for $2.99 last Christmas when it was on sale) for something I'll rarely use, since I already have a nice GPS (Colorado 400t).

Thanks very much!

#12 User is offline   ciarmer 

• Premium Member

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

The website contains screen shots and a video.
I don't know how to get screen shots off my ipod Touch or else I'd do it.
Here is the website:
Geosphere Home Page

#13 User is offline   fegan 

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

View Postciarmer, on Oct 14 2009, 10:53 PM, said:

I don't know how to get screen shots off my ipod Touch or else I'd do it.

For future reference, press the Home and Power button to take a screen shot.

#14 User is offline   fegan 

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:38 PM

Here is the website:
Geosphere Home Page

Thanks for the website link...a lot more info than shown in the iTunes store.

I'm a little bummed by their method of loading GPX data from Pocket Queries. The website mentions downloading from any supported webmail provider (I did look on their Support page and see that they support GoDaddy). However, I never use the webmail on my iPhone for my GoDaddy e-mail...it's way too difficult to navigate on the iPhone's small screen. So even though they support it, this would make the app useless for me as I would never be able to load any data. I expected I would be able to get them from the attachments in the iPhone's e-mail interface. This is a major bummer...I'm glad I didn't spend the $7.99 to find this out the hard way. :D

It looks like a great app...but this one 'feature' really kills it for me. :D

Thanks for saving me $7.99! :D

#15 User is offline   ColoradoGeoHound 

• Premium Member

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:51 AM

I have been using the GC app for about 4 months. I think it is a good app and did not see much room for improvement. That is until I downloaded Geosphere last night. Geoshphere beats GC hands down in almost every aspect. Almost every feature I have wanted or seen requested in this forum has been implemented and some I didn’t even think about.

Geosphere allows you to maintain multiple lists of caches on the phone. It is not limited to lists created by a single Pocket Query or to the 500 cache limit.

Lists can be filtered. In GC, I created pre-filtered Pocket Queries so that I can see different subsets of caches. e.g. ‘Single unfound caches near me’, ‘Puzzle caches’, ‘Denver’, ‘Caches I have found’. In Geosphere, I can still do that but it is not necessary. You can download ALL the caches in an area and set the filter on the phone to limit what you want to see.

I live in Colorado Springs. There are over 2000 caches in the city limit. This was a real pain on GC. I had to maintain multiple lists by region of the city. Many caches would be in multiple lists because of search overlap. When I found a cache, I would need to record it online and download multiple PQs to remove it from the lists. With Geosphere, I can put all 2000 in one group if I want to. And if a cache is in multiple groups, I can record it as found on the phone and filter so that found caches are not shown in the list. Oh, and you can view multiple groups at one time.

Last night I viewed 500 caches on a map in my iPhone for the first time. It was actually faster than my pc! In the GC app, you can only see ‘caches near me’ on the iPhone. In Geoshere you can see ANY list on a map. And the map uses colored pins that don’t hide the cache location as much as the fat green tags on GC.
One of the benefits of using an iPhone is that you get satellite maps. Unless of course you are not near a cell tower. While neither app has the ability to cache maps, Geosphere does allow you to capture a screen shot on the maps screen and attach it to the cache. You can take and capture pictures with the camera as well.

The GC app does make it slightly easier to load caches onto the phone from the website. This is mainly due to the fact that they have an inside track. I read somewhere that gc.com does not publish the interface they use to download caches to the iPhone. This gives them an unfair competitive advantage. I was however able to download multiple PQs (through email) within minutes. The technique was a little more difficult but it worked flawlessly.

I am going out caching today in Missouri to see how well the app works in the field. I will keep you posted.

#16 User is offline   Riverwolf 

• Caching the Fever

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:34 AM

View Postfegan, on Oct 15 2009, 08:38 PM, said:

Here is the website:
Geosphere Home Page

Thanks for the website link...a lot more info than shown in the iTunes store.

I'm a little bummed by their method of loading GPX data from Pocket Queries. The website mentions downloading from any supported webmail provider (I did look on their Support page and see that they support GoDaddy). However, I never use the webmail on my iPhone for my GoDaddy e-mail...it's way too difficult to navigate on the iPhone's small screen. So even though they support it, this would make the app useless for me as I would never be able to load any data. I expected I would be able to get them from the attachments in the iPhone's e-mail interface. This is a major bummer...I'm glad I didn't spend the $7.99 to find this out the hard way. :D

It looks like a great app...but this one 'feature' really kills it for me. :D

Thanks for saving me $7.99! :D

That's one of the things I like about the app. I set up a separate Gmail e-mail address just for the use on my iPhone so it makes it easy to use this feature on the app. I just forward any PQ's from Groundspeak to my iPhone e-mail address or e-mail my phone with any GSAK generated .GPX fies.

I have to say that I've found this app to be very appealing for the features it offers.

#17 User is offline   roiegat 

• Premium Member

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

I use geosphere as well and I do like it. I particulary like that you can get closer on the map view then you can with the geocache app. I do prefer to log my find with the geocache app, but thats just personal preference.

Since I paid for both, I use both. Geosphere does require a bit more work to get the data into it, but once you have a system going it's not bad. I find that if I get a notice of a new cache, it's easier to start with the geocache app.

#18 User is offline   fegan 

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

View PostRiverwolf, on Oct 16 2009, 11:34 AM, said:

That's one of the things I like about the app. I set up a separate Gmail e-mail address just for the use on my iPhone so it makes it easy to use this feature on the app. I just forward any PQ's from Groundspeak to my iPhone e-mail address or e-mail my phone with any GSAK generated .GPX fies.

I have to say that I've found this app to be very appealing for the features it offers.

"e-mail my phone with any GSAK generated .GPX fies"

How do you make that work? My understanding was they had to be in webmail. If you can get GPX files out of your phone's e-mail...that's what I would prefer.

#19 User is offline   ciarmer 

• Premium Member

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

You don't really email your phone. Within the app, your gmail or yahoo or aol webmail accounts are bookmarked. You access the email account within the app and simply find the email that contains your gpx attachment (might be a zipped gpx). One click on it and the app reads the file and updates the database for any geocaches that have changed since the last time you updated.

#20 User is offline   ColoradoGeoHound 

• Premium Member

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:31 AM

So I tried Geosphere in the field for the first time yesterday. After finding almost 500 caches with the GC app, it took a bit of adjusting to the menu flow differences. But once I did, things went smoothly.

I usually keep the brightness on the phone low to save battery power. This can make small numbers, like the distance to the cache, difficult to read. Caches were easier to find on map page because the distance to the cache was in a larger, bolder font and a small version of the rotating compass appears on the map page.

Having a map of the list was great! I started the day by filtering on caches near me that I had not found. While looking at the list, I could always switch to map view. This is similar to how ‘Find nearby caches’ works on GC but I also got to filter on cache type and I never had to re-issue a search even though I traveled. I worked with the same list all day.

Geosphere allowed me to create field notes as I went. I had never bothered to use this feature on GC. There are two nice features about the geosphere implementation. 1) If I make a ‘found’ field note, Geosphere marks it as found internally. This means that it instantly disappears from my working list since I filter on unfound caches. 2) No attempt is made to upload the log at the time of entry. I like this because it makes it quick and does not require an internet connection while in the field. Also, Geosphere keeps a list of unposted field notes. At anytime I can see what caches I have found today. Once I got back to the house, uploading the field notes and converting them to log entries was a cinch.

Sometimes when I try to zoom in or out on a map, I inadvertently touch a button and leave the cache map page. On GC, this may require me to re-issue a search which is a pain. I still inadvertently touched buttons this on geosphere but I could always go back to my cache with one tap.

#21 User is offline   ngrrfan 

• One of the Monday Musketeers

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:19 AM

I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod Touch. I also bought Geosphere.

My main use will be for just paperless caching. I'll use my regular GPS for hunting, but I wanted the ability to look at hints, and logs while out in the field. This coming week will be a good test and learning experience.

#22 User is offline   ColoradoGeoHound 

• Premium Member

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

In preparation to a trip to Omaha tomorrow, I decided to create a route with caches. After creating the route, I downloaded the PQ to both GC and Geosphere. Once the GC app was loaded, it took 5 clicks on the screen and about 15 seconds to download the PQ. I then tried it on Geosphere. Guess what, it took 5 clicks and about 15 seconds.

The initial setup was slightly more complicated when I purchased the app but after that adding/updating PQs takes the exact same effort and time. The initial setup required me to get a free gmail account (my hotmail account would not work), change the PQs to email to the new address and then enter my username/password into Geoshphere the first time. Geosphere automatically logs you in after that. I did not need to setup the gmail account in my iphone and don’t plan on doing so. Geosphere uses the web client through a browser built into the app.

#23 User is offline   ColoradoGeoHound 

• Premium Member

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Caches along a route shown im map mode in Geosphere
Posted Image

#24 User is offline   MrGigabyte 

• GeoCoin Mogul
  • Group: +Charter Members

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

I would like to mention a few things that I have discovered that others seem to be struggling with.

Cached Google maps
Google maps on the iPhone allows caching. So go to the map view in geosphere and pan around, enough to cover your whole PQ. Now switch to airline mode. Go back to the map view and your maps are still there, even though you are offline (simulating no cell connection). Considering about 90% of the time I am in areas with zero cell coverage or in an area where I would incur huge roaming charges, this is very useful. I find if I am going to an area I will take a few minutes at home and pan the entire area at a higher zoom. The entire set of tiles remains cached. Once done, you can switch to airline mode and the maps even load faster than if you had a 3g connection. I still have the cached maps from months ago. I presume they remain cached until some memory limit is reached, but I have not reached it yet as far as I can tell.

Uploading GPX files
Next, uploading GPX files. I never use the email feature other describe. I simply use the Browser button under the Data tab and enter the IP of my Mac (i.e 192.168.1.101 on my local wifi network) and I get a directory listing of all the files in my web shared directory. Just click the GPX file I have exported there directly from GSAK and it is instantly loaded into geosphere. After you do it the first time, create a Bookmark of the url and save it. From now on just click the new Bookmark you created on the Data page, select all your gpx files and image files from your Mac/PC and you are done. It really could not be any easier.

Offline sat images
Lastly, geosphere allows you to load your own images and associate them with caches. I run a little script on my Mac that takes a list of caches I export from GSAK and it fetches a Google satellite image of each cache. These are all saved in a directory that I then load into geosphere via the Bookmark I previously described. Each image is named by its GC number. Now when you view the cache details of every cache, there is a new button on each page that says Image. Click the link and there is your offline sat view of every cache. I have close to 4 thousand cache sat images saved in geosphere. I only ever have to run the script once to get the whole set. Next time you upload a gpx file to update a group, if a cache is missing in the upload (i.e. I have previously found it) geosphere automatically deletes the saved image for you from its database. Again, this is all for offline usage. I never need a cell signal. It is so handy that it is the first thing I do when I view a cache now. "Third lamp post from the corner of parking lot. OK, lets skip it".

#25 User is offline   G.O. John and Carol 

• Premium Member

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:58 AM

No doubt about it, thisa is a really good app. I'm just starting to use it, and I already have a few suggestions/questions. One at a time though...

It seems that if you load a gpx file with more than 5 logs, no logs will be displayed. It's easy to say, but I don't understand why that restriction would be there, and it seems like it could be modified easily.

#26 User is offline   jmd65 

• Premium Member

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

View PostG.O. John and Carol, on Oct 18 2009, 09:58 AM, said:

It seems that if you load a gpx file with more than 5 logs, no logs will be displayed. It's easy to say, but I don't understand why that restriction would be there, and it seems like it could be modified easily.

It's more likely to be a bug than a restriction. You can go to the author's website and post feedback.

#27 User is offline   ciarmer 

• Premium Member

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:02 PM

View PostG.O. John and Carol, on Oct 18 2009, 06:58 AM, said:

No doubt about it, thisa is a really good app. I'm just starting to use it, and I already have a few suggestions/questions. One at a time though...

I have not had any similar issues. I'd suggest you contact tech support through the website. They have been extremely helpful and responsive.

Geosphere Home Page

#28 User is offline   Riverwolf 

• Caching the Fever

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

View Postfegan, on Oct 16 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

View PostRiverwolf, on Oct 16 2009, 11:34 AM, said:

"e-mail my phone with any GSAK generated .GPX fies"

How do you make that work? My understanding was they had to be in webmail. If you can get GPX files out of your phone's e-mail...that's what I would prefer.

Pretty much it works like ciarmer said...e-mailed an address that I have set up and then accessed it throuh the Geosphere app. Like I said, I set up a separate e-mail just for my iPhone so I liken it to just e-mailing the iPhone. My mistake on the wording.

As for using the app to find caches, I have to say that I am not overly impressed with the accuracy of the iPhone GPS. However, I can contribute my bias on this based on the fact that I started caching with the 60CSx instead of something a little less accurate, like the iPhone. It looks as if I will use the Geosphere app more as a paperless caching app moreso than using the onboard GPS. I am looking forward to me first cache run with the app.

#29 User is offline   ngrrfan 

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

View PostRiverwolf, on Oct 18 2009, 04:11 PM, said:

It looks as if I will use the Geosphere app more as a paperless caching app moreso than using the onboard GPS. I am looking forward to me first cache run with the app.

Exactly why I use an iTouch. Saves a ton of paper, however I've noticed significant increase in battery drain if you have the unit on all the time. It's easier for me to just use it like a notebook, only using it when needed. Best thing I've bought extra is the Griffin PowerJolt auto charger.

#30 User is offline   Bodaway 

• Premium Member

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:59 AM

View Postciarmer, on Oct 18 2009, 12:02 PM, said:

View PostG.O. John and Carol, on Oct 18 2009, 06:58 AM, said:

I have not had any similar issues. I'd suggest you contact tech support through the website. They have been extremely helpful and responsive.

Geosphere Home Page

Does anyone have any screen shots of the description of the cache and the logs?

There isn't a picture on their website.

These two things are what I am most interested in.

#31 User is offline   Riverwolf 

• Caching the Fever

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:00 AM

View PostBodaway, on Oct 30 2009, 04:59 AM, said:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The first one is the Desciption page. Second is one of the logs from the same cache and the third is the Edit option on the logs that shows what logs were done. Hope this helps.

#32 User is offline   Bodaway 

• Premium Member

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

View PostRiverwolf, on Oct 30 2009, 04:00 AM, said:

View PostBodaway, on Oct 30 2009, 04:59 AM, said:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The first one is the Desciption page. Second is one of the logs from the same cache and the third is the Edit option on the logs that shows what logs were done. Hope this helps.

Very nice thank you.

How many logs will it bring in?

#33 User is offline   trade_mark 

• Premium Member

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:16 PM

View PostBodaway, on Oct 30 2009, 12:51 PM, said:

There is no limit to the number of logs. However, due to a bug in version 2.0, it will only properly display the first 30. Logs beyond 30 can still be accessed in edit mode.

#34 User is offline   ngrrfan 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

View Posttrade_mark, on Oct 30 2009, 12:16 PM, said:

There is no limit to the number of logs. However, due to a bug in version 2.0, it will only properly display the first 30. Logs beyond 30 can still be accessed in edit mode.

I've tried accessing more logs in edit mode and I still only see the last 5.
(iPod touch w/v2)
Are you sure that more logs are downloaded?

#35 User is offline   Riverwolf 

• Caching the Fever

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:08 AM

View Postngrrfan, on Oct 30 2009, 10:19 PM, said:

(iPod touch w/v2)

I was kind of wondering about that myself...PQ's from Groundspeak only have the last 5 logs included, as far as I've been able to tell, and Geosphere uses PQ's and GSAK-generated .GPX files (which come from the PQ's) to make the list at which to look.

Overall, this app deosn't seem that far off of Cachemate for Palm or Windows Mobile but has some additional features Cachemate doesn't have that I am enjoying. There's only one thing I would like to see added on to it (and, yes, I will be suggesting it to the developer) and that's the ability to set the newest "found" cache as the center. I haven't seen where this is available.

#36 User is offline   ciarmer 

• Premium Member

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

View PostRiverwolf, on Oct 31 2009, 08:08 AM, said:

(iPod touch w/v2)

I was kind of wondering about that myself...PQ's from Groundspeak only have the last 5 logs included, as far as I've been able to tell, and Geosphere uses PQ's and GSAK-generated .GPX files (which come from the PQ's) to make the list at which to look.

Overall, this app deosn't seem that far off of Cachemate for Palm or Windows Mobile but has some additional features Cachemate doesn't have that I am enjoying. There's only one thing I would like to see added on to it (and, yes, I will be suggesting it to the developer) and that's the ability to set the newest "found" cache as the center. I haven't seen where this is available.

If you are using only pocket queries to populate the database, the pocket queries contain only five logs so your database will only contain five logs. I've been reading my PQ's into GSAK and then creating GPX files from GSAK. I can confirm that the software does not limit the number of logs displayed.

#37 User is offline   Riverwolf 

• Caching the Fever

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:19 PM

View Postciarmer, on Nov 1 2009, 11:52 AM, said:

View PostRiverwolf, on Oct 31 2009, 08:08 AM, said:

(iPod touch w/v2)

If you are using only pocket queries to populate the database, the pocket queries contain only five logs so your database will only contain five logs. I've been reading my PQ's into GSAK and then creating GPX files from GSAK. I can confirm that the software does not limit the number of logs displayed.

That's what I also did...and since I am using PQ's to populate my GSAK database, hence I am getting only five logs into my GSAK database also, ergo only five logs into my Geosphere database.

Still, I love this app.

#38 User is offline   ciarmer 

• Premium Member

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

[/quote]

That's what I also did...and since I am using PQ's to populate my GSAK database, hence I am getting only five logs into my GSAK database also, ergo only five logs into my Geosphere database.

Still, I love this app.
[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, the five log limit is not a GSAK limit. In other words, when you load a pocket query into GSAK, additional logs are added to each geocache entry in the GSAK database. With every new periodic upload of a pocket query into GSAK, the number of logs in the GSAK database will increase. So, if you are using GSAK as the basis of your input to Geosphere, you should be seeing more than five logs. Check your GSAK settings since you might have GSAK set to limit the number of logs to five in the creation of a GPX file.

#39 User is offline   deb3day 

• Premium Member

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

I purchased my IPOD touch specifically to use it for paperless caching. I purchase Geosphere and I am extremely pleased with it. I purchased a holding pouch that velcro's shut and it is on a carabiner. I can attach it to my beltloop and have it right there with me for a quick check of description or hint. I keep my 20 mile radius from home in one file, 10 mile radius from my parents for when I visit that area and then other files for individual day trips. I'm finding new ways to use it all the time.

I do have a suggestion for the person who objected to the email situation. I have a Yahoo mail account that I use specifically for this. All of my pocket queries go to that email and I can access it for my GSAK to load my GPSr and also for my IPOD touch to populate Geosphere. Works great.

deb3day

#40 User is offline   journey4truth 

• I travel. I cache. I blog.

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

I've downloaded Geosphere for my iPod Touch as well and after fiddling around with it, I'm very pleased with the app. Snapshots of satellite images are a real bonus and have helped me narrow my focus when searching around GZ. The only downside I see is when you want to do live searches outside the scope of your pocket queries, and it simply pipes you to Geocaching.com via its in-built browser. Say I happen to be in an area not covered by a PQ, that's when it makes more sense to use the official Geocaching app rather than Geosphere. (Same thing applies for looking up info on tracking bugs too.) It's for those reasons that I keep both apps on my Touch.

My phone doubles as a mi-fi module too, so I can access the Internet anywhere I get a cell signal. I'm also planning to get a GPS cradle for the Touch, and I'm anxious to see how that compares to the Garmin I currently have.

Now I'm currently debating whether to get GSAK or simply use Geocaching.com to plan specific cache hunts.

#41 User is offline   The Caching Coulters 

• Premium Member

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:29 AM

Thanks to this thread and a few other like it I've installed Geosphere. So far I like it but I can't get more than 5 logs to show. I've loaded the PQ's right from Geocaching.com and also loaded up a GPX export from GSAK with the same results, 5 logs.

I'm not sure I understand when people say that PQ's only have 5 logs. That is not my experience. I recently took a trip and ran a PQ for Cullman, AL. When I loaded this query into GSAK it loaded all the logs. Same for my 4 regular PQ's. All logs for all caches.

I'll try to get a screenshot of my GSAK GPX export up soon. But I do have it selected to "No Limit" for the logs.

Any suggestions?

#42 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

View Postciarmer, on Nov 2 2009, 04:02 PM, said:

If I'm not mistaken, the five log limit is not a GSAK limit. In other words, when you load a pocket query into GSAK, additional logs are added to each geocache entry in the GSAK database. With every new periodic upload of a pocket query into GSAK, the number of logs in the GSAK database will increase. So, if you are using GSAK as the basis of your input to Geosphere, you should be seeing more than five logs. Check your GSAK settings since you might have GSAK set to limit the number of logs to five in the creation of a GPX file.

Yes, this is how it works. There is no limit (theoretically) of how many logs can be in GSAK for each cache. Every time you import a PQ, any new logs are added into the cache listing. When you export a GPX file, you can control how many logs get exported.

For me, the magic number is 10. With 5, you might get 2 DNFs, a note from the owner saying he's going to check on it. Then the owner posting a note saying he checked on it and the cache is there and then a cacher posting another note saying thanks for checking.

So, when you're out in the field you have 5 logs that mean nothing (other than a confirmation that it's there) and don't really help much. With 10 logs, you usually get some snippet of info that can be used if needed.

#43 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:35 AM

View PostThe Caching Coulters, on Nov 12 2009, 09:29 AM, said:

Thanks to this thread and a few other like it I've installed Geosphere. So far I like it but I can't get more than 5 logs to show. I've loaded the PQ's right from Geocaching.com and also loaded up a GPX export from GSAK with the same results, 5 logs.

I'm not sure I understand when people say that PQ's only have 5 logs. That is not my experience. I recently took a trip and ran a PQ for Cullman, AL. When I loaded this query into GSAK it loaded all the logs. Same for my 4 regular PQ's. All logs for all caches.

I'll try to get a screenshot of my GSAK GPX export up soon. But I do have it selected to "No Limit" for the logs.

Any suggestions?

TCC, when you create a PQ on the GC site, only the last 5 logs are include in that file.

In GSAK say you have a database of caches within 25 miles of your house called "Nearby."

When you first fun the PQ (or a couple) and import it into GSAK, you will have 5 logs in there. Then, 2 weeks later you re-run the same PQs. If there are any new logs, they will get added into the existing logs. So say a cache had 5 logs and 3 people found it and 1 DNF'd it this past week, there will now be 9 logs for that cache in GSAK.

