Droid Caching Apps

I have the motorola droid and I have tried a couple of the free geocaching apps and I can't find one the works well enough. I want to buy one of them on the Android market, but I don't know which to go with. I don't want to buy it unless it's good. So, does anyone have any suggestions? Any advice or suggestions would be majorly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by TheDunsilFamily

the android phone has great geocaching tools,

ive been using the "GPS Test" app to hide my finds, because it tells me how many satilites its able to see, what their signal strength is, how many ft i am accurate within, (which can vary from 9ft to 50ft in most urban settings,) if you let your phone settle for a few minutes you can generally get a decent reading of like 14ft, or so which i think is pretty accurate for a smartphone.

course im in the market now for a REAL gps, to hide, since 9 - 50ft is not acceptable in my opinion, and i want to make my hides accurate, (especially since its almost never closer to 9ft, and almost always closer to like 30ft,

as far as hunting caches on the droid, apart from the "still in testing" official app from Groundspeak, theres really only one app that works very well, on a consistent basis.

course you wont find it on here, since its not allowed.

but if you are only using your phone for a month or so theres the trial app for GEOOH which is a great app, but the trial lasts only 30 days, after that it no longer works, or you could pay like $10 for it, which might be a monthly or 3 month thing.

Moderator, here...

Groundspeak asks that you not use their resources to promote apps that violate the terms of use that you agreed to. If you have to work hard to avoid the automated "dirty word" automated censorship on the forum, that should be a clue.

Don't use the site (and that includes PM) to discuss and promote such apps.

(I'm well aware of the awkwardness of the current situation.)

Moderator, here...

Groundspeak asks that you not use their resources to promote apps that violate the terms of use that you agreed to. If you have to work hard to avoid the automated "dirty word" automated censorship on the forum, that should be a clue.

It's stupid... Let the develop talk to the database properly. It shouldn't be a difficult decision... The application is, no doubt, nicer than the official application is going to. There's no need to put effort into developing another application when there's one that works absolutely beautifully already.

Moderator, here...

Hi,

Hope you're not monitoring PM's as that would be real bad habbit.....

For droid app, i hope there will be some since i'm about to renew my premium membership soon, but if no legal droid app i will not do it...

Regards

Roy

I am slightly confused and am hoping a moderator can answer this. Why are people allowed to talk about certain apps but not others here? Apparently there is one in particular that is a sore subject, but there are posts regarding other free apps for the Droid that don't get the same type of attention.

Business or not, you would think that any app, no matter what its name or who it is from, that makes Geocaching enjoyable should not be banned from here. The more people that geocache, the more revenue from premium memberships and advertising.

I know these are Groundspeaks forums and when I signed up here I agreed to follow their rules, and I will but it seems silly to be so militant about one particular app and not others. To be honest, it makes me wonder what the motives are here...

There are many Android apps that obey the terms of use. Geobeagle, Geohunter, Cachemate, and others come to mind, and there are already threads on those apps. This thread is asking (again) about those apps. Groundspeak has announced they will deliver an app of their own. It's not available yet.

If you want to tell the site that it's stupid and shouldn't be a difficult decision to rescind section 5 of the TOU or reverse their position of not offering an API,that address is 'contact@Groundspeak.com'. Debating legal and technical issues here is pointless; contact the decision makers.

Groundspeak sets the rules about how you (and software) can access the site. Most programs obey those rules. Encouraging ones that don't obey the rules would be silly.

Edited by robertlipe

There are many Android apps that obey the terms of use. Geobeagle, Geohunter, Cachemate, and others come to mind, and there are already threads on those apps. This thread is asking (again) about those apps. Groundspeak has announced they will deliver an app of their own. It's not available yet.

If you want to tell the site that it's stupid and shouldn't be a difficult decision to rescind section 5 of the TOU or reverse their position of not offering an API,that address is 'contact@Groundspeak.com'. Debating legal and technical issues here is pointless; contact the decision makers.

Groundspeak sets the rules about how you (and software) can access the site. Most programs obey those rules. Encouraging ones that don't obey the rules would be silly.

It was a simple question. Nowhere did I use the term stupid...

A simple they are breaking the TOU and the others aren't would have sufficed....

MdEd didn't. kb1rma did. I didn't use the

tags for a reason. MdEd's post came in while I was composing mine. Once intertwined with real life - sometimes work/life intervenes and a post can take tens of minutes to submit - the linear timestamps don't always tell the whole threading story.

I'd love to be able to personalize every rehash of every ongoing thread for every newcomer, but it's just not practical.