Garmin Etrex Legend HCx

It is a limitation to this GPS. It is not paperless. You can load your geocaches as POI onto the memory card using GSAK.

I have not done this, I used a PDA for my paperless feature before using the iPhone and then a Delorme PN-40.

There are others that know more about this than I do. Good luck.

Edited to add links

Edited by ao318

I also use an ETrex Vista HCx and have downloaded and plan to try to use GSAK to view text and hints. I just started with it last night. It is really too bad Garmin did not include this feature. I think it was a big marketing mistake. In order to get the paperless feature you need to pay approx $100 more for another unit. I really like the Etrex Vista except for that one significant feature. Hopefully GSAK will help. It seems like such a waste to print the text and hints in a hobby that seems to be otherwise a good green outdoor activity. Just my rant/vent. I will post my hopeful success with GSAK & the ETrex. Peter.

After searching many posts by others about paperless Geocaching I was successful in getting my Garmin ETrex Vista HCx to work adequately for me. Although it does not display as much information as my buddy's Colorado, it is adequate for me. I love my ETrex Vista HCx but wanted the hint and other information in it. I did the following things to accomplish this:

-Subscribe to Geocaching.com as a Premium Member.

-Download a Pocket Query from Geocaching.com

-Download the Garmin POI (Point of Interest) application

-Download GSAK application (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) I went with the defaults and then did not accept the practice database. I also shut off the split screen view.

-Import the Pocket Query by going to File>Load GPX/LOC/Zip, in the first line browse to where you saved the Pocket Query and click OK. It will then import your Pocket Query

-Download the ProsperoDK macro for use in GSAK. I went with the default settings and then when it opens in GSAK and asks what you want to do select install it now (default) and click on Go; in the Run Macro window you will see the new macro, choose Go at the bottom left, a script will then run automatically an a menu will open. I sorted through it and set things the way I wanted. Form here you can choose a path to the file for the POI export used in Garmin POI. While this window was open I went into My Documents and created a folder named POI FILES. Then went back into the Garmin CSV POI Export v.2 menu and browsed the POI Loader Path to locate the file I just created. Then save your settings.

Then, download and unzip the Pocket Query to an isolated folder on your computer preferrably in Documents where you will remember its location. Go into GSAK and in Tools>Options>General>Application Data + Database Folder + Automatic Backup all should display the location of the saved Pocket Query location in your computer with suffixes data and backup to seperate the files. As I recall this was fairly easy and you can use the browse feature to find the file and location. Click on OK and it will bring the Pocket Query information into GSAK. I then went back into Options area and set my home location in Locations following the required home format with your coordinates. I then went into Display and selected what I wanted to appear on the main columnar view on the main GSAK screen. I then clicked on the Geocaching looking icon on the menu bar in the upper left. It will reveal GPX/LOC when you hover over it. After clicking on the icon, an Export GPX/LOC File Menu will open. I changed the top to Ver 1.1 and then the Waypoint Name to %code %name and the Maximum Character to 44. Then in Cache description I enter %typ=4/%con=3/%dif1/%ter1%user2-%hint . I then save and name these settings, again in a name that you will remember. Then I created a file path name and corresponding folder on your computer again with an address that you will remember and a file seperate from those previously created. I then click on Create and it processes the information as a GPX file in the folder on your PC. I then opened the Garmin POI application and connect the GPS to the PC. Follow the steps in the POI software. It should find your GPS. It will then access the POI file that you previously exported out of GSAK using the ProsperoDK Macro. After you finish you have a basic amount of field info in a seperate Custom Point of Interest area. You can tune the strings in Waypoint name and Cache description to what you want using the guide in the GSAK help menu. When you power up the GPS go to Menu, Find and into Custom Poits of Interest and you will see the list of caches you downloaded. Open one and you will see the basic field info. It was far harder to write this out than to actually do it. If I left anything out let me know and I will ad or edit this post. I am no wizard and was able to do it. I am sure others will be able do the same.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927

http://www.gsak.net/

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=3172

Hope this helps, Peter

Edited by pintopete

The eTrex line has always been Garmin's budget line of GPSr. In order to keep the prices low many features have been left out of most models. But next month they are coming out with a new line for the eTrex Series. The eTrex 10, 20,and 30 will all be reasonably price units as all eTrex series are and include paperless cache on all 3 models.