Oregon and Dakota comparaison.

fradjoh

Hi,

I'm currently shopping a GPSr for somebody else. She wants one that has touchscreen. The only two models I know that have the touchscreen feature are the Oregon and Dakota family. How do they compare to each other? I know that the Dakota's screen is a bit smaller (2,6 inches vs 3 inches). Is there anything else I should know?

I should mention that I already have an Oregon 300. Do the Dakotas have the same kind of features?

Thanks.

When comparing the Dakota and the Oregon units and they both have the same basic features the only difference comes down to screen size. The Dakota's are basically a smaller version of the Oragons. When comparing same feature sets.

Wherigo support is also a notable difference, which may be a deal breaker for some people.

Hi,

I'm currently shopping a GPSr for somebody else. She wants one that has touchscreen. The only two models I know that have the touchscreen feature are the Oregon and Dakota family. How do they compare to each other? I know that the Dakota's screen is a bit smaller (2,6 inches vs 3 inches). Is there anything else I should know?

I should mention that I already have an Oregon 300. Do the Dakotas have the same kind of features?

Thanks.

I would definitely go with the Oregon 450 on Black Friday due to the price it is going to be available for - $250 at Cabelas and probably other vendors, too. I went from an Oregon 400 to the 450 and am glad I did.

I would definitely go with the Oregon 450 on Black Friday due to the price it is going to be available for - $250 at Cabelas and probably other vendors, too. I went from an Oregon 400 to the 450 and am glad I did.

Why is the 450 better than the 400?

The 450 screen is better in sunlight. See http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-450-videos.html?youtube=ORHi9V6h7Og

And a good comparison of the sizes...

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-450-videos.html?youtube=mLkaLON_7rM

Why is the 450 better than the 400?

The 450 screen is better in sunlight. See http://www.gpscity.c...ube=ORHi9V6h7Og

And a good comparison of the sizes...

http://www.gpscity.c...ube=mLkaLON_7rM

Plus, I do a lot of custom symbols (waypoints and POIs) the 450 can use custom waypoint symbols, the 400 couldn't.

Edited by eaparks

If you can - go look at them at a local store. I have a Dakota and I think the screen tech is the same as the Oregon - just smaller......but is sure is a PITA. You need full sun to see it and as soon as you get in shade or even your body blocks it - your trying every which angle to read it or turning up the brighness etc....

They are very popular and a lot of people like them.....but I'm really surprised at how bad they are with varying lighting conditions and are so popular. Yes - the touch screen is really nice - but if I can't see it....that doesn't help any....Maybe the Oregon is much better - I just haven't had a chance to compare them togehter hence my suggestion to go to a store and get your hands on them which I'll be doing soon. I'm looking at either the Montana which is much brighter or the 62 right now....? Food for thought!