How to track a reverse geocache?

pannen

Hi,

I'm currently building a reverse geocache (a box that will open at a certain position). It will be very robust (steel casing), reprogrammable by the one who gets it to the right place and rechargeable. So it shall pass from cacher to cacher.

Can I greate a geocache listing for that or shall I just buy a travelbug/trackme button and put the code on the box?

Your reverse geocache sounds really interesting but it doesn't fit neatly into the Guidelines for listing a cache.

However

"If you have a novel type of cache that "pushes the envelope" to some degree, then it is best to contact your local reviewer and/or Groundspeak before placing and reporting it on the Geocaching.com web site. The guidelines should address most situations, but Groundspeak administrators and reviewers are always interested in new ideas."

It might be worth putting your idea forward for special consideration.

MrsB :D

Hi,

I'm currently building a reverse geocache (a box that will open at a certain position). It will be very robust (steel casing), reprogrammable by the one who gets it to the right place and rechargeable. So it shall pass from cacher to cacher.

Can I greate a geocache listing for that or shall I just buy a travelbug/trackme button and put the code on the box?

I don't think you'll have luck listing it as a geocache; traveling caches were discontinued largely because of the fustrations of cachers looking for a container in a spot that may have already moved on.

Listing it as a travel bug is a great idea - and you should put the code *IN* the box so that people can log it only when they've successfully moved the box to the new location. That would satisfy a lot of the poetry you're trying to capture, I think.

I have seen this kind of caches before. To get approval you must meet the guidelines of GC. In short for this cache:

- Put the box in a fixed location

- List it as an unknown cache type since it requires special activities before going into the field

- Coordinates and key (of code) you can add to a Travel Bug. In the listing of the cache you tell which travel bug they need to chase.

Make sure you put the restriction on your TB that it should stay within a certain distance of the cache.

Using a code might cause the code to be transferred between cachers. Using a key would prevent it, but make sure you keep a spare key yourself!

Well, I think I have to make it a trackable. The only thing that bothers me is, that you cant drop a trackable in another trackable, but that can be handled in the log texts.

I think I will screw a tb dogtag on the outside of the cache, so people can log 'discovered' entries.

To clarify the type of cache: Its a metal box (a french army medic box) that contains a microcontroller, a gps module and a display. In my case the display are 3 nixie tubes (display tubes from the 60s). All you see when the box is closed is a button and the tubes. When you press the button it tries to get a gps fix while the tubes show a countdown. If it can't get a fix (indoors) an error led lights for 5 seconds and it switches off. If it gets a fix it shows the distance to the target coordinates (down to 0,01 km precision due to the possibility to display a comma on the tubes I used). If it's within 500 meters of the target coordinates the box opens with a buildin servo. The opener can then program new coordinates (via a computer and usb), put some kind of present in it and pass it on to a friend.

I can't provide photos right now, because it is with someone who's cuts out the holes in the case, but it'll look like some kind of 60s James Bond suitcase nuke, so you can't get it on a plane :anitongue:

I'm building it for the 30th birthday of a geonut friend.

Edited by pannen

The case is finished, here's a pic:

mcvvht.jpg

It turned out exactly as I imagined it :huh:

Here you'll see the locking mechanism (a servo that actuates two metal rods)

2n6cf2h.jpg

Now I have to give it a nice painting and put some text next to the status leds (above the gps antenna and the display tubes). I bought a geopin and I'm planning paint the tracking number on the box (with letter stencils).

For the painting I'm thinking about leaving the base color as is and painting the raised edge of the lid in yellow/black diagonal stripes. The gps antenna, the lettering and the brackets red like the button.

Any other suggestions?