New Garmin Oregon v3.50 update - Problems - Not Recommended

eaparks

On some Oregon units (400s) at present their is a definite problem with non-beta, Webupdater v3.50. The custom settings are lost and the biggest problem is the Magenta "Go" to line will no longer appear on your GPS to navigate by.

Don't Recommend Updating to v3.50. This is a major problem not being able to have Magenta line to navigate by when doing a "Go" to whether it be a geocache or waypoint.

Additional information is in thread: New Garmin Oregon (Webupdater) softare http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry4190154

Edited by eaparks

On some Oregon units (400s) at present their is a definite problem with non-beta, Webupdater v3.50. The custom settings are lost and the biggest problem is the Magenta "Go" to line will no longer appear on your GPS to navigate by.

Don't Recommend Updating to v3.50. This is a major problem not being able to have Magenta line to navigate by when doing a "Go" to whether it be a geocache or waypoint.

Additional information is in thread: New Garmin Oregon (Webupdater) softare http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry4190154

I know your speaking about the 400's but my 200 had no problem at all. Seems to work even better now in the Automotive mode actually (looks "crisper"). Might check your settings if your having problems maybe???

No magneta line on my 550 or on my Dakota 20 with the new update. I hope they fix this soon

No Magenta line on my Oregon 300 either.

Also, the unit crashes on the following cache description pages (just a few as an example):

GC1WBBP

GC1GD56

GC20KEK

Finally, the unit also crashes while trying to access the diagnostics from the sat screen (Keeping the top left corner pressed for 5 seconds while on the sat screen).

The strangest part of all this is that the behavior is not consistent among different units. I guess this will be a really nasty set of bugs for Garmin to solve...

No magneta line on my 550 or on my Dakota 20 with the new update. I hope they fix this soon

No Magenta line on my Oregon 300 either.

Also, the unit crashes on the following cache description pages (just a few as an example):

GC1WBBP

GC1GD56

GC20KEK

Finally, the unit also crashes while trying to access the diagnostics from the sat screen (Keeping the top left corner pressed for 5 seconds while on the sat screen).

The strangest part of all this is that the behavior is not consistent among different units. I guess this will be a really nasty set of bugs for Garmin to solve...

I only tried GC1WBBP but it does not crash on my OR 300.

I've updated my 400, 550 and Dakota without any issues.

For those of you seeing it:

- Does it affect only the off-road goto line or do you fail to get a goto line when auto-routing as well?

- Does map selection make any difference?

- When you go to a destination is the unit just not displaying the goto line or is not navigating to the destination? Do fields like dist-to-next, time-to-next, bearing make sense?

- Does the compass work when navigating to a destination?

I've updated my 400, 550 and Dakota without any issues.

For those of you seeing it:

- Does it affect only the off-road goto line or do you fail to get a goto line when auto-routing as well?

- Does map selection make any difference?

- When you go to a destination is the unit just not displaying the goto line or is not navigating to the destination? Do fields like dist-to-next, time-to-next, bearing make sense?

- Does the compass work when navigating to a destination?

Ok, I think I know how to solve the missing magenta line problem.

After playing around with the profiles I noticed that in the recreational profile the line was drawn correctly. My suggestion is to do this:

1. Backup your profiles folder

2. Choose every profile and mark which ones exhibit the missing magenta line problem

3. Connect the unit via USB

4. Delete all the name.gpf files in the profiles folder for every profile that showed trouble in 2.

5. Disconnect and turn the unit on

6. Choose a valid profile (hopefully you will have one where the magenta line appears. If not I can send you one for the Oregon x00 series).

7. Go to setup profiles and duplicate the profile as many times as needed and change their names to replace the deleted ones.

8. All you have to do now is to configure each and every bit of your new profiles to suit the specific needs.

Of course, an old backup of your Garmin unit might be a more straight forward way :P

To answer the questions above:

- It affects both on-road and off-road navigation

- Independent of maps chosen and type of display (north, automotive, track up)

- routes correctly but no line, only white arrows in auto mode

- Compass works ok.

There is only one place where I could still see the magenta line: Active route and then choose the first maneuver. You will be taken to a kind of roadbook representation where the line is visible.

286.gif

By the way, to show you how Garmin really made a mess with this upgrades, take a look at my compass screen at some stage (Oregon 300, don't forget):

225.gif

253.gif

After a restart it finally ended up correctly, like this.

348.gif

Later, after trying to reinstall the software using Updater and FW 2.50, I got the same old thin arrow we are used to in the x00 series.

But this proves one thing: Other arrow types are available, its just Garmin being nasty on us...

The problem can be resolved by disabling transparent maps on your unit. You can reenable the maps and the goto line will still appear but the next time you restart you'll have to disable/reenable again. Every time you boot a profile with enabled transparent maps the problem will start again.

-Scott

The problem can be resolved by disabling transparent maps on your unit. You can reenable the maps and the goto line will still appear but the next time you restart you'll have to disable/reenable again. Every time you boot a profile with enabled transparent maps the problem will start again.

I tried your method on my 400t booting up with only CN NT 2010 enabled and no goto line. Tried the same thing with only Topo enabled and still no goto line. The only way I seem to be able to make the goto line appear is by enabling Blue Charts and then disabling it.

I sent an email to Garmin concerning the issues with the 3.50 release. They told me they did not know of any issue with the Magenta line. I responded and suggested they should occasionally read the forums on Groundspeak. Apparently the guy that sent me the email did not have a clue about what was going on.

I tried your method on my 400t booting up with only CN NT 2010 enabled and no goto line. Tried the same thing with only Topo enabled and still no goto line. The only way I seem to be able to make the goto line appear is by enabling Blue Charts and then disabling it.

Honestly I haven't tried off road nav with CN enabled -- maybe that's an issue (or lack of a basemap could be an issue as well).

I disabled my NW Traks Map and my Magenta line appeared. I then went back and enabled the maps and the line was still there. When I turn off the unit and power it back on, the line is no longer there. At least there is a workaround for the issue until they get it fixed. Overall, the system seemed more responsive with this update. I still have my compass arrow pointing south instead of north.

I don't think it was mentioned before but I've noticed another minor hitch with 3.50. Your streams are ALWAYS labeled (if it has a proper name) on your map regardless of your settings for text in the Map Setup menu. Towns are the same way. ALWAYS labeled. This creates quite a clutter if your in an area with many of these features.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of 3.42 to put back on my unit. 3.50 $ucks!

Here http://www.gawisp.com/perry/oregon/ I think Scott has it on the Oregon wiki also, but not positive. I went back to 3.42b and all is well again.

Edit: Garmin still has v3.42b available if you don't use WebUpdater, https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloads...5&pID=14903

I downgraded to 3.4 using the Garmin Wiki GCD file. When I re-started the unit was unresponsive UNTIL I removed my microSDHC card. The it worked fine.

No problems with 3.50 on my Oregon 300.

Works fine on my 300.

Maingray and Tequila,

So both of you have had transparent maps installed over routable maps and have been able to follow the magenta routing line under the transparent maps? With 3.5 my OR300 showed the magenta Goto line as long as nothing transparent was on the screen. As soon as a transparent topo panned onto the screen, the Goto line from CNNANT disappeared.

AFAIK, changelog for 3.50 tells exactly the same story as 3.40 and 3.42 together. So,

(1) why upgrading at all, if you've already installed 3.42beta ?

(2) Seems, Garmin added some extra stuff (at least: some extra bugs :( ) without announcing. What could it be?

Cheers,

Haferle

3.50 seems to work fine on my Oregon 400t (I get the magenta line when navigating, etc.), but that said, I don't have any custom maps installed.

Lets try to keep this thread focused on bugs and fixes. Not arachnids. :( My magenta line worked fine in 3.5 when no transparent maps were on the display, but it was real disappointing as soon as the first transparent topo line appeared.

I'm gonna add my voice to the complaints about 3.50 !

I was happy with 3.42 - the fixed a long standing grip of mine : track manager, select track, view elevation, the total ascent field was the total ascent of the selected track. In 3.50 it shows what appears to be some random figure which is the same across any track selected !!!!!!!

And today, the discoverer map I had was going nuts - coming and going, appearing with a green tinge all over it (it was the only map enabled) !! A cominbation of zooming in and out and/or switching it off (oregon 300), would restore the discoverer, for a short while. Never ever had this before 3.50 !

Garmins testing of new releases SUCK ! Their beta's are normally like alpha's and their final releases are beta's with more bugs !!!!!!! GRRRRRR...

And the 'email support' part of the site just gives a 'page not found' error when you press the submit button. AARRGGHH !!! Have mailed the beta mail address in the hope that someone can help !

Edited by Rifty

The same happens with my 300. I asked a friend to try to access the diag screen on his 400t and it crashed, too.

:( I have a 300. Upgraded it today before going caching. Upgrade went fine appeared to be working fine. Had several crashes, first it would say it lost sat lock, the sat page showed no bars at all. Power cycle and I would be back to 15 foot accuracy. Then I had several time where I would select a cache and I'd get a white screen and it wold be locked up. I would have to remove the batteries to get out of it. I managed to find 12 caches with numerous power cycles and battery removals. Definatly don't recommend this update. I just reinstalled 3.42 beta. I had found over 50 caches with the beta and no issues.

ONE THING: ON a multicache. using the new dashboard - "geocache-ACTIVE" there is a wierd thing. WHen I select to go to a Waypoint, for a stage of a waypoint...the dashboard does not change to track with the waypoint. It stickes with the Geocache, or the stage one. So the map ill have the magenta line tracking to the waypoint...but the distance to cache and the compass are goofy...as they are looking to stage one...always. I guess it makes sense ... but it is frustrating for multi's...FYI, I guess.

ONE THING: ON a multicache. using the new dashboard - "geocache-ACTIVE" there is a wierd thing. WHen I select to go to a Waypoint, for a stage of a waypoint...the dashboard does not change to track with the waypoint. It stickes with the Geocache, or the stage one. So the map ill have the magenta line tracking to the waypoint...but the distance to cache and the compass are goofy...as they are looking to stage one...always. I guess it makes sense ... but it is frustrating for multi's...FYI, I guess.

But on the compass screen the arrow points to the GO TO that you just entered so you can follow the arrow to GZ except that the arrow does not always point in the exact correct direction but usually in the general direction of GZ so I follow the decreasing number

But on the compass screen the arrow points to the GO TO that you just entered so you can follow the arrow to GZ except that the arrow does not always point in the exact correct direction but usually in the general direction of GZ so I follow the decreasing number

This is confusing! I created a new 'Waypoint' profile to use when tracking to a waypoint, I don't use the dashboard for this profile, so the pink line goes to the waypoint and the nearest cache is not displayed.