POI Loader problem

My Garmin eTrex Vista HcX and Nuvi 350 units are suddenly no longer able to accept POI files. I’m using Garmin POI loader 2.54. I get errors that I’ve forwarded to Garmin. I get a different tech agent each time and they tend to repeat suggestions. Very frustrating.

I tried 1.1 files generated w/GSAK, I tried pocket query files from geocaching.com. I also tried changing my sim cards. I tried on another computer at my network.

When using GSAK generated gpx files, I get errors and a message that says to forward to Garmin tech support. I haven’t attached the message here, as it’s quite large.

When using a Pocket Query gpx file from geocaching.com, the screen on my eTrex Vista shows the "Transferring Data" message. However, POI loader error message is: "There was an error communicating with your device. please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device." With this message, my unit is stuck on "Transferring Data". Restarting gives same error.

Garmin tech support suggestions:

1: The APPLICATION.CPP error is usually caused by some type of conflict with another program.

When this error occurs in POI Loader, it is typically due to a temporary conflict. Try running POI Loader again and see if you receive the same error. If you do, the best recommendation is to uninstall the software and then reinstall. This includes going into the Windows registry and deleting the POI Loader keys.

Windows XP

2: In that case, the problem is most likely a corrupt POI file. I suggest redownloading the POI file and see if that corrects the problem. Where did you get your POIs from?

3: I would be happy to help you with this. The APPLICATION.CPP error is usually caused by some type of conflict with another program. In these cases, the best recommendation is to uninstall the software and then reinstall. This would include going into the Windows registry and deleting the POI LOADER keys.

4: I am sorry for the troubles. It must be the file itself that is the problem. Since we do not support GSAK I do not have good suggestions

for you. I suggest you download the Geocaches one at a time from the Geocache Site instead of trying to send a query through POI Loader since

technically POI's and Geocaches are not the same thing. Geocaches have additional data that the POI Loader may have trouble with. Please let

us know if you have any other questions.

5: I am happy to assist you. It appears you might be getting these errors due to the information inside the files you are trying to load through

PIOloader. unfortunately we cannot support these files that are created with 3rd party applications such as GSAK. I would suggest using a

garmin application such as Mapsource or Basecamp to recreate these gpx files and then try to load them manually or through POIloader. Feel

free to let me know if you have further questions or issues.

AFAIK, the data fed into poiloader is asc/csv , I might be wrong here.

Also and i don't geocache, I think data from GSAK is ready to go into the Gps without handling.

And I'm sure a simcard sits in a telephone and has nothing to do with gps data.

Edited by splashy

The eTrex Vista uses a microSD card.

The Nuvi accepts an SD card.

AFAIK, the data fed into poiloader is asc/csv , I might be wrong here.

Also and i don't geocache, I think data from GSAK is ready to go into the Gps without handling.

And I'm sure a simcard sits in a telephone and has nothing to do with gps data.

here's my method:

1. Palm T|X

2. Garmin Nuvi

3. Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx

4. Pocket Queries: http://www.geocaching.com/pocket

5. GSAK (Manage downloaded caching data in databases)

6. Garmin POI Loader (load waypoints to SatNav devices)

7. Cachemate Converter (saved queries to Palm TX)

8. Garmin MapSource or BaseCamp (to view files in map view)

Pocket Queries:

• Login to http://www.geocaching.com/pocket and run some queries which will be sent to the designated email address

• Receive the query and unzip it to the corresponding folder (C:\My Documents\Geocaching Resources\GPS Coordinates\pocketQuery)

GSAK:

o Open the unzipped GPX file in GSAK while having the corresponding database open

o Export as GPX file to corresponding folder/file (Riverside County North/Riverside County South, etc - C:\My Documents\Geocaching Resources\GPS Coordinates\gpx)

o Export to MapSource to view if desired

Garmin POI Loader:

o Run Garmin POI Loader for each SatNav device:

 Remove existing waypoints from device

 Install new waypoints to device

 Set Proximity alerts for:

• 200 ft - Nuvi

• 20 ft - eTrex Vista

Cachemate Converter:

o Run Cachemate Converter to convert GPX file (C:\My Documents\Geocaching Resources\GPS Coordinates\gpx) to PDB file for use in Palm T|X

 Before syncing Palm:

• In Cachemate on Palm, open database and delete existing records.

 After sync, open Cachemate on Palm and import data into database.

 Only add and run one Cachemate conversion at a time