DS_Store error when using Garmin MapInstall on a Mac

I've been trying to load some topo maps from GPS FileDepot and Above the Timber onto my new eTrex 20. MapInstall finds the device okay, but after I open the desired map and click Send Maps, I get the following error message:

There was a problem while installing maps on your device. Ensure that the device is plugged in and turned

on, and try again.

.DS_Store

I know that DS_Store is some kind of Mac OS X system file. I searched these forums and only found that file causing a problem with certain Garmin units shutting down, not with installing maps. I found some other information indicating that the program BlueHarvest can remove that file, or perhaps I could do it myself from Terminal, but I don't want to start messing around with system files without being absolutely sure what I'm doing. FYI, here are the files that are at the top level of the eTrex 20, and in the Garmin folder:

/Volumes/GARMIN

._.Trashes

.DS_Store

.fseventsd

.Spotlight-V100

.Trashes

.VolumeIcon.icns

autorun.inf

Documents

Garmin

/Volumes/GARMIN/Garmin

.DS_Store

.Position.gpx

BirdsEye

CustomMaps

CustomSymbols

ExtData

Filters

fs_image.ver

GarminDevice.xml

Garmintriangletm.ico

gmapbmap.img

gmapbmap.sum

gmaptz.img

GPX

JPEG

POI

Profiles

scrn

startup.txt

system.xml

Text

Some of the "dot" files, such as .DS_Store and .Trashes, may well have been created by my Mac, but .Position.gpx sure sounds like one created by the eTrex itself. So I don't want to go randomly deleting hidden files.

I also found reference to a UNIX "touch" command that could allegedly keep the Mac from creating these files anew whenever I connect the Garmin to it.

So...why is MapInstall freaking out about the .DS_Store file? If that file needs to go away, can I do an "rm" from the command line, or should I use BlueHarvest? Are any of the other hidden files a problem? The eTrex shows up on my desktop as a FAT32-formatted device, so those Mac-generated files might be extraneous, but I don't want to delete any files that would keep the Mac from being able to read the device.

Thanks!

Patty