MIA Travel Bugs

mrcpu

(I realize this COULD be in the TB forum but it has to do with a site modification/question.)

One of the local caches had a travel bug in it called Lac Louise. HAD is the important thing. The travel bug is no longer there (verified by the cache owner). I contacted the bug owner (I had found this TB previously) and mentioned to him that the bug was misplaced.

The TB owner told me he emailed the person who logged a pickup in the cache page to ask them to log a pickup on the travel bug page. Unfortunatly the person has not responded and yet the TB is not there but the icon is!

(This is a common problem that has been discussed to death in the other forum)

I would like to see a feature that allows the cache owner to forcibly remove the travelbug status from his/her cache and make some sort of log entry in the process. Effectivly the TB would go into a status of MIA and the TB owner would get notified when TB's tracking page would get updated with whatever note the Cache owner made at the time of removal.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

I think the idea has to be considered seriously. For each travel bug I have had in my possession, I have logged it, then followed up with quick e-mail to owner telling them I have it. Also I let them know approximately when I will place it again and possible location. They always seem greatly appreciative. I think part of the problem is some people don't understand the whole "Travel Bug" idea.

I do like the idea of placing bugs MIA. Cache owner checks that the bug is not in their cache. They click a link "Bug has been removed from cache by unknown cacher." Cache owners should be the only ones who have this link.

The bug is then removed from the cache, and on the bug's page it indicates "The Bug is in the hands of an Unknown Cacher." It can sit that way with no penalty on the bug or the cache until someone decides to log "I've got it."

Fits all scenarios:

Neocacher or Non-cacher takes the bug and never logs it. Bug stays MIA.

Neocacher take the bug and doesn't realize until 3 months down the road what the heck s/he has to do. Bug stays MIA, but they can say "I've got it" when they realize their error.

Neocacher moves bug from Cache A to Cache B without logging it. Experienced cacher physically takes bug from Cache B. Right now, the only way they can do this is to make it look like they grabbed the bug from Cache A. If it was in an unknown state, experienced cacher could either just grab the bug from the unknown cacher, or (being more responsible) grab the bug from unknown cacher, deposit it into Cache B (where they actually found the bug) and then grab it again, thus adding at least a portion of the correct journey.

The more I think this through, the more I like it.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I do like the idea of placing bugs MIA. Cache owner checks that the bug is not in their cache. They click a link "Bug has been removed from cache by unknown cacher." Cache owners should be the only ones who have this link.....

The more I think this through, the more I like it.

PERFECT ... looks like a solution that would cover all the bases ...

348_2702.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Cache owners should be the only ones who have this link.

In a perfect caching world, this is a great idea. But since we all know that (unfortunately) not all cache owners are responsible, I'd like the TB OWNER to ALSO have this link. I can say that as a TB Owner, I keep track of my bug and it's frustrating when she's not logged properly.

40513_800.JPG

...over here.

As a bug owner, I can grab the bug (I've got the number written down, right?).

Then it's in my possession and not listed as being in the cache, which was the whole goal. If the wayward bug shows up, the finder can then just grab it from me. This is what happened with Wonder Woman. If, after a suitable waiting period (and I mean much longer than you think necessary) you want to deactivate the bug, you could place it in an archived cache (one of yours or seek permission from another cache owner).

The problem is that a cache owner doesn't have that ability to grab the bug in this manner, since they don't have the login number. They need an alternate mechanism, which is where this comes in to play.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

I suggested a forum for MIA bugs to Jeremy recently, having become a victim of this very problem. In my case, I know who took the bug and despite many inquiries (none of them being threatening to that cacher) I've had no response and it's coming on 8 weeks that the TB has been MIA. I think it's gone forever and this really hacks me off since the cacher in question perports himself to be 'experienced' and is showing others 'how' to geocache. So I'd like to have a feature that would also capture the cacher's handle if known. Maybe that would spur them on to do the right thing or not pick them up. Just MHO.

Wend

Ive set out two bugs so far, one is still good since its my personal travel bug, the other has been MIA since around the middle of March.

It was placed in a cache, and apparently removed by someone and not logged as such, I have e-mailed the cache owner, and everyone that has logged the cache lately to see if anybody knew anything, I havent had a single reply??? I posted a note on the cache page...still no reply??? I guess its a conspiracy???

I think it would be extremely helpful if the website had better instructions and guidelines on how to handle TB's. I even suggested a FAQ...but was largely ignored by the forum guru's.

It would also be extremely helpful if cachers would at least read up a little to learn how to use a TB.

Im not upset that my Bug is MIA, I just find it strange that nobody will even take the time to reply, I do have a couple more bugs waiting to be released, but since few people want to play the game...I think Ill just hang onto them for now.

Ill probably get it for this one...but maybe theres a reason the TB instructions arent clearer and more advertised than they are...its called sales!

C-Troop