Jan. 28 updates for Dakota, Oregon

allory

Dakota (WebUpdater) software version 2.60

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4527

Oregon (WebUpdater) software version 3.60

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4051

Oregon 550 (WebUpdater) software version 3.10

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523

* Increased the map drawing range to allow maps to draw farther south.

* Corrected issue with route line sometimes not drawing.

* Corrected issues with marine POI.

* Corrected issues with GB Discoverer maps.

* Corrected issue with project waypoint bearing sometimes not showing the input value.

* Corrected issues with possible corrupted profile showing on the Profile Change page. (Oregon 550 only)

Installed and all looks sexy.

But do you have any transparent maps installed, and does the magenta "Goto" line go under them?

Yay! Success! I also added the new Time Zone map.

When I installed 3.5 on my Oregon 300, I lost my magenta line because of my transparent maps. Reverted to 3.42beta

This new 3.6 works perfectly with my transparent maps!!! :):D

Edited by Triple Crown

Garmins claim to have fixed their Discoverer maps is false. Applied the 3.10 update to my 550 last night. On my drive into work this morning the maps were corrupted within 500 meters of my house. I've got DEM shading positively turned off. All maps except the Garmin Discoverer are DISABLED. But even with this setup, at anything other than walking pace the Raster maps break up and the vector mapping shows through from below.

Really starting to get quite miffed with Garmin's inability to fix this problem ;) Or maybe the GPSr unit itself is incapable of handling this kind of stuff? ;)

Jon.

Garmins claim to have fixed their Discoverer maps is false. Applied the 3.10 update to my 550 last night. On my drive into work this morning the maps were corrupted within 500 meters of my house. I've got DEM shading positively turned off. All maps except the Garmin Discoverer are DISABLED. But even with this setup, at anything other than walking pace the Raster maps break up and the vector mapping shows through from below.

Really starting to get quite miffed with Garmin's inability to fix this problem ;) Or maybe the GPSr unit itself is incapable of handling this kind of stuff? ;)

Jon.

Perhaps when they say:

They don't mean ALL issues but just a FEW...

I too have a problem although a different one. On some cache descriptions the unit hangs up and I have to remove the batteries. This appeared in 3.42b and what worries me most is that it doesn't happen in all units, so it will be harder to have this one sorted out.

I must say that Garmin has done a good job in putting new features in this devices. It is just too bad that that the firmware is still so buggy. I wished we all had a channel where we could discuss the issues with the developer's team...

Perhaps when they say:

They don't mean ALL issues but just a FEW...

Sorry, I should have said, I'd already logged this fault directly with Garmin support and they advised it was a known problem that would be fixed in the next firmware release. So I was expecting this release to fix the problem.

I do need to check the email I got from them to confirm they said "NEXT" rather than "A FUTURE". I'm at work currently and don't have my email trail to check.

Some piccies of the problem....

My settings...

9e2f5cbf-6e27-4123-9c2a-c2dc33e66538.jpg12e1268f-db12-4553-9d4d-bc9e07f1a38d.jpg

See how the maps appear & disapear within seconds

c4a249e9-2188-46d6-a761-2cead678b706.jpg52466479-0d95-43b5-b73a-add4b29caa3b.jpg

Jon.

Edited by Dakar4x4

Dakota (WebUpdater) software version 2.60

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4527

Oregon 550 (WebUpdater) software version 3.10

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523

* Increased the map drawing range to allow maps to draw farther south.

* Corrected issue with route line sometimes not drawing.

* Corrected issues with marine POI.

* Corrected issue with project waypoint bearing sometimes not showing the input value.

* Corrected issues with possible corrupted profile showing on the Profile Change page. (Oregon 550 only)

Updated with no problems on my Oregon 300. Love the new dashboards.

OldA'sFan

Are you sure it's not just your unit as I've been using the version prior to this one and it's been absolutely spot on with my 550t and UK North and Midlands Discoverer maps?

Are you sure it's not just your unit as I've been using the version prior to this one and it's been absolutely spot on with my 550t and UK North and Midlands Discoverer maps?

Garmin have already acknwledged it's a known fault when I contacted them and the problem also occurs on my friends 550 Oregon. So pretty sure it's not just me. At walking pace the unit works fine. It only occurs when travelling at speed in the car... And when I say speed I don't mean 100 mph, i've seen it happen at just 15 mph. Maybe I'll try the UK North maps, so far I've only been running UK South & Wales.

I should also say I have the same problem on my Colorado when using these maps to.

J

Hmm. We've got the US version of the 550t but am not convinced that makes any difference as surely the hardware is the same - it's just the pre-loaded topo maps that are different.

I've not noticed the problem with our (US version) 400t either but we've not used that for a couple of weeks as Isaac has been at home revising and not out caching with me.

Garmin have already acknwledged it's a known fault when I contacted them and the problem also occurs on my friends 550 Oregon.

Hmm. We've got the US version of the 550t but am not convinced that makes any difference as surely the hardware is the same - it's just the pre-loaded topo maps that are different.

I've not noticed the problem with our (US version) 400t either but we've not used that for a couple of weeks as Isaac has been at home revising and not out caching with me.

Garmin have already acknwledged it's a known fault when I contacted them and the problem also occurs on my friends 550 Oregon.

Do you use it in OS map mode in the vehicle? It's only at speed I get the problem. Wandering around footpaths caching, it has been perfectly well behaved.

Jon.

That's a good point as we tend to use TomTom when driving and have the Oregon down by the side of me. I've not looked at it much as we are going along so cannot really comment much but it seems ok on the few occasions when I've been stopped at traffic lights and taken a quick look to see where we are (and if there are any caches close by :ph34r:).

I'll see if I can keep more of an eye on it the next time I'm out with it driving.

Do you use it in OS map mode in the vehicle? It's only at speed I get the problem. Wandering around footpaths caching, it has been perfectly well behaved.

I'm getting out of memory errors with 3.6 when calculating long (1500 mile) routes that I could successfully calculate with 3.4.

Those errors disappeared when I switched routing options from "Pedestrian" to "Auto/Motorcycle"

Then does this pretty well say that there are not any known issues with v3.60?

Except for the one person here that said they were not able to view saved tracks I haven't seen any other issues with v3.60. The viewing of saved tracks appears that it may have been user error since they never responded to questions and I haven't seen where anyone else reported that problem.

The biggest complaint I hear about the Oregon 3.1/3.6 software is that custom maps are more washed out in the newer releases. Details here:

I believe that "washed-out" has a negative connotation which is unduly harsh. After looking at the comparison images, I like the "lighter-toned" images better. My main reason for preferring the "lighter-toned" images is that they appear easier to view, and anything that can make my Oregon 300 screen easier to see is a good thing!

Just my 2¢

I believe that "washed-out" has a negative connotation which is unduly harsh. After looking at the comparison images, I like the "lighter-toned" images better. My main reason for preferring the "lighter-toned" images is that they appear easier to view, and anything that can make my Oregon 300 screen easier to see is a good thing!

Just my 2¢

Are you basing that on the screen shots or the real screen? I actually think the lighter screen shots look better in most cases too but on the real Oregon screen I haven't seen a custom map yet that I like.

Just my 2¢

Are you basing that on the screen shots or the real screen? I actually think the lighter screen shots look better in most cases too but on the real Oregon screen I haven't seen a custom map yet that I like.

My judgement was based on the screen shots. Thanks for your additional comment.

Where can I get those *.gcd files I used to use for upgrading?

Thx,

Haferle

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions

I had severe issues with my upgrade on my Oregon 300, and reverted back. The auto routing gave me a dead screen after I went past a "suggested" road, and wouldn't choose a new path, like it should. Then after attempting to cache, using the compass, all was good as I got closer, but had to go past the cache to approach properly from the opposite direction, and after the compass got down to zero, wouldn't start climbing again in numbers... had to re-set the go to a cache...

So, for those that it works, wish I had your gps, LOL

Oh, the dashboards were nice, but I also had a problem with one of them, the map, I had selected to have zero info, and it still showed 2 info blocks, plus the name of the cache I was heading for. To me that wasted space that the map could have been using.

So will wait for another version to come out... or not... may just keep what I have, cuz it works :laughing:

Edited by hike4familyfun

Thx,

Haferle

I had severe issues with my upgrade, and reverted back. The auto routing gave me a dead screen after I went past a "suggested" road, and wouldn't choose a new path, like it should. Then after attempting to cache, using the compass, all was good as I got closer, but had to go past the cache to approach properly from the opposite direction, and after the compass got down to zero, wouldn't start climbing again in numbers... had to re-set the go to a cache...

Oh, the dashboards were nice, but I also had a problem with one of them, the map, I had selected to have zero info, and it still showed 2 info blocks, plus the name of the cache I was heading for. To me that wasted space that the map could have been using.

So will will wait for another version to come out... or not... may just keep what I have, cuz it works :laughing:

I specifically checked what you're describing yesterday when I was out with my freshly updated 550 and it always recalculated properly if I didn't take the suggested route, and if I walked through a cache location - it started displaying increasing numbers as I got farther away.

So, not sure what's going on with yours.

Thx,

Haferle

Suggest you use the Wikispaces GCD files to DOWNGRADE use Garmin's webupdater to upgrade. And if you downgrade, be sure to remove any removable memory before you do your first restart. (And avoid 3.5 like the plague.)

Edited by seldom_sn

Thx,

Haferle

I had severe issues with my upgrade on my Oregon 300, and reverted back. The auto routing gave me a dead screen after I went past a "suggested" road, and wouldn't choose a new path, like it should. Then after attempting to cache, using the compass, all was good as I got closer, but had to go past the cache to approach properly from the opposite direction, and after the compass got down to zero, wouldn't start climbing again in numbers... had to re-set the go to a cache...

So will wait for another version to come out... or not... may just keep what I have, cuz it works :ph34r:

Thx,

Haferle

So will wait for another version to come out... or not... may just keep what I have, cuz it works :ph34r:

Thx,

Haferle

The same thing happened to us yesterday after upgrading my Oregon 200- if we went a different way from the suggested, it just didn't give any values for 'distance to destination', and if we went past the cache, it also went blank. Also it seemed to be more inaccurate than it had been. I will try to downgrade, and hope that does the trick. I am new to all this, so getting a bit confused and frustrated, especially as it was working well before. (Or could this have happened as I have loaded a lot of new Pocket Queries onto it?)

The same thing happened to us yesterday after upgrading my Oregon 200- if we went a different way from the suggested, it just didn't give any values for 'distance to destination', and if we went past the cache, it also went blank. Also it seemed to be more inaccurate than it had been. I will try to downgrade, and hope that does the trick. I am new to all this, so getting a bit confused and frustrated, especially as it was working well before. (Or could this have happened as I have loaded a lot of new Pocket Queries onto it?)

No the PQ shouldn't have had any effect. Seems to me, that the higher the Oregon model number, the better the results as per others feedback. Interesting!

Use the link I provided and its easy to downgrade, just remember to remove your memory card if you are using one, prior to doing the downgrade. Just follow the directions for the GCD Base Upgrade (it also downgrades).

Edited by hike4familyfun

I have a 400t. My buddy does as well. We both are on 3.60. We cached Sat and Sunday..the accuracy seems to be pointing me 30 feet or so OFF. We did 17 caches, and in many many cases we were directed to be like 30 feet away from the cache. Accuracy was in the mid to low teens. It was a bugger all day. And the weather was C O L D but clear and sunny. We did noth woods and P/G and LPC's so it was the unit for sure. ANYONE ELSE HAVE ISSUES SINCE 3.6?

No-one else has reported accuracy changes with the new version, and that would be a huge issue if it was more than just you. I'd suggest user error and/or equipment malfunction is probably the problem.

well, there were two of us, both had seperate 400t's, both were having the same reaction. That is why I posted here. Hoping I am the only one, actually. Anyone else?

Well we definitely had an accuracy problem - I measured it against my old Geko - whereas previously they had been roughly the same, the Oregon was way out yesterday. I have now downgraded the Oregon, but will not be able to try it out again until the weekend (work gets in the way sometimes!). Thanks for the help hike4familyfun.

Edited by Yalcis

Well we definitely had an accuracy problem - I measured it against my old Geko - whereas previously they had been roughly the same, the Oregon was way out yesterday. I have now downgraded the Oregon, but will not be able to try it out again until the weekend (work gets in the way sometimes!). Thanks for the help hike4familyfun.

there's three that were off. ANYONE ELSE off with the 3.6 upgrade?

there's three that were off. ANYONE ELSE off with the 3.6 upgrade?

I have a 550 and I think it's off as well. We tried one cache last weekend and couldn't find it at all, and now I'm wondering if this could be why.

I walked around the back yard with a Nuvi and my Oregon and they sure weren't reporting the same location, though I had both in my same hand.

4340649403_f9f3e95e19.jpg

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide