Google maps, workaround

geo-jon

:lol: Oh, the irony! The site is timing out right now! :P

Would some of you guys mind waiting until I get it installed?

The other one, same site is: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/125938

The link was removed the other day, presumably by a mod, and Moun10bike restored it with the comment he will tell the mods that it is okay. Raine's comment is that GS can not legally put the javascript links on the maps. My take is that GS is well aware of the javascript and feels it does not expose them to liabilities.

Edited by jholly

:lol: Oh, the irony! The site is timing out right now! :P

Would some of you guys mind waiting until I get it installed?

The other one, same site is: http://userscripts.o...pts/show/125938

The link was removed the other day, presumably by a mod, and Moun10bike restored it with the comment he will tell the mods that it is okay. Raine's comment is that GS can not legally put the javascript links on the maps. My take is that GS is well aware of the javascript and feels it does not expose them to liabilities.

I've been using this one since the day the maps were changed last week and it works great. It's been kind of fun to watch all the complaints from people who haven't read through the whole thread in the Release Notes forum. I know that not everyone uses firefox. I only used it occasionally prior to last week but this was the last push I needed to make the jump and now it's my default browser.

I had switched off of Firefox and over to Chrome because the sync of not just book marks but history, etc. across multiple computers was a killer app for me. I will continue to use Chrome as my default browser, but the moment I saw this script I flew like the wind to update to the latest FF 10 and greasemonkey.

BTW, in many parts of the world, google and bing offer greater zoom levels that the defaults, you can manually edit the max zoom levels in the greasemonkey script.

I just downloaded the greasemonkey less than a half hour ago and I have already doctored my own up by removing all the Eniro related code, editing the max zoom levels on google and bing, and then adding in 6 of my own super secret map sources.

This is pretty much the coolest thing since the wheel.

I had switched off of Firefox and over to Chrome because the sync of not just book marks but history, etc. across multiple computers was a killer app for me. I will continue to use Chrome as my default browser, but the moment I saw this script I flew like the wind to update to the latest FF 10 and greasemonkey.

BTW, in many parts of the world, google and bing offer greater zoom levels that the defaults, you can manually edit the max zoom levels in the greasemonkey script.

I just downloaded the greasemonkey less than a half hour ago and I have already doctored my own up by removing all the Eniro related code, editing the max zoom levels on google and bing, and then adding in 6 of my own super secret map sources.

Care to share?

I also edited out the Enviro stuff... not needed here. What did you change the max values to (and what are your top secret maps?)

That's all well and good for those of you who know what all of that means. I have no idea what Firefox, Greasemonkey or scripts are. Anyone care to give the Computers for Dummies version?

I absolutely HATE this map situation. I want to plan a trip tomorrow and normally I'd bring up a map of where I'm going and scroll it around and plan a route. The current maps don't download, can't scroll without losing whole sections and I'm unable to even plan a simple day trip. Totally sucks!!!!!!!

Simple,

Firefox is a browser, like Internet explorer.........

here are the steps to sort this.

Step 1: Go to the Mozilla website HERE and download firefox..... follow the instructions to install it.

Step 2: Click HERE and click "add to firefox"

Step 3: Close down firefox and restart it again.

Step 4: Click HERE and select "install"

Job Done.

Now use firefox instead of Internet explorer and google maps run in it, maps are back as they were.

Thats about as simple as I can make it.

Geo-Jon

Edited by geo-jon

That's all well and good for those of you who know what all of that means. I have no idea what Firefox, Greasemonkey or scripts are. Anyone care to give the Computers for Dummies version?

Firefox is simply another browser, the program you use to surf web pages. If you are a windows user you are probably using Internet Explorer, if you are a Mac user, probably Safari. But there are several very well known, and a few lesser known alternative browsers. Firefox is the most popular of these. The other two fairly popular ones would be Chrome (written by Google) and Opera.

Some browsers (especially firefox) allow the concept of plug-ins or extensions... Tiny little programs that you can add on to that browser to do something useful or interesting. One of these plug-ins for Firefox is called Greasemonkey. Greasemonkey is a scripting plug-in that allows people to write very robust scripts that interact with any webpage that is loaded by that browser. Greasemonkey could, for instance, over-ride font sizes if you were a person with vision limitations. What someone has done is created a greasemonkey script that over-rides the built-in map sources that are embedded in the Groundspeak web page.

Hope this helps.

Google Chrome has some limited native support for many types of greasemonkey scripts. I tested this script in Chrome and it doesn't work. :(

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/125926

This one seems to work with Chrome.

Works in Chrome, but not getting the map options with it. The firefox one seems to be the best atm.

EDIT: Correction, map options working fine, but if you're from the UK and using the Ordnance Survey extension, you'll need to disable it first.

Edited by C8W9

I absolutely HATE this map situation. I want to plan a trip tomorrow and normally I'd bring up a map of where I'm going and scroll it around and plan a route. The current maps don't download, can't scroll without losing whole sections and I'm unable to even plan a simple day trip. Totally sucks!!!!!!!

Firefox is a browser. Unfortunately it does not come pre-installed on windows computers. You have to actually go to Mozilla.com and download and install it. Greasemonkey is a script framework that works with Firefox. Greasmonkey can be found as an add on on the Mozilla site. The scripts referred to in this thread are small programs that are loaded on to your computer that when you bring up a Groundspeak map page they run and provide Google maps. They are found on userscripts.org, and if you peruse this thread you will find links.

I also edited out the Enviro stuff... not needed here. What did you change the max values to (and what are your top secret maps?)

For zoom levels, here in the part of the US we are in, the max zoom levels available are:

Google Street = 22

Google Hybrid = 21

Google Aerial = 21

Google Terrain = 22

For most of Europe Eniro will go to 22

got it to work. Yes, I installed the FLV player as it seemed to do that as part of the process (as opposed to a few programs I said no to), but in truth, not sure I have to use that or not. Anyone know if this FLV player is needed?

Apart from the FLV confusion, I see that now the Google maps work for me, assuming I use Firefox. That's cool.

UPDATE...I just removed FLV by uninstalling it and it seems to still work. So yeah, don't install that like I did.

Edited by lamoracke

got it to work. Yes, I installed the FLV player as it seemed to do that as part of the process (as opposed to a few programs I said no to), but in truth, not sure I have to use that or not. Anyone know if this FLV player is needed?

Apart from the FLV confusion, I see that now the Google maps work for me, assuming I use Firefox. That's cool.

No FLV player is not needed.... it plays flash content... like youtube content..... but I aint going there !!!

Can't seem to get it to work. I already run Firefox. Installed Greasemonkey, restarted browser, installed the script, nothing. Both Greasemonkey and the script show to be enabled but I still get the same crappy mapquest map. Any advise?

In the upper right corner of the map do you get a selection that include Google maps?

Can't seem to get it to work. I already run Firefox. Installed Greasemonkey, restarted browser, installed the script, nothing. Both Greasemonkey and the script show to be enabled but I still get the same crappy mapquest map. Any advise?

In the upper right corner of the map do you get a selection that include Google maps?

Nope, exactly the same as it was before. Does it only work with the most current version of FF perhaps?

Could you have some other script running that is interfering?

Could you have some other script running that is interfering?

Shouldn't. I just downloaded Greasemonkey toady and this is the only script I added.

For zoom levels, here in the part of the US we are in, the max zoom levels available are:

Google Street = 22

Google Hybrid = 21

Google Aerial = 21

Google Terrain = 22

For most of Europe Eniro will go to 22

Just after I asked the question, I realized how to figure it out for myself by zooming in and examining the URL. I set all of mine to 21, which should be sufficient, I think.