Garmin Etrex Legend HCx Query

I hope someone can help me with this :)

I have my own Dakota 10 that I get on really well with and found really easy to use straight from the box. My friend got a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx and I kindly said I would set it up for her and load some caches to get her started.

I can't for the life of me work out how to load the caches :angry:

When I connect to the PC it doesn't recognise it. I had micro SD lying around so I put the GSAK GPX file in a GPX folder within a Garmin Folder; nothing. Then I thought maybe it has to be a LOC file; again nothing :rolleyes:

I tried sending direct from GSAK but it kept coming back with an error message.

Am I missing something really obvious? Does it even need the micro SD card for maps / caches? I would have thought it has ample memory for the essentials with expansion option if required.

All help will be very much appreciated :D

Connect the unit through USB to your PC. Make sure you have the communicator software installed on the PC. This will allow you to upload a cache directly to your PC. If your looking to upload a PQ you'll need to use additional software like GSAK or EasyGPS to upload the PQ.

So make sure you have Communicator installed first. This is the software that is need for the unit to connect to the PC. The USB drivers won't help.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-13

Connect the unit through USB to your PC. Make sure you have the communicator software installed on the PC. This will allow you to upload a cache directly to your PC. If your looking to upload a PQ you'll need to use additional software like GSAK or EasyGPS to upload the PQ.

So make sure you have Communicator installed first. This is the software that is need for the unit to connect to the PC. The USB drivers won't help.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-13

The USB drivers are installed if you install the communicator.

From the FAQ for the communicator:

"Do I need to install Garmin USB drivers for the Garmin Communicator Plugin to work with my Garmin device?

In most cases, you will not need to install separate USB drivers for the plugin to detect your device. The required USB drivers are packaged and installed with the plugin.

However, a small number of Garmin devices do require the latest USB drivers for the plugin to work. And if the plugin is installed in Internet Explorer using activeX or as a Firefox plugin, the USB drivers will not be included. If the test page indicates that the plugin is successfully installed, but it's not detecting your device, you probably need to download and install the latest USB drivers."

And the USB drivers are needed if using GSAK.

Edited by IBcrashen

Thanks for the replies smile.gif

I'm connecting to the PC with the standard USB connector. I have now downloaded the Garmin drivers and Communicator. The PC does recognise it but not as a drive in the same way my Dakota does wacko.gif

When I send from GSAK I get the error message below

screenshot1.jpg

Your computer will not recognize the HCX the same way as it does your Dakota. In GSAK, have you set up the HCX from the GPS setup window? When you select "Send to GPS", are you choosing the HCX from the drop down menu from the bottom of the pop up window?

These are the only things I can think of as to why you might be having a problem.