A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Cache Game

Along the same lines as the Star Wars cach game; How about a game based on THGTTG and DA's other works? I did Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint Planet and have several more themed caches planned. There are quite a few Hitchhiker themed caches up and running already. It's time to start a network. Any takers? The Diver? Zaphod Beeblbrox? Beast of Traal? Bazzle?

BTW- I almost chose Zaphod Beeblebrox as my handle before picking Snoogans. That is why the name appears on my cache page.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

What a great idea. I was too late to get in on the Star Wars caches, but I could do some for HGTTG. The Puzzler has already placed 2 in Albuquerque: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=68547 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=71428

I only skimmed the Star Wars game. I didn't think it was too late. I have a TB that I want to send to those caches as a goal.

I'm more interested in setting up a Douglas Adam's themed network of caches and TB's. So many people already have stuff up and running that it just seemed like a logical step. I was surprised that there wasn't already a thread when I did a search. I wouldn't want to see a time limit. Although, a game within the network would be fun and I'm up for that. I'm sure someone would volunteer some rules and we could bat them around and then vote a consensus. I hadn't really thought that far ahead. I just wanted to throw the idea out there. This could really be fun.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

I'm game. Let me know what I can do over here in Oregon.

flir~girl

p.s. thanks to the guy who let me know about this thread. still trying to figure out why he thought i'd be into this? icon_wink.gif

"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"

quote:
Originally posted by flir~girl (Team WYSIWYG):

I'm game. Let me know what I can do over here in Oregon.

flir~girl

p.s. thanks to the guy who let me know about this thread. still trying to figure out why he thought i'd be into this? icon_wink.gif

_ "Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?" _

I meant to email you when I noticed your avatar over a month ago. Love the pic and I would like to know if I can use it on one of my Babel Fish TB pages? There is a link to one of them on my "Have any other TB's taken a pic with a famous person?" thread. There are a half dozen more B-Fish gettin ready to roll.

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

What a great idea. I was too late to get in on the Star Wars caches, but I could do some for HGTTG. The Puzzler has already placed 2 in Albuquerque: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=68547 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=71428

I only skimmed the Star Wars game. I didn't think it was too late. I have a TB that I want to send to those caches as a goal.

Well, I meant that the planets (caches) have already been set up.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:

Snoogans, I dropped you an email Thursday. Let me know if I need to resend it. Other than that, be my guest. I've got to find some of those fish!

flir~girl

Got the email. Haven't had much time to respond. Academy is where I got mine. It ain't easy gettin those hooks off. Feel free to use as much or little of the text from my TB page(s) as you wish.

Yep - I'm interested, too and waiting with baited breath.

I have DIBS on a towel travel bug. icon_wink.gif

< MissJenn scurries off quickly to do a search in case it already exists >

I did a quick search for obvious TBs: Snoogans, you already obviously know about yours. There are also these:

Arthur Dent http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=18389

Heart of Gold http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=22208

-- I recognize fun when I see it.

[This message was edited by MissJenn on June 11, 2003 at 11:58 AM.]

Incidentally, Dirk Gently would be the most successful, non-GPS-owning geocacher the galaxy has ever seen. From http://www.douglasadams.com :

quote:
Dirk Gently is a private detective who is more interested in telekinesis, quantum mechanics and lunch than fiddling around with fingerprint powder, so his investigations tend to produce startling and unexpected results. A simple search for a missing cat uncovers a bewildered ghost, a secret time-traveller, and the devastating secret that lies behind the whole human history and threatens to bring it to a premature end. Sadly the cat dies.

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

Yep - I'm interested, too and waiting with baited breath.

MissJenn, you've been eating BAIT? I thought those were noodles you were serving at the picnic last Sunday. Try worming your way out of THAT one. I'll be awaiting your response with bated breath.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:

Lep,

ANYthing wrapped in bacon is good food.

Besides, I do pretty well considering English is not my first language AND I have no babel fish!

-- _I recognize fun when I see it._

Wait....there was BACON and there was a nearby HYDROCACHE, and ClayJar still didn't show? How did that happen?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Wow! I thought this idea was going to die. Interest has been slow. Basically the idea is:

1. Start a network from the existing Douglas Adams themed caches and users.

2. Borrow each others material and perpetuate the themes all over the world.

3. Figure out how to make it all into a fun side game. Unlike Star Wars, the merchandise is not readily available. Improvisation will be more fun anyway.

4. Keep track of everything here on this thread.

5. Don't wait on me. I want this idea to take on a life of its own.

BTW- The Dirk Gently stuff belongs here too. I haven't written any ideas on DG stuff yet, but I will.

My next DA projects are: The Total Perspective Vortex (From which I will be launching my Zaphod Beeblebrox TB.) The Megabrantis Cluster, The Frogstar, Megadodo Publications, (bookcrossing cache) A Bowl of Petunias & a Very Surprised Looking Whale, The Salmon of Doubt, Simply Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss, Never Throw a Q Into a Privet Bush, The "B" Ark, etc.

Anyone wishing to "copy-cache" is welcome once I have the projects complete.icon_cool.gif

quote:

quote:

3. Figure out how to make it all into a fun side game.

Don't look at me! That's why I looked at you!

-- _I recognize fun when I see it._

I'm workin on it. Let's see if we can get the network started first. This TB forum runs really slow. I should have placed it in the General forum.

Snoogans, If you want it to go faster, you can post a new thread over there saying "Don't reply here, reply THERE in the original thread."

Also icon_smile.gif, just more of my 2 cents, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way:

It also might go a tad faster if you just GAVE these FABULOUS cache name ideas away - rather than asking people to wait until you set it up first and then they can copy it.

Thoughts?

quote:
My next DA projects are: The Total Perspective Vortex ... The Megabrantis Cluster, The Frogstar, Megadodo Publications, (bookcrossing cache) A Bowl of Petunias & a Very Surprised Looking Whale, The Salmon of Doubt, Simply Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss, Never Throw a Q Into a Privet Bush, The "B" Ark, etc.

Anyone wishing to "copy-cache" is welcome once I have the projects complete.

emphasis mine

-- Said the one who called dibs on the towel.

quote:

Also icon_smile.gif, just more of my 2 cents, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way:

It also might go a tad faster if you just GAVE these FABULOUS cache name ideas away - rather than asking people to wait until you set it up first and then they can copy it.

Thoughts?

quote:
My next DA projects are: The Total Perspective Vortex ... The Megabrantis Cluster, The Frogstar, Megadodo Publications, (bookcrossing cache) A Bowl of Petunias & a Very Surprised Looking Whale, The Salmon of Doubt, Simply Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss, Never Throw a Q Into a Privet Bush, The "B" Ark, etc.

Anyone wishing to "copy-cache" is welcome _once I have the projects complete.

_

_emphasis mine_

-- Said the one who called dibs on the towel.

By all means; Please take what you want. If it will start the ball rolling. Douglas Adams deserves the credit. Not me. This is just a fun creative outlet for me and not considered intellectual property of mine alone. As I stated previously; I want this to take on a life of its own. There is soooo much material in his works that just using the titles will get old.

BTW- I have 2 ideas for games that need to be fleshed out.

Lintilla Vs. Allitnil (from the original radio program)

and...

Invasion of the Guguvents(sp?) and Vl'Hurgs (after they worked through the digestive system of that small dog)

Another cache title: S.E.P. (Sombody Else's Problem) I plan to use this for a cache with a unique camo job.

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:By all means; Please take what you want. If it will start the ball rolling. Douglas Adams deserves the credit. Not me. This is just a fun creative outlet for me and not considered intellectual property of mine alone. As I stated previously; I want this to take on a life of its own. There is soooo much material in his works that just using the titles will get old.

BTW- I have 2 ideas for games that need to be fleshed out.

Lintilla Vs. Allitnil (from the original radio program)

and...

Invasion of the Guguvents(sp?) and Vl'Hurgs (after they worked through the digestive system of that small dog)

Another cache title: S.E.P. (Sombody Else's Problem) I plan to use this for a cache with a unique camo job.

Here I be, SnoogMan!

All of these ideas sound as cool as Hot Black's concert of Kakrafoon.... icon_cool.gif

P

carpe cerevisi

Remove the NOSPAM from my e-mail to contact me.

I have decided to leave this thread on the travel bug forum because it will stay closer to the top of the page and hopefully get more reads from casual observers who might join in.......

Starting the network:

Search your local areas for Hitchhiker related caches, travel bugs, and users then post them here. Like so:

Dont Panic! #1

Don' Panic! #2

Don't Panic!#3

Don't Panic #4

Don't Panic! #5

These are all by The Diver, in Austin. I happen to be going there for an event cache this weekend. Anyone interested in hittin these with me?

This TB from MissJenn is just a hoot:

A Towel....LoL I love it!

This idea just might get off of the ground!

OK, First Game: (not much time to type it all up today.)

Who knows who and what the Lintilla are? and the Allitnil?

Short answer: From the original radio series, clones of opposite poles who cancel eachother out.

This would be a game of independant hitchhikers with notes attached to be taken out of the game when 2, of opposite poles, arrive at the same cache, any cache, but their collective goal would be to visit caches in the network.

They are all supposed to be identical with the exception of positive and negative.

I was thinking of a female, futuristic graphic with reversed views to be posted on this thread. Then you just print it and laminate it and send it on its way.

Comments, suggestions, ideas.........Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

quote:

From the original radio series, clones of opposite poles who cancel eachother out.

I just read the books - never saw any HGTTG on any other medium.

quote:

This would be a game of independant hitchhikers with notes attached to be taken out of the game when 2, of opposite poles, arrive at the same cache, any cache, but their collective goal would be to visit caches in the network.

icon_wink.gif Sounds like you'd need the Improbability Drive in the Heart of Gold before anyone would get taken out! icon_smile.gif Seriously, it's hard enough just trying to get a normal TB to reach it's goal. (Am I too bitter?)

Initially, I thought it would be cool for two TBs to meet, so that, say, Arthur Dent would finally get a towel (or any combination of 2 TBs). Then I was thinking I would feel lucky to just have my towel get to ANY cache with the HGTTG theme to it....

I don't know how much fun this is going to be. I mean, we all know where the first cache is, right? On display in an unused basement bathroom with a sign on the door that says "Beware of Leopard."

And then I guess the second one would be on a strange and alien planet. Pity it's such a dump.

And then the third could be in the fjords... And MARVIN could be the fourth!

Okay, this could be fun after all.

How about a cache or TB for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged? He could go around insulting everyone and people would have to find him in alphabetical order. If they didn't stick to alphabetical order, they get insulted again. What does he care? He's immortal!

quote:
Originally posted by sherk:

How about a cache or TB for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged? He could go around insulting everyone and people would have to find him in alphabetical order. If they didn't stick to alphabetical order, they get insulted again. What does he care? He's immortal!

An immortal TB......Lol

Very cool idea. I bet it would translate better to a cache.......?

quote:

Am I too bitter?

The ghost of Alec Guinness is calling out for you to, "Let go....." icon_wink.gif

Then again, lots of TB's have the lifespan of a mayfly.

Great idea, count me in. Our The Hitchhikers Guide TB is sadly MIA. I picked up another copy just a few days ago and planned to restart it using the copy tag. Will be a bit of a jump in location however as were now living in England.

Thanks MissJenn for bringing this tread to my attention, off now to find a nice hot cup of Brownian Motion Generators.

Zcat.

Geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by Zcat:

Great idea, count me in. Our http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=445 is sadly MIA. I picked up another copy just a few days ago and planned to restart it using the copy tag. Will be a bit of a jump in location however as were now living in England.

Thanks MissJenn for bringing this tread to my attention, off now to find a nice hot cup of Brownian Motion Generators.

Zcat.

Geocachers

Lol...Welcome aboard Zcat!

quote:

I have DIBS on a towel travel bug. icon_wink.gif

Not quite the same thing but I picked up a travel bug GeoGus an alien hitchhiker and he has a towel with him in his intergalactic travel pod.

Just thought you might like to know that.

Have boots and GPSr, will cache for fun!

quote:
Originally posted by The Diver:

Now that MissJenn kicked me in the head and let me know about this thread, count me in.

Alan

aka The Diver

Nice meetin ya today Dive guy! Welcome to the disorganized madness. Doh! I didn't realize that we had already met. icon_razz.gif

icon_biggrin.gif That event was a blast!!! You missed the best part when we nearly sunk bbelk's the party boat. icon_eek.gif Did ya hear about it before you left?

quote:
Nice meetin ya today Dive guy! Welcome to the disorganized madness. Doh! I didn't realize that we had already met.

Yep. I believe it was at the Texas Challenge.

quote:
That event was a blast!!! You missed the best part when we nearly sunk bbelk's the party boat.

I was on the boat when Grajek's Legend was swept overboard. The boat was way overloaded.

Hope to see you at the next event.

Alan

aka The Diver

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

Not quite the same thing but I picked up a travel bug GeoGus an alien hitchhiker and he has a towel with him in his intergalactic travel pod.

No doubt, this bug's owner has read at least some of these books.

Diver, I got your email. I am not sure when to release my towel TB. I am waiting for Snoogan's game to take more shape. I figured I'd want to release it at an appropriate spot AND attach some sort of explanatory note to it - but first I have to know what the game's rules are.

Hey All,

I'm hittin the road for about 6 weeks. I should hit my 100th cache and then some before I return. I'll be online not nearly as much, so if anyone else wants to try something or offer some ideas for rules; be my guest. I'm still working ideas over.

MissJenn, Thanks for keeping the ball rolling. I think you should release The Towel with a goal to see HGTTG related caches and users. I never had any designs on any games that were strictly win/lose like the cannonball TB race. The 2 games that I had in mind were to be more statistical in nature so anyone could join at any time, unlike the cannonball, or Star Wars games.

I'm sure we can develop a game that resembles the cannonball race, but not exactly a coast to coast race. Maybe cache to cache in a specific order in relation to what part of the world in which you release it, while keeping the general chaos of the books in mind.

The main thing is to keep building the network till we all agree on a workable game(s).

Has anyone found any more caches to post here, or hidden any?

BTW- I'm hiding a Frogstar cache and a Veet Voojagig's Wormhole near my sister, MtnFrog's, house in Mammoth Lakes, California. Possibly another VV Wormhole cache near my sister, JusMeLP's house in Santa Fe, NM. They will be able to check on the caches between my visits. I may even drop a Wormhole near my Mom's house in the Laughlin/Bullhead area. That's on the Arizona side of the river. My Megadodo Publications cache will be placed in August upon my return home. I'm still looking for the bowl of petunias for my, A bowl of petunias and a very surprised looking whale, cache. I have a purple sperm whale already. (I certainly hope no one replies to that last sentence out of context. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif ) My ZB/tb is ready and will be released in August as well, from my Total Perspective Vortex cache.

[This message was edited by Snoogans on June 23, 2003 at 08:59 PM.]

quote:

you should release The Towel with a goal to see HGTTG related caches and users.

I myself am doing some sporadic traveling throughout several areas of this particular planet, before the Vogons arrive and clear it away for a bypass. It would be prudent for me to bring along a towel while I am en route. I've decided to release this towel to the wild after I get back to home base in mid-August.

Welcome Zaphod! I knew you would get here eventually. Got any ideas?

BTW- The Frogstar and Veet Voojagig's Wormhole #1 will be submitted for approval this week thanks to MtnFrog and Camel who will be performing cache maintenance between my visits.

The network is growing!!!!!

Does this remind you of anyone in particular?

My towel and I recently picked up Rocky the Rocking Horse travel bug. His TB page mentions that he has his own website. Check it out. Wait a second and read. Who does that remind you of? icon_biggrin.gif

(Hint: worked as a parking attendant at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe for a few hundred years)

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-)

[This message was edited by MissJenn on August 01, 2003 at 09:26 AM.]

quote:

_Does this remind you of anyone in particular?_

My towel and I recently picked up http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=4376 the Rocking Horse travel bug. His TB page mentions that http://www.qsl.net/kk6aw/geocache.htm. Check it out. Wait a second and read. Who does that remind you of? icon_biggrin.gif

(Hint: worked as a parking attendant at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe for a few hundred years)

-- _I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-) _

[This message was edited by MissJenn on August 01, 2003 at 09:26 AM.]

Now that was pretty darn funny. This type of stuff is everywhere once you start looking.

My next batch of caches will be ready in a month or so. I'm still looking for a bowl of petunias for my, "A Bowl of Petunias and a Very Surprised Looking Whale," cache. Any ideas? I've looked for doll furnature, but I really think I'll end up using a laminated picture with a voice bubble that says, "Oh no. Not again." Check my profile for my latest caches in the network until I have time to post the links.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThink parallel branes and five dimensions. Science never sounded so cool....

quote:

quote:

I'm game. still trying to figure out why he thought i'd be into this?

I meant to email you when I noticed your avatar over a month ago. Love the pic ...

Unfortunately, my eyes ain't what they used to be.

Could someone post a larger version of the

14490_700.jpg

Thanks.

I hope that someday we will be able to put away

our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.