For the love of.......please STOP Lamp Post Caches

AmishHacker

I have seen a few topics on this but I just cannot hold it in any longer. Swarm of surprise wasps came after me this last week when trying to log a LPC. When Geocaching is not fun....I don't want to do it. I do not know of anything that can be more boring or unimaginative than these LPC's. I can see them coming a mile away and is always in a muggle rich area. All I do is try to look like I am not doing a drug drop off and not get stung.

There were none of these when I started in 2003. I guess someone did it and every figured it would be an easy thing to do. PLEASE STOP. Browse my thread "Cool Cache Containers" for some inspiration. I really think they should be banned. (EDIT: Ok not banned as long as they follow the original Geocaching rules....just think twice SEE POSTS BELOW) Another one I did this past week had a skirt that was tight. It scraped and made a very loud noise all the way up. You could see where it was lifted up each time and actually marked up the pole. It is technically damage to private property.

Your friend,

AmishHacker

Edited by AmishHacker

I have seen a few topics on this but I just cannot hold it in any longer. Swarm of surprise wasps came after me this last week when trying to log a LPC. When Geocaching is not fun....I don't want to do it. I do not know of anything that can be more boring or unimaginative than these LPC's. I can see them coming a mile away and is always in a muggle rich area. All I do is try to look like I am not doing a drug drop off and not get stung.

There were none of these when I started in 2003. I guess someone did it and every figured it would be an easy thing to do. PLEASE STOP. Browse my thread "Cool Cache Containers" for some inspiration. I really think they should be banned. Another one I did this past week had a skirt that was tight. It scraped and made a very loud noise all the way up. You could see where it was lifted up each time and actually marked up the pole. It is technically damage to private property.

Your friend,

AmishHacker

You joined 11 days after me in 2003. No, I didn't see any back then either, but when I said they probably had them in Nashville at that time, the locals there jumped all over me. :anibad:

I will post a very early IBTL, with the first reply. Unless someone hit enter before me. :)

There were none of these when I started in 2003. I guess someone did it and every figured it would be an easy thing to do. PLEASE STOP. Browse my thread "Cool Cache Containers" for some inspiration. I really think they should be banned. Another one I did this past week had a skirt that was tight. It scraped and made a very loud noise all the way up. You could see where it was lifted up each time and actually marked up the pole. It is technically damage to private property.

Your friend,

AmishHacker

Why not just not go for those caches?

Your friend,

AmishHacker

Is this a real rant or just a very slick way of yet again patting yourself on the back for your CCC thread?

IBTL

I tried to reword the OP into a rant about ice cream but it didn't work very well. Congratulation to the OP for reiterating many of the complaints we've heared about LPC is a context that I couldn't make it sound like he was complaining about some ice cream flavor he was tired of. I found my first LPC in August 2004, about a year after the OP started. They were probably in some areas before then.

The issues as alway are "Why are these hides so popular?" and "Why do some people come to despise them so much?"

Why are these hides so popular? The main issue caches have is being discovered by muggles and disappearing. It's fairly easy to hide caches in the woods where muggles won't find them. It's a bit harder in urban and suburban areas. Geocachers have discovered you can put something under a lamppost skirt and it last much longer than hiding it under a park bench or in a newspaper rack. Leaving a box hanging in some bushes and it will soon be found by the gardeners when they trim the bush. While you would think that a store would notice the skirt sitting askew or the marks on the pole where it was lifted up and scraped the paint, it just doesn't happen that often. LPC caches seem to last. Even in high muggle areas, few muggles are bothered when they see someone looking under a lamppost skirt. Once and awhile some will report it and the bomb squad comes out, but this seems to be a rare phenomenon. A larger container left in a secluded spot behind the store is more likely to cause a bomb scare. Face it. This is just too good of technique for hiding a cache in an urban area to let it pass.

Why are there some cachers, like the OP, who want people to stop using this technique?. The biggest complaint seems to be that these caches are so common it has become boring to find them. It would be ideal, I suppose, if all geocachers were creative and every hide was unique. The reality is most people will repeat hides they have seen that are successful. Many cachers in fact enjoy these quick easy finds. The may actually enjoy being able to grab a cache on the fly and not spend time searching for something hidden is such an unexpected way that it takes a through search and significant time. LPCs are one of those hiding types that are easily avoided. Generally you can see from the satellite maps that's where the cache is going to be. But if you still end up pulling into a parking lot and the GPS arrow is point to a lamp post, nobody is forcing you to stop, get out of the car, and look.

As far as wasp nests under the skirt - I don't recall ever being stung when looking for an LPC. I've be stung many times when hiking in the hills looking for ammo cans. However, I find the not knowing what you might find wnen you lift that skirt all the excitement I need to enjoy these hunts. Not only might there be stinging insects of some kind, but I'm never sure what is hidden there. It is rarely the cliche of a 35mm film can. I have found a number of different container types of different size, some magnetically attached to the inside of the skirt so you don't find anything when you first lift it. I've found complete miniature sets with the cache hidden in them. I've found fake scorpions and tarantulas that disguised the cache. And I've found nothing under the lamppost skirt with a cache hidden using some other technique nearby. So when some people say these are boring I have trouble understanding this.

Keelmann And Cici - Easier said than done. Of course if you can get a satellite image of the cache than you can guess that it is one of them. Most of my urban caching is done with a smart phone. I am not going to know until I see I am led to a parking lot.

GeoBain - really?

tozainamboku - Thanks for your views.

Keelmann And Cici - Easier said than done. Of course if you can get a satellite image of the cache than you can guess that it is one of them. Most of my urban caching is done with a smart phone. I am not going to know until I see I am led to a parking lot.

GeoBain - really?

Well, I find it difficult to believe that someone puts a gun to your head and forces you to find LPCs.

But it is very plausible that you like to let everyone know you started the CCC thread. You return about once a year and comment on how that thread and the avatar thread have so many posts and are still going after so many years. Then you slip back into obscurity.

So yep, really.

GeoBain - really?

Well, I find it difficult to believe that someone puts a gun to your head and forces you to find LPCs.

But it is very plausible that you like to let everyone know you started the CCC thread. You return about once a year and comment on how that thread and the avatar thread have so many posts and are still going after so many years. Then you slip back into obscurity.

So yep, really.

GeoBain - Did not know you were such a fan to keep an eye on my postings. What ever you think my intentions are.....I still love you.

For the love of.......please STOP trying to ban any caches you don't like.

I am sorry you cannot take a little time and research the caches you go for. I am also sorry you feel you must, for some reason, search for everything you load into your GPS,(or phone.)

However, calling for the ban of any caches you don't like is just silly. <_<

I agree I feel like I am doing something wrong when I am opening them up but don't see banning them as the answer. Sometimes I am surprised when I do open one up and that is not the spot and it is somewhere else!

-WarNinjas

If I feel like I am doing something wrong I generally do not look for the container. I suppose that if Groundspeak got serious about guidelines requiring permission before a cache is placed on private property, there would be a lot less of these hides. Although I generally think that life is too short to spend time opening up lamp skirts, the first one I did is on my favorites list - who would have thought these things lift up? Genius.

Edited by geodarts

GeoBain - really?

So yep, really.

GeoBain - Did not know you were such a fan to keep an eye on my postings. What ever you think my intentions are.....I still love you.

Actually, I am quite a fan of several of your threads. The avatar one, the CCC one, and Jeopardy one. You also have a very unique name and avatar which makes it easy to spot you when you do show up. Just a shame that it's always the same type of posts.

Browse my thread "Cool Cache Containers" for some inspiration.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=87033&view=findpost&p=4862335

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62421&view=findpost&p=4862328

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=72689&view=findpost&p=4369341

You've got a few very creative threads. They don't need bumping. I'd love to see some new stuff.

GeoBain - Sorry but sometimes I repeat myself...I repeat myself. Anyway...back on topic. Maybe I just need to get out there and create a LPC that is different or that I find interesting. So I guess I have a little homework and will report back. Back in the day I was getting tired of Altoids Strips under benches....so I guess this is the new fad.

uxorious - I will admit when I am wrong. When I look at my original post I said I think they should be banned. That's a little extreme and I actually would not support banning something that fits within the original rules of Geocaching. I just hope that these LPC does not dumb down the sport. I know there are exceptions to the standard LPC and I have challenged myself to do just that in hopes of expanding my thinking about them.

Again - Thanks to everyone for their comments. BTW have you checked out my other threads? ..... KIDDING! or am I :P

First they came for the LPCs, and I did not speak out--

because I did not own an LPC;

Then they came for the MISTs, and I did not speak out--

because I did not own a MIST;

Then they came for the PNGs, and I did not speak out--

because I did not own a PNG;

Then they came for the FPCs, and I did not speak out--

because I did not own an FPC;

Then they came for the GRCs, and I did not speak out--

because I did not own a GRC;

Then they came for the UPS caches,...

Where does it stop? If you don't like them, then don't look for them, and/or stop looking when you realize it's a type you don't like. If you think there are real issues with them (e.g., lack of adequate permission), then deal with those real issues and stop muddying the water by complaining that they are boring and unimaginative.

Your friend,

AmishHacker

How do you know it's one of "those caches" until you went there and found it?

I am sorry you cannot take a little time and research the caches you go for. I am also sorry you feel you must, for some reason, search for everything you load into your GPS,(or phone.)

I agree with this. If you don't like LPCs, then don't go find them. End of story. There are only about a million other caches to find in the world.

I agree with this. If you don't like LPCs, then don't go find them. End of story. There are only about a million other caches to find in the world.

+1.

I found my first LPC in February 2003, so they did exist back then. It was by the well-known (gasp) Marki & Joani, in California. I remember marveling (then) at how clever it was - who knew those skirts lifted?

A few years and thousands of caches later, I too find them lame. However, many new cachers share the wonder I had then, so I would ever force my personal caching preferences on anyone else. (And yes, I've encountered wasps when lifting a lamp skirt - and in a guardrail, and in the woods, and...) And then there are those cachers who cannot get out into the mountains the way I do and need easy, nonphysical caches.

So, to each their own. Don't like 'em, don't do 'em.

Edited by hydnsek

Your friend,

AmishHacker

A lot of the posts regarding LPCs would make more sense if they went something like this:

I like to look for caches in parking lots. They're quick and easy and usually there is plenty of parking. A lot are in useful places. It's really great to be able to stop for a Starbucks or do my shopping at WalMart when I'm out caching. So I really appreciate that people are leaving caches for me to find in these places. But lately every parking lot cache is an LPC. Can't anyone think of a better way to hide a cache in a a parking lot than under the skirt of the lamppost. I really don't mind looking around parked cars or in the bushes in the landscaping around the lighted sign at the entrance, but when you lift up the skirt on the lamppost it makes an awful sound and I'm certain that is calling attention to me.

But I don't see any posts that say this. It would seem to me that if you don't like LPCs, you are really complaining about caches in a parking lots that are not in some location you find interesting enough for a cache. You certainly can look at the map before you go and get a good idea what caches are in places like this. And when you see the arrow on the GPS pointing into a parking lot you can certainly click "find next" and skip this cache that you're not going to enjoy. I don't believe these caches are hard to avoid at all.

While you might miss a really clever camouflage hide in a parking lot now and again, or their might be an historic marker where the cache is hidden that tells you something interesting you wouldn't have know otherwise; these are rare for parking lot hides. I think if you despise LPCs that much, you can miss a "good" cache once and awhile. If it is really that great, I suspect it will get a few favorite votes so might use that to make sure you don't miss anything you might really want to find.

One of the things I like about geocaching is that it has a little bit of something for everyone. I am an avid hiker and mtn climber and enjoy caching while doing that. I also take care of my nephews a couple times week, one of them being autisic. I could never take him on long cache hunts because he is not able to focus for more than a minute or so. So I will specifically look for lamp post or guard rail caches so he can expierence the thrill of finding a cache. Some of my most fondest caching memories is seeing his excitement when finding these type of caches.

Just because you don't particulary enjoy them doesn't mean they should be banned. Different people like different things and thats one of the things that make this game great.

Easier said than done. Of course if you can get a satellite image of the cache than you can guess that it is one of them. Most of my urban caching is done with a smart phone. I am not going to know until I see I am led to a parking lot.

So, once you know (or assume) it's an LPC, why not just turn around and search for a different cache? What is this mystical force that drags you over against your will and makes you lift up the skirt and find a cache you detest?

Jumping on the soap box...putting on the asbestos suit. As a noob of sorts, I find all this crap about what is a proper container or hide smells of some type of strange cacher elitism. It would be nice if everyone used such and such container under such and such conditions. The fact is that some seem to forget is this is a hobby everyone can enjoy. Some people do not have the money to buy Official Bison Tubes, or other "approved" containers. They do not have the skill, time or desire to make caches. They do with what they have or can afford, which is pill bottles, tupperware, altoid tins, etc. etc. As for the LPC, have you ever thought they might be one of the easier hides for disabled or young cachers to hide? Yes, we all know LPC are a bit boring...but without a little boring, those special caches wouldn't be so appreciated. As it has been said, if you don't like those type of hides, don't look for them. Why do some feel the need to control the actions of others. Control your own actions and leave others alone. Next I am waiting for the thread about containers only Jesus would use.....

Jumping on the soap box...putting on the asbestos suit. As a noob of sorts, I find all this crap about what is a proper container or hide smells of some type of strange cacher elitism. It would be nice if everyone used such and such container under such and such conditions. The fact is that some seem to forget is this is a hobby everyone can enjoy. Some people do not have the money to buy Official Bison Tubes, or other "approved" containers. They do not have the skill, time or desire to make caches. They do with what they have or can afford, which is pill bottles, tupperware, altoid tins, etc. etc. As for the LPC, have you ever thought they might be one of the easier hides for disabled or young cachers to hide? Yes, we all know LPC are a bit boring...but without a little boring, those special caches wouldn't be so appreciated. As it has been said, if you don't like those type of hides, don't look for them. Why do some feel the need to control the actions of others. Control your own actions and leave others alone. Next I am waiting for the thread about containers only Jesus would use.....

Yeah, but that would only lead into religion being spoken about on the forum being frowned upon. :mad:

Face it, as long as you have this many people doing something you're going to get every sort there is.

MULLY

Yeah, but that would only lead into religion being spoken about on the forum being frowned upon. :mad:

Face it, as long as you have this many people doing something you're going to get every sort there is.

MULLY

Well, I don't know about Jesus, but this is how they did it like 100 years ago. That's two days in a row I've pimped your videos, Freddo. :P

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Next I am waiting for the thread about containers only Jesus would use.....

MULLY

Religion?.....I was referring to Jesus, my gardener. :rolleyes:

I did my first LPC at 3AM to avoid hostiles, and the SCRAAAAAAAAAAAPING sound it made when I lifted the skirt was epic, rebounding off all the surrounding buildings.

I laughed, a lot - it reminded me of the scene near the beginning of Men In Black when Will Smith drags the table across the floor to fill out his questionnaire.

How about an LPC attribute for filtering: attribute_lpc.png

LOL! Do you REALLY believe that calling for a ban on anything in these forums is going to be taken seriously by Groundspeak? :lol:

LOL! Do you REALLY believe that calling for a ban on anything in these forums is going to be taken seriously by Groundspeak? :lol:

They banned the idea of counting Challenges as finds pretty quickly. :ph34r:

As for lifting skirts... If the hole is wide enough, you should be able to wiggle it up without making loud noises. That is, lift one side of the skirt, hold it against the pole, then lift the other side, hold it against the pole, then rinse and repeat.

Oh man, is there really no clean way of saying all that? :ph34r:

Of course if you can get a satellite image of the cache than you can guess that it is one of them. Most of my urban caching is done with a smart phone. I am not going to know until I see I am led to a parking lot.

Your smartphone doesn't give you satellite images? Not very smart of it... :laughing:

There are apps out there with satelite images. I use GeoHunter on my Droid, but I'm sure there are many others. I'd daresay a geo-app that doesn't allow you to switch to satelite images is not a good app...

I avoid most LPCs by simply skipping most parking lot caches.

Take a minute to read the description and see if there's something about the cache that suggests it is something other than an LPC.

First they came for the LPCs, and I did not speak out--

Then they came for the MISTs, and I did not speak out--

Then they came for the PNGs, and I did not speak out--

Then they came for the FPCs, and I did not speak out--

Then they came for the GRCs, and I did not speak out--

Then they came for the UPS caches,...

You're just making up acronyms aren't you? :laughing:

Seriously, I've never heard of a MIST, FPC, or UPS cache - what are they?

I find all this crap about what is a proper container or hide smells of some type of strange cacher elitism. It would be nice if everyone used such and such container under such and such conditions. The fact is that some seem to forget is this is a hobby everyone can enjoy. Some people do not have the money to buy Official Bison Tubes, or other "approved" containers. They do not have the skill, time or desire to make caches. They do with what they have or can afford, which is pill bottles, tupperware, altoid tins, etc. etc.

There's a difference between and LPC / GRIM and a film can / altoids tin.

LPCs/GRIMs are considered "lame" or "boring" by some and some people avoid them (like myself), but some people enjoy their quick simplcity. They are a style of hide and as with any style there are some that enjoy them.

Except for some clever use of it, a 35mm film can or altoids tin by itself is a bad container. Not "bad" but bad. It's not really subjective: they are neither durable nor watertight which are surely aspects of what makes a good container we can all agree on? (Unlike the endless debate on a "good cache" or "good hide") Is there actually a subset of cachers who enjoys finding a log that is a pile of soggy mush? That enjoys a container that is broken or full of water or rusted?

Take pride in your hides. If you can't afford a watertight and durable container perhaps you shouldn't hide a cache yet?

BTW if you want to hide a micro, matchstick containers are $1 at Walmart.

Edited by Joshism

Whether Groundspeak takes anything in the forums as a serious matter is a different topic. Yet, even if Jeremy is never going to address lamp skirt hides, I suppose it might get someone to think about why they want to place a cache in a parking lot, which has never been a particular source of inspiration to me so at least the discussion is not personal.

Or it could get someone to think twice before assuring Groundspeak that they have received the land owner's or manager's permission to place a container in their lamp skirt - assuming most of us like to think that we are people of our word.

But it could also get people to think about how great it would be to place a cache in the skirt of a lamp post, go out and get permission, and create a mini-diorama depicting Dave Ulmer hiding the first cache.

Edited by geodarts

MULLY

Well, then, it just moves into racism then.

MULLY

never seen a lamp post skirt. do the old ones have a poodle on them?

Edited by mullyman

Whether Groundspeak takes anything in the forums as a serious matter is a different topic. Yet, even if Jeremy is never going to address lamp skirt hides, I suppose it might get someone to think about why they want to place a cache in a parking lot, which has never been a particular source of inspiration to me so at least the discussion is not personal.

Or it could get someone to think twice before assuring Groundspeak that they have received the land owner's or manager's permission to place a container in their lamp skirt - assuming most of us like to think that we are people of our word.

But it could also get people to think about how great it would be to place a cache in the skirt of a lamp post, go out and get permission, and create a mini-diorama depicting Dave Ulmer hiding the first cache.

You are taking my quote out of context. I didn't say that in context of suggesting people should not start threads calling for the ban of certain types of caches. Quite the opposite.

MULLY

MULLY

Not if that really is his gardener's name.

Your friend,

AmishHacker

If you approach GZ and it's a lamp post, just turn around and walk away. Problem solved.

MULLY

MULLY

To meander off topic for a sec....my gardner's name is Tran. The Jesus the gardener comment was a response to Mully's in ability to find the sarcastic humor in my Jesus and containers comment. I thought I would lay another one out to see if he would bite...which he did. As I said, people take things WAY to serious at times.... If anyone is offended by either Jesus comments, I am sorry. Now back to the serious debate of the banning of LPC.

MULLY

MULLY

To meander off topic for a sec....my gardner's name is Tran. The Jesus the gardener comment was a response to Mully's in ability to find the sarcastic humor in my Jesus and containers comment. I thought I would lay another one out to see if he would bite...which he did. As I said, people take things WAY to serious at times.... If anyone is offended by either Jesus comments, I am sorry. Now back to the serious debate of the banning of LPC.

Well, is the whole tread really about banning them? Then I always pretty much considered the fact that almost all of them are on private property without permission, and published under a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, look the other way policy" to be the trump card. :lol:

I have no problem with LPC's, a few a day are fine. As you find more and more caches it simply becomes a matter of if you found a particular type of hide dozens of times or hundreds of times.....even ammo cans.

In the woods you can do anything you want.....you're way more limited in an urban environment ( and no, it probably wasen't possible to put a different kind and yes you can put one there just because there is an area REQUIRING a cache )

Well, is the whole tread really about banning them? Then I always pretty much considered the fact that almost all of them are on private property without permission, and published under a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, look the other way policy" to be the trump card. :lol:

Yep...I agree. Actually, I thought the original post was a bit trollish. The damage to private property assertion is ridiculous. You are not damaging private property by moving a cowling that is designed to be lifted, unless you are lifting it with your car. The private property assertion has merit. Actually, the private property issue is interesting. We just take the CO word they have permission, as we wander round looking for caches. In some areas, that could be a big problem if permission has not actually given, and you wander into an illegal farm for example, looking for that prized ammo box. Maybe a solution is that if a cache is placed on private property the CO should be required to state in the cache description when and who gave permission. In the case of question when out looking, the seeker could say, "Permission was given on (Date) by (name of property owner). That might prevent some unpleasant conflicts, and give seekers a peace of mind.

Edited by Russ!

MULLY

MULLY

Well why not? The latest HQ video about mountain biking and caching clearly shows doing a cache that violates the guidelines by defacing property. Hey, if you can deface property and have your cache highlighted why not ignore the permission rule.