Taking ownership of a neglected Cache?

I have a cache nearby within my town. It is in need of maintenance. I have tried to reach the owner of the cache and let him know. He has not been online at geocaching.com since 2009. I would like to take ownership of this cache. If this is not possible then is it at least ok if I repair the cache on my own. It tells a great story about my home town and would hate to see it fade away. Any ideas?

You have a couple options, send a email to the cache owner looking to adopt, if you can't get a response you can send an email to your local reviewer asking to adopt( they call it a forced adoption one of our local cachers did that for a couple abandoned caches)

You can fix it and have the satisfation knowing you are helping to keep it alive

Forced adoptions haven't been done in years. Technically the cache is owned by someone and Groundspeak can't "forcibly" take that ownership away.

If the cache owner isn't answering emails, your best bet is to just go fix it yourself and hope for the best. I'm sure the cache owner would appreciate it (if he was aware of it).

is it at least ok if I repair the cache on my own.

It’s OK, and some Cache Owners would appreciate it, if they can’t maintain it anymore. But without the CO monitoring and checking on it, the hide can go from bad to worse. It’s often recommended to let an orphaned cache be archived if the CO is not active. You can’t even update the page, except for adding a log note for future cachers. Also, you can’t remove a “Needs Maintenance” attribute, if it gets one.

Only the owner can consent to an adoption. The cache itself is the property of the owner. Send an explict request to the owner with a link to the adoption page. Http://www.geocaching.com/adopt and see what happens.

Sometimes, it is best to let a cache just fade away when/if the owner is no longer willing to take care of it. Sure you could go do the repairs on it yourself (and that would be a very kind thing to do) but the cache would still not have a proper owner and someone regularly receiving all the logs and knowing its maintenance needs. If the owner will not respond, file a "needs archive" on it and when/if it gets archived - go place a cache of your own with the same story in the online description.

If you change out the container and contents - all you are really saving is the online description anyway - and you can duplicate that in your own.

Good luck - maybe he will adopt it over.....

I have a cache nearby within my town. It is in need of maintenance. I have tried to reach the owner of the cache and let him know. He has not been online at geocaching.com since 2009. I would like to take ownership of this cache. If this is not possible then is it at least ok if I repair the cache on my own. It tells a great story about my home town and would hate to see it fade away. Any ideas?

After reading the first couple of sentences I was going to say, post a Needs Archive then plant your own when it's archived. But since it has a good write-up and you want to see the listing survive, put a Watch on the cache. When anyone notes a problem go out and fix it then post a note in the cache log. If someone posts a Needs Maintenance you're going to have to contact the Reviewer to let the him/her know you did the necessary repairs otherwise the Reviewer may end up archiving it because the owner does not respond. You can't adopt it without the owner's permission.

I will vote in favor of Needs Archive instead of just fixing the cache. Fixing the cache is nice, and does "preserve" the place. But you do not have access to the cache page to do things like clearing a Needs Maintenance flag, a temporary disabled if other maintenance needs show up, or updating coordinates if you need to move the cache. For all of this you need to rely on the reviewer. Archive it, put your own cache in place and you can link the original cache page or replicate what you want from the cache page.

Of course if the current owner responds to the adoption request this is all moot.

Let me add a positive spin!!! Since it has been explained that adoption requires the consent of the owner and they have to initiate it, you have a couple choices.

For the reasons you listed, you could become a "surrogate" owner and maintain the cache. Problem with this is, you don't have the ability to edit logs, clear needs maintenance attributes, ect.as everyone has pointed out. If it is an older listing worthy of keeping alive for its historic value, I might consider doing that anyway.

However, having said that, what I would propose as the "best solution" is pulling the trigger on a NA. Why?? Well a cache of the sort you are describing has become the "orphan" child of a "parent" who, for reasons unknown to us, has abandoned it.

You obviously see the value of the "orphan" and would love to care for it. My suggestion is, take that enthusiasm you have for that particular cache, and caching in general, and direct it into a cache of your own. Good caches need good owners.

If you are that enthusiastic about saving it, you have the mindset to be a good owner yourself. You have to ask yourself, though, are you willing to keep this mindset alive over the long term. I am sure the original owner felt the same way or he/she would have never placed it to begin with.

If you have the enthusiam, and the stamina to keep it alive, owning your own cache in the same location might provide you with a lot more enjoyment of the game!!!.

You could even word the listing with similar verbage to the original, (avoid plagerism) add additional tidbits of info, maybe some pictures, and develop a cache that is more noteworthy!.

Just my take on it!!

There is a cache here that was our very first find, has an "absentee" owner, and has been repaired by finders several times, that deserves better. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, as it is still limping along, but have been keeping a close eye, as it is just a matter of time before someone does it. I hope to be able to place a cache worthy of the location, a location which is very worthy of having a geocache.( I do not however wish the demise of a cache just so I can place my own.) I'll be ready if it happens, as I have yet to place a cache and would like to!

edit speelun

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I echo what others have said... There are always balances between options that have to be made on a case-by case basis.

There is a balance between prserving older caches so that we have some long-lived legacy caches for the future... vs. the opportunity that replacing an old cache with a new one creates for all local cachers to get a new find.

There is a balance between the "proper" interpretation of ownership and a practical community interest. By that I mean, on one hand, the cache IS the private property of the owner and who knows, even if archived he/she may want to go fetch it someday, or may have it cross-posted on a web site you don't know about. But on the other hand, I am a member of my local community and I may want to pick up the abandoned "trash" of my own volition as an act of ecological resonsibility that transcends the owner's right to leave trash in a public space.

Only you can choose, but for a variety of reasons, forced adoptions are a non-starter.

Thank you all for posting the options. I did not thank about posting a needs archived log. This may in fact be the best option at this time. I have been watching this cache degrade through its log over the last six months. Thanks again everyone! Go Geocachers!

Are you the only geocacher currently active in your town ? What do the other local cachers have to say on the idea of maintaining this "great story" ? Obviously, none of them have stepped in to maintain it in the last few months, but is that just because none of them have noticed yet that it needs it ? You should find out what the consensus is before you rashly post a NA - even if you think you can put a "better" cache in its place once the other is archived.

Around here, we have both unofficial and official networks to take care of some older caches. You'd be making a sad mistake to attempt to archive one unilaterally.

There's no reason you can't just step up and do the necessary maintenance yourself, then leave a note on the cache page what you've done.

Are you the only geocacher currently active in your town ? What do the other local cachers have to say on the idea of maintaining this "great story" ? Obviously, none of them have stepped in to maintain it in the last few months, but is that just because none of them have noticed yet that it needs it ? You should find out what the consensus is before you rashly post a NA - even if you think you can put a "better" cache in its place once the other is archived.

Around here, we have both unofficial and official networks to take care of some older caches. You'd be making a sad mistake to attempt to archive one unilaterally.

There's no reason you can't just step up and do the necessary maintenance yourself, then leave a note on the cache page what you've done.

But who is going to clear those maintenance icons? Who is going to respond to emails to the owner? Who is going to be responsible when/if the land owner has an issue or question? Who is going to update the coords if necessary? Who will change the description when the access point changes? Unless noted on the cache page itself - nobody would even know. Let alone take care of it.

There is nothing historic about words on a page. Once the container is changed out or the hide style altered - it won't even be the same cache. The words can be repeated on a new listing for a true owner. If thier are no maintainence issues - I don't see much of an problem but as soon as the container needs replaced or more - time to let it go if the owner won't respond.

There comes a time in every caches life when it is time to pick up the litter, post the NA and move on. This is one of those times.

There needs to be someone to maintain the cache page as well. If a land manager is trying to get in touch with the owner but can't, it can led to a bad situation.

I maintain a cache for a no-longer local but still active cacher. It was grandfathered in and probably would be a PIA to get approved now. That said: if there is a physical cache, post a NA log explaining that the CO is no longer active. Once it is archived, you can place your own cache in the same spot and keep the wording from the cache page intact, should you so desire. It not only keeps the cache in the same spot, but gives other locals a chance to revisit the spot.

I'm in a similar situation right now. A nearby cache has been abandoned by the CO, who no longer caches. If it were possible to have 'forced' adoptions, I'd take the page over in a minute. 'Why doesn't he just follow what he said above?' you ask.

It's a virtual. The number of 'Greetings from Germany!' logs I would delete if I could... ;)

I'd get it archived and then place my own cache there if I really wanted one there. I would not maintain an abandoned cache.

I was just checking out the forum for how to adopt a cache when I came across this thread. I agree in an ideal world creating a new cache from the remains of the old would be ideal - in my case, there was a lot of work that originally went into creating the cache (it's a picture puzzle) and it would be so much easier to just take over ownership....if the owner would just follow the adoption guidelines I've emailed him. He's already agreed to let me maintain it, just hasn't done the necessary to allow me to manage it. Really fustrating! I'll run off another email to him and keep my fingers crossed!

Thank you all for posting the options. I did not thank about posting a needs archived log. This may in fact be the best option at this time. I have been watching this cache degrade through its log over the last six months. Thanks again everyone! Go Geocachers!

I think you made the correct choice. In most instances it's best to have an abandoned cache archive and if someone likes the area, he can place his own there.

I rarely see the point of keeping an abandoned cache alive. Starbrand gave several good reasons not to do so in post #13.