whats the best GPS on the market today

hi my fellow cachers i have a question that only you experienced lot can answer ... :P

i have a garmin eTrex and its rubbish under trees im looking to upgrade to any new ( well rated ) GPS can anyone please tell me the best one on the market at the moment and the reason why they like it and rate it .

i have been told a few but im not going to say as i dont want it to cloud what you answers will be

no real price range any price is not a problem , but i have found not all the expensive ones are the best.

thanks B)

The Oregon x50 models are top of the line as well.

However, you can also go for an upgraded eTrex. Assuming you have a non-H model, any "H" model won't have the same reception problems as yours. Some eTrexes are quite well featured. But, before the new eTrex models (10, 20, 30) hit the market, they won't be quite up to par with the 62 or the x50.

Most people would probably vote for the Garmin 62 series or the Oregon 500 series of GPS units. This all might change with last weeks introduction of the Garmin Montana which will come out in the third quarter of this year and has almost all of the features of the Oregon with a few more advantages.

After having owned all of the following:

1) Garmin GPS II

2) Garmin GPS 12MAP

3) Garmin Etrex Vista

4) Garmin Forerunner 301

5) Garmin GPSMap 60csx #1

6) Garmin Colorado 400t

7) Garmin GPSMap 60csx #2

8) Garmin Nuvi 1690

9) Garmin Oregon 450

10) Magellan eXplorist 710

11) Garmin GPSMap 60csx #3

12) DeLorme PN-60

13) Garmin GPSMap 62s

... I am absolutely convinced the Garmin GPSMap 62s is the best GPS for *me* right now. I am considerably more satisfied with it than I have been with any of the others.

The Oregon 450 was the only Garmin I thought was so poorly done as to temporarily lead me away from Garmin through the MUCH worse Magellan and DeLorme units before returning to Garmin in the form of the 62s.

YMMV.

Edited by michaelnel

as i said in the offset that i have been told about a few gps modals the the oregon was the one i was looking at and the Garmin Colorado 300

The Cororado is a discontinued model now, but they can be picked up pretty cheaply. I love my 300, but as it's my first GPSr I don't have much to compare it with...but it does everything which I want it to do :)

mmm same the montana is massive so much for being hand held

you cant cache with that its like having a massive arrow above your head " im caching "

for me that one is out its not the money its the dam size

so now im down to this

Garmin Colorado 300

Garmin Oregon 550T

GARMIN GPSMAP 62 <<<<<< im guessing this one will win the vote :P

whys that ? better interface or better reception?

Neither. The 62 doesn't have an electronic compass. For geocaching, and electronic compass is *almost* a must. Therefore, you will find it very hard to cache with a GPSMAP 62. The 62s has the electronic compass (very useful) and the 62st adds built in topo maps. I suggest buying a 62s and putting some free topo maps on. Usually, you can get better quality topo maps for your area anyway.

Without the electronic compass, you will have to be moving to see which direction the cache is from where you are standing. It is really just much more of a hastle.

I had a Oregon 550 and now have a 62s. I like the buttons of the 62 way way better than the Oregon, but it's a personal preference.

Just to give balance to a previous post, I wouldn't give a day-old donut for electronic compass. I have a 60CSx which has it, but I never use it and I've done just fine without it.

I think the real answer to your question is..."depends".

It depends on what you want from a GPSr and what features are important to you. The electronic compass is an example. If the only difference between two devices were that, I'd forget it and go with the cheaper unit. For others, it is clearly worth the extra cost.

So consider the essentials first, then prioritize the bells and whistles. Then cost out how much what you want will cost and then figure in mapping and the costs associated with it. Figure out what will fit your budget. Some compromises may be required.

Speaking of maps, there are free maps out there, but they may not be right for you either. I know that the free ones did not meet my needs so I just dropped the bucks on maps from Garmin and I could not be happier with the decision. Others would say I was insane for going that route, but they aren't me and have no clue about what I need.

Again, it is up to you to do the research and determine what is best for you.

Good luck!

yes thats a very good point and one i have been thinking about and boiling down over many coffees over the pc .

as long as i can get to a cache with the arrow with out going on a wild goose chase in the woods because my eTrex ( non h ) has not got a dam clue im happy.

this morning i was hunting a FTF and the dam Etrex was taking me allover the woods im sure i would have found jimmy hoffer or winnie the pooh before i found the box it was only because i found a clearing that i got " close " and even then i was over 60 feet out and before you guys say about the other guys gps and all that ALL caches im doing at the moment are the same thing massive trek round and bloody round to find i was only 50 feet from it anyway

the eTrex was a wicked gps but now i know more and i have 250 caches and 39 hides under my belt ( which is not a lot i know ) but there is one thing i have found that gps HAS to go and get a better unit so i was looking at the ( h ) model of mine but why upgrade a little when i have to money to go lots better if you see my point.

at the moment my kids are so fed up with me caching with that gpd they wont come out with me to get any :sad:

im hoping that a new gps with new toys and tricks will help also there are a few Wherigo's that i would like to get into and a touch screen gps with better signal will deff help there :)

so yer i have been looking and thinking a lot

I also read about the 62 series coming out with models with built in cameras if you want to go that way. The 62s version would be the 62sc. One thing to keep in mind with the new gizmos is the very real possibility of having to work through whatever bugs may be in the first shipped devices. I like the Montana very much, but there is no way I'd get one right out of the gate. I don't do this to test new releases of equipment. I'll let others that enjoy that kind of thing do that. :laughing:

First question : Garmin? If yes, continue. Otherwise, I lack the experitse to answer.

Is paperless important? Assuming yes here.

Touchscreen? Yes -> Dakota, Oregon or Montana. Small, medium, large.

Touchscreen? No -> Colorado, 62, 62s or 62st

Colorado is discontinued, but has a high resolution screen like the Oregon. The 62 series has a low resolution screen. May not be important depending on how much detail in the map you require at a glance.

Do you want to pay ~$100 more for the convenience of 100k topo maps pre-loaded? Yes -> get the "t" models.

Do you want a 3 MP camera without optical zoom? If so, get one with a camera. There will be a 62 model with camera in the future.

If I'm buying, I'd get a 450. Asking for votes in this kind of situation is quite pointless, it all comes down to personal preference. Hopefully what is above will help you make your own decision. Try to get a few minutes at the store to play with the units you're considering before deciding.

First question : Garmin? If yes, continue. Otherwise, I lack the experitse to answer.

Is paperless important? Assuming yes here.

Touchscreen? Yes -> Dakota, Oregon or Montana. Small, medium, large.

Touchscreen? No -> Colorado, 62, 62s or 62st

Colorado is discontinued, but has a high resolution screen like the Oregon. The 62 series has a low resolution screen. May not be important depending on how much detail in the map you require at a glance.

Do you want to pay ~$100 more for the convenience of 100k topo maps pre-loaded? Yes -> get the "t" models.

Do you want a 3 MP camera without optical zoom? If so, get one with a camera. There will be a 62 model with camera in the future.

If I'm buying, I'd get a 450. Asking for votes in this kind of situation is quite pointless, it all comes down to personal preference. Hopefully what is above will help you make your own decision. Try to get a few minutes at the store to play with the units you're considering before deciding.

Is the 550 worth buying compared to the 450, just because it has a camera?

Is the 550 worth buying compared to the 450, just because it has a camera?

Depends on you. Do you have a phone with camera? If you do, then you won't need the 550. Do you have a point and shoot camera that you won't mind carrying around? If so, then you won't need the 550. It's a high premium to pay for a 3 MP camera without optical zoom or flash. However, as many people have pointed out, a crappy camera in the hand beats a fancy one sitting at home (or in the car).

Edit : want to add that the 550 actually takes decent pictures, partly because they don't try to cram a billion pixels into the camera. 3 MP is good enough for 4R prints if you don't crop a lot.

Edited by Chrysalides