Groundspeak Forums: Cryptex Drawings for Geocaching Community - Groundspeak Forums

Jump to content

  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cryptex Drawings for Geocaching Community

#1 User is offline   Soxter & Billini 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: 02-January 10

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:55 PM

This is my first post and my wife and I have been geocaching since Christmas. We love caching and enjoy all the information available online. The one thing I appreciate is that so much of this info is free and available to members.

I would like to do my part and give back to the community. Our first set of caches will be puzzle caches. I first saw online here some members designs of Cryptex's with many pictures and drawings but I did have to bounce around alot trying to get the concept. The one thing I found lacking were good quality drawings so I decided to put some of my skills to work and reverse engineered a Cryptex of my own.

I used parts available at the local Home Depot but they could be picked up at any hardware store carrying plumbing supplies. Enjoy and share, that's what there here for.

This is my first finished product and will be the final stage of my cache.
Posted Image

The images are lower resolution but click the hyperlinks to download a high quality .pdf file that you can print for a drawing set.

Drawing 1 of 9 Exploded View
Posted Image


Drawing 2 of 9 Assembled View
Posted Image

Drawing 3 of 9 Material List
Posted Image


Drawing 4 of 9 Internal Key Tube
Posted Image


Drawing 5 of 9 Inner Key Assembly
Posted Image


Drawing 6 of 9 Base Tube
Posted Image


Drawing 7 of 9 Combination Ring
Posted Image


Drawing 8 of 9 Split & Keeper Ring
Posted Image


Drawing 9 of 9 Final Assembly
Posted Image


I will try to answer questions the best I can if you have any but I work during the day and cannot always reply quickly.

Enjoy
Soxter & Billini

#2 User is offline   Clan Riffster 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 9205
  • Joined: 26-December 04

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

Amazing! If you've no objections, I'm going to try using your plans to build a 6 stage version. :blink:

#3 User is offline   WRITE SHOP ROBERT 

  • Prize Winning Profile
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 5580
  • Joined: 11-August 03

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

That's awesome of you to share!!

#4 User is offline   Chrysalides 

  • Stupendous Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 6569
  • Joined: 19-October 08

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

Yes, thank you very much!

#5 User is offline   4wheelin_fool 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 4985
  • Joined: 31-January 02

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:56 PM

Cool!

You must be a mechanical engineer/designer.

#6 User is offline   Walts Hunting 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 4613
  • Joined: 30-September 04

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:12 AM

Very nice. Any chance of there being somewhere this can be downloaded in a PDF format? Or maybe the next time I go to visit my siter in Aldergrove I can come see yours. What cache is it part of.

#7 User is offline   SubyJeff 

  • Geocacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 06-January 10

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:19 AM

View PostWalts Hunting, on Feb 26 2010, 04:12 AM, said:

Very nice. Any chance of there being somewhere this can be downloaded in a PDF format? Or maybe the next time I go to visit my siter in Aldergrove I can come see yours. What cache is it part of.

look above each image. there is a link to the PDF file for each image

there are 9 parts. i edited my post and listed them below in his quote. right click > save as for each file

View PostSoxter & Billini, on Feb 25 2010, 10:55 PM, said:


This post has been edited by SubyJeff: 26 February 2010 - 04:23 AM


#8 User is offline   TheAlabamaRambler 

  • Happy camper
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 6631
  • Joined: 16-August 03

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:55 AM

Google "cryptex" and you find all sorts of plans for building them... but yours is by far the best I have seen!

We have a group of cachers who love puzzles and such, and I've thought about building one. The clear images and detailed instructions in your post are just the kind of support I needed... I will try this.

For a first forum post I can see that Soxter and Bellini are an interesting and welcome part of our geo-community.

Thank you for a great contribution! :blink:

#9 User is offline   bflentje 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 2421
  • Joined: 06-March 05

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:00 AM

Thank you thank you. I have the materials to build one that is 12" in diameter and your plans no doubt got me motivated to finish the project. I am sure mine will not be as fine as yours but I certainly got a couple of more tips I hadn't thought of before.

#10 User is offline   knowschad 

  • Charter Nobody
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 17428
  • Joined: 20-May 05

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:08 AM

Fabulous job... and a LOT of work! Thanks for sharing with us all!

#11 User is offline   WatchDog2020 

  • Always Leave Good Swag !
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 470
  • Joined: 21-October 02

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:21 AM

Very well done. As someone who struggled through making one, I can fully appreciate the time and effort this took.

#12 User is offline   Arthur & Trillian 

  • I have my towel...
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 2503
  • Joined: 20-January 06

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

Very nicely done. I just made one and I'd be hard pressed to make as good of instructions.

#13 User is offline   Walts Hunting 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 4613
  • Joined: 30-September 04

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:59 AM

Woops missed that. Thought they were just labels. Should have noticed the underline which indicated a URL.

thanks again.

#14 User is offline   CacheNCarryMA 

  • Geocacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1727
  • Joined: 15-November 02

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:05 AM

Awesome!

I hope cachers use this in a way that doesn't get blowed up by an over zealous bomb squad. The "Exploded View" title on the first diagram could be a self-fulfilling prophesy. :blink:

#15 User is offline   Castle Mischief 

  • Unjustly Accused Since 1348
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 4092
  • Joined: 07-July 06

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:11 AM

That is some sweet work. Thanks for sharing.

#16 User is offline   Soxter & Billini 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: 02-January 10

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

View PostClan Riffster, on Feb 25 2010, 11:16 PM, said:

Amazing! If you've no objections, I'm going to try using your plans to build a 6 stage version. :blink:


None what so ever. I hope these drwings inspire more builds. I thinks once people can grasp the design concept and sequence of the build that possibilities become limited to your imagination.

View Post4wheelin_fool, on Feb 25 2010, 11:56 PM, said:

Cool!
You must be a mechanical engineer/designer.


I'm a journeyman sheet metal worker by trade and an amature machinist. My work has me designing in AutoCAD 3D most days so I'm gald I could give back to the community.

View PostWalts Hunting, on Feb 26 2010, 04:12 AM, said:

Very nice. Any chance of there being somewhere this can be downloaded in a PDF format? Or maybe the next time I go to visit my siter in Aldergrove I can come see yours. What cache is it part of.


Thanks SubyJeff for answering the first part of this question and to answer the second part, my cache hasn't been posted yet but hoping for next weekend. It will be around my home town of Maple Ridgeand I think everything seeems to be ready.

Thanks to everyone else for all your kind words.
Soxter

#17 User is offline   The Weasel 

  • Hey look, "smiles ahead"
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 778
  • Joined: 10-July 02

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

This is AWESOME!!!!

Hmm, any chance of making one w/o the letters affixed yet and selling one to somebody who is tool illiterate? Of couse I would pay for time and materials!!

e-mail me at weaselts1@msn.com if your interested.


THANKS!!

The Weasel

#18 User is offline   HawkLawless1 

  • The Dark Knight
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 94
  • Joined: 09-July 09

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

Very Cool!!! I've downloaded plans before, but never came across any this detailed or well thought out. Even I may be able to follow these.

Thanks for sharing!

HL

#19 User is offline   ChileHead 

  • It's all about the capsaicin
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1553
  • Joined: 18-July 03

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

Very cool. Nice job on the instructions.

#20 User is offline   9Key 

  • Traced In Air
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 3449
  • Joined: 11-March 02

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

Very nice plans! I suck at building things like that tough. :)
I'd gladly pay for one if someone is game.

#21 User is offline   TheAlabamaRambler 

  • Happy camper
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 6631
  • Joined: 16-August 03

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

A bit pricey for a geocache but you can buy a really nice one for ~$200.

Posted Image

#22 User is offline   Casting Crowns 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 236
  • Joined: 28-April 08

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

You, sir, have provided a very gracious gift to geocachers everywhere! I'm an electrical contractor so I have plenty of material to work with....this will keep me busy. Thank you so much!

#23 User is offline   Mom-n-Andy 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 259
  • Joined: 11-April 04

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

That is incredible! I think I'm gonna make one!

#24 User is offline   Soxter & Billini 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: 02-January 10

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

View PostThe Weasel, on Feb 26 2010, 12:14 PM, said:

This is AWESOME!!!!

Hmm, any chance of making one w/o the letters affixed yet and selling one to somebody who is tool illiterate? Of couse I would pay for time and materials!!



Thanks Weasel I will think about it. I might put some kits togeather that all you have to do is glue it up and paint to your liking. I will let you know....

HawkLawless1, ChileHead, 9Key, Casting Crowns, Mom-n-Andy... Thanks for the kind words.

#25 User is offline   Mom-n-Andy 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 259
  • Joined: 11-April 04

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:59 AM

Questions -

How do you get the cuts so nice and square in the PVC? I've used both a PVC tubing cutter and a miter box saw on PVC pipe for dog agility equipment but have trouble getting the cuts as accurate and clean as yours.

How did you cut the slot shown on drawing 6 of 9?

What length are the stainless steel machine screws?

What method did you use to remove material from areas of the PVC?


If you do make kits, I would be especially interested in a kit of the "hard to make" parts, i.e. the parts that require precision cutting.

This post has been edited by Mom-n-Andy: 27 February 2010 - 09:37 AM


#26 User is offline   Mom-n-Andy 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 259
  • Joined: 11-April 04

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:03 AM

View PostTheAlabamaRambler, on Feb 26 2010, 01:34 PM, said:

A bit pricey for a geocache but you can buy a really nice one for ~$200.

Posted Image


LOL. In the run up to the release of the Davinci Code movie I signed up for online puzzles which I played faithfully for weeks. The winners of the final puzzle were to get their own cryptexes similar to the one pictured. I figured I was a shoe in! On the day of the final puzzle there were so many players that the server overloaded and I couldn't even log on. Oh well, I can make my own now!

#27 User is offline   Klondike Mike 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 281
  • Joined: 31-December 03

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:24 AM

I have seen a smaller one for ~ $45
mini crypex

#28 User is offline   AZcachemeister 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: Banned
  • Posts: 8035
  • Joined: 09-December 02

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:05 AM

Looks like it will end up as a micro...

Adapt into an ammo can (full-size container) and I'm sold!

#29 User is offline   GeoTrailGuy 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 105
  • Joined: 29-November 09

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

View PostMom-n-Andy, on Feb 27 2010, 06:59 AM, said:

How do you get the cuts so nice and square in the PVC? I've used both a PVC tubing cutter and a miter box saw on PVC pipe for dog agility equipment but have trouble getting the cuts as accurate and clean as yours.


I've not made one of these before (yet) but have had no problem using a powered mitre saw to get nice clean 90 degree cuts.

#30 User is offline   jackrock 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: 18-September 06

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. Wish I had the tools and ability to put one of these together.

#31 User is offline   Soxter & Billini 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: 02-January 10

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

View PostMom-n-Andy, on Feb 27 2010, 06:59 AM, said:

Questions -

How do you get the cuts so nice and square in the PVC? I've used both a PVC tubing cutter and a miter box saw on PVC pipe for dog agility equipment but have trouble getting the cuts as accurate and clean as yours.

How did you cut the slot shown on drawing 6 of 9?

What length are the stainless steel machine screws?

What method did you use to remove material from areas of the PVC?


If you do make kits, I would be especially interested in a kit of the "hard to make" parts, i.e. the parts that require precision cutting.


Hi Mom-n-Andy

When I built my Cryptex I used a lathe and milling machine for most of my parts. I can appreciate that most members don't want to spend that kind of money on tooling so I can make suggestions on how to prepare parts for their builds.

The home hobbyist should become familiar with a Dremel Tool. It has many uses and gives the operator fine control over what they working on. There are many styles and options available. Check your local hardware supplier for different model and accessories available.

To answer the second part of your first question, I agree with GeoTrailGuy that an electric mitre saw would cut the parts quite true and square. Hand held mitre boxes allow for too much slop in blade movement. When you cut smaller couplers in a mitre saw I would slide them over longer lengths of schedule pipe. The stopper at the center of the coupler can be ground down easily again with a Dremel tool.

The slot I cut in the base tube in drawing 6 of 9 was done with my milling machine but I could have easily done it by laying out the slot pattern, drilling a hole at each end of the slot, and then use a Dremel with a cutting disk to cut the straight lines between the holes.

In drawing 4 of 9 I identified the machine screws as being 8-32 x 3/8 but I forgot to do this on the material list. Thanks for the heads up! I have already made the changes and updated the forum info.

There are a variety of burrs and grinding disks that can be used to remove PVC from parts that fit into Dremel tools. If you’re a serious hobbyist and like making all kinds of things, an economical lathe mill combo like this could will have you spending too much time machining and not enough time geocaching...

Lathe Drill Combo The perfect Cryptex Maker

#32 User is offline   Bullygoat29 

  • Some Geocacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 341
  • Joined: 28-September 08

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

Buying parts today I found the the 1 1/4" slip couplings are way to sloppy on the 1" outer pipe. I ended up returning the 1 1/2" for 1" to get a better fit on the outer pipe. What are your thoughts on this?

#33 User is offline   Bullygoat29 

  • Some Geocacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 341
  • Joined: 28-September 08

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

View PostAZcachemeister, on Feb 27 2010, 11:05 AM, said:

Looks like it will end up as a micro...

Adapt into an ammo can (full-size container) and I'm sold!




You could use the cryptex as a stage in a multi that gives the final coordinates to your ammo can.

#34 User is offline   Turtle_Sask 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 342
  • Joined: 11-January 09

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

This is the altiimate geocache!!! I'm not good at doing this stuff myself so when I go home in the summer me and my dad are going to make one!!!!

#35 User is offline   Chrysalides 

  • Stupendous Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 6569
  • Joined: 19-October 08

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

Never mind, bullygoat29 beat me to it by an hour. Note to self : read through the thread first.

This post has been edited by Chrysalides: 27 February 2010 - 08:43 PM


#36 User is offline   Mom-n-Andy 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 259
  • Joined: 11-April 04

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:23 AM

View PostSoxter & Billini, on Feb 27 2010, 06:37 PM, said:

If you’re a serious hobbyist and like making all kinds of things, an economical lathe mill combo like this could will have you spending too much time machining and not enough time geocaching...

Lathe Drill Combo The perfect Cryptex Maker


$1120 (on sale!) + stand + accessories for one or two cryptexes seems a bit much! B) I do have a dremel and will experiment with that. The good thing is that PVC is cheap so one can afford to make a lot of mistakes.

#37 User is offline   Soxter & Billini 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: 02-January 10

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:24 AM

View Postbullygoat29, on Feb 27 2010, 07:42 PM, said:

Buying parts today I found the the 1 1/4" slip couplings are way to sloppy on the 1" outer pipe. I ended up returning the 1 1/2" for 1" to get a better fit on the outer pipe. What are your thoughts on this?


Your question is a little vague...What are you referring to as the outer pipe? Just reference parts on my material list and so I can help answer your questions. If you find plumbing parts, locally, that works for you, than go for it. My drawings can be used as reference only to understand the mechanisms layout.

#38 User is offline   Soxter & Billini 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: 02-January 10

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:41 AM

View PostMom-n-Andy, on Feb 28 2010, 05:23 AM, said:

View PostSoxter & Billini, on Feb 27 2010, 06:37 PM, said:

If you’re a serious hobbyist and like making all kinds of things, an economical lathe mill combo like this could will have you spending too much time machining and not enough time geocaching...

Lathe Drill Combo The perfect Cryptex Maker


$1120 (on sale!) + stand + accessories for one or two cryptexes seems a bit much! :D I do have a dremel and will experiment with that. The good thing is that PVC is cheap so one can afford to make a lot of mistakes.


I agree and don't think anyone needs to spend that kind of money. If you have a dremel check out the accessories available for grinding and cutting. Not sure if you have a electric mitre saw but a new one can be had in many places for $100.

#39 User is offline   Bullygoat29 

  • Some Geocacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 341
  • Joined: 28-September 08

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

View PostSoxter & Billini, on Feb 28 2010, 08:24 AM, said:

Your question is a little vague...What are you referring to as the outer pipe? Just reference parts on my material list and so I can help answer your questions. If you find plumbing parts, locally, that works for you, than go for it. My drawings can be used as reference only to understand the mechanisms layout.




Parts 8 and 9. I ended up buying 1" and 1 1/4" slip couplings. Buying the sizes you listed gives an 1/8" gap all the way around when the rings are placed on the outer tube.



Edit: I had an epiphany and realized I was overthinking a part of the build.

This post has been edited by bullygoat29: 28 February 2010 - 06:10 PM


#40 User is offline   Soxter & Billini 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: 02-January 10

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

View Postbullygoat29, on Feb 28 2010, 01:31 PM, said:

View PostSoxter & Billini, on Feb 28 2010, 08:24 AM, said:

Your question is a little vague...What are you referring to as the outer pipe? Just reference parts on my material list and so I can help answer your questions. If you find plumbing parts, locally, that works for you, than go for it. My drawings can be used as reference only to understand the mechanisms layout.




Parts 8 and 9. I ended up buying 1" and 1 1/4" slip couplings. Buying the sizes you listed gives an 1/8" gap all the way around when the rings are placed on the outer tube.



Edit: I had an epiphany and realized I was overthinking a part of the build.


Hi Bullygoat29,

Let me start by thanking you for giving my drawings a good review. It always helps if someone can give your work a good looking over. My original cryptex design used 1-1/2 and 1-1/4 couplers but when I started building mine I switched the sizes smaller to conserve space.

You picked up on that typo and I appreciate it. I have made the changes to the forum drawings. I did use 1-1/4” and 1” couplers for my build. The dimensions represented the correct size but I used the wrong wording in the material list and the wording on the combination ring drawing. Both have been changed and I hope it didn’t cause too much confusion. Thanks again.

I started a detail earlier for you but had to put things on hold for the Hockey Game so I will post it anyways as an addition to my drawings. I can generate details from the main 3D model if anyone needs extra info. Drop me a note here and give me a few hours and I will try to get some info online for you.

Cheers Soxter

Posted Image

#41 User is offline   power69 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1916
  • Joined: 06-August 08

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:27 AM

View PostCacheNCarryMA, on Feb 26 2010, 09:05 AM, said:

Awesome!

I hope cachers use this in a way that doesn't get blowed up by an over zealous bomb squad. The "Exploded View" title on the first diagram could be a self-fulfilling prophesy. :anibad:

funny would be if combination was "NOTABOMB"

#42 User is offline   Bullygoat29 

  • Some Geocacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 341
  • Joined: 28-September 08

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

View PostSoxter & Billini, on Feb 28 2010, 08:30 PM, said:

Hi Bullygoat29,

Let me start by thanking you for giving my drawings a good review. It always helps if someone can give your work a good looking over. My original cryptex design used 1-1/2 and 1-1/4 couplers but when I started building mine I switched the sizes smaller to conserve space.

You picked up on that typo and I appreciate it. I have made the changes to the forum drawings. I did use 1-1/4" and 1" couplers for my build. The dimensions represented the correct size but I used the wrong wording in the material list and the wording on the combination ring drawing. Both have been changed and I hope it didn't cause too much confusion. Thanks again.

I started a detail earlier for you but had to put things on hold for the Hockey Game so I will post it anyways as an addition to my drawings. I can generate details from the main 3D model if anyone needs extra info. Drop me a note here and give me a few hours and I will try to get some info online for you.

Cheers Soxter






Thanks for the picture of the nut configuration. I realized after I had wrote about the clearance that they were not in the way and was able to finish it last night. I just have to prep the pipes for painting and I will post up pictures when I'm done.



As a side note. I picked up a 9" band saw from Lowes for $114. It works perfect for jobs like this.

#43 User is offline   Soxter & Billini 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: 02-January 10

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

View Postbullygoat29, on Mar 1 2010, 01:50 PM, said:

View PostSoxter & Billini, on Feb 28 2010, 08:30 PM, said:


Hi Bullygoat29,

Let me start by thanking you for giving my drawings a good review. It always helps if someone can give your work a good looking over. My original cryptex design used 1-1/2 and 1-1/4 couplers but when I started building mine I switched the sizes smaller to conserve space.

You picked up on that typo and I appreciate it. I have made the changes to the forum drawings. I did use 1-1/4" and 1" couplers for my build. The dimensions represented the correct size but I used the wrong wording in the material list and the wording on the combination ring drawing. Both have been changed and I hope it didn't cause too much confusion. Thanks again.

I started a detail earlier for you but had to put things on hold for the Hockey Game so I will post it anyways as an addition to my drawings. I can generate details from the main 3D model if anyone needs extra info. Drop me a note here and give me a few hours and I will try to get some info online for you.

Cheers Soxter






Thanks for the picture of the nut configuration. I realized after I had wrote about the clearance that they were not in the way and was able to finish it last night. I just have to prep the pipes for painting and I will post up pictures when I'm done.



As a side note. I picked up a 9" band saw from Lowes for $114. It works perfect for jobs like this.



Excellent Bullygoat!

I look forward to seeing some projects that people have created. Could you do me a favour and post a pic here on this link so other members can see your work It might help them decide if they are thinking about building one.

Cheers
Soxter

#44 User is offline   Soxter & Billini 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: 02-January 10

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

View PostWalts Hunting, on Feb 26 2010, 04:12 AM, said:

Very nice. Any chance of there being somewhere this can be downloaded in a PDF format? Or maybe the next time I go to visit my siter in Aldergrove I can come see yours. What cache is it part of.


Hey Walts,

My first of five caches came out this weekend that are related to the Cryptex. It is the only one visible for now and the rest will be over the next week or so.

Check them out if your in the area but solve the easy puzzles first...Maple Ridge Cryptex Caper (Stage 1)

#45 User is offline   kraushad 

  • B.S. In Geocachology
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 235
  • Joined: 03-December 07

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:35 AM

As a wood craftsmen in my spare time (where exact doesn't exist compared to a machinist's version of exact), and as someone who enjoys making up plans before a project, I am really impressed by your creativity and dedication to detail in your plans as well as your build.

I think I will recognize my own limitations here and wait for the kit you mentioned to come out!

Great job, and thanks for sharing.

#46 User is offline   Soxter & Billini 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: 02-January 10

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

View Postkraushad, on Mar 2 2010, 06:35 AM, said:

As a wood craftsmen in my spare time (where exact doesn't exist compared to a machinist's version of exact), and as someone who enjoys making up plans before a project, I am really impressed by your creativity and dedication to detail in your plans as well as your build.

I think I will recognize my own limitations here and wait for the kit you mentioned to come out!

Great job, and thanks for sharing.


Hi Dirk,

If you can read a tape measure or ruler and have some basic hand skills you should be able to build one of these PVC Cryptex's. Most of the sizing has been done by the manufacturer of the plumbing parts.All we do is a little cutting, a little glueing and alot of sanding.

I'm still thinking about the kits. Not sure if there is enough interest yet or if I want to make the commitment.

Cheers
Danny

#47 User is offline   Chrysalides 

  • Stupendous Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 6569
  • Joined: 19-October 08

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:41 PM

View PostSoxter & Billini, on Mar 2 2010, 12:12 PM, said:

I'm still thinking about the kits. Not sure if there is enough interest yet or if I want to make the commitment.

Quote a price that'll make it worth your trouble, and see how many orders there'll be.

You'll probably have an initial surge of interest, followed by orders trickling in slowly. So don't go all crazy with your inventory :laughing:

#48 User is offline   IBcrashen 

  • Charter Member
  • Group: +Charter Members
  • Posts: 1210
  • Joined: 06-September 01

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

View PostSoxter & Billini, on Mar 2 2010, 12:12 PM, said:


I'm still thinking about the kits. Not sure if there is enough interest yet or if I want to make the commitment.

Cheers
Danny

me, me, me

#49 User is offline   SkipHerr 

  • Charter Member
  • Group: +Charter Members
  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: 25-December 01

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

Very very nice, thank you! If I lived a little closer I'd offer you a few beverages of your choice.

I do have one question though, because I'm a metal / wood guy here, and have zero experience with PVC.

How stable is PVC to thermal expansion/contraction? With the (nominal) OD dimensions of #10 and ID of #9 leaving 0.003" clearance, will there be a temperature outside the shop build environment when the rings become to tight to turn?

#50 User is offline   bittsen 

  • Über Genius - vol.3.05
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 4764
  • Joined: 03-August 08

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

View PostSkipHerr, on Mar 2 2010, 08:21 PM, said:

Very very nice, thank you! If I lived a little closer I'd offer you a few beverages of your choice.

I do have one question though, because I'm a metal / wood guy here, and have zero experience with PVC.

How stable is PVC to thermal expansion/contraction? With the (nominal) OD dimensions of #10 and ID of #9 leaving 0.003" clearance, will there be a temperature outside the shop build environment when the rings become to tight to turn?

You don't want .003 clearance with PVC. A build with .010 would be more realistic.
PVC has a tendence to bind really easy.


P.S. I've been working with non-plumbing PVC for the last 15 or so years.

Share this topic:


  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic