Public API Beta Launch
Today is an exciting day for us, as the first third-party application has officially launched using the new Geocaching Live API. CacheSense is now available for download on the BlackBerry OS, and features direct access to the Geocaching.com database of geocaches and Trackables, secure online access to your account, Pocket Queries and more. CacheSense has a loyal following and active geocacher/developer at the helm, and Groundspeak is honored to kickoff the API launch with a quality application.
Visit CacheSense.com for more information.
More than 35 trusted partners are currently developing against the Geocaching Live API, on everything from mobile devices to desktop applications. Stay tuned for multiple releases coming very soon.
What else is new?
• Added new cache attributes: Seasonal Access, Teamwork Required, Tourist Friendly, Tree Climbing and Front Yard (private residence)
• Added Hungarian translations to Geocaching.com
• Retroactively awarded Mega event Souvenirs for 4 recent events
• Increased total number of assignable cache attributes from 10 to 15
• Localized Basic and Premium registration pages so they can be translated in other languages
• Increased the number of Trackable activation codes that can be retrieved within a one hour period
• Added an option in search results to highlight "beginner caches" (low difficulty/traditional type/recently found etc.)
• Added Twitter and Facebook sharing options to cache log pages, visit your profile or geocaching.com/my/sharing.aspx to connect your accounts
• Added the ability to temporarily close the yellow banner announcing scheduled maintenance on Geocaching.com
• Added special Block Party icon for annual Groundspeak headquarters event
• Fixed bug which caused a Trackable to enter a limbo state if marked missing and moved to the owner's collection
• Membership referral field when creating an account will now properly recognize extended characters in usernames
• Changed "Waypoint Name" to "GC Code" on Create a Pocket Query form
• When previewing a Cache Along a Route the highlighted portion of the map will now properly adjust in size based on the zoom level
• Added Chatham Islands as a region for New Zealand and now allowing caches placed there to have a West longitude
• Fixed bug on home page search where street addresses were not recognized without a postal code
• Fixed bug which prevented marking a Trackable missing when language set to German or Czech
• Added missing "generic" Geocoin icon to Trackables inventory page and Trackable map
• Fixed bug where retracted caches would still appear on the map for a short time
• Fixed support request form to properly auto-populate your username when filling out a support inquiry
• Caches found in the African nation Congo no longer incorrectly appear on the statistics map in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
• Fixed profile statistics display in which the first cache type in a bar chart was truncated
• Fixed bug in advanced search which improperly included found or owned caches in search results when the user requested they be excluded
• Disabled Send to GPS link for PMO caches when viewed by a logged in Basic Member
• Fixed paragraph formatting for print-friendly cache pages
• Added a new text entry field on Trackables lookup page for situations where the Trackable ID was first entered incorrectly
• Fixed bug which prevented the resending of validation emails when the first email was misplaced
• Updated cache creation page to require a state selection when submitting caches for Belgium
• Fixed Trackables description display issue which cause emoticons to disrupt HTML formatting
• Updated cache log smiley icons to the higher contrast versions used on the map
• Fixed styling issue on account creation page causing error message to be misaligned
• Changed link on Travel Bugs ordering info page from shop.groundspeak.com to shop.geocaching.com
• Added ability for cache owners to set the "Needs Maintenance" attribute on caches they own
Many thanks to all geocachers who have provided feedback on User Voice. Happy Geocaching!