POLITE REMINDER - NEEDED

little-leggs

The age old problem has returned ?

cacher taking ( our ) trackable and NOT planting / moving them on ?

I now we put them out because we like to , but in turn , there for everyone to enjoy , and this is probably not the best place to make a difference as the cacher that take and leave in the bottom of their bags don't read this or any other form of advice or Trackable Etiquette

can it be that trackables be made more accountable and in stead of a little spot next to any trackable you may have had for more than 14 days ?

an e-mail be sent to the holder or a pop up box to appear each time he cacher logs in informing them that they have trackables that need moving on , which they would have to acknowledge before entering the rest of the GEOCACHING sit ?

like wise talk to each other, someone knows someone else , who knows his mate please lets all get ( our ) trackables moving again

martin in sunny somerset

Edited by little-leggs

Thats a pretty good idea. If implemented i would hope it would be an option feature. Wouldn't want my millage tracker to give me pop ups constantly when its meant to stay with me. But GS leaves the management of trackables up to the owners. Sending off a friendly email is the job of the owner. Maybe this could be a feature GS enables after you have shown you've tried to make contact with the TB holder a couple of times.

This sort of thing may lead to the TB or geocoin holder dropping it in a random cache yet still holding onto the item so they get rid of the nag screen.

Edited by mpilchfamily

Terrible idea I an currently on a two month vacation and have 9 bugs with me. So when I go to log a 20 cache day do I get 180 popups? This issue comes up almost daily and the majority of responses are this is something you just have to live with. Every time you get worked up just recite the Serenity prayer over a glass of wine and you will be fine

it seem I have hit a nerve ,

if the guide line are followed cachers ?

should only take a trackable if they are pro paired to LOG i and MOVE it on as per the trackables mission

and inform the owner if hey are to hold on to the item for more than 14 days

( this is when the spot appears ? )

and at which point the pop could be implemented ( after all other avenue's have been exhausted )

I will now go and look at the feedback pages and add my thoughts ?

inform the owner if hey are to hold on to the item for more than 14 days

( this is when the spot appears ? )

They might have already dropped it off. Maybe they made a mistake, so there's no proper log, and then how can they stop the reminders? Be sure this plan doesn't encourage people to make no logs when they take a trackable for fear of lots of "polite reminders".

Also, people hold TBs for good reason. One of mine is in Canada, and Canada is waiting for the snow to melt before anyone goes caching again. I don't know when the snow melts in Canada, but my point is, sometimes you just need to wait.

Also, people hold TBs for good reason. One of mine is in Canada, and Canada is waiting for the snow to melt before anyone goes caching again. I don't know when the snow melts in Canada, but my point is, sometimes you just need to wait.

:blink:

I had to check the date of this post. (Yup, July, 2011.)

We're in the middle of a record-breaking heat wave in a good chunk of Canada right now.

Where in Canada is your travel bug? The farthest north reaches of Canada have been snow-free for a while now, I'm pretty sure.

If you mean "Koona and Keiki", then I would mark that as missing if I were you. The last activity on it was almost a year ago. Unfortunately, the same goes for the cacher who last picked it up.

Edited by Pup Patrol

A reminder is one thing, a nag reminder is another. Even gc.com dropped the two week flag.

I always felt that the two week asterisk was a useful reminder. I like the idea of some sort of automated nag.

I think that after a month of holding a trackable when you log onto geocaching.com a giant green Hypno-Signal should appear across your screen, with the scrolling words, "Place the trackable (name)... place the trackable (name)... place the trackable..."

Y'know? Just something subtle, a bit like this?

711d35c7-75e4-420e-862b-c7d528859443.gif

MrsB

A reminder is one thing, a nag reminder is another. Even gc.com dropped the two week flag.

I always felt that the two week asterisk was a useful reminder. I like the idea of some sort of automated nag.

I think that after a month of holding a trackable when you log onto geocaching.com a giant green Hypno-Signal should appear across your screen, with the scrolling words, "Place the trackable (name)... place the trackable (name)... place the trackable..."

MrsB

that's more like it , some else is out there that hacked of with cachers holding on to trackables for weeks and weeks on end

( IF your not pro-paired to log and move them DON'T leave them for someone who is )

Edited by little-leggs

If you want change, you should use thefeedback section of this website and post your thoughts there. Others will give you feedback, comments, yeas, nays, etc, and Groundspeak will see it there. You may even want to check out other ideas that have been posted first, in case it's already been suggested there.

While I'm not the best finder of topics on the Feedback site, I did manage to find 2 pertinent requests using the search terms "trackable reminder". Moun10Bike has indicated that both have been added to the review queue. However, (and I'm hoping Mrs. B can chime in here) that doesn't mean our input is no longer needed, and continuing input and votes until the Lackeys make a decision will be helpful.

BTW, if someone's lost a trackable in the bottom of their caching bag, why is a courteous reminder to be on the lookout for it a bad idea??

You think maybe my idea of an animated Hypno-Signal message would be going too far, huh?

If you want change, you should use thefeedback section of this website and post your thoughts there. Others will give you feedback, comments, yeas, nays, etc, and Groundspeak will see it there. You may even want to check out other ideas that have been posted first, in case it's already been suggested there.

While I'm not the best finder of topics on the Feedback site, I did manage to find 2 pertinent requests using the search terms "trackable reminder". Moun10Bike has indicated that both have been added to the review queue. However, (and I'm hoping Mrs. B can chime in here) that doesn't mean our input is no longer needed, and continuing input and votes until the Lackeys make a decision will be helpful.

*chiming*

(but not very helpfully)

There's an awfully long list of things on the lackeys' Internal Review Queue so all we can do is be patient and maybe bump the topic occasionally.

I do wish the Feedback Forum would add dates to all posts rather than "3 days ago" or whatever. When one of the lackeys posts "Thank you for the suggestion. I have added this idea to our internal queue for review. (27970)" there's no indication of when that was done.

I know, I know... I need to go and start a Feedback Topic about that. <_<

MrsB :P

We're in the middle of a record-breaking heat wave in a good chunk of Canada right now.

Where in Canada is your travel bug? The farthest north reaches of Canada have been snow-free for a while now, I'm pretty sure.

If you mean "Koona and Keiki", then I would mark that as missing if I were you. The last activity on it was almost a year ago. Unfortunately, the same goes for the cacher who last picked it up.

I was making a non-specific reference, just an example ;). Rather than a 14-day nag to currently listed TB holders, I'd like a 1-year reminder to the TB owner, so I can decide if it's really gone, and what I might try next.

I was making a non-specific reference, just an example ;). Rather than a 14-day nag to currently listed TB holders, I'd like a 1-year reminder to the TB owner, so I can decide if it's really gone, and what I might try next.

I remember the two week nag- which wasn't a bad thing- it didn't make much of an impression on me.

I could get on board with a 3 or 6 month reminder for TB owners. But I have a fairly laid back process of marking bugs missing. Humm, that reminds me. I should go check on that one bug.

I am a newbie but have noticed this problem with TBs and GCs and the such. One thing I have noticed is a good majority of trackables I have encountered "missing" were last logged in a particular cache anywhere from a few months ago to a few years ago. This means that one possibility is someone picked up the trackable and didn't log when they retrieved it. In this case there would be no way of knowing who retrieved it and therefore nobody to "notify" with an alert. This would only work if the person who retrieved it actually logged it and it was placed in their inventory.

I have also, just this week, retrieved two trackables that haven't been logged in in quite some time and were not logged into the cache we found them in. One is still listed in possession of a cacher and the other is still listed in a cache a few states away from us.

I don't think the only solution is an alert. If you will truly be heartbroken or upset that yours has gone missing then only send out a copy instead of the actual trackable. I have picked up a "copy" of a coin and this is a good idea. Another idea is to include a notification explaining what it is you want the finder to do with it. I have also seen this done with a little note in the bag with the trackable. Have also seen this done a better way with a hard plastic case attached to the key ring the trackable is on with a printed insert in the case. I can send a picture if someone wants to see what exactly I am talking about. Yes this will add some bulk but it is an option.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Also, I am buying trackables for each of my kids and ourselves and we will be sending out "copies". I will come up with a cool way to copy it to make it more fun for the people who find it instead of a laminated photocopy. My kids would be very upset if their real copy went missing so I am just nipping that problem in the bud from the very get go.

Having only launched 6 TBs thus far, I keep a pretty close eye on them myself. If one has not left someone's possession for a month, I send a "Do you still have it?" note. I don't necessarily see why the site bears the responsibilty for posing questions we are capable of asking on our own.

Just my 2 cents worth and my opinion is worth both of them. B)

Edited by dfw_n_mom

I'm currently in Whistler, where we have not been having a heat wave at all. Plus there have been record snowfalls over the winter, so the hiking trails at the top of the mountain are still closed. That being said, there are still plenty of unfrozen caches at the base, even here.

As for the original question, it would only work if people actually log that they picked an item up. And personally, I'd rather know my TB is safe in the hands of a cacher for several months than have absolutely no idea where it is because nobody has bothered to log that they picked it up.

MrsB

Hi,

I can't stop staring at that frog. Is this some kind of a hypnotization (LOL)!

I find they don't get clogged that often with people its when they seems to have stayed in a cache for a few months when in fact they have been picked up / pinched.

What is wrong with sending a polite 'would you mind moving it on, or could you log it into the cache you dropped it off in?' message?