• This topic is locked

iPad Version Announced

#1 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache
  • Group: +Premium Members

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

Good news everyone, last night jessiep made this announcement:

View Postjessiep, on May 18 2010, 07:03 PM, said:

We just wanted to let you all know that we are in the very early stages of working on an ipad app for Geocaching. The extra screen real estate offers a lot of possibility that the iPhone lacks so we'll be looking at how to take advantage of that rather than just releasing a sized-up version of the current app. This will take some time but we hear what you are all saying and will be trying our best to make an awesome app for the new ipads.

#2 User is offline   Telecacher 

• Geocacher

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

I suppose this means any updates for the iPhone app will be delayed. :laughing:

#3 User is offline   Stripes 

• Premium Member

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

Let us know when it is ready. I am currently using the iPhone App on my iPad. Would love to have an iPad specific one.

#4 User is offline   mischief bandits 

• Premium Member

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:18 AM

Brilliant!

I pick up my 3G iPad here in the UK next friday - gives me something else to look forward to :laughing:

#5 User is offline   ArneGroundspeak 

• Geocacher
  • Group: Lackeys

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

View PostTelecacher, on May 19 2010, 04:28 PM, said:

I suppose this means any updates for the iPhone app will be delayed. ;)

The update of the iPhone app will not be delayed.

The iPad is an exciting new device and we have discussed a new app that takes advantage of the new features but our focus now is getting the new version of the iPhone app out to our users.

#6 User is offline   gdawson 

• Premium Member

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

ArneGroundspeak, on May 21 2010, 03:56 PM, said:

Telecacher, on May 19 2010, 04:28 PM, said:

I suppose this means any updates for the iPhone app will be delayed. ;)

The update of the iPhone app will not be delayed.

The iPad is an exciting new device and we have discussed a new app that takes advantage of the new features but our focus now is getting the new version of the iPhone app out to our users.

WHEN???????

#7 User is offline   Flinx_DE 

• Premium Member

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:40 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm from Germany, I've been geocaching for more than one year and this is my first post here on Groundspeak.

Today I will receive my iPad 3G and I'm very interested in using this device for paperless geocaching. I don't have any experience with using the iPhone app.

So my question is:
Shall I buy the iPhone app or wait for the iPad version?
Asking more precisely, will there be a seperate iPad edition of the Groundspeak app or will it be a simple update to the iPhone-App (in which case I can buy the app right now)?

I don't like to pay twice, particulary because I have already a premium account on Geocaching.com.

Thanks for any useful answers and keep on caching :drama:

Flinx_DE

#8 User is offline   Black-Jack-Team 

• Premium Member

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:47 AM

I'm eagerly looking forward to an iPad-Version for my iPad 3G 64GB and my iPad WiFi 16GB! :drama:
Greetings from Germany

#9 User is offline   team psychophysics 

• robbeh81

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:09 AM

This is really great news! Please make something to browse caches like in the geocaching Google Earth viewer. Cannot await to see it published!

Sent from my iPad!

#10 User is offline   cmlcrew 

• Tadpole
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

View PostSkippermark, on May 19 2010, 02:40 PM, said:

We just wanted to let you all know that we are in the very early stages of working on an ipad app for Geocaching. The extra screen real estate offers a lot of possibility that the iPhone lacks so we'll be looking at how to take advantage of that rather than just releasing a sized-up version of the current app. This will take some time but we hear what you are all saying and will be trying our best to make an awesome app for the new ipads.

Can't wait. Any word on potential release date?

This post has been edited by cmlcrew: 29 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

#11 User is offline   nativtxn 

• Premium Member

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

Sounds a whole lot like the announcement for the upcoming app for the Droid that was made a good while back - which has still yet to be seen. :P

#12 User is offline   gatoller 

• Experienced Bit Wrangler

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

Just watch- this will hit the streets before the Android app..

#13 User is offline   barddzen 

• Premium Member

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

I would love the iPad version but in not sure I'll be lugging my iPad into the bush

#14 User is offline   jreuschl 

• Premium Member

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

I would also like to know if iPhone users get a free update or if we will have to buy a new version. Iw old like to buy the app, but not twice!

#15 User is offline   Redman247 

• Serial Surveyor

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

I am kind of confused why anyone would want to use an iPad for geocaching. I just dont see the usefullness of carrying around a piece of equipment that is bigger than my iphone and GPSr combined. It would seem that a smaller more rugged device would fit the bill more than a larger more cumbersome device. Not trying to rain on yours or anyones parade here, but this seems to be taking a step backwards, its like deciding that carrying around my netbook is somehow superior or more usefull to carrying around my iPhone or GPRSr. :(

#16 User is offline   Schmausis 

• Premium Member

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

View PostRedman247, on Jun 2 2010, 01:28 PM, said:

I am kind of confused why anyone would want to use an iPad for geocaching.

oh, i think the ipad is the absolut perfect device to take a look to other caches or do a briefing while driving to another cache, we often use out netbook to see what's up near us without having an pocket query for our gramin. so i will be happy with an version for the ipad :(

regards stefan

#17 User is offline   Redman247 

• Serial Surveyor

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

So for you, the value is to utilize it as a supplement to your primary GPSr, since you didn't mention if you had an iPhone I could see that (your iPad) being a viable replacement for your current supplement (netbook). If that is the intent of the iPad variant of this application is to serve as a supplement to a current cachers setup, then I could see this as a niche type solution. But unlike the iPhone I cannot see it as a primary solution.

An interesting statisitc would be a comparison of 1 year of iPhone sales for this app compared to 1 year of iPad sales, providing that the iPhone and iPad applications are sold seperately.

#18 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

I'd be worried about damaging it on the trail, but I'd love to have an iPad in the car to use as a "base unit" to see larger maps and things like that.

#19 User is offline   Adventure777 

• Premium Member

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:44 AM

I have not been geocaching for a year yet but I have been paperless the whole time. I started out with Geocache Navigator on the Blackberry. I have been to several events and caching with others from the events who use GPSs and watched them struggle because they do not have all of the cache info. However the blackberry has recently failed me by timing out during downloads so I was looking for a GPS device that can do it all. I mean Wherigo and puzzle caches, paperless, map all the caches around me, and total logging in the field. I found it with the iPad. I also bought a waterproof case for it that hangs around my neck or over my shoulder like a satchel but can still use the touch screen so it is safe and easy to use in the field. I just got it but have been pleased so far and love the ease of use afforded by the size. Typing this from the iPad was as easy as a regular keyboard. Try that from an iPhone. :)

This post has been edited by Adventure777: 04 June 2010 - 05:20 AM

#20 User is offline   osros 

• Premium Member

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:14 AM

I look forward to the Ipad version. Im using my car gps to get me to the area and the Ipad on foot. Just being able to do it all on the Ipad makes it so much easier. I just got the Ipad a couple weeks ago and have not used my laptop or Desktop except for gaming since. As for worried about breaking it I use a good book type case and screen protector, it allows you to work with it and have some measure of protection all around.

The battery last a long time. which is great for those multi cache hunts or all day outing. I just got into Geocaching and never planned to use the Ipad for such an activity but Im glad I have it and at least can use the Iphone version for now.

Bring on the Ipad version!!!

#21 User is offline   Xandria 

• Tadpole

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

I am kind of confused why anyone would want to use an iPad for geocaching. I just dont see the usefullness of carrying around a piece of equipment that is bigger than my iphone and GPSr combined. It would seem that a smaller more rugged device would fit the bill more than a larger more cumbersome device. Not trying to rain on yours or anyones parade here, but this seems to be taking a step backwards, its like deciding that carrying around my netbook is somehow superior or more usefull to carrying around my iPhone or GPRSr. :unsure:

Due to a combination of factors, almost all of my caching is urban or suburban…what little I get to do, that is. I do very little rugged caching. When my husband broached the idea of buying me an iPad for my birthday, one of the first things I looked into was a geocaching app.

I'm considering selling my Garmin iQue for whatever I can get for it, and buying a dedicated GPSr. Since my iPad would take the place of the PDA functions, I wouldn't need the iQue. And having a good app for the iPad would allow me to go with a more basic unit. True, I would still probably go with printouts and the like for off-trail or deep woods caching, but that's so incredibly rare for me that it would be a good tradeoff. And having both an iPhone and an iPad is not doable for me. (Besides, I specifically want a separate phone…)

So yes, there is a market for it. :lol: And hopefully I will be part of that market in, oh, fifteen days. :)

#22 User is offline   JesandTodd 

• Restless Soul Syndrome...

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

View PostAdventure777, on Jun 4 2010, 04:44 AM, said:

. Typing this from the iPad was as easy as a regular keyboard. Try that from an iPhone. :lol:

No problem. I do 100% of my geocaching via my iPhone. All searching, logs, emails, running PQs, and forum posts. It's easy.

Now, I'm totally getting the ipad, but for now the iPhone still works just fine :unsure:

#23 User is offline   Flinx_DE 

• Premium Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:11 AM

I am kind of confused why anyone would want to use an iPad for geocaching. I just dont see the usefullness of carrying around a piece of equipment that is bigger than my iphone and GPSr combined.

The iPad would be a wonderful device for planning, routing and paperless caching if there is a native Groundspeak-App. The iPad fits perfectly into my bag together with all my other caching paraphernalia - and it also does in the woods and bushes :angry:

Until Groundspeak get around with their iPad app I recommend the App "iPlunder HD"
http://itunes.apple.com/my/app/iplunder-hd...d364902409?mt=8

It's cost only 2 bucks and you can import Pocket Queries right from your email attachement (for that you also need the apps Goodreader for unzipping and Dropbox for web-storage). iPlunder shows you all necessary cache data (except pictures) together with the exact location on Google Maps. If you have an iPad with GPS it also shows your current location. With one tap you can open the according detail page on Geocaching.com.

Support seems very good as with version 1.2 the authors redesigned the whole application for far better usability and GPS support.

Flinx

#24 User is offline   IndyJones1023 

• Premium Member

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:16 AM

I'll voice my support in this thread, too. I can't wait to buy the iPad version of this. I'll buy the iPhone version right now if there was any information on free upgrades.

#25 User is offline   MrsJonesen 

• Premium Member

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

Awesome!!! I am loving the heck out of my iPad and can't wait to see what GC brings!

#26 User is offline   Ceolmhor 

• Premium Member

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

View Postosros, on Jun 6 2010, 05:14 AM, said:

I look forward to the Ipad version. Im using my car gps to get me to the area and the Ipad on foot. Just being able to do it all on the Ipad makes it so much easier. I just got the Ipad a couple weeks ago and have not used my laptop or Desktop except for gaming since. As for worried about breaking it I use a good book type case and screen protector, it allows you to work with it and have some measure of protection all around.

I'm using my iPad this way, as well, though its ability to operate this way wasn't a factor in my purchase of it.

I couldn't be more pleased with the iPad as a geocaching device. I still have my iPhone and a Garmin Oregon GPSr, so I can mix and match to suit the occasion. If I'm not expecting rugged or wet terrain or rain, I'm likely to take my iPad when I leave the car (also well protected in a messenger bag).

For me, the iPad is much better than the iPhone for navigating to the site, as I can clearly see and interpret it from across the car.

I recently made a two-day trip with my wife, she in meetings and me on the trail. I stupidly left my Oregon at home, so the only devices I had for the geocaching were my iPhone and iPad. It quickly became evident that my iPhone 3GS wasn't accurate enough (or maybe was more susceptible to mountains and other factors that interfere with satellite reception?), but the iPad was accurate enough for everything I tried. And I really like being able to see the satellite images well, as I use that for about half my finds, with no near-the-cache positioning by GPS coordinates.

My personal preference at present is for the Geocaching with Geosphere app, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the new geocaching.com iPad app move into first place. They're both excellent tools, and an iPad-specific version of either would be a real step forward.

#27 User is offline   IndyJones1023 

• Premium Member

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Any ETA on the iPad edition? I have a trip in a couple of weeks and would love to use it.

Or, please announce something regarding pricing. If I buy the iPhone version now can I upgrade for free?

#28 User is offline   team psychophysics 

• robbeh81

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:19 AM

Unfortunately no reaction from GS, please, if you guys can tell something about an iPad version, let us know.

#29 User is offline   Skippermark 

• Will work for cache

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

I don't work for Groundspeak, so my answer isn't official, but the priority right now is the iPhone and Android apps.

#30 User is offline   OhMyGod87 

• Tadpole

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:06 AM

ipad app would be really great ! hurry up :grin:

#31 User is offline   mischief bandits 

• Premium Member

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:03 AM

Anyone else noticed that when using the geocaching app on iPad, the icons in the cache search result list are 'high def'?

I wonder if the gecaching 4 app has been updated for iOS4 and the higher def graphics for the iPhone 4, whether the better graphocs will show on the iPad...

#32 User is offline   rjo 

• Premium Member

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

I just want to +1 this...

Being able to work the ipad in the car to plan caches will be brilliant!!!

#33 User is offline   leosoul 

• Premium Member

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

I would also like to express my opinion on this. My iPad shopping depends entirely on Geocaching app for it. Currently waiting on my iPhone 4 to arrive, but definitely would love to have iPad for cachig, just because of its bigger screen. Then only I will be totally paperless (hate to be on GZ trying to figure out Spoiler pic on iPhone)

#34 User is offline   tachoknight 

• ...but that's now. And now never lasts very long.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

I just came back from finding some caches using the iPad, and I have to say that its about as accurate as my 60csx, which is a bit better than my iPhone 3gs; both caches were found today with the iPad and, with the right case (which I don't yet have), I would make this main device; the battery life would keep for a full day of caching, while my phone starts to get low after about a couple of hours.

I found at least one nice aspect of using the iPhone app in the iPad; because everything is 2x bigger, I can show the hint, coordinates, whatever, to my wife from sort-of far away and she can read it. :lol:

I'll definitely be getting the iPad version, whenever it becomes available.

This post has been edited by tachoknight: 05 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

#35 User is offline   jbushee 

• Geocacher

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

View Posttachoknight, on Jul 5 2010, 03:46 PM, said:

I just came back from finding some caches using the iPad, and I have to say that its about as accurate as my 60csx, which is a bit better than my iPhone 3gs; both caches were found today with the iPad and, with the right case (which I don't yet have), I would make this main device; the battery life would keep for a full day of caching, while my phone starts to get low after about a couple of hours.

I found at least one nice aspect of using the iPhone app in the iPad; because everything is 2x bigger, I can show the hint, coordinates, whatever, to my wife from sort-of far away and she can read it. :blink:

I'll definitely be getting the iPad version, whenever it becomes available.

Just curious to see if you have the Heading Up button in map view, navigating to cache?
Mine is missing, and was in prior version as well.

Have to agree that except for that, it seems to work well.

#36 User is offline   MikesTooLz 

• Premium Member

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

Yeah iPad has bigger screen and the GPS is far better than the iPhone.
My iphone 3gs had an accuracy of about 60 feet. My iPad shows an accuracy of about 13 feet.

I came here looking on the forums because I was pissed that a new geocaching iphone app was just released and it had no iPad support. At least now I know they are working on one for the iPad, I'll gladly pay another $10 but come on and hurry up the development process The ipad has been out for many months now and the iPad development kit with simulator has been out for longer than that.

This post has been edited by MikesTooLz: 06 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

#37 User is offline   tachoknight 

• ...but that's now. And now never lasts very long.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

View Postjbushee, on Jul 6 2010, 10:26 AM, said:

Just curious to see if you have the Heading Up button in map view, navigating to cache?
Mine is missing, and was in prior version as well.

I confess I didn't try that part; I switch to the Google Maps app as it seems to update faster and adds satellite imagery (not useful in a forest I admit, but in the city, it's great). Now that 4.0 is out, I'm going to try to stay entirely within the app and see how it works out.

This post has been edited by tachoknight: 06 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

#38 User is offline   steveski74 

• Premium Member

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

Look, using it to locate a cache would be cumbersome, but planning trips when you're away from home could be a snap on one of these things with the bigger screen for sat maps. If you're going for a walk around some hills to do a cluster, post field notes on the ipad when you get back to the car.

I personally never use my iphone for FINDING a cache as the assisted gps is truly abominable, even with a 3gs or ipad with the compass. It's just an option for those who might have gone for an iPad and real gps combo, but don't have a smart phone with the gc app.

The best option for sat photos though is the new GPSMAP 62st.

I am kind of confused why anyone would want to use an iPad for geocaching. I just dont see the usefullness of carrying around a piece of equipment that is bigger than my iphone and GPSr combined. It would seem that a smaller more rugged device would fit the bill more than a larger more cumbersome device. Not trying to rain on yours or anyones parade here, but this seems to be taking a step backwards, its like deciding that carrying around my netbook is somehow superior or more usefull to carrying around my iPhone or GPRSr. :lol:

#39 User is offline   IndyJones1023 

• Premium Member

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:03 AM

View Poststeveski74, on Jul 8 2010, 12:08 AM, said:

Look, using it to locate a cache would be cumbersome, but planning trips when you're away from home could be a snap on one of these things with the bigger screen for sat maps. If you're going for a walk around some hills to do a cluster, post field notes on the ipad when you get back to the car.

I personally never use my iphone for FINDING a cache as the assisted gps is truly abominable, even with a 3gs or ipad with the compass. It's just an option for those who might have gone for an iPad and real gps combo, but don't have a smart phone with the gc app.

The best option for sat photos though is the new GPSMAP 62st.

I am kind of confused why anyone would want to use an iPad for geocaching. I just dont see the usefullness of carrying around a piece of equipment that is bigger than my iphone and GPSr combined. It would seem that a smaller more rugged device would fit the bill more than a larger more cumbersome device. Not trying to rain on yours or anyones parade here, but this seems to be taking a step backwards, its like deciding that carrying around my netbook is somehow superior or more usefull to carrying around my iPhone or GPRSr. :lol:

To each their own. I've been riding my bike around tracking myself with Every Trail, then switch over to the free Geocaching free trial app to find a geocach with my iPad. Having the full version is very much desired.

#40 User is offline   LukeTrocity 

• Tier 1 Premium Member

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:50 AM

[/quote]
To each their own. I've been riding my bike around tracking myself with Every Trail, then switch over to the free Geocaching free trial app to find a geocach with my iPad. Having the full version is very much desired.
[/quote]
But why carry such an expensive item when you don't need to? I have a droid incredible, and there's nothing i can't do on the road. I can build PQ on the fly, log caches, store for offline, track my entire day on a trail log etc etc. Just seems a little nuts to see people carrying big old ipads around the woods.

#41 User is offline   IndyJones1023 

• Premium Member

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:01 AM

View Postluketrocity, on Jul 8 2010, 07:50 AM, said:

But why carry such an expensive item when you don't need to? I have a droid incredible, and there's nothing i can't do on the road. I can build PQ on the fly, log caches, store for offline, track my entire day on a trail log etc etc. Just seems a little nuts to see people carrying big old ipads around the woods.

Because I don't have a Droid? Or an iPhone. I have an old WinMo phone that is on its last legs. I have to hard reset it every month or two due to slow downs.

I travel a lot and bought the iPad for music, movies, TV shows, games, email, etc. I found I could now enter the wonderful world of apps and have been loading up on GPS, map, and social apps.

But that's not the point. It doesn't matter that you couldn't fathom why people would use an iPad for geocaching. The fact is that people do and are clamoring for the official Geocaching.com app to be upgraded to use the larger screen.

This post has been edited by IndyJones1023: 08 July 2010 - 04:02 AM

#42 User is offline   famleigh 

• Premium Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

View PostSkippermark, on May 19 2010, 02:40 PM, said:

Make sure you allow us to tilt the ipad sideways. I have it velcro'd in my car that way using google maps. very nice in landscape view

#43 User is offline   Turkey on the top 

• Premium Member

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

@ Groundspeak Could we please get an update on the iPad app development.

Many thanks

#44 User is offline   GOT GPS? 

• GPS carrying member
  • Group: +Charter Members

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:13 AM

Just got the iPad 3G last Sunday, so I am interested too.

#45 User is offline   Devar 

• Distinguished Gentleman

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

I sure hope this is going to be an upgrade to the existing iphone app to be a universal app -- that is, it is the same application but supports both the features of the iphone and the ipad.

I'm sick of dev's rorting people to buy another app for a device that operates essentially the same but has a larger screen!

Cmon Groundspeak, make it universal! :o

#46 User is offline   jmd65 

• Premium Member

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

View PostSkippermark, on Jun 2 2010, 06:11 PM, said:

I'd be worried about damaging it on the trail, but I'd love to have an iPad in the car to use as a "base unit" to see larger maps and things like that.

That's exactly the way I use mine.

#47 User is offline   Marky 

• ...since July 5, 2002
  • Group: +Charter Members

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

View PostDevar, on Aug 8 2010, 09:12 PM, said:

Cmon Groundspeak, make it universal! :P

What he said!

#48 User is offline   obiwankentoni 

• Premium Member

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:54 AM

View PostDevar, on Aug 8 2010, 08:12 PM, said:

Cmon Groundspeak, make it universal! <_<

I could speed up the release of an iPad version by applying Murphy's Law.
If I buy the iPhone version now, quite soon they will release the iPad version. Of course as a separate app so I will have to buy it again.
If I don't buy the iPhone app, the iPad app will be delayed until the first geocache in hell is placed.

Ah well... decisions....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked