Feature request: user notes per cache

JGeo

I have a request, and I hope it is shared with others.

• Add a user note to every cache. Every user can log every cache, or post a note. This is similar, although this would be a note type that only a user himself can read.
  • Include this note on top of the other logs, and on the printer-friendly page, so that you have it at hand when going for the actual hunt.
  • Include the note in the GPS files (pocket queries as well), so when downloading to ones GPS device, the note is included for paperless geocaching.

Seems like the database infrastructure is present already, but it needs some effort still, I presume.

The discussion about solved mysteries could be included in this one: let a user change the coordinate at which he sees a cache. If he solves the mystery, it is updated on all *his* maps and GPX files. He should still be able to see the original coordinates somehow, and they should also be present in GPX files, for archives like GSAK. It is his own responsibility to have the correct updated coordinates.

I know this functionality is included in GSAK already, but I like to idea to store my notes somewhere online, and also to have them by a simple GC-to-GPX-to-GPS download in my GPS.

Indeed, a similar request as mine. I looked for something similar, but apparently missed yours. Only, I didn't connect it to Bookmark lists (I would like it for any cache), and I suggested some display features (shown on top of other logs, shown on printer friendly pages, included as a separate field in gpx files).

Regarding the private-user-comments as a type of special log allows it to be implemented using the existing log database, reducing the implementation effort for GC.com. But for full functionality, the comments should be treated different from other types of logs, and displayed differently, on other places, and in gpx files.

Private-user-comments could be deleted once a cache is found, although many will object. And they could include additional child waypoints, like final coordinates for solved mysteries, but that would require more effort, I think, and will lead to an endless discussion about what more features could be added.

But let's continue the discussion until a good proposal is compiled, and then suggest it to GC.com.

I have a request, and I hope it is shared with others.
  • Add a user note to every cache. Every user can log every cache, or post a note. This is similar, although this would be a note type that only a user himself can read.
  • Include this note on top of the other logs, and on the printer-friendly page, so that you have it at hand when going for the actual hunt.
  • Include the note in the GPS files (pocket queries as well), so when downloading to ones GPS device, the note is included for paperless geocaching.

Seems like the database infrastructure is present already, but it needs some effort still, I presume.

The discussion about solved mysteries could be included in this one: let a user change the coordinate at which he sees a cache. If he solves the mystery, it is updated on all *his* maps and GPX files. He should still be able to see the original coordinates somehow, and they should also be present in GPX files, for archives like GSAK. It is his own responsibility to have the correct updated coordinates.

I know this functionality is included in GSAK already, but I like to idea to store my notes somewhere online, and also to have them by a simple GC-to-GPX-to-GPS download in my GPS.

this is a great idea! I hope this will be implemented!

I don't know whether it is since the latest site upgrade, but now you can add comments to bookmark lists, and hence create a private bookmark list with solved mysteries and their solutions. Great!

Now, I have to find a way to sync my GSAK notes and corrected coordinates with my GC.com bookmarks.

I don't know whether it is since the latest site upgrade, but now you can add comments to bookmark lists, and hence create a private bookmark list with solved mysteries and their solutions. Great!

Now, I have to find a way to sync my GSAK notes and corrected coordinates with my GC.com bookmarks.

The bookmark list has always had the possibility to write notes about each entry, but there is no way to 'synch' them with any program. This has been the main reason most people wanting this feature don't like the bookmark idea. If you are offline, so are your notes.

As a GSAK user, you already have what you wish for at your fingertips...user notes can be exported as the most recent log to your portable device.