Could it be too much coffee

JohnnyVegas

I found a cache in which the coordinates were of by 60 feet. So I mentioned this in my log with better coordinates. I was the third person to make this comment, but I was the only that cache owner got pissed off at. This what they wrote.

JohnnyVegas,

Leave me alone. Leave my family alone. I don't know why you feel the need to continue harassing us. I thought that this would be a great sport for me and my disabled children but you refuse to leave me alone. You win, I will stay far away from your sport. After the distasteful correspondence that you have sent me why else would you seek out my last cache? Leave a mother and her children alone. This cache will be permanently archived and I will be contacting Groundspeak for a refund of our premium fees.

If you try to contact me again via private email I will report you to your Internet provider, Groundspeak and IC3. Just stay away.

I am not including the cache GC number, the reviewer does not want people using the cache page for a forum, so please do not post anything on the page.

I found a cache in which the coordinates were of by 60 feet. So I mentioned this in my log with better coordinates. I was the third person to make this comment, but I was the only that cache owner got pissed off at. This what they wrote.

JohnnyVegas,

Leave me alone. Leave my family alone. I don't know why you feel the need to continue harassing us. I thought that this would be a great sport for me and my disabled children but you refuse to leave me alone. You win, I will stay far away from your sport. After the distasteful correspondence that you have sent me why else would you seek out my last cache? Leave a mother and her children alone. This cache will be permanently archived and I will be contacting Groundspeak for a refund of our premium fees.

If you try to contact me again via private email I will report you to your Internet provider, Groundspeak and IC3. Just stay away.

I am not including the cache GC number, the reviewer does not want people using the cache page for a forum, so please do not post anything on the page.

Might be fair to see your correspondence. Doesn't sound like this reply was the result of a friendly and innocuous reminder that GZ was off by a bit and you're willing to help in any way you can.

JohnnyVegas,

Maybe calling out a oversensitive cacher in a public forum, who obviously wants less attention from you, direct or indirectly, won't exactly help things either.

Are you looking for some sort of vindication here?

Edited by doingitoldschool

JohnnyVegas,

Might be fair to see your correspondence. Doesn't sound like this reply was the result of a friendly and innocuous reminder that GZ was off by a bit and you're willing to help in any way you can.

I tend to agree with DW, Show the ENTIRE correspondence and then maybe you will get a response. Not really sure what you are looking for here. Are you looking for support for your hurt feelings? Or are you looking for someone on here to say "bad, CO, bad"? Do you have a question or are you just venting? Sounds like you just want sympathy for what you did without us knowing the full text of the conversation leaving nothing out.

Edited by Harwell5

First I never got the burried cache archived, a local reviewer found on his own. BTW, if people do not want there caches archive maybe they should read the guidlines before they hide a cache.

Second, there was no coorospdance.

Third, I do not have a problem with her children.

Keep in mind, that I was the third person to report the coordinates were off. BUt the cache owner made no atempt to correct them. I did not even know it was her cache until after I got home to log. I cache paperless and I do not have an Ipod our any other means to access cache info. I just have coordintes.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

So, did you have anything to do with getting their burried cache archived, or do we have to wait until post #53 to find out?

No. but know one cares that I was accussed of that. But then again there are cachers that do not care about guidlines. I do not even do that much caching anymore, I just do not have a lot of time. But I keep finding illegal caches, maybe I should go back and post a buch of SBA's. I will get blamed when they do get arcived. It seem like every time I got out I find at least one cache that violated the guidelines.

THere is anohter going now about some one that wants to burry a 5 gallon bucket.

JohnnyVegas I'm not sure why you're surprised by the cache owner's reaction. There's a nasty thread on these forums from October (that you participated in) where it was mentioned that you had been accused of reporting that CO's only other cache for a guideline violation and that cache was later archived. You even posted a photo of their other cache on the forums.

Btw, I have no first-hand knowledge of that incident, I'm pointing out something that might shed some light on the situation.

Edited by sdarken

Generally, when I see words like "continue harassing", for some reason, I tend to feel that there was more than one incident. I guess I'm just funny that way.

Of course, as someone else pointed out, she could possibly be lumping the entire geocaching community together, but that makes another of her statements, " I will report you to your Internet provider, Groundspeak and IC3. Just stay away." seem rather odd. Which of the aggregate geocachers is she going to report... all of them?

What would Paul Harvey have to say about this?

JohnnyVegas I'm not sure why you're surprised by the cache owner's reaction. There's a nasty thread on these forums from October (that you participated in) where it was mentioned that you had been accused of reporting that CO's only other cache for a guideline violation and that cache was later archived. You even posted a photo of their other cache on the forums.

Btw, I have no first-hand knowledge of that incident, I'm pointing out something that might shed some light on the situation.

A photo but information regarding the cache GC number, it was just an example of an illegal cache. I have posted photos of other ones in the past. I will do so again in the future. The reviewer that found that cache on his own.

exuse the typos. I am at aschool using a non ergonomic key board.

I always wonder about the motive of posting something like this in the forums. The OP seems to wanting us to feel sorry from him because through no fault of his own the CO lashed out against him. But yet the message posted seems to hint of other communications that was not revealed. I'm not really sure what the OP expects of the community as a whole since that was not stated. Personally myself if I received an email like that after making comment in my log about the co-ordinates, especially if I had no previous contact with the CO, I would push the GAS button and move on. Post it in the forums? Not a chance, I'm not giving you piranas a meal. :)

Geocaching relies on the community to maintain certain standards. There's no place in this game for the sort of person who behaves this way when their caches are criticized for legitimate reasons. It is the cache owner's responsibility to understand and follow the guidelines. It is in the best interests of the game and the people who play it to report problem caches. The survival of the game depends on it.

I'm not giving you piranas a meal. :D

But piranas gotta eat too! :)

Seriously though...

Johhny, what are you trying to accomplish here?

A ) Just venting.

B ) Search for support from the community

C ) Other

If you pick "A", that's kewl. Vent away. We all need that from time to time.

If you pick "B", you should tell us the rest of the story.

If you pick "C", fill us in.

Geocaching relies on the community to maintain certain standards. There's no place in this game for the sort of person who behaves this way when their caches are criticized for legitimate reasons. It is the cache owner's responsibility to understand and follow the guidelines. It is in the best interests of the game and the people who play it to report problem caches. The survival of the game depends on it.

The only issue I have with what you said is it requires a leap of faith that the CO is the one solely at fault. Unfortunately most (all?) times in the past when something like this is posted when we get to page 4 we find the OP has a fair share or major burden of the fault. I feel fairly confident what was posted in post #1 is not the full story.

So, did you have anything to do with getting their buried cache archived, or do we have to wait until post #53 to find out?

No. but know one cares that I was accused of that. But then again there are cachers that do not care about guidelines. I do not even do that much caching anymore, I just do not have a lot of time. But I keep finding illegal caches, maybe I should go back and post a bunch of SBA's. I will get blamed when they do get archived. It seem like every time I got out I find at least one cache that violated the guidelines.

There is another going now about some one that wants to bury a 5 gallon bucket.

See here's the thing, I brought that up not from reading the old thread but by jumping to a conclusion based on the language of the OC's note and the "continue harassing" verbiage. I added that to your original post in this thread and it's lack of details and made a few guesses.

Sounds to me like they are blaming you for the archival of the buried cache- right or wrong.

I think their "taking my ball and going home" attitude is a little bit unnecessary, but I'm still kind of puzzled as to your intent in posting about the issue with this other cache here. You probably would have been better off just ignoring any future caches they place (although if they are indeed packing up their GPS and going home that doesn't seem like it's a problem.)

The only issue I have with what you said is it requires a leap of faith that the CO is the one solely at fault. Unfortunately most (all?) times in the past when something like this is posted when we get to page 4 we find the OP has a fair share or major burden of the fault. I feel fairly confident what was posted in post #1 is not the full story.

It doesn't matter. If a cache doesn't meet the guidelines, that's the cache owner's fault. If a cache is ADMITTEDLY 60 feet away from the posted coordinates, that's the cache owner's fault. It is the responsibility of every cacher to make note of problems like this in order to maintain the integrity of the game.

Edited by narcissa
I'm not giving you piranas a meal. :D

But piranas gotta eat too! :)

Seriously though...

Johhny, what are you trying to accomplish here?

A ) Just venting.

B ) Search for support from the community

C ) Other

If you pick "A", that's kewl. Vent away. We all need that from time to time.

If you pick "B", you should tell us the rest of the story.

If you pick "C", fill us in.

I would probably say A...

And to the OP...I would bet their response was how you stated in your "Found It" log that the cache was off and than followed up with a Need Maint." log...they probably took that as the harasement part...

I don't know if you could say it was because they were relatively new yet or not, but (only guessing) they may have seen the two email (notifications) from you and assumed you were pushing them...but, than again, I wouldn't take it personal if something similar happens on a cache of mine (at it has)...

To my reference...cacher mentioned I needed to replace the logbook in their "Found It" log and than did a "Needs Maint."...I wasn't bothered by it...

JohnnyVegas,

I've got an idea. Why don't you just honor their request and leave them the heck alone.

JohnnyVegas,

I've got an idea. Why don't you just honor their request and leave them the heck alone.

I just agreed with sbell111 - is there an icon for that?!?!

JohnnyVegas,

I just agreed with sbell111 - is there an icon for that?!?!

Things happen, every once in a great while, that defy any understanding.

By the way Sbell, how is that baby?

I must say that JohnnyVegas' logs on the cache in question are very appropriate, in my opinion, to a cache that has been reported by several finders as being 60 feet off. I would have done the same thing.

Yes, but would you use "distasteful correspondence"?

This is what I'd like to know. I've posted logs and sent messages informing COs regarding position and/or condition of their caches, but I keep a very diplomatic tone when doing so. Never had anyone write back and accuse me of harassment.

I must say that JohnnyVegas' logs on the cache in question are very appropriate, in my opinion, to a cache that has been reported by several finders as being 60 feet off. I would have done the same thing.

I agree - unless there are addtional comments not easily found or being discussed - the comments on the logs are quite low key.

The OP seems to be using an old tactic of bringing a contentious issue to a forum "for discussion", telling one side of the story, probably knowing full well that the other party in the dispute may not even tell their side of the story. In similar cases, when we get to page 4 and hear the whole story, it's often after the other party in the dispute has caught wind of the discussion, then they post in the thread that we find out what the dispute is really about.

Yes, but would you use "distasteful correspondence"?

This is what I'd like to know. I've posted logs and sent messages informing COs regarding position and/or condition of their caches, but I keep a very diplomatic tone when doing so. Never had anyone write back and accuse me of harassment.

Based on the little bit of publically available information at our disposal, there was no "distasteful correspondence". I would appear that, rightly or wrongly, JohnnyVegas was at least implicated in the "buried cache" incident, but even if he did have something to do with that, this sounds like a case of a cache owner with very little regard for the rules of hiding a cache. Two hides... one buried, and one 60 feet off.

It wasn't hard to find JV's log.

I found it, but the coordinates are 60 feet off. Try N38 40.088 W121 18.205

I see I am not the first to notice this problem. THe cache owner should correct them. If not for the home owner pointing out the cache I might still be there.

IMO a tad bit on the rude side, but certainly not worth the reaction he got.

But wait there's more! A little more digging reveals this is the same cache owner that had the buried cache from the previous thread. Now the reaction makes sense.

I don't see any distasteful comments. And I'll take Johnny Vegas on his word that there was no correspondence other than the logs.

It appears, from what we've been told here,* that the CO may not have realized that every log is forwarded as an email. It seems she got two logs sent to her, and assumed that Johnny Vegas was sending these to her personal email.

Personally, if I had found the cache 60' from the posted coordinates, and then read the whole cache page and the previous logs, I probably would have posted a NA log so a reviewer could look it over. The owner was aware from the beginning that the coordinates were off, AND it appears that they may have been deliberately off in order to keep the reviewer from noticing that the cache is too close to a school. From the cache page: "Thank you to all that have contacted us with the accurate coordinates. The system is not allowing us to change them due to the appearance that it is on school grounds via satellite. Hopefully it will not be a problem for anybody to find this little guy."

So we have here a cache owner who has been an active cacher only since May, has 43 finds, and two hides. Both hides appear to have been placed in violation of the guidelines, one buried, one too close to a school. Nope, Johnny Vegas isn't the bad guy here.

I hope that some cachers who are local to the CO will reach out, take him/her by the hand, and help bring these caches into compliance. I can see how caching could be a very good thing for autistic children to be involved in, and hope the twins won't miss out because of Mom's (Dad's?) lack of understanding of the guidelines.

* I realize we may not have heard the full story.

Edited by GeoGeeBee

Well, not knowing the whole situation, but having met JV a few times...My first thought was that maybe the CO sent the note to the wrong person, and perhaps they were being harrassed by some other player, of maybe they thought there was one person writing multiple logs??

Another possibility..JV's getting delusional in his old age?? Better keep him away from those Fireworks from now on.

It appears, from what we've been told here,* that the CO may not have realized that every log is forwarded as an email. It seems she got two logs sent to her, and assumed that Johnny Vegas was sending these to her personal email.

Haha, and you can't even send them a nice note now to try to explain...sounds like my old boss..."I've heard the other side, and that's all I need to know".

Haha, and you can't even send them a nice note now to try to explain...sounds like my old boss..."I've heard the other side, and that's all I need to know".

Shoot first, ask questions later?

Why, that's a tried and true tactic, just ask anyone .. assuming there's a séance or ouija board available. :)

Something doesn't seem right.

For some reason the name "JohnnyVegas" was on my mental flag list. And now there is drama (again).

And reading the "and I'll do it again" comment up above...

Somehow I don't think we have both sides of the story and would need them to figure it all out.

It almost wreaks of an attempt at self-vindication.

Something doesn't seem right.

For some reason the name "JohnnyVegas" was on my mental flag list. And now there is drama (again).

And reading the "and I'll do it again" comment up above...

Somehow I don't think we have both sides of the story and would need them to figure it all out.

It almost wreaks of an attempt at self-vindication.

That or JV drinks too much coffee, as the thread title suggests someone may/might imbibe too much of the stuff. I know I get edgy and irritable when I have the S**rb**ks stuff, which is too darn strong.

I don't see anything being resolved here, just an airing of more laundry.

I think if a person is of the sort who is going around reporting caches which are in violation of one, or more, guidlines they may be in the right, but not necessarily exercising the best diplomacy. It's appealing to the technical side of the guidlines, rather than the spirit of it.

When I see a cache I think is in violation I'll be diplomatic with the cacher, suggesting ways to enter compliance. If that doesn't do the trick then I, too, would be willing to report the caching violation. Had I done anything like that, however, I don't think you'd see me venting on it in a public forum, though I may reference such an act tangentially. Nobody likes to see their name dragged through the mud and its unseemly to do so.

The OP's venting seems like normal behaviour for someone who is accused of something that they did not do, but is unable to question the person why.

Perhaps he should not vent? Or perhaps some of us should just step away from the buttocks of the website... :)

I agree. whan one is falsely accused, and it refused the opportinlty to even respond, all that is left is to vent, or bottle it up.

This thread is funny. I can't believe it is being taken so serious.

JohnnyVegas - That is such a cool name. I love it. How can anyone name Johnny Vegas do anything wrong?

Anyway, it looks like ole' Johnny found himself a nut case. Keep the doors locked.