Groundspeak Forums: Aloha Thread ( Hawaiian Islands ) - Groundspeak Forums

Jump to content

  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Aloha Thread ( Hawaiian Islands ) A Geocache in Paradise

#1 User is offline   rav_bunneh 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 169
  • Joined: 09-March 11

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:42 AM

Aloha!

I've been stopping in here often and noticed a lot of dedicated threads for various cities and regions, but none for Honolulu, Oahu or even the state of Hawaii. So here we go! I hope that this thread can be a place were people can come to chat about the many geocaches in the state of Hawaii. The island of Oahu alone has some 770+ geocaches as of this posting.

If you live here on the islands or are just visiting I hope that you can find answers here. :3

Mahalo! :grin:

#2 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

View Postrav_bunneh, on 05 April 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

Aloha!

I've been stopping in here often and noticed a lot of dedicated threads for various cities and regions, but none for Honolulu, Oahu or even the state of Hawaii. So here we go! I hope that this thread can be a place were people can come to chat about the many geocaches in the state of Hawaii. The island of Oahu alone has some 770+ geocaches as of this posting.

If you live here on the islands or are just visiting I hope that you can find answers here. :3

Mahalo! :grin:


Nice idea, rav_bunneh! I check in here every so often to see if there are any questions I can answer about Hawai'i caches :grin: .

Cache with Aloha!
GeoGerms

#3 User is offline   rav_bunneh 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 169
  • Joined: 09-March 11

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

Oh! I should probably pass along the upcoming events. I forgot that in the first post. :3

10/April/2011 -Maui GeOhana - April 2011
17/April/2011 - Slippah Pokah Run!
4/June/2011 - WWFM VIII - Iolani Palace Kazoo Band

#4 User is offline   splashman 

  • The Splashes
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 564
  • Joined: 20-October 01

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

View Postrav_bunneh, on 05 April 2011 - 11:14 AM, said:

Oh! I should probably pass along the upcoming events. I forgot that in the first post. :3

10/April/2011 -Maui GeOhana - April 2011
17/April/2011 - Slippah Pokah Run!
4/June/2011 - WWFM VIII - Iolani Palace Kazoo Band



Great idea!! We will be there in Aug. for 10 days for our daughter's (Lil Splash) wedding on Maui. We're hoping to alot of caching
and exploring, this will be a great thead to find out the 'must do' caches!! (aren't they all?) :D :D

Mahalo!

The Splashes

#5 User is offline   DonB 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1417
  • Joined: 31-May 01

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:53 AM

View Postrav_bunneh, on 05 April 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

Aloha!

I've been stopping in here often and noticed a lot of dedicated threads for various cities and regions, but none for Honolulu, Oahu or even the state of Hawaii. So here we go! I hope that this thread can be a place were people can come to chat about the many geocaches in the state of Hawaii. The island of Oahu alone has some 770+ geocaches as of this posting.

If you live here on the islands or are just visiting I hope that you can find answers here. :3

Mahalo! :grin:

One of the fellow cachers put my great train race geocoin in Suck, Peel, Dip, Eat cache, but I couldn't get him to take me along with it. But the upside is he did put a little over 4000 miles on it which will help my standings in the race.

#6 User is offline   rav_bunneh 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 169
  • Joined: 09-March 11

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

View PostDonB, on 07 April 2011 - 02:53 AM, said:

One of the fellow cachers put my great train race geocoin in Suck, Peel, Dip, Eat cache, but I couldn't get him to take me along with it. But the upside is he did put a little over 4000 miles on it which will help my standings in the race.


I was at Suck, Peel, Dip, Eat last weekend. :3 Mostly because I have lived here 7 years and never once had eaten at a shrimp truck. That cache is SO full of swag it is crazy. The shrimp was yummy too. That is the type of cache where your coin might just end up anyplace since I'd bet a lot of tourists stop there. :grin:

#7 User is offline   GeoMeerkats 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: 06-August 07

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

Aloha, we are visiting the Big Island. What are the must do caches, must see sights, must do activities, etc?

Mahalo

GeoMeerkats from Canada

#8 User is offline   rav_bunneh 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 169
  • Joined: 09-March 11

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

I'm on Oahu not the Big Island. But if I were to visit I'd do a search then sort by most number of favorites. I figure the ones people like the most get the most favorites. :3 Or you could just try to go "hail marry" and hit up as many as you can where you are staying. hehe :3

#9 User is offline   eagsc7 

  • Cacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 737
  • Joined: 17-July 03

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

We're going to visit the End of Jan 2012 to Beginning Feb 2012. Started planning this BIG Suprise, and now have All caches in HI. Checking those that will be Great ones to visit.

Plans are as such:
Fly into Oahu - spend 3 or 4 days
Oahu - Maui Maybe.. Haven't really decided on that one yet...
Oahu/Maui - Big Island - 3 or 4 days.

What are the MUST DO'S on each of the islands! Also, Instead of Flying between islands, can we rent a 'water taxi' to take us between?

Steak

P.S. 2 PQ's do for the entire STATE!! As compared to over 20 for UT, 5 for WY, 12 for CO, and of course 15 for WA. YEAH!

#10 User is offline   rav_bunneh 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 169
  • Joined: 09-March 11

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

There are a lot "in town" so while you are in Waikiki or Honolulu you can just hit up any there you happen to get close too. Like the ones at the big park by the zoo. There is a "Presidents" series scattered all over. If you reach central Oahu then make a fast stop at the Central Oahu Park and there are about 5 in and around the park -- the park is that big.

However, if you want to get out into the woods but not too far into the woods then I'd recommend the three Ryan's Dinosaur Train ones. The good thing about those 3 is that they are nice huge amo cans and often seem to have travel bugs in them. Also the ones around them too.

All my info is about Oahu, sorry. That is whee I live and I've not been geocaching on the other islands. But Oahu alon has over 770 caches, so you'll have a lot to get too.

#11 User is offline   Mauison 

  • MauiBuiltCachers
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1619
  • Joined: 03-May 03

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

View Posteagsc7, on 23 April 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

We're going to visit the End of Jan 2012 to Beginning Feb 2012. Started planning this BIG Suprise, and now have All caches in HI. Checking those that will be Great ones to visit.

Plans are as such:
Fly into Oahu - spend 3 or 4 days
Oahu - Maui Maybe.. Haven't really decided on that one yet...
Oahu/Maui - Big Island - 3 or 4 days.

What are the MUST DO'S on each of the islands! Also, Instead of Flying between islands, can we rent a 'water taxi' to take us between?

Steak

P.S. 2 PQ's do for the entire STATE!! As compared to over 20 for UT, 5 for WY, 12 for CO, and of course 15 for WA. YEAH!


I can't help with the caches on Oahu as I've only found one (an LPC in a Walmart parking lot) but can let you know that pretty much the only way to get between islands is to fly. There used to be a Super Ferry but it wasn't in operation for very long. There is a ferry from Maui to Lanai and Maui to Molokai but that's about it.

#12 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:56 PM

View Posteagsc7, on 23 April 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

We're going to visit the End of Jan 2012 to Beginning Feb 2012. Started planning this BIG Suprise, and now have All caches in HI. Checking those that will be Great ones to visit.

Plans are as such:
Fly into Oahu - spend 3 or 4 days
Oahu - Maui Maybe.. Haven't really decided on that one yet...
Oahu/Maui - Big Island - 3 or 4 days.

What are the MUST DO'S on each of the islands! Also, Instead of Flying between islands, can we rent a 'water taxi' to take us between?

Steak

P.S. 2 PQ's do for the entire STATE!! As compared to over 20 for UT, 5 for WY, 12 for CO, and of course 15 for WA. YEAH!


Here are my must dos for the islands I have been too :D .

On O'ahu -
I would recommend a circle island road trip picking up caches along the coast as you go. It should take a full day accroding to how many stops you make. Make sure to drive thru Historic Haleiwa. If you have the time, hike out or catch a ride out (by 4x4) to Ka'ena point (most western tip of O'ahu). During that time of year you should still see plenty of Humpback Whale activity off shore. I also like the water (kayak)/underwater (snorkel) caches, there surprisingly aren't that many underwater caches, maybe 5 or 6 around the island. If you wanna do some hiking caches, most if not all of them on island are day hikes the longest being around 15 or so miles round trip. There are no snakes or poisonous plants to worry about, but you may encounter some wild pigs and hunting dogs on certain trails. It may be obvious, but please be aware that our mountains are volcanic in origin and therefore the rocks on the trails tend to be crumbly and may give way at anytime so be careful when hanging out near the edges.

On Maui -
I've been there a couple of times and I believe must dos include: Haleakala and drives around the small and big sides of the island with stop a in Lahina when doing the small side. I just love checking out the nearby islands when doing the drive.

On the Big Island -
I only did the Kona side, but must dos include the Volcanoes National Park, a drive down to South Point (most southern point in the USA), a drive up north to Kohala, and I drive up Mauna Kea the tallest (not the highest, that is Mt. Everest) mountain on earth (measured from the base, below sea level).

If you want I can be more specific just PM me :D ,

Cache with Aloha,
GeoGerms

#13 User is offline   rav_bunneh 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 169
  • Joined: 09-March 11

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

Now that the 2011 CITO - Sherwood Forest is done, and the 35mm film is back from Long's! You can see the groups panoramic shots I took in my log for the event!

http://www.geocachin...dd-fbab958042d9 <-- Happy Link

#14 User is offline   eagsc7 

  • Cacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 737
  • Joined: 17-July 03

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

Ok, I have to ask... the Snowmobile Attribute is on 4 caches in Hawaii. Is there another use for this attribute that applies ONLY to Hawaii??

The Steaks

#15 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

View Posteagsc7, on 06 May 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

Ok, I have to ask... the Snowmobile Attribute is on 4 caches in Hawaii. Is there another use for this attribute that applies ONLY to Hawaii??

The Steaks


Nope, I believe they just threw them on there as a joke :unsure: .

#16 User is offline   rav_bunneh 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 169
  • Joined: 09-March 11

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

Snowmobile? Why this is how I get around Waipio and Waipahu. The other day I drove down to Jolibee for chicken and gravy on my snowmobile. Snow was real deep too! :3 hehe

#17 User is offline   Mauison 

  • MauiBuiltCachers
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1619
  • Joined: 03-May 03

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

View Posteagsc7, on 06 May 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

Ok, I have to ask... the Snowmobile Attribute is on 4 caches in Hawaii. Is there another use for this attribute that applies ONLY to Hawaii??

The Steaks


I have the No-Snowmobile attribute in my HI listings. When living in the Bay Area, CA, it started as an inside joke with members of the Geocachers of the Bay Area, where we would put that attribute in our listings. Someone even had No-Snowmobile pins made for us!

#18 User is offline   rav_bunneh 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 169
  • Joined: 09-March 11

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

That is too funny! You should hang on to those no-snowmobile pins. :3

#19 User is offline   eagsc7 

  • Cacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 737
  • Joined: 17-July 03

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:04 AM

Well, the no- snowmobile attribute makes sense. Either way, I'd say to keep it! Of course, here in WY, there is a valid reason to have the snowmobile allowed attribute for some caches out here... Course, thats USUALLY when most cachers are wishing they were in Hawaii...

The Steaks

#20 User is offline   combatcarlson 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 12-September 09

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

i just arrived on island recently and getting back into caching, so hopefully i run into a few folks out there.

#21 User is offline   rav_bunneh 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 169
  • Joined: 09-March 11

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

Ding! Hit 100 then 101 geocaches found this weekend! :3

#22 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

View Postrav_bunneh, on 05 June 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

Ding! Hit 100 then 101 geocaches found this weekend! :3


Congrats rav_bunneh :smile: !

#23 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

View Postcombatcarlson, on 02 June 2011 - 09:25 AM, said:

i just arrived on island recently and getting back into caching, so hopefully i run into a few folks out there.


Welcome to the Island combatcarlson :smile:. Cya out in wild!

#24 User is offline   rav_bunneh 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 169
  • Joined: 09-March 11

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

WWFM Photos I took are posted here for anyone that wants to see. I can email full resolution (huge) in request.

http://www.lomograph...photos/13552320
http://www.lomograph...photos/13552329

#25 User is offline   Mauison 

  • MauiBuiltCachers
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1619
  • Joined: 03-May 03

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

Took a short trip to Oahu last week and cached/hike Diamond Head Crater and the Aiea Loop Trail. I can recommend both hikes as there are a good mixture of caches, views, and exercise on both! And be sure to take lots of water on both hikes!

#26 User is offline   NakoTacoPatrol 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 09-December 08

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

Aloha - just wondering if anyone in Honolulu was going to host an International Geocaching Day event on 8/20/11? (see http://coord.info/GC2FYVM) There are several events already listed from CA to Canada to Singapore. We're going to be on Oahu then... :D thanks!

#27 User is offline   islandlady2 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 29-June 11

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:18 AM

I lived in Hawaii much of my childhood and return about every 18 months. Besides being fun, geocaching gets me out and about to visit many of the areas my family doesn't frequent, along with new places/discoveries. Never knew you all existed. Lots of caches in Kona, where I am currently. Some are half day trips but a number surround my parents' home. Great fun. Managed to give the bug to four others in the short time I've been caching (1 week). Fond aloha!

#28 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:01 AM

View PostNakoTacoPatrol, on 07 July 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

Aloha - just wondering if anyone in Honolulu was going to host an International Geocaching Day event on 8/20/11? (see http://coord.info/GC2FYVM) There are several events already listed from CA to Canada to Singapore. We're going to be on Oahu then... :D thanks!


If I wasn't heading to the Block Party I would host it. I'll ask around :grin: .

#29 User is offline   NakoTacoPatrol 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 09-December 08

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

View PostGeoGerms, on 09 July 2011 - 01:01 AM, said:

View PostNakoTacoPatrol, on 07 July 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

Aloha - just wondering if anyone in Honolulu was going to host an International Geocaching Day event on 8/20/11? (see http://coord.info/GC2FYVM) There are several events already listed from CA to Canada to Singapore. We're going to be on Oahu then... :D thanks!


If I wasn't heading to the Block Party I would host it. I'll ask around :grin: .


:( Thanks - keep us posted. Wouldn't want to miss out on that big day... and a chance to get the Well Rounded Oahu Challenge! Have fun in Seattle!

oh, and us inquiring minds want to know if the final to your Aloha in O'ahu series will be published by then.....? :D

#30 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

View PostNakoTacoPatrol, on 09 July 2011 - 09:59 PM, said:

:( Thanks - keep us posted. Wouldn't want to miss out on that big day... and a chance to get the Well Rounded Oahu Challenge! Have fun in Seattle!

oh, and us inquiring minds want to know if the final to your Aloha in O'ahu series will be published by then.....? :D


I hope to the series done by Admissions Day 8/19/11 :unsure: .

#31 User is offline   Mauison 

  • MauiBuiltCachers
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 1619
  • Joined: 03-May 03

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

Some advice to those visitors who come to our island home, never turn your back to the ocean, as the waves can be very unpredictable. Unfortunately, near this cache Earthcache @ Maui's Blowhole, a visitor from California was knocked by a wave into the blowhole and has been missing ever since.

News article about the incident

Be safe!

#32 User is offline   Yellow Otters 

  • Tadpole
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 30-December 10

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

Just moved here from Florida and cant wait to get out and find some caches here and hope to meet some of you along the way.

#33 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:47 AM

View PostYellow Otters, on 23 July 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

Just moved here from Florida and cant wait to get out and find some caches here and hope to meet some of you along the way.


Aloha! Welcome to the islands!

#34 User is offline   LeffertsFamily 

  • Cache Junkie
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 29-October 05

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Aloha.. We are fairly new to Oahu. Awaiting our other half to get here in September before we really start caching. But I was speaking with some other moms about geocaching and told them I would take them out to show them what its all about. Now that can be a challenge for a group of kids and adults to be stealthy lol.. SOOO what cache do you all recomend that might be in a park or out of the way that would be a good one to let them try the game out on? Preferably close to Hickam/Pearl or downtown area.

This post has been edited by LeffertsFamily: 25 July 2011 - 11:54 AM


#35 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

View PostLeffertsFamily, on 25 July 2011 - 11:48 AM, said:

Aloha.. We are fairly new to Oahu. Awaiting our other half to get here in September before we really start caching. But I was speaking with some other moms about geocaching and told them I would take them out to show them what its all about. Now that can be a challenge for a group of kids and adults to be stealthy lol.. SOOO what cache do you all recomend that might be in a park or out of the way that would be a good one to let them try the game out on? Preferably close to Hickam/Pearl or downtown area.


I would totally recommend the 'Aiea Loop Trail it is an easy 5 mile loop hike (hardly any elevation gain) and it has 11 caches on it (including the first cache in Hawai'i - GC23).

PM me if you need anymore info :) .

#36 User is offline   LeffertsFamily 

  • Cache Junkie
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 29-October 05

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

View PostGeoGerms, on 25 July 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostLeffertsFamily, on 25 July 2011 - 11:48 AM, said:

Aloha.. We are fairly new to Oahu. Awaiting our other half to get here in September before we really start caching. But I was speaking with some other moms about geocaching and told them I would take them out to show them what its all about. Now that can be a challenge for a group of kids and adults to be stealthy lol.. SOOO what cache do you all recomend that might be in a park or out of the way that would be a good one to let them try the game out on? Preferably close to Hickam/Pearl or downtown area.


I would totally recommend the 'Aiea Loop Trail it is an easy 5 mile loop hike (hardly any elevation gain) and it has 11 caches on it (including the first cache in Hawai'i - GC23).

PM me if you need anymore info :) .


thanks that is exactly the area i keep going back to when i look at the maps.. I will pm you to find more info out about it.. thank you!!

#37 User is offline   I_AMsent 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 06-July 11

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

Hey new to geocaching and I'm loving it! Wish I had found out about this sooner like a decade ago lol but better late then never :D See ya guys around!

#38 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:33 AM

View PostAbird!, on 26 July 2011 - 07:16 PM, said:

Hey new to geocaching and I'm loving it! Wish I had found out about this sooner like a decade ago lol but better late then never :D See ya guys around!


Let me be the first to welcome you! Don't hesitate to hit one of us up if you have any questions :grin: .

#39 User is offline   I_AMsent 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 06-July 11

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:25 AM

Thanks :)

#40 User is offline   Yellow Otters 

  • Tadpole
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 30-December 10

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

View PostGeoGerms, on 25 July 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostLeffertsFamily, on 25 July 2011 - 11:48 AM, said:

Aloha.. We are fairly new to Oahu. Awaiting our other half to get here in September before we really start caching. But I was speaking with some other moms about geocaching and told them I would take them out to show them what its all about. Now that can be a challenge for a group of kids and adults to be stealthy lol.. SOOO what cache do you all recomend that might be in a park or out of the way that would be a good one to let them try the game out on? Preferably close to Hickam/Pearl or downtown area.


I would totally recommend the 'Aiea Loop Trail it is an easy 5 mile loop hike (hardly any elevation gain) and it has 11 caches on it (including the first cache in Hawai'i - GC23).

PM me if you need anymore info :) .



This sounds like a fun place to cache at thanks for sharing.

#41 User is offline   I_AMsent 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 06-July 11

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

Ok I have a question...I just got the log my dog tag trackable and activated it today, is it bad etiquette to log past visits of where I took my pup before I got the trackable? Or do I really need to take him back to the caches we already found?

#42 User is offline   Marcas_Found 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 94
  • Joined: 25-December 07

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

View PostAbird!, on 16 August 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

Ok I have a question...I just got the log my dog tag trackable and activated it today, is it bad etiquette to log past visits of where I took my pup before I got the trackable? Or do I really need to take him back to the caches we already found?


You shouldn't have any issues. I have people "dipping" their TBs in my caches well after they've logged them. And you were already there, there is no rule/time frame stating how soon you have to log a visit anyways.

#43 User is offline   I_AMsent 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 06-July 11

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

View PostMarcas_Found, on 21 August 2011 - 11:18 PM, said:

View PostAbird!, on 16 August 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

Ok I have a question...I just got the log my dog tag trackable and activated it today, is it bad etiquette to log past visits of where I took my pup before I got the trackable? Or do I really need to take him back to the caches we already found?


You shouldn't have any issues. I have people "dipping" their TBs in my caches well after they've logged them. And you were already there, there is no rule/time frame stating how soon you have to log a visit anyways.


Great! Thank you :)


I submitted my first cache today...I'm so excited for it to get published, I was really worried about my coordinates but I checked and checked and it looks correct on the map. Hopefully when it is published and people start looking I don't get comments about how it's 8793284wufzxknflkj off the GZ hehe

#44 User is offline   Marcas_Found 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 94
  • Joined: 25-December 07

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:07 AM

View PostAbird!, on 25 August 2011 - 05:13 PM, said:

View PostMarcas_Found, on 21 August 2011 - 11:18 PM, said:

View PostAbird!, on 16 August 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

Ok I have a question...I just got the log my dog tag trackable and activated it today, is it bad etiquette to log past visits of where I took my pup before I got the trackable? Or do I really need to take him back to the caches we already found?


You shouldn't have any issues. I have people "dipping" their TBs in my caches well after they've logged them. And you were already there, there is no rule/time frame stating how soon you have to log a visit anyways.


Great! Thank you :)


I submitted my first cache today...I'm so excited for it to get published, I was really worried about my coordinates but I checked and checked and it looks correct on the map. Hopefully when it is published and people start looking I don't get comments about how it's 8793284wufzxknflkj off the GZ hehe


I did this cache yesterday. The coords were a little soft but given the terrain around GZ they were fine. If the coords on any cache get me within 30ish feet I'm happy! Also, I would not try to compare your coords and your placement with any online map. There may be errors in whatever map you're looking at. Your best test of the coords is to walk away from the cache about 50-100 feet then follow the GPSr back to it. If I'm within 10 feet, I'm happy when I place a cache.

#45 User is offline   Tank and Spaz 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 87
  • Joined: 22-January 09

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

Aloha,

I wanted to ask the ohana about a geocoin design I am working on. I spent three years there with the military, got married, and started geocaching all in the islands. Here is my idea, please let me know what you all think. Texas is a far hotter cry from steak plates and blessings, but its home for now. Me Ke Aloha...

Posted Image

Here is my design. I am sorry for the copyright text, but it is a necessary evil.

To explain, shaped gecko with all eight hawaiian islands, two hawaiian petroglyphs, and a hibiscus flower. All areas in white will be color, all areas in black will be metal. It is up for final revision. So let me know you thoughts...

We have settled on a 2" coin, for $10. These will be individually numbered, trackable, and will be the first in a planned series.

Tank

#46 User is offline   Marcas_Found 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 94
  • Joined: 25-December 07

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

View PostTank and Spaz, on 07 September 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

Aloha,

I wanted to ask the ohana about a geocoin design I am working on. I spent three years there with the military, got married, and started geocaching all in the islands. Here is my idea, please let me know what you all think. Texas is a far hotter cry from steak plates and blessings, but its home for now. Me Ke Aloha...

Posted Image

Here is my design. I am sorry for the copyright text, but it is a necessary evil.

To explain, shaped gecko with all eight hawaiian islands, two hawaiian petroglyphs, and a hibiscus flower. All areas in white will be color, all areas in black will be metal. It is up for final revision. So let me know you thoughts...

We have settled on a 2" coin, for $10. These will be individually numbered, trackable, and will be the first in a planned series.

Tank


...I'm a little confused. I think it's a good design but your pic is square. Is this going on a round coin? If so, it would seem to me that there are some voids that may look odd. You may be able to move the non-island items outside of the body to fill the voids on a round coin. And what is going on the other side of the coin?

-MF-

#47 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:17 AM

View PostTank and Spaz, on 07 September 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

Aloha,

I wanted to ask the ohana about a geocoin design I am working on. I spent three years there with the military, got married, and started geocaching all in the islands. Here is my idea, please let me know what you all think. Texas is a far hotter cry from steak plates and blessings, but its home for now. Me Ke Aloha...

Posted Image

Here is my design. I am sorry for the copyright text, but it is a necessary evil.

To explain, shaped gecko with all eight hawaiian islands, two hawaiian petroglyphs, and a hibiscus flower. All areas in white will be color, all areas in black will be metal. It is up for final revision. So let me know you thoughts...

We have settled on a 2" coin, for $10. These will be individually numbered, trackable, and will be the first in a planned series.

Tank


I'm a sucka for the Mo'o so I like it :grin: . Would you be willing to trade?

#48 User is offline   GeoGerms 

  • Cache with Aloha
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-June 06

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:27 AM

View PostMarcas_Found, on 08 September 2011 - 12:12 AM, said:

...I'm a little confused. I think it's a good design but your pic is square. Is this going on a round coin? If so, it would seem to me that there are some voids that may look odd. You may be able to move the non-island items outside of the body to fill the voids on a round coin. And what is going on the other side of the coin?

-MF-


Oh I was thinking it was in the shape of the Mo'o, but after rereading the post it may be a rectangular shaped coin instead. :huh:

#49 User is offline   AWESOME WAFFLE 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 17-July 11

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

Aloha,
This is my first post. I picked up a travel bug in ALaska that wants to find it's way to New Zealand. If anyone is traveling farther west soon please let me know.
Aloha,
Awesome Waffle

#50 User is offline   eagsc7 

  • Cacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 737
  • Joined: 17-July 03

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

RE: Nanahoa's Desire (GC14DA)

Ok.. I will have a 1h 10m Layover on our flight from Oahu to Maui :) . Will that be enough time to get from the airport to this cache and back? Are there Taxi's on the island, or would there be a great geocacher that would be willing to give us a quick ride to this cache. Trip is end of January of 2012.


The Steaks

Share this topic:


  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic