iPhone v4.2 Release Notes

JYoungman

Hello everyone! This is a list of changes and bug fixes in the latest version of the iPhone app (version 4.2). Please let us know if you encounter any issues with any of these changes. All unrelated issues should be reported on our feedback site located at: http://feedback.geocaching.com. Thanks!

New Features:

* Added brand new full translations for German, French, Dutch, Japanese, and Czech.

* Implemented full support for device’s locale. This ensures dates, times, and numbers respect the locale set for the device.

* Support for iPhone 4’s retinal display. Most graphics have high-res versions used for iPhone 4.

* When opening a Geocaching.com webpage within the app, you are now logged in automatically.

* Set up fitting modes on map to track your position as you move.

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed the formatting of HTML descriptions so that images appear at the right size and the description fits on the screen well.

* Fixed a few bugs in the pocket query system caused by various anomalies in GPX files.

* Fixed a bug that prevented coord.info links from opening properly on all devices.

Hello everyone! This is a list of changes and bug fixes in the latest version of the iPhone app (version 4.2). Please let us know if you encounter any issues with any of these changes. All unrelated issues should be reported on our feedback site located at: http://feedback.geocaching.com. Thanks!

New Features:

* Added brand new full translations for German, French, Dutch, Japanese, and Czech.

* Implemented full support for device’s locale. This ensures dates, times, and numbers respect the locale set for the device.

* Support for iPhone 4’s retinal display. Most graphics have high-res versions used for iPhone 4.

* When opening a Geocaching.com webpage within the app, you are now logged in automatically.

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed the formatting of HTML descriptions so that images appear at the right size and the description fits on the screen well.

* Fixed a few bugs in the pocket query system caused by various anomalies in GPX files.

* Fixed a bug that prevented coord.info links from opening properly on all devices.

I have an iPhone 3GS. Until the Update yesterday, the 4.1.3 App (and previous versions) worked well. Now, after the 4.2 update, this thing is INCREDIBLY SLOW AND SLUGGISH (The GC App, nothing else on the iPhone).

I worked with it last night, grabbing a few caches, but this was BEYOND annoying and unsettling.

HOW do i DOWNGRADE back to 4.1.3? I like the "improved graphics", but the FUNCTIONALITY has taken a MAJOR hit with the "support for the Retina display". iPhone 3GS doesn't obviously have the Retina display, and i can't imagine what it's gonna run like on an iPhone 3G, which is slower than the 3GS.

IF there's an OPTION for "Hi-Res" vs. "Low-Res", that would be good. After trying to do 5 caches last night, i wanted to delete the app off my phone and just try to use the Safari Browser.

I know it's hard to support everything, and it's even harder to please everyone.

The only thing I have to Geocache with is my iPhone (Unless i do it old-school, and thats not why i paid for the GC App).

Maybe others have had better luck with it.... maybe.

New Features:

Bug Fixes:

I have an iPhone 3GS. Until the Update yesterday, the 4.1.3 App (and previous versions) worked well. Now, after the 4.2 update, this thing is INCREDIBLY SLOW AND SLUGGISH (The GC App, nothing else on the iPhone).

I worked with it last night, grabbing a few caches, but this was BEYOND annoying and unsettling.

HOW do i DOWNGRADE back to 4.1.3? I like the "improved graphics", but the FUNCTIONALITY has taken a MAJOR hit with the "support for the Retina display". iPhone 3GS doesn't obviously have the Retina display, and i can't imagine what it's gonna run like on an iPhone 3G, which is slower than the 3GS.

IF there's an OPTION for "Hi-Res" vs. "Low-Res", that would be good. After trying to do 5 caches last night, i wanted to delete the app off my phone and just try to use the Safari Browser.

I know it's hard to support everything, and it's even harder to please everyone.

The only thing I have to Geocache with is my iPhone (Unless i do it old-school, and thats not why i paid for the GC App).

I have a 3GS with iOS 4.1 and I haven' noticed any significant slowness since upgrading a few days ago. What parts of the app are slow to you? initial loading? searching? pulling up details for a cache? (all the above? :^) did you reboot your phone after installing?

New Features:

Bug Fixes:

I have a 3GS with iOS 4.1 and I haven' noticed any significant slowness since upgrading a few days ago. What parts of the app are slow to you? initial loading? searching? pulling up details for a cache? (all the above? :^) did you reboot your phone after installing?

Yes, I rebooted / power-cycled my iPhone after the install. I researched how to downgrade apps, and even tried to follow the instructions for that, however because the 4.1.3 app was already out of my Recycle Bin (Windows), i tried to use my wife's 4.1.3 (Copied from her iTunes library).

Since it wasn't "mine" (bought on my iTunes account), it didn't work.

So i completely removed the 4.2 app from my iPhone.... and re-downloaded it.

All my settings, favorites, everything... gone.

I haven't tried it since that point except for looking up a couple GC's... but no finds as i was busy all day Thursday.

Will try it more today.... but it's been frustrating since it all worked and i had all the data before i updated to 4.2.

Yes, I rebooted / power-cycled my iPhone after the install. I researched how to downgrade apps, and even tried to follow the instructions for that, however because the 4.1.3 app was already out of my Recycle Bin (Windows), i tried to use my wife's 4.1.3 (Copied from her iTunes library).

I haven't tried it since that point except for looking up a couple GC's... but no finds as i was busy all day Thursday.

Will try it more today.... but it's been frustrating since it all worked and i had all the data before i updated to 4.2.

hope it works out for you.. I stopped and grabbed a cache on my way to work this morning.. the app was very responsive and got me within three feet of the cache..

hope it works out for you.. I stopped and grabbed a cache on my way to work this morning.. the app was very responsive and got me within three feet of the cache..

P.S. You should probably go over to the feedback site to post this.. that way GS can be made aware of it.. as they state above, this thread is not really for posting bug reports other then the features that were addressed in this release.

I recently "upgraded" my iphone to ios04.2.1....using the released golden master (which apple is due to release anyday). I think this may be causing the problems for me. Has anyone else changed there iphone's operating system to either 4.2 or 4.2.1 and having problems?

[Please note that the application v4.2 upgrade and Apple's Ios4.2 are simialr names hear which two different meanings....so there is no confusion]

TY

Mike

:anibad:

P.S. You should probably go over to the feedback site to post this.. that way GS can be made aware of it.. as they state above, this thread is not really for posting bug reports other then the features that were addressed in this release.

I also had various problems when I update from version 4.1.3 to 4.2.

I solved this by completely uninstalling Geocaching from the iPhone. Then updating the app in iTunes on my PC, then re-sync-ing the iPhone with iTunes so that the new version is installed on the iPhone.

Obviously I lost any my settings and saved items but that was easily remedied.

I had a feeling that doing it the 'update' way on the iPhone itself did not completely replace all the older version files with the newer ones.

I hope this helps someone.

Bill.

I solved this by completely uninstalling Geocaching from the iPhone. Then updating the app in iTunes on my PC, then re-sync-ing the iPhone with iTunes so that the new version is installed on the iPhone.

I had a feeling that doing it the 'update' way on the iPhone itself did not completely replace all the older version files with the newer ones.

Bill.

This is another of the annoyances with this Updated Version.... my "Destination" according to the Map Distance (Search-->Map and/or Compass) show 5,000+ miles.

The Destination Coordinates are ALL ZEROS (Atlantic Ocean, SW of Africa).

Here's a ScreenShot:

IMG_8765.png

It's still slow, it's still buggy... and no, i dont have an iPhone 4. It was working fine before i did the 4.2 App Upgrade.

And i -DID- completely UNINSTALL the App from my phone, and re-download the app again, and re-install it.

I'm stymied.... and my 4.1.3 version is long gone....

thanks.

Edited by RayQix

I have an iPhone 4, and am having this bizzare Africa problem. I've restarted my phone a few times and it doesn't fix it. The upgraded ap had been working OK, except for one time when it crashed my phone. When I upgraded to iOS 4.2, the Africa thing happened. When I go to navigate to a geocache, it shows the world and points me to Africa :laughing: The blue dot and green destination point are in the right places, however. But I can't navigate to the cache.

I guess I'll try deleting it and reinstalling.

Regarding the Africa problem, I rebooted while running the app, afterwards the "navigate to geocache" displayed correctly. But when I selected a new geocache the display showed the off the west coast of Africa location.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Hartpack

My main problem still with the 'Geocaching App' is when is frequently seems to loose it's GPS 'lock' or something like that when navigating and walking towards a cache location. Quite randomly the pulsating blue GPS 'dot' will stop moving as I walk. The app itself is not 'locked' though. Even restarting the Geocaching app does not make it regain it's GPS lock. It is not a problem with the phone or it's 'location services' because if I start up another Navigation App the GPS works fine. The only way to resolve this and reset it seems to be re=boot the phone.

I know this has been mentioned on the iPhone App 'blog' but not sure what attention it is being given. I'm not sure either if it existed before the recent update.

Bill.

I know what the Africa thing is. The program is going to a default coordinate N 00 00.000 and W 00 00.000 when in Settings you choose My Home Location. I guess there is a programming bug. Guess we'll have to wait for 4.3.................

Well, I tried rebooting while running the ap, and reinstalling the ap. It still wants me to go to Africa :laughing:

Has anyone figured out a way to downgrade to the previous version? As for the settings you mentioned, is there something I can change that will fix it?

My main problem still with the 'Geocaching App' is when is frequently seems to loose it's GPS 'lock' or something like that when navigating and walking towards a cache location. Quite randomly the pulsating blue GPS 'dot' will stop moving as I walk. The app itself is not 'locked' though. Even restarting the Geocaching app does not make it regain it's GPS lock. It is not a problem with the phone or it's 'location services' because if I start up another Navigation App the GPS works fine. The only way to resolve this and reset it seems to be re=boot the phone.

I know this has been mentioned on the iPhone App 'blog' but not sure what attention it is being given. I'm not sure either if it existed before the recent update.

Bill.

I had that happen last weekend right after I upgraded. I kept going in and out of the ap, and it wouldn't lock. Even rebooting the phone didn't work. Then later that day I tried to go to another geocache, and it was working fine.

nah, everytime I try to navigate to cache, I get the Africa thing happening too. What a pain in the butt!!!! :( Hope the fix comes soon.

The only way that i found to DOWNGRADE the app was do still have the 4.1.3 in your iTunes App folder (or your Recycle Bin (Windows)).

SINCE i didn't, it was gone and i can't get it back.

BELIEVE ME I'D LOVE TO HAVE THAT BACK BECAUSE IT WORKED.

AGAIN, having the "Retina" graphics is nice, BUT NOT IF THE THING DOESNT WORK RIGHT.

Ditto on wishing I could go back to the old revision on my 3Gs. My first indication of slowness was when I was trying to type a log entry and every character entry took seconds. It was SO annoying. Groundspeak, you need to not release an "upgrade" that isn't fully tested on all iPhones, or else give us 3Gs folks a different set of app choices.

Bill.

This is another of the annoyances with this Updated Version.... my "Destination" according to the Map Distance (Search-->Map and/or Compass) show 5,000+ miles.

The Destination Coordinates are ALL ZEROS (Atlantic Ocean, SW of Africa).

Here's a ScreenShot:

IMG_8765.png

It's still slow, it's still buggy... and no, i dont have an iPhone 4. It was working fine before i did the 4.2 App Upgrade.

And i -DID- completely UNINSTALL the App from my phone, and re-download the app again, and re-install it.

I'm stymied.... and my 4.1.3 version is long gone....

thanks.

i have a iphone 4` this new update is crap!!! says im 7789 miles from my hunt !! IM not in africa! wtf?!?! 10.00 app and you get this bull? Fix this now!! I wanna cache today but not with this crappy what used to be good app!

hurry up and fix this !

Oh yeah and its running slower then ever before ! Like 3g style. old scholl and slow! LETs go you guys!!!

i have a iphone 4` this new update is crap!!! says im 7789 miles from my hunt !! IM not in africa! wtf?!?! 10.00 app and you get this bull? Fix this now!! I wanna cache today but not with this crappy what used to be good app!

hurry up and fix this !

Oh yeah and its running slower then ever before ! Like 3g style. old scholl and slow! LETs go you guys!!!

have you reported your issues on the feedback site? these forums are OK for ranting, and maybe getting help from a fellow user, but if you want to be heard by the GS dev team, you need to post on the feedback site.

good luck

p.s. if geocaching means that much to you and you can't patiently wait for a fix, my advice is to buy a dedicated GPS unit as you will ALWAYS have issues with a smartphone based app.. whether it be iPhone, Droid, Winodws 7 phone etc.. they are multi-function devices that don't really do any one thing particularly well - although for the most part the apps work as advertised for the majority of users

Edited by happy deac0n

Ditto on wishing I could go back to the old revision on my 3Gs. My first indication of slowness was when I was trying to type a log entry and every character entry took seconds. It was SO annoying. Groundspeak, you need to not release an "upgrade" that isn't fully tested on all iPhones, or else give us 3Gs folks a different set of app choices.

Typing..... searching..... logging.....

Yeah, it's all slow.

Typing..... searching..... logging.....

Yeah, it's all slow.

Updated to 4.2.1 - Seems more responsive, and cured the navigation to the equator...

Walkingwood

:)

Updated just in time for the MSGA meeting today......so happy to not be 6000+ miles from a cache :sad:

YAY... not 6000+ miles from a Cache.

BOO.... GC 4.2.1 update is now HANGING my iphone and LOCATION SERVICES is staying on.... thereby causing a REBOOT even when i task-manager (the iPhone version) out the GC App.

This.... is better.... but still no-go if it causes my phone to reboot. :laughing:

I am using the iPhone 3GS and this release 4.2.1 seems to be non-responsive and will hang up on the coordinates where I last used the app. This is with my Source Settings set at My Device GPS.

I have tried re-booting the app and then the iPhone but will not respond. Any reasons for this or recommendations on how to get back to original speed?

Me and my boyfriend both have iPhone 3GS but with the version 4 software. After the second last and this last update our found caches are not filtered out, even though we've chosen not to include them in the settings. Anyone else having this problem? It's getting very frustrating indeed!

Me and my boyfriend both have iPhone 3GS but with the version 4 software. After the second last and this last update our found caches are not filtered out, even though we've chosen not to include them in the settings. Anyone else having this problem? It's getting very frustrating indeed!

Since i didn't realize how much problems i'd have with the 4.2.x app.... and i emptied my Recycle Bin....

Can I PLEASE HAVE THE 4.1.3 APP BACK??? I'm stuck suffering through iTunes and it wont allow me to use someone else's "ipa" file (the filetype that iTunes/iPhone uses) since i didn't technically purchase "their" app.

SPEED and FUNCTIONALITY ARE MORE PREFERRED OVER HOW THE DOGGONE THING LOOKS.

That issue is apparently being OVERLOOKED....

No, I dont have another device to use for Geocaching.... because i have my iPhone and it worked AT ONE TIME.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us the functionality back.... DONT "upgrade" the Graphics to "look better" on the Retina Display (iPhone 4).

If it DOESNT FUNCTION, It's USELESS.

try logging in to your account again (Menu/Settings). This happened to me as well on a recent update.. after re-entering my username and password, it correctly excluded my finds.

I am using the iPhone 3GS and this release 4.2.1 seems to be non-responsive and will hang up on the coordinates where I last used the app. This is with my Source Settings set at My Device GPS.

