Groundspeak Forums: How the heck did I get a souvenir for Georgia State? - Groundspeak Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How the heck did I get a souvenir for Georgia State?

#1 User is offline   gworol 

  • The midnight cachers.
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 18-May 08

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

I’ve read everything I can find about souvenirs and I’m still a little in the dark. Can someone help me?

Let’s say I wanted the souvenir for Rhode Island State, we’ve done a lot of caching there. How would we get it? I have no idea.

I know how we got the 10-10-10 souvenir. We have souvenirs for some of the states we’ve cached in, but how the heck did I get a souvenir for Georgia State? We’ve never logged anything there.

#2 User is offline   Mikey Walnuts 

  • Geocacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 04-September 10

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

From what I've heard they are still rolling them out, so hopefully pretty soon they will start retro acting us for Rhode Island. Possibly the Georgia one is a glitch and was given to you when your not supposed to have it.

On another note I emailed you about your "Nothing" travel bug and haven't heard back from you yet. I'm just wondering if I picked up a duplicate and what to do with it.

#3 User is offline   BlueDeuce 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 21903
  • Joined: 14-May 03

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

October 15, 2009 Unknown Cache - One Flew over the Cuckoo´s Nest

You even posted a photo.

Traveling cache?

This post has been edited by BlueDeuce: 21 November 2010 - 08:38 PM


#4 User is offline   gworol 

  • The midnight cachers.
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 18-May 08

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

View PostLovey+Bucket, on Nov 21 2010, 09:29 PM, said:

From what I've heard they are still rolling them out, so hopefully pretty soon they will start retro acting us for Rhode Island. Possibly the Georgia one is a glitch and was given to you when your not supposed to have it.

On another note I emailed you about your "Nothing" travel bug and haven't heard back from you yet. I'm just wondering if I picked up a duplicate and what to do with it.


Nothing is a unique travel bug, just have fun with it.

#5 User is offline   gworol 

  • The midnight cachers.
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 18-May 08

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

View PostBlueDeuce, on Nov 21 2010, 09:31 PM, said:

October 15, 2009 Unknown Cache - One Flew over the Cuckoo´s Nest

You even posted a photo.

Traveling cache?


Yes, we had One Flew over the Cuckoo´s Nest. The only traveling cache we’ve ever had.
It wasn’t from Georgia at the time.

#6 User is offline   BlueDeuce 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 21903
  • Joined: 14-May 03

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

View Postgworol, on Nov 21 2010, 11:01 PM, said:

View PostBlueDeuce, on Nov 21 2010, 09:31 PM, said:

October 15, 2009 Unknown Cache - One Flew over the Cuckoo´s Nest

You even posted a photo.

Traveling cache?


Yes, we had One Flew over the Cuckoo´s Nest. The only traveling cache we’ve ever had.
It wasn’t from Georgia at the time.


It is now. I'd be curious to see what happens when it moves. Do you lose the state and gain another?

#7 User is offline   NYPaddleCacher 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8584
  • Joined: 08-January 07

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:06 AM

View PostBlueDeuce, on Nov 21 2010, 09:11 PM, said:

View Postgworol, on Nov 21 2010, 11:01 PM, said:

View PostBlueDeuce, on Nov 21 2010, 09:31 PM, said:

October 15, 2009 Unknown Cache - One Flew over the Cuckoo´s Nest

You even posted a photo.

Traveling cache?


Yes, we had One Flew over the Cuckoo´s Nest. The only traveling cache we’ve ever had.
It wasn’t from Georgia at the time.


It is now. I'd be curious to see what happens when it moves. Do you lose the state and gain another?


It seems that there is sort of a loophole with traveling caches and souvenirs. Since this one is listed as an unknown cache (as I imagine all traveling caches are) there is nothing about it that would tell the souvenir awarding code that it's a traveling cache. When the Georgia souvenir was released it was retroactively awarded to everyone that had logged a cache that is *currently* listed as being in Georgia. I guess that if Cuckoos's Nest moved to another state in which a souvenir has not yet been awarded it could result in everyone that has previously logged it getting a souvenir for that state as well, but it seems that the only alternative would be to have all traveling caches archived and locked from logging.

It seems to me the best solution would be to give geocachers a mechanism for deleting a souvenir from their profile and mobile phone app. That way if a geocacher *wanted* to remove any souvenirs that were inadvertently awarded retroactively or for any other reason they could do so.

What I really don't get is how traveling caches continue to exist. The last move (on Nov. 4th) on the Cuckoo's cache was from Florida, a coordinate change of over 300Km. I didn't think a CO could make that great a change without reviewer intervention. Cuckoo's nest has had nine coordinate changes since it was published in 2001, which isn't a lot, and the only time this particular cache is going to cause confusion with souvenirs is if it happens to be in a state at the time a souvenir is released for that state and that souvenir is retroactively awarded. I have no idea how many traveling caches there are, nor how one could tell, but to me, it's such a corner case that it's not worth doing anything about them.

#8 User is offline   kwcahart 

  • Floresville, TX
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 693
  • Joined: 05-March 08

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

Just curious, does TX have a souvenir cache or whatever it takes to get the TX souvenir?

#9 User is offline   niraD 

  • rehcacoeG
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 7012
  • Joined: 24-January 06

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

View Postkwhart, on Nov 22 2010, 07:14 AM, said:

Just curious, does TX have a souvenir cache or whatever it takes to get the TX souvenir?
The state souvenirs are being retroactively awarded, but they're doing it slowly, in the order in which the states were admitted to the union. If you've found caches in Texas, then you should get the souvenir eventually.

#10 User is offline   NYPaddleCacher 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8584
  • Joined: 08-January 07

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:10 AM

View PostniraD, on Nov 22 2010, 09:38 AM, said:

View Postkwhart, on Nov 22 2010, 07:14 AM, said:

Just curious, does TX have a souvenir cache or whatever it takes to get the TX souvenir?
The state souvenirs are being retroactively awarded, but they're doing it slowly, in the order in which the states were admitted to the union. If you've found caches in Texas, then you should get the souvenir eventually.


Here's the list of State in ordered by the date each achieved statehood. I don't where Washington DC will fit into the list but it certainly should have a souvenir. As of Nov. 22, 2:00PM EST souvenirs up through Maryland have been awarded, and so far 2-3 new state souvenirs have become available about once a week. Alaska and Hawaii will have to wait awhile but they had wait 10 years for their state quarters to be created after the Delaware state quarter was released so they're used to it.


1 Delaware
2 Pennsylvania
3 New Jersey
4 Georgia
5 Connecticut
6 Massachusetts
7 Maryland
8 South Carolina
9 New Hampshire
10 Virginia
11 New York
12 North Carolina
13 Rhode Island
14 Vermont
15 Kentucky
16 Tennessee
17 Ohio
18 Louisiana
19 Indiana
20 Mississippi
21 Illinois
22 Alabama
23 Maine
24 Missouri
25 Arkansas
26 Michigan
27 Florida
28 Texas
29 Iowa
30 Wisconsin
31 California
32 Minnesota
33 Oregon
34 Kansas
35 West Virginia
36 Nevada
37 Nebraska
38 Colorado
39 North Dakota
40 South Dakota
41 Montana
42 Washington
43 Idaho
44 Wyoming
45 Utah
46 Oklahoma
47 New Mexico
48 Arizona
49 Alaska
50 Hawaii

#11 User is offline   Scrabble Dogs 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 24
  • Joined: 01-March 09

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

I have 3 souvenir's and the only honest one is the 10/10/10, I am thinking its due to using my I-Phone as a back up GPS'r. When I search for new caches from time to time it takes a minute for the satellites to locate me and at that point it say's im 5,000 miles from where I am at(poor accuracy) . Which I am thinking is why I have souvenirs from other states!
They do not show up on my actual profile but they come up on my I-Phone app! Maybe this will help or has anyone else had this problem?

#12 User is offline   Onslow Fisherman 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 140
  • Joined: 21-April 05

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

View Postgworol, on 21 November 2010 - 08:17 PM, said:

I’ve read everything I can find about souvenirs and I’m still a little in the dark. Can someone help me?

Let’s say I wanted the souvenir for Rhode Island State, we’ve done a lot of caching there. How would we get it? I have no idea.

I know how we got the 10-10-10 souvenir. We have souvenirs for some of the states we’ve cached in, but how the heck did I get a souvenir for Georgia State? We’ve never logged anything there.

How did I get an Ohio State Souvenir?
What are/were to requirements needed to qualify for this.
It's a mystery,
Jim

#13 User is offline   Pup Patrol 

  • Ontario, Canada
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 4764
  • Joined: 09-April 05

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Knowledge Books article:

http://support.Groun...=kb.page&id=272

9.19. Souvenirs

Quote

Souvenirs are virtual pieces of art with some associated text that you can discover and display on your profile page, as well as in the iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 7 apps.

Some souvenirs are awarded for their geographical location, while others are awarded differently. For example, you might get a souvenir for attending a specific Mega-Event. A list of available souvenirs is below and hope that you enjoy discovering these unique pieces of art!



http://www.geocachin.../souvenirs.aspx

Quote

There are two ways to discover a souvenir. The first is to log a geocache within the souvenir zone. For instance, if there were a souvenir for Hollywood, CA and you logged a geocache in Hollywood, you would be awarded the souvenir.

The second is to search for a geocache using the Geocaching Application for iPhone or Android when you are within the souvenir zone. Text on your profile page will indicate whether the souvenir was discovered by logging or through an application.

If there is a time parameter to the souvenir, as there will be with those discovered at Mega-Events, the souvenir zone will expire at the end of the period. You can still obtain the souvenir by logging your attendance online.

If you have previously logged a cache in a souvenir zone, the souvenir will be added to your profile at a later date.


#14 User is offline   RolandFamilyCache 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 10-July 11

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:06 AM

I have a Pennsylvania souvenir, and I haven't been anywhere near PA. I was wondering where it came from. I've only found 5 cache's, and I don't think any were traveling ones.

#15 User is offline   hzoi 

  • When in doubt -- bushwhack!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 2032
  • Joined: 23-February 07

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostRolandFamilyCache, on 29 February 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

I have a Pennsylvania souvenir, and I haven't been anywhere near PA. I was wondering where it came from. I've only found 5 cache's, and I don't think any were traveling ones.


Odd.

Did you ever log into a geocaching mobile app while in Pennsylvania?

Have you ever deleted a mistaken log? You may have accidentally logged a cache that was in PA and then deleted it.

Other than that, beats me...moun10bike may be able to figure out the answer.

#16 User is offline   NYPaddleCacher 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8584
  • Joined: 08-January 07

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

View Posthzoi, on 29 February 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostRolandFamilyCache, on 29 February 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

I have a Pennsylvania souvenir, and I haven't been anywhere near PA. I was wondering where it came from. I've only found 5 cache's, and I don't think any were traveling ones.


Odd.

Did you ever log into a geocaching mobile app while in Pennsylvania?


To explain further, when souvenirs first came out one could get a souvenir merely by initiating a search using the official geocaching mobile app while located in a souvenir region. Someone could theoretically turn on their phone while on a plane just after it touched down in a layover city and obtain a souvenir without ever actually leaving the plane. That "feature" was turned of a short time after souvenirs were released and I'm pretty sure it was before the OP started caching. As it turned out, a couple of days after they announced that the mobile app souvenir awarding features was turned off I was flying somewhere and had a brief layover in Dallas. I tested to see if searching for a cache with my iPhone would produce a souvenir and it did not.

I can't explain why the OP is seeing a souvenir for PA either.

#17 User is offline   cynthih 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 23-August 01

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

View PostRolandFamilyCache, on 29 February 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

I have a Pennsylvania souvenir, and I haven't been anywhere near PA. I was wondering where it came from. I've only found 5 cache's, and I don't think any were traveling ones.


On the other hand, can anyone tell me why I DON'T have a Pennsylvania souvenir when I found a micro there in 2001.

#18 User is offline   hzoi 

  • When in doubt -- bushwhack!
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 2032
  • Joined: 23-February 07

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

View Postcynthih, on 01 March 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

View PostRolandFamilyCache, on 29 February 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

I have a Pennsylvania souvenir, and I haven't been anywhere near PA. I was wondering where it came from. I've only found 5 cache's, and I don't think any were traveling ones.


On the other hand, can anyone tell me why I DON'T have a Pennsylvania souvenir when I found a micro there in 2001.


I could ask the same thing about the Bulgaria souvenir, which was announced months ago but has yet to actually be implemented in the system. We found a bunch of caches in Sofia, and it'd be nice to see that showing up.

#19 User is offline   NanCycle 

  • COLORADO, USA
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1706
  • Joined: 10-October 04

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

View Postcynthih, on 01 March 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:



On the other hand, can anyone tell me why I DON'T have a Pennsylvania souvenir when I found a micro there in 2001.


Now there's a good question; I see that the maps in your statistics do show PA. Could it be because your only PA find was archived before the souvenirs were awarded?

#20 User is online   Bear and Ragged 

  • *.*
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 7689
  • Joined: 20-August 05

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostRolandFamilyCache, on 29 February 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

I have a Pennsylvania souvenir, and I haven't been anywhere near PA. I was wondering where it came from. I've only found 5 cache's, and I don't think any were traveling ones.


Logged a 'Moving Cache'or'Cuckoo cache'?
Moving caches are no longer allowed, but there are a few Grandfathered one traveling around...
You may have logged it somewhere else, but it was in PA when the souviner was awarded.

#21 User is offline   likelyladybug 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 49
  • Joined: 19-January 09

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

I have one from Florida which I've never cached in. I do believe it's from logging One Flew over the Cuckoo´s Nest.

#22 User is offline   NYPaddleCacher 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8584
  • Joined: 08-January 07

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

View Posthzoi, on 01 March 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

View Postcynthih, on 01 March 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

View PostRolandFamilyCache, on 29 February 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

I have a Pennsylvania souvenir, and I haven't been anywhere near PA. I was wondering where it came from. I've only found 5 cache's, and I don't think any were traveling ones.


On the other hand, can anyone tell me why I DON'T have a Pennsylvania souvenir when I found a micro there in 2001.


I could ask the same thing about the Bulgaria souvenir, which was announced months ago but has yet to actually be implemented in the system. We found a bunch of caches in Sofia, and it'd be nice to see that showing up.


I took a look at few caches in Bulgaria, checked the profiles of their owners, and didn't see a Bulgaria souvenir on any of them. What the "announcement" the appearance of the the artwork on that flickr site? There were quite a few other countries with souvenir artwork but the souvenirs have not yet been released.

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic