Release Notes 4/8/10

OpinioNate

We will be performing a rolling release today to push some new code to the live site. What this means is that each of 6 servers will be taken down individually and updated, which in theory should not result in any downtime on your end.

We will be updating the following:

Images

Image performance has been poor lately as a result of a large image copy taking place over the last week (more background here). Images which have already been copied over to the newer, faster hardware will be served from there instead of the old image server. You should see steady increases in image performance as more images are copied.

Throttling

Last week we implemented some new throttling code which is meant to identify and lock out automated software that hits the site faster than a human ever could. Already we have blocked some major offenders. Unfortunately some humans were falsely identified as robots and put on a time-out for no good reason. We suspect a robot conspiracy and are investigating. Do not be alarmed.

Some throttling code tweaks have been made and users should not be blocked from viewing content at normal speeds. If a person does happen to be throttled by mistake, there is now a Captcha feature in place to prove your human credentials.

Please let us know if you experience any unusual site behavior. Thanks!

It has just got me but I have not been given the chance to prove I am human! How long will I be locked out for? I have about 180 finds to log!

The rolling release should be complete by this evening. If you are locked out now it will be a matter of minutes before you are let back in. Sorry!

How appropriate. At that link, Youtube tells me "An error occurred, please try again later." ;)

It's an old ad for "Rock 'em sock 'em robots". I watched the video, but I'm still getting the 500 error, so it didn't work. Any more ideas?

Edited by J-Way
It's an old ad for "Rock 'em sock 'em robots". I watched the video, but I'm still getting the 500 error, so it didn't work. Any more ideas?

When I hit the 500 error last time, I exited from my browser, and that fixed the problem.

Try:

- Restart browser

- Restart machine

- Clear cache then restart browser

- Delete geocaching.com cookies then restart browser

In that order (meaning try step 1 first, and if that doesn't work, try step 2 and so on).

Edited by Chrysalides

How appropriate. At that link, Youtube tells me "An error occurred, please try again later." ;)

We're looking into this now. Stay tuned...