I have tried re-booting the app and then the iPhone but will not respond. Any reasons for this or recommendations on how to get back to original speed?

I am seeing this on my iPhone 4/GC app 4.2.1 as well. It's really frustrating when you fire up the app - even after rebooting the phone - to find it insists on centering your search on another state, because you were there yesterday. Once I actually get the darn thing over to my actual location it's fine.

This is not a device GPS problem either, as Google Maps, Latitude, Latitudie, Foursquare, Waze all have me bang on when the GC.app pulls this little stunt.

I am seeing this on my iPhone 4/GC app 4.2.1 as well. It's really frustrating when you fire up the app - even after rebooting the phone - to find it insists on centering your search on another state, because you were there yesterday. Once I actually get the darn thing over to my actual location it's fine.

This is not a device GPS problem either, as Google Maps, Latitude, Latitudie, Foursquare, Waze all have me bang on when the GC.app pulls this little stunt.

Mine does this strange thing when I choose "Find nearby caches" after leaving the app open for a while. It will tell me I haven't updated my coordinates in a while and would I like to:

- use my old coordinates

- use my old coordinate always ... or

- "cancel"

Hmmm... well, how 'bout just updating my coordinates, please? There doesn't seem to be an option for that (?). But if I exit the app (put it in the background) then open it again from the task list (or whatever it's called) it will then update my coordinates.

I think this is new (and odd) behavior.

Also, when I then swipe to scroll through the nearby cache list, the scrolling is very stuttering/jumpy. I would think that seems to indicate some sort of resource issue. This is on a iPhone 4, with no other apps currently running. And NO, I haven't been "abusing my iPhone" as a poster above suggested must be the case if you're seeing app issues. :anicute:

Edited by kmarsh
:P Went out caching today, and while the app gives me my gps current location, it won't find nearby geocaches, tells me I have a communication issuer, There was an issue connecting to Geocaching.com, please try again! I have been trying for 7 hours, wasted a day out as I couldn't get to anything. I re-booted my iphone, I have a solid 4 bars, everything else works, email, on line games, etc., but won't find caches!!!! What's up????

:P Went out caching today, and while the app gives me my gps current location, it won't find nearby geocaches, tells me I have a communication issuer, There was an issue connecting to Geocaching.com, please try again! I have been trying for 7 hours, wasted a day out as I couldn't get to anything. I re-booted my iphone, I have a solid 4 bars, everything else works, email, on line games, etc., but won't find caches!!!! What's up????

It sounds to me like those that were trying to access the web site while it was down for maintenance would experience these problems. Try again now that the site is back up and running.

Having exactly the same issue as sandbetweenmytoes.

Site has been up for the day and still no love on the IPAD.

its working fine for me though still slow - it takes anywhere from sixty seconds to two minutes to acquire location fix once the app loads. It does help as others have suggested, to load the app, then press your home button to go to the iPhone desktop, then double tap the home button to go back to the app..

lame, but it works

:) Went out caching today, and while the app gives me my gps current location, it won't find nearby geocaches, tells me I have a communication issuer, There was an issue connecting to Geocaching.com, please try again! I have been trying for 7 hours, wasted a day out as I couldn't get to anything. I re-booted my iphone, I have a solid 4 bars, everything else works, email, on line games, etc., but won't find caches!!!! What's up????

I'm seeing exactly the same thing. It happens every time I launch the app. After several attempts, it finally connects and gives the search results and then behave until the app is restarted.

This seems to coincide with the recent Web Site Maintenance and NOT the upgrade to the app.

This needs attention.

Will this thread get the attention of the Web site devs or should the issue be raised elsewhere?.

Bill.

I normally search with a Garmin 62xs and use the i-Phone 3GS to check for newer logs than what I've loaded and to log my finds. Today the i-Phone was totally useless as a resource for Geocaching. It made and received phone calls, sent and received text messages, and did whatever else I needed it to do, but it either failed to connect to GC.com entirely or connected and established a position but would go no further. This happened repeatedly, and it didn't seem to matter if I had one bar, five bars, or wi-fi connectivity.

So I'll say it again: useless! I sincerely hope that whatever magic appears this coming week includes a fix. I know better than to expect either an acknowledgement that there is a problem or (gasp) any sort of apology.

PLEASE....PLEASE give us back the FUNCTIONALITY of the App.

EVEN if you have a "switch" to change from "Hi-Res" (i.e. Retina Display) to "Lo-Res" graphics.

Having the app WORK is MUCH MUCH MUCH more important to me (and i'm sure others) than having the thing NOT work properly, or at all (in some cases).

I don't have any other way to Geocache. I ONLY have the iPhone and iPhone app. I enjoy the heck out of GC'ing...but this is making it very difficult and disheartening to try to get some good Caching in when the App is chugging-along and not working right.

It's slow, it's not working right, and having the thing "look pretty" for the iPhone 4's Retina Display while taking-away the functionality of the thing just is wrong.

PLEASE FIX THIS SOON....NOW! :(

-- RayQix -- Metro Detroit Michigan --

It has been a few days since the last post saying there were issues with the App.

I'm just wondering if it has all been resolved and properly updated/fixed etc as I have just got an iPhone today (hooray!!! :lol: ) and am considering buying the app. Have trialled the free "intro" version and that seems to be ok. Hoping the "real" version is working now too.

I have been using a Magellan Explorist, but I'm excited that the iPhone has all the cache info in my hand and on-call!!

Looking forward to some good news....!!!

It has been a few days since the last post saying there were issues with the App.

I'm just wondering if it has all been resolved and properly updated/fixed etc as I have just got an iPhone today (hooray!!! :lol: ) and am considering buying the app. Have trialled the free "intro" version and that seems to be ok. Hoping the "real" version is working now too.

I use the latest version from the iTunes store on an iPhone 4, and really enjoy it. I have one minor issue when I'm viewing logs and tap the "view on GC.com" button, getting a "page not found error," but I think that's related to the site updates from a couple weeks ago and is very minor. Other than that, the app works perfectly for me.

PLEASE....PLEASE give us back the FUNCTIONALITY of the App.

EVEN if you have a "switch" to change from "Hi-Res" (i.e. Retina Display) to "Lo-Res" graphics.

Having the app WORK is MUCH MUCH MUCH more important to me (and i'm sure others) than having the thing NOT work properly, or at all (in some cases).

I don't have any other way to Geocache. I ONLY have the iPhone and iPhone app. I enjoy the heck out of GC'ing...but this is making it very difficult and disheartening to try to get some good Caching in when the App is chugging-along and not working right.

It's slow, it's not working right, and having the thing "look pretty" for the iPhone 4's Retina Display while taking-away the functionality of the thing just is wrong.

PLEASE FIX THIS SOON....NOW! :(

-- RayQix -- Metro Detroit Michigan --

Did you post your issue on the Feedback site? Because, seriously, this is by far the worst plea for help I've ever read. You don't explain at all what's happening aside from it's slow and it's not working. It works just fine on my iPhone 4, my bro's 3GS, and my cube-mate's 3G and iPad. Version 4.2 did a lot more than just add Retina Display-compatible graphics, you know. The problem is the more features they incorporate, the more bloated the app becomes, and this will lead to decreased performance on the older hardware. Also, iOS 4.2.1 broke some functionality as well, and this could be the cause of your strife. But, if you are seriously wanting some help, go about it in a more mature, and helpful, manner. Screaming "It's broke, fix it!" on a forum thread that is meant only for the posting of Release Notes for the app and not the site that is actually setup for that very purpose will do nothing for your cause.

Version 4.2.2 has been released!

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed an issue arising from the release of iOS4.2.

* Corrected an issue that was causing app to malfunction while being locked on certain screens.

* Fixed a case where users with an apostrophe in their name couldn't view their personal data while offline.