Attribute request idea

wwbd

Hi. I sent this in to Groundspeak Support and they referred me here as Developers read the forums.

Geocaching has resulted in my becoming interested in my local history. Very many geocaches seem to have historical information in their descriptions and I just come across them by chance.

I was speaking with a fellow geocacher and we think it would be great if there was an "historical" attribute to choose from when adding a new cache. If that were the case then we could search on that attribute if we felt the desire to find something more meaningful than just another box in the woods or a micro in a parking lot.

Thanks for providing a great way to get out and learn about my area!

Forgot to add: Those links came from a Google search. They will through your forum browsing into Outline mode (just the way Google and this forum software works). Click the Options button in the upper-right and select Standard display mode to get back to "normal"

Not to step on your efforts to get a fresh discussion started on the subject, but you might want to see what has been discussed before regarding that idea:

Historic Attribute?

Icons for historical themes?

New Cache Type

I didn't think to search here because i was directed here by Groundspeak to post my suggestion.

The idea to look on Waymarking and then cross reference to Geocaches is not a bad idea as a workaround. I have not read through all of the comments in those threads yet and understand *some* of the dilemma but as a consolation since many of the historically significant sites already have an historical marker or sign that in itself could settle what exactly is considered historical and an attribute could be used in that manner.

So perhaps it could be an historical marker attribute?

Not to step on your efforts to get a fresh discussion started on the subject, but you might want to see what has been discussed before regarding that idea:

Historic Attribute?

New Cache Type

I didn't think to search here because i was directed here by Groundspeak to post my suggestion.

The idea to look on Waymarking and then cross reference to Geocaches is not a bad idea as a workaround. I have not read through all of the comments in those threads yet and understand *some* of the dilemma but as a consolation since many of the historically significant sites already have an historical marker or sign that in itself could settle what exactly is considered historical and an attribute could be used in that manner.

See... this is where at least part of the problem lies: difference of opinion about what constitues a "historical site". While I love historical sites (and have a number of caches hidden to point some of them out), historical markers are, to me, the most boring sort of historical site. They seem to generally be placed to let you know what once was there that no longer remains to be seen. Edited by knowschad

Historic Attribute?

New Cache Type

See... this is where at least part of the problem lies: difference of opinion about what constitues a "historical site". While I love historical sites (and have a number of caches hidden to point some of them out), historical markers are, to me, the most boring sort of historical site. They seem to generally be placed to let you know what once was there that no longer remains to be seen.

...and I like both the markers and the actual remains of history because both are important.

however - the state of Nebraska really frowns on any cache placed anywhere near actual historical remains - so I am unlikely to find any caches near the actual real history spots.

LOL this seemed so simple to me, I did not realize what a can of worms we have here!

It should be simple.......meeting everybody's individual expectations is the hard part.

That and complying with the existing rules and regulations in different areas and site guidelines.

It seems like some other attributes are subjective:

Recommended for kids (what age?)

Scenic view (One person's treasure...)

Significant hike (is that 1 mile or 5?)

Dangerous area (in what way?)

etc.

...just sayin... :laughing:

etc.

My favorite is "available in winter" - there are at least 3 very different definitions of that one.

This is why the attirutes generally suffer a useablility problem -- inconsistent application.

etc.

My favorite is "available in winter" - there are at least 3 very different definitions of that one.

This is why the attirutes generally suffer a useablility problem -- inconsistent application.

I think the topic in those threads has lost it's way in the minutiae. Why can't it just be historically significant because the owner knows something historical about the location, sign or no sign. Then leave it up to the Reviewer to decide?

etc.

I think the topic in those threads has lost it's way in the minutiae. Why can't it just be historically significant because the owner knows something historical about the location, sign or no sign. Then leave it up to the Reviewer to decide?

The reviewers are not going to get into the business of policing the attributes - at least not 99.9% of the time....... Edited by StarBrand

I suspect that the biggest hill to climb here is simply getting them to add any new attributes. I don't think any have been added in the 5+ years that I've been geocaching. While your suggestion of a historical attribute is a common one, there are also many other requests for other attributes, and so perhaps they prefer to just leave well enough alone. Still... it never hurts to ask!

Since the retirement of the Virtual Cache there's not much which can be done with Historical Caching in areas which forbid a physical cache. Which is a terrible shame.

I keep hearing Waymarking tossed around, but if it doesn't show up on the cache lists and cache maps it's going to remain obscure. Sorry, but Geocaching is becoming mainstream and what you see is what you go to.

As there are Earthcaches, I'd very much like to see a History- or Culture-cache. These would allow geocachers to create informational caches, which aren't geology specific. I've visited some virtual caches which have greatly spurred my interest in history and know when those virtuals are finally archived, so go some of the greatest caches placed.

Further, National Parks and some State parks have a preference for Virtual Caches, but there's nothing that can be done within the current framework. Opportunity is being lost here.

Since the retirement of the Virtual Cache there's not much which can be done with Historical Caching in areas which forbid a physical cache. Which is a terrible shame.

Actually Multi-Caches are quit handy solution to this and also used quit often.

I suspect that the biggest hill to climb here is simply getting them to add any new attributes. I don't think any have been added in the 5+ years that I've been geocaching.

Flashlight Required attribute is fairly recent and the Lost and Found attribute (not the cache type) was added less than a couple of months ago.

I suspect that the biggest hill to climb here is simply getting them to add any new attributes. I don't think any have been added in the 5+ years that I've been geocaching.

Flashlight Required attribute is fairly recent and the Lost and Found attribute (not the cache type) was added less than a couple of months ago.

Lost and Found attribute? Where is that? Not on the Add Attributes page that I'm using!

Lost and Found attribute? Where is that? Not on the Add Attributes page that I'm using!

Only Groundspeak can add that one. It's for events that a Groundspeak Lackey is going to attend. Go to Lost and Found for details and to find events with this attribute.

The pocket query setup page lets you select it for searches as well.

Edited by Avernar

Only Groundspeak can add that one. It's for events that a Groundspeak Lackey is going to attend. Go to Lost and Found for details and to find events with this attribute.

The pocket query setup page lets you select it for searches as well.

I see. New attributes can be added if... no, I'm not going to go there.

Off the main attribute request issue here, I'd like to see the option of adding the attributes of "Fuel Nearby", "Lodging Nearby", and "Food Nearby". Also, maybe increase the number of attributes to 12 from 10.

"Fuel Nearby"...But what kind of fuel? What if I have a vehicle that takes Diesel and they only sell regular gasoline???

"Food Nearby" What if I am a vegetarian and it's just KFC???

"Lodging Nearby". I have pretty high standards for what lodging is. Does this mean a B&B or a Hilton or a Motel 6???

It's too complicated man! :)

"Fuel Nearby"...But what kind of fuel? What if I have a vehicle that takes Diesel and they only sell regular gasoline???

"Lodging Nearby". I have pretty high standards for what lodging is. Does this mean a B&B or a Hilton or a Motel 6???

It's too complicated man! :)

how about combining all of this into a single attribute "stuff nearby"? :laughing:

That's easy! Just go to the KFC and ask for their left over cooking oil to use as biodiesel. :)

I guess technically ALL caches have a hidden attribute of "History Nearby" since something must have happened somewhere at one point in the past :laughing:

i'm not sure how much activity the inside of a lamp port skirt really sees.... :)