Pocket pc and software solutions for paperless

Luzak

Hi all, relatively new geocacher here with question about solutions for paperless caching. After a lot of research and some trial and errors I decided to look much more closely into gps and ppc combo for geocaching. I have Genie GT-31 gps unit that is very accurate and sensitive. I am very happy with the way it guides final approach to the cache hiding place. However, this unit stores only 6 characters of POI description.

After looking into insanely expensive mapping gps I decided to go with older pocket pc for descriptions, maps, hints and logs storage. However, I am totally unfamiliar with pocket pcs. What hardware and software combination would you use? I don’t mind spending, if technology is worthwhile, but from my research so far, older ppc (ebay) and some combination of gpsView gpssonar and html files exported from gsak should be sufficient.

Your advise please.

Edited by Luzak

I use a Dell Axim X30. I like the first one so much I purchased a second (Very reasonably priced I might add). For PPC cache info and logging I've used Gpxsonar (along with GSAK on my PC) for years, like it, and have never had reason to try anything else. Gpxsonar is no longer supported (I think) but the application is still available (google it). As for maps, I use an older version of pocket Streets and Trips (2005) to supplement my GPS street maps and if topo and/or aerials are in your future I would suggest checking out Backcountry Navigator.

I have an asus pocket pc/gpsr. There are a number of caching programs out there, some free and some giving you a trial before you buy. I have used geoscout - it will download and cache maps (satellite or street) which is a nice feature Gpx sonar is worth looking at. A lot of people use cachemate. And don't forget to load the Wherigo program - it has worked flawlessly on my unit

Edited by Erickson

I use a Dell Axim X30. I like the first one so much I purchased a second (Very reasonably priced I might add). For PPC cache info and logging I've used Gpxsonar (along with GSAK on my PC) for years, like it, and have never had reason to try anything else. Gpxsonar is no longer supported (I think) but the application is still available (google it). As for maps, I use an older version of pocket Streets and Trips (2005) to supplement my GPS street maps and if topo and/or aerials are in your future I would suggest checking out Backcountry Navigator.

Thanks Indotguy for pointing me in the right direction. Backcountry Navigator looks quite good. How is the battery life on the Axim? My GPS would have to be connected through the USB cable, I assume sync cable can be used for that?

Erickson, I will check the programs you listed, thanks.

On average I estimate my cache expeditions last around six hours and I have never had a battery issue. However, that is using it off and on to check cache info, log caches, check maps, etc. I have no experience directly connecting a GPS to the device. I believe that may require a special cable compatible with your GPS and the Dell.

Edited by Indotguy

If the PDA is bluetooth capable, I would recommend a BT GPS puck. This way you're not risking damaging the PDA connector with another dangly device.

I did this with my IPaq loaded with MS Pocket Streets and Trips. Although not for any serious caching it was great for getting me out of confusing neighborhoods before I had gained a Navigon for my driving needs.

Yes Totemlake, I agree bluetooth is optimal. And so it happened I snatched nice PDA bundled with BT GPS from ebay yesterday. Nice! I am going to try BT GPS + PDA in the car and GT-31 GPS in the field as my initial setup.

I had a look at Geoscout documentation. This seems to be one amazing program. It looks like it might be possible to entirely eliminate need for a PC in geocaching flow. It even exports Ozi POI that I could use with my GT-31. I’ll only need to figure out how to hookup the two together. Ericson, since you had some experience with Geoscout, could you chime in on my expectations?