After doing this for a couple months, your database will end up with a lot of logs in it on the popular caches. When you export a GPX file from GSAK there's an option to limit the number of logs being exported. So, if a cache has 23 logs, you might want to limit it to 5 or 10 logs when you export it.

Overtime, if you don't purge out old logs, your GSAK database will end up huge with lots and logs of logs from months and months past. It's a good idea to purge out the old ones and keep only the last 15 or 20 every so often.

This post has been edited by Skippermark: 12 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

#44 User is offline   The Caching Coulters 

• Premium Member

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

View PostSkippermark, on Nov 12 2009, 09:35 AM, said:

View PostThe Caching Coulters, on Nov 12 2009, 09:29 AM, said:

Any suggestions?

TCC, when you create a PQ on the GC site, only the last 5 logs are include in that file.

In GSAK say you have a database of caches within 25 miles of your house called "Nearby."

When you first fun the PQ (or a couple) and import it into GSAK, you will have 5 logs in there. Then, 2 weeks later you re-run the same PQs. If there are any new logs, they will get added into the existing logs. So say a cache had 5 logs and 3 people found it and 1 DNF'd it this past week, there will now be 9 logs for that cache in GSAK.

After doing this for a couple months, your database will end up with a lot of logs in it on the popular caches. When you export a GPX file from GSAK there's an option to limit the number of logs being exported. So, if a cache has 23 logs, you might want to limit it to 5 or 10 logs when you export it.

Overtime, if you don't purge out old logs, your GSAK database will end up huge with lots and logs of logs from months and months past. It's a good idea to purge out the old ones and keep only the last 15 or 20 every so often.

That's just it, I've run these PQ a lot. When I look at any cache in GSAK it has all the logs but it is not transferring all of them to geosphere.

#45 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:18 AM

When you are exporting them from GSAK, you're not setting a limit on how many to export, right?

I don't really know anything about Geosphere and can't really help you much with it.

#46 User is offline   ciarmer 

• Premium Member

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

That's just it, I've run these PQ a lot. When I look at any cache in GSAK it has all the logs but it is not transferring all of them to geosphere.
[/quote]

I am using Geosphere with GPX files created in GSAK. There is no limit on the number of logs shown. Please make sure that you don't have a limit set (as suggested by Skippermark). When you export, check the screen that comes up where you set the parameters. Make sure that you select "No Limit" on the drop down for "Limit Number of Logs to Export". If you are still having problems with it, you should go to the Geosphere support site http://gbhometech.com/geosphere/forum/. The developer is very responsive.

#47 User is offline   The Caching Coulters 

• Premium Member

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

OK I be an idiot. Several weeks ago my hard drive crashed and took my gsak backup with it. So my new GSAK install only has one set of PQ's downloaded to it. Hence only 5 logs. I apologize for the confusion/my stupidity.

This post has been edited by The Caching Coulters: 13 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

#48 User is offline   ciarmer 

• Premium Member

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

View PostThe Caching Coulters, on Nov 13 2009, 09:07 PM, said:

OK I be an idiot. Several weeks ago my hard drive crashed and took my gsak backup with it. So my new GSAK install only has one set of PQ's downloaded to it. Hence only 5 logs. I apologize for the confusion/my stupidity.

It happens!! Glad that you found the problem!!

#49 User is offline   arkCacher 

• Premium Member

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:54 AM

I was wondering how you zoom out on the maps. I don't see a zoom bar and when I click on the screen in only zooms further and further in. Thanks for any help!

#50 User is offline   arkCacher 

• Premium Member

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

View PostarkCacher, on Nov 18 2009, 09:54 AM, said:

I was wondering how you zoom out on the maps. I don't see a zoom bar and when I click on the screen in only zooms further and further in. Thanks for any help!

I know I can click on the target or location buttons but what if they are right next to each other and I want to zoom out farther?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic