Took the 62st on its first hike / caching adventure today. In general it worked well, but there is one odd thing.
The custom maps I made with Google Earth, putting an image of the park trail map into the GPS, worked out very well. They displayed fine, and were very easy to use. In fact I disabled the built-in topo maps, since the topo lines in the park map were easy to read.
The GPS did a good job tracking my location, but the vertical profile shows bursts where the GPS couldn't keep track of the elevation.
The black line shows the profile per Delorme Topo 8's built-in topo data. The green line shows the profile from the Garmin 62st. Note how the Garmin usually did well, but when it lost elevation "lock" it really went crazy.
I post-processed the track through Fizzymagic's AnalyzeTrack program, and it claimed that I hiked over 8000 vertical feet ... when Everytrail and Topo 8 said I did under 2000. I guess Fizzy's program isn't handling the odd burstiness of the Garmin's elevation data very well.
Battery life was super, compared with the PN-40.
Oh, finding caches. The 62st did very well. The "workflow" of finding caches and logging them is quite a bit different on the 62st than on the PN-40 that I'm used to, so it took some getting used to ... but everything worked out just fine. I think I need to play with the order of pages a little, as I find I'm spending a lot of time scrolling from Compass ---> Geocaches and back. But once that's done I think I will be very happy with the 62st.
Bottom line: the altitude thing is quite disturbing. This thing goes back unless there's a fix. Calling Garmin tomorrow.
This post has been edited by sammydee: 08 August 2010 - 10:20 PM