New possible Bot alert

rockhead15

If anyone has proof this cacher is real please post it. So far some of the caches have been checked to find no signature of this cacher and they are logging like crazy in multiple states.

PowerCachingLtd

Can't be a bot. Look where he started.

I'd ask for the thread to be closed.

Don't give him the satisfaction.

Almost certainly a bot. No human can log multiple finds per minute.

Ahhh, I didn't think of it that way... :D

I looked at where the user in question started, recognized the name and several others from the forums, including me, and saw a pattern. :D

Now that you mention it, all the finds came in under 2 minutes. :D

The twerp that programmed it really needs to discover girls or rediscover his nintendo. :)

Edited by Snoogans

i was just about to start a thread about this

he/she/it has found 20 of my caches yesterday

i wouldn't have given it another thought if it wasn't for the log on a cache i have on an island accessible by boat only except that he didn't log the second one because is not listed under my name, i am co-owner

its obviously someone that is picking on certain users here

this one sure gets around :)

California

Texas

New York

Minnesota

Washington

Ontario, Canada ...18 of my caches

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default....44-19f65f3d0974

I have to wonder what the joke is? It just seems so pointless.

i suggest not deleting the logs just yet until the account is banned, maybe GC wants to see them

The logs are never actually deleted. They are more disconnected. If GS wants to see them they can.

if you look hard enough i'm sure you can see the funny side :)

all logs deleted now, gave my mouse some much needed exercise :D

Ahhh, I didn't think of it that way... :D

I looked at where the user in question started, recognized the name and several others from the forums, including me, and saw a pattern. :D

Now that you mention it, all the finds came in under 2 minutes. :D

The twerp that programmed it really needs to discover girls or rediscover his nintendo. :)

And moving out of his moms basement and getting some fresh air wouldn't hurt. :D

i suggest not deleting the logs just yet until the account is banned, maybe GC wants to see them

The logs are never actually deleted. They are more disconnected. If GS wants to see them they can.

Oh I think that it is funny that someone would waste that much effort logging all those caches. What I don't get is why concentrate on forum users. Making a statement? If so, what?

Oh I think that it is funny that someone would waste that much effort logging all those caches. What I don't get is why concentrate on forum users. Making a statement? If so, what?

LOL! :D:D:D

This is the email I sent at midnight: (after reporting him/it to Groundspeak)

-- Copy of email sent to PowerCachingLtd --

So you don't have anything better to do?

Girls...

Nintendo...

Just trying to understand your statement in so many bogus logs...

Well, the most single affected user seems to be the dog with glasses. He hasn't shown up yet, so maybe he's busy deleting logs. :D

Before deletions, I'll guess most (but certainly not all) of these caches belonged to these forum regulars:

Snoogans

JHolly

Knowschad

Gof and/or associated sock puppets

t4e

Hope I'm not leaving any of you lucky people out. :D

Well, the most single affected user seems to be the dog with glasses. He hasn't shown up yet, so maybe he's busy deleting logs. :D

Before deletions, I'll guess most (but certainly not all) of these caches belonged to these forum regulars:

Snoogans

JHolly

Knowschad

t4e

For the record. The only GC.com accounts I control that have active caches are the GOF & Bacall account and the GITBuff account. My original GOF1 account has a few archived caches on it yet.

Snoogans

JHolly

Knowschad

t4e

Dog w/glasses is aware.

Snoogans

JHolly

Knowschad

t4e

Hope I'm not leaving any of you lucky people out. :)

I deleted the logs on my caches.

Hope I'm not leaving any of you lucky people out.

(sniff....)

I'd have to count to be sure. I think I have about 70 active hides, plus one upcoming event.

The young miscreant bot logged finds on all of them except the event, which got a "tftc" note.

I'm thinking his mom enabled parental controls on his computer, so now he's got a lot of extra time on his hand(s).

A Premium Member could quite easily via Field Notes.
Even without field notes, it could be done easily with multiple browser tabs/windows. (Yes, I've been mistaken for a bot before...)
Hope I'm not leaving any of you lucky people out.

(sniff....)

I'd have to count to be sure. I think I have about 70 active hides, plus one upcoming event.

The young miscreant bot logged finds on all of them except the event, which got a "tftc" note.

I'm thinking his mom enabled parental controls on his computer, so now he's got a lot of extra time on his hand(s).

OK, I didn't see the thread until about 7:00 AM EST, and look at the since banned user's account. So we have Mr. T and Clan Riffster in addition to the 5 I listed. I remember someone did this in New Jersey a year or two ago (and on the day of a big snowstorm) probably just to see if someone was going to start a Mid-Atlantic forum thread (which they did).

So I suppose I've given the knucklehead more than enough publicity. Yuck out.

Snoogans

JHolly

Knowschad

t4e

Hope I'm not leaving any of you lucky people out. :)

A lot of the puzzle caches logged in California belonged to candcfamily and cachbefound. I'm not sure that either of them are forum regulars. Two of my caches were logged, and I'm definitely not a forum regular. All the caches I saw logged seemed to be in the same area (as if the bot logged everything based on a Nearest search).

Even though this account is gone, it looks like a new one has started up (attacking Hawaiian caches): JackBobBoy

Maybe there are more coming? I should probably add a note to all my caches that any log with just the text "tftc" is subject to immediate deletion without verification.

Oh, it's a little interesting how I found out about this joker last night.

So, I went out for an FTF on GC2FAJM last night. I put the cache on my watchlist, so that I would know whether somebody was logging the cache before I got to it (it had already been solved more than two hours earlier by three others). While I had the cache in hand and was signing the blank log, email arrived with PowerCachingLtd's log. Uh, I don't think so! :)

PowerCachingLtd is no longer an active account.

Thanks Brad. I know you can't say anything specific but were you guys able to determine who it was?

I cannot respond to the question, but I can say that JackBobBoy is no longer an active account.

I guess I had better keep an eye on this thread. :)

Thanks Brad. I know you can't say anything specific but were you guys able to determine who it was?

I cannot respond to the question, but I can say that JackBobBoy is no longer an active account.

I guess I had better keep an eye on this thread. ;)

Has there been any thought about cleaning up the bogus logs caused by this bot? Or is this gong to be strictly cache owners responsibility? I realize deleting logs with out the cache owners input could be a bit tricky.

I guess I had better keep an eye on this thread. ;)

I appreciate your quick response on this, especially on JackBobBoy. By the way, Brad, nice avatar.

Has there been any thought about cleaning up the bogus logs caused by this bot? Or is this gong to be strictly cache owners responsibility? I realize deleting logs with out the cache owners input could be a bit tricky.

We only take action on cache logs in limited situations such as profanity and personal attacks that violate the Terms of Use Agreement. Other than that, taking action on someone's cache page is out of bounds for us. I regret the burden this places on the affected cache owners.

We only take action on cache logs in limited situations such as profanity and personal attacks that violate the Terms of Use Agreement. Other than that, taking action on someone's cache page is out of bounds for us. I regret the burden this places on the affected cache owners.

No, that is fine and I appreciate the response. I think it is perfectly fine.

The reviewers can see deleted logs, don't worry about that.

I have one of the mini-fizzys that got tagged with a NM log. There is another bot sending out Needs Archived logs now

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1ZZPB

I see that user account has already been banned. The lackey in charge of handling this problem is doing a great job.

there is a new BOT out now, this time is posting NM logs

look at all the related caches

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1VZNV

I was wondering what that was about.

I checked on other puzzle caches in the area and found that one had an NA posted by a F0/H0 user that joined the same day:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1ZZPB

Looks like Beezerbuttkin doesn't care for this cache, either.

The lengths some people will go to just to prove they're a jack*ss is truly amazing.