*GASP*

DragonsWest

I have a strong urge to perform a happy dance.

Certainly I am waiting with bated breath to see what form it takes.

I love virts and felt I really missed the boat when I never got around to doing any, with all the history around this place. I mean, I'm stepping in it every day and everywhere I go. I'd much rather a virtual than the ubiquitous film can hidden in a very inappropriate place.

I personally do not think Jeremy's objective is possible. For one thing if I spent lots of time participating in Waymarking because I believed that virtuals would no longer be accepted as caches, I cannot imagine how I could not be upset by a change in policy. I know lots of waymarkers are upset by the lack of consistent support and upgrades to that site and I think this policy would make it even less likely that the site would be consistently supported.

I also would not expect any implimentation of this to happen soon and would hope that there are many other projects that would take priority. After all with the current limited voting method less than 200 people have supported it.

Team Taran

I also would not expect any implementation of this to happen soon and would hope that there are many other projects that would take priority. After all with the current limited voting method less than 200 people have supported it.

Team Taran

It's not a vote. This isn't a democracy.

Is it possible that you missed the reference to a past, er, situation?

This seems cool. I've never found a Virtual. The closest one to me is 67 miles. I checked it out one time but didn't have enough time to gather the necessary info. I was with a group. :anicute: I'll get it one of these days.

Do the same rules apply that Virtuals have to be at least .1 miles from another cache or can they just go anywhere they like?

I'm thinking May.

:D

I'm thinking I might need to start "reserving" a few spots in anticipation...

I'm thinking May.

And you think this why?

I didn't say what year.*

:anicute:

* Old joke for the old timers. Way back when, the Waymarking site was said to be coming in "May". One "May" passed and I think another one did too. Eventually, Waymarking was born.

I'm thinking May.

I'm thinking I might need to start "reserving" a few spots in anticipation...

I'm thinking May.

And you think this why?

I didn't say what year.*

:anicute:

* Old joke for the old timers. Way back when, the Waymarking site was said to be coming in "May". One "May" passed and I think another one did too. Eventually, Waymarking was born.

Oops. Forgot about that.

This seems cool. I've never found a Virtual. The closest one to me is 67 miles. I checked it out one time but didn't have enough time to gather the necessary info. I was with a group. :anicute: I'll get it one of these days.

Do the same rules apply that Virtuals have to be at least .1 miles from another cache or can they just go anywhere they like?

No rules apply yet. We have to wait and see what they come up with. Till then, they are still not allowed.

I also would not expect any implementation of this to happen soon and would hope that there are many other projects that would take priority. After all with the current limited voting method less than 200 people have supported it.

Team Taran

D'oh! Well played, Team Taran. My bad.

Team Taran

D'oh! Well played, Team Taran. My bad.

Don't feel bad. I got had to.

Edited by GOF & Bacall

jer.png

GC2VIRT Decision Point

This is where Signal was when the decision came down to bring back Virtual Caches.

The historic spot can be identified by a small, round hole in the ceiling. To claim this

find, write to me describing where in the establishment the hole can be found.

I give up. Is it in the Men's room or above the bar?

I think it was in the bank next door, Signal was trying to borrow some money for a new GPSr, using some very cool swag as collateral - I believe the following words were spoken- "That's a knick-knack, Patty Wack, give the frog a loan."

I personally do not think Jeremy's objective is possible.

Jeremy said that he hopes for a solution that will satsify both camps. That indeed does seem difficult. I can imagine a few scenarios but we will see.

As to Waymarking, it was always more of a solution to locationless and that is unlikely to change. And with the votes . . . The proposal on Get Satisfaction was one of the more popular ones, but I don't think either site intends to be a scientific poll or a popularity contest.

If virtuals return in a way that makes them part of this game, I'll be happy. If they return so that not every plaque or every McDonalds is a virtual I will be happier. If they return with an objective educational function rather than a wow factor, I will be ecstatic.

Edited by mulvaney

ONe thing that someone needs to understand, you cannot make everyone hapy just decide and get it over with. You already removed virtuals, why bother bringing it back people will get tired of things coming and going as I would.

I don't mind virtuals or no virtuals but make it one or the other, stop toying with it.

It isn't a democracy, it is Jeremy's choice (or any of the other Lackeys) if they want to solicit your vote, they don't have to FTW.

Excuse me while I go out and throw my tennis-shoes over the power wires. :D

One of my all time favourite things off of my 'awesome things seen while Geocaching' list is the pair of skates that I saw thrown over the hydro lines in downtown Hull :anicute:

As for the topic at hand, I propose this -

Bring back virtuals and direct those who don't like it to a tutorial on the 'ignore' feature. Those of us who genuinely enjoy virtuals win, while those who don't learn about an interesting feature of the site!

The best definition I've seen for a virtual is "A place where I would hide a physical cache but can't for some reason (no permission, too many muggles, not appropriate, on vacation, etc.)." I hope if virtuals come back there will be a better definition than this.

Most of the attempts at a new defintion are along the line of we used to have - "Virtuals must be novel, of interest to other players, and have a special historic, community or geocaching quality that sets it apart from everyday subjects." Trying to define a History cache, a Cultural Cache, or a Nature Cache; all have the same problem of deciding what qualifies in each category. People would submit things and either reviewers would reject them or others will start complaining there is no quality control and a pair of sneakers could be a Cultural phenomenon.

Perhaps you could use the EarthCache model and have special reviewers whose decisions as to whether something qualifies is final. The biggest issue I have is that this all sounds like Waymarking. I'd like to see a definition for virtual cache that distinguishes them from Waymarks. However, it may be what Jeremy is thinking of is a way to integrate Waymarking and Geocaching better, so that cool locations are still listed as Waymarks but you'd be able to get them in one PQ along with Geocaches (and perhaps have them show in your statistics as well).

Perhaps you could use the EarthCache model and have special reviewers whose decisions as to whether something qualifies is final.

that's also the only way i can think of. but that would mean a lot of work, strict guidelines for every type of virtual possible, a review committee, etc. i don't see that happening.

I'd like to see a definition for virtual cache that distinguishes them from Waymarks.

the logging requirement. :anicute: yes, waymarks can have logging requirements too, but that's not really the point of the site. the site is a directory of coordinates (waymarks) and not a game per se. there's no "achievement" in "finding" a waymark and so nobody cares about the "score". virtuals are exactly the same thing, only that there's a logging requirement so that you can claim your point.

However, it may be what Jeremy is thinking of is a way to integrate Waymarking and Geocaching better, so that cool locations are still listed as Waymarks but you'd be able to get them in one PQ along with Geocaches (and perhaps have them show in your statistics as well).

that would be pretty cool actually!

Excuse me while I go out and throw my tennis-shoes over the power wires. :D

One of my all time favourite things off of my 'awesome things seen while Geocaching' list is the pair of skates that I saw thrown over the hydro lines in downtown Hull :anicute:

As for the topic at hand, I propose this -

Bring back virtuals and direct those who don't like it to a tutorial on the 'ignore' feature. Those of us who genuinely enjoy virtuals win, while those who don't learn about an interesting feature of the site!

Great proposal As someone who loved virtuals I really miss them. As far as lame virtuals, I would not do a lame virtual, a lame micro or lame traditional.

ONe thing that someone needs to understand, you cannot make everyone hapy just decide and get it over with. You already removed virtuals, why bother bringing it back people will get tired of things coming and going as I would.

I don't mind virtuals or no virtuals but make it one or the other, stop toying with it.

It isn't a democracy, it is Jeremy's choice (or any of the other Lackeys) if they want to solicit your vote, they don't have to FTW.

I don't understand the "toying with it" comment. Virtuals went away when? They MAY come back when? A few years have passed since virtuals went away. I will be among the happy cachers if virtuals can come back in a new and improved form.

Excuse me while I go out and throw my tennis-shoes over the power wires. :anicute:

Sounds like that has sufficient "Wow Factor"! Go for it!

I've stayed in the dorms of the Maine Maritime Academy a couple of times for a sea kayaking symposium and just outside the dorms there were dozens of shoes thrown over the power wires. I assumed it was some sort of tradition. I'm not sure that's exactly a wow factor but I'd never seen that many shoes thrown over a power line before.

I've stayed in the dorms of the Maine Maritime Academy a couple of times for a sea kayaking symposium and just outside the dorms there were dozens of shoes thrown over the power wires. I assumed it was some sort of tradition. I'm not sure that's exactly a wow factor but I'd never seen that many shoes thrown over a power line before.

Ooh, sounds like a new virtual cache in the works. Funny thing is, even the wikipedia article is unsure about the shoes-on-powerlines thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing

Ooh, sounds like a new virtual cache in the works. Funny thing is, even the wikipedia article is unsure about the shoes-on-powerlines thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing

Why make it a virtual. Put a bison tube in one of the shoes in a tree like this. Rate it a 5/5.

shoetree3.jpg

As far as lame virtuals, I would not do a lame virtual, a lame micro or lame traditional.

the thing is that it takes at least a minimal amount of effort to put out a lame traditional. not so with virtuals, all you need to do is create the listing. if you pick the coords off google, you don't even need to leave the house.

As far as lame virtuals, I would not do a lame virtual, a lame micro or lame traditional.

the thing is that it takes at least a minimal amount of effort to put out a lame traditional. not so with virtuals, all you need to do is create the listing. if you pick the coords off google, you don't even need to leave the house.

Not with a good verification question. One of the fun things to do when we reviewed the virtuals of old was to nail the verification question with Google. We would then tell the person submitting the virtual that it would not fly the way it was.