beginner gps

How much are you looking to spend?

hi:"

thanks for response.. i m looking for spending like 200.00

IMHO.... one of two GPSrs....

Garmin Venture HC.. good unit for a beginner and easy to use. About $129 retail.

Garmin Etrex 20.... Allows for "paperless" caching, a bit more complex to get used to but then it is easy to use, holds more caches. About $189 retail.

That's one view. Here's another. I use my GPS for hiking and caching, never needed a 3 axis compass for either ... why pay for something you don't need even if you can afford it?

If you want to spend more then great, but I agree with Daz ... for sub 200 you can't beat the new Etrex 20 :)

Just offering a suggestion.

My husband and I bought our first handheld and ended up selling it after 1 week because it didn't have a 3 axis compass or the ability to enter next stage for multi's.

Just sayin..... been there done that.

I'm with the others that suggest you look closely at the Etrex 20... I have the Erex Venture HC and it is a fine unit but because it is limited to the amount of inboard memory of 24 MB ONLY, it is limiting to some degree.

I just picked up a new Oregon 450 at Cabela's low price and if it wasn't for the low price on that unit I would have prob. gone with the ETrex 20.

Remember to come back and let us know what you end up with...

Keith in WA

Hey. Thanks u all for good info. I prob getting the etrex 20 today, Sunday.

Looking fwd to start cache. Do I need another program to download grids?

I'm not exactly familiar with the new eTrex series, but for most of the paperless models you can drag/drop your .gpx files into the unit. No additional software should be required. Mayhaps someone more familiar can confirm this.

Later!

Can see the sense in ability to cope with multi's, but just exactly why did you feel you needed a 3 axis compass when most folks cope perfectly well without?

It makes geocaching easier.

And again, it was a suggestion. I would hope anyone reading these responses will do their own research:

1) Learn exactly what a 3 axis is / does.

2) Decide for themselves if they need / want it.

The compass points to exactly the path you need to walk towards no matter where you are standing. Takes the guess work out of it and makes it easier for some of us 'directionally challenged' geocachers.

Edited by Lieblweb