Groundspeak Forums: Would you buy a garmin "white box" or NOH product? - Groundspeak Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would you buy a garmin "white box" or NOH product? Garmin refurb units

#1 User is offline   rob.marsh 

• Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:51 AM

Hi all,

I am looking at upgrading my GPS unit, as the one I am using, whilst it does the job is dated now.

I really like the look of the Garmin 60CSx, it gets great reviews and ticks all the boxes. I'm not too worried about maps, as I plan to continue using Open streetmap.

The thing is, brand new it is very expensive (its good kit!). I have seen some good prices for Garmin NOH versions Basically Garmin return/refurb jobs. What are peoples opinions on these? Are they a baragain or steer clear job?

Thanks in Advance!

Rob

PS thanks for eveyone's help and patience so far, I have asked a fair few noob Q's!

This post has been edited by rob.marsh: 16 February 2010 - 07:52 AM

#2 User is offline   PSHAX 

• Premium Member

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

View Postrob.marsh, on Feb 16 2010, 03:51 PM, said:

Hi all,

I am looking at upgrading my GPS unit, as the one I am using, whilst it does the job is dated now.

I really like the look of the Garmin 60CSx, it gets great reviews and ticks all the boxes. I'm not too worried about maps, as I plan to continue using Open streetmap.

The thing is, brand new it is very expensive (its good kit!). I have seen some good prices for Garmin NOH versions Basically Garmin return/refurb jobs. What are peoples opinions on these? Are they a baragain or steer clear job?

Thanks in Advance!

Rob

PS thanks for eveyone's help and patience so far, I have asked a fair few noob Q's!

The 60CSx is a great bit of kit.. I have one and a Colorado, and in my opinion, the 60CSx is a better GPS, but lacks the bells and whistles of the Colorado.
I know Handtec do a load of NOH (white box) kit, and I am sure you would be getting a bargain.. Just check you get a proper manufacturers warranty first. Then if it goes tits up, you will get the usual great customer service that Garmin have shown in the past.

#3 User is offline   dino-irl 

• Lick the lid of life!

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

I bought a Nuvi from Handtec that was a rebox. It came with a 1 year guarantee, same as an original brand new one. It froze up about 2 months later and was replaced within a week by Handtec. I still have it about 3 years later ;)

#4 User is offline   HazelS 

• Not vicious or malicious, just lovely & delicious!

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

My Colorado was white box... it's gone wrong (after I dropped it down a big drop!) and it's still under manufacturer warranty - Garmin are renowned for their FAB customer service so I wouldn't hesitate to buy another white box!

#5 User is offline   rob.marsh 

• Premium Member

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:44 PM

Thankyou all for your comments. Most re-assuring.

Now all I need to do is save up a bit!!

#6 User is offline   Mad H@ter 

• Have I gone mad?

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

I have had recondition units in the past direct from Garmin and it has been difficult/impossible to distinguish them from new units. If it comes with a full warranty then IMHO I would go for it